Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 30th October 2022, 12:07   #121  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by demomode View Post
How do I extract BD+ tables? I tried BlurayTest&Decrypt but isn't working.
it "doesn't work" is not really useful info, what exactly doesn't work. Note that BT&D and libbdplus use different filenames for the tables. Can you post the DiscID? The table probably already exists in the archive (but the filename is the MediaKey)
candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2022, 20:47   #122  |  Link
elsanto

First of all thank you very much to candela and all the other people on doom9 that have made possible to watch blu-rays "featuring" BD+ using free software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalooDP View Post
Previously there was a post in this thread with instructions on how to get BD+ disc playback working on the fly decryption on Debian based Linux distros. The post contained instructions on how to build the libbdplus library because the one in the repo wasnt sufficient. It also contained a pre built version which I used with success on my Pop OS distro for a little while, but it has stopped working. Has anyone had success in using libbdplus in the Ubuntu/Debian repos or their own build to decrypt and playback libbdplus discs on the fly again in Ubuntu 22.10 and higher distros?
I remember that post, but it is not here anymore. I red it some time ago, and followed that instructions when I was using Debian 10, some time ago.
I recently upgrade to Debian 11 (bullseye) and had to setup all this again. This is what I did. I hope it works for you:

For libaacs, I built 0.11.1 release from Debian 12 (bookworm) source repository:

As root user:
  • I added a line like "deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main" to /etc/apt/sources.list
  • I updated the package indexes: "apt update"
  • I installed some dependencies: "apt install dpkg-dev pkg-config" . pkg-config is a dependency for libbdplus.
  • I installed dependencies for building libaacs : "apt build-dep libaacs"

As an ordinary (not-privileged) user:
  • I got sources for libaacs 0.11.1 and built the deb packages: "apt source --compile libaacs"

After that I had three deb files:
  • libaacs-dev_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb
  • libaacs0_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb
  • libaacs0-dbgsym_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb

I installed the first two running as root the following commmand:
  • apt install ./libaacs-dev_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb ./libaacs0_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb

I needed to install dev package because is necessary for libbdplus building.

For libbdplus, i tried with 0.2.0 release from Debian 12 (bookworm), that according to changelog supports cached conversion tables, but it didn't worked.
The artifacts with BD+ discs are still there.

I couldn't successfully apply the patch included in 2020-07-26_libaacs_libbdplus.7z link from the first candela's post over libbdplus 0.1.2 source. I needed to download libbdplus source as it was on 2020_07_26.
You can browse the history of the code at: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l.../commits/0.2.0
The last commit before 2020_07_26 is e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2.
You can check that code at: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l...c31c7772e133d2
The tarball for the libbdplus at that temporal point can be downloaded from: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l...2e133d2.tar.gz

This is what I did to get a proper working libbdplus library:

As a normal (non privileged) user:

I got the code:
I extracted the tarball:
  • tar -xvzf libbdplus-e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2.tar.gz
I changed working directory to the just created directory:
  • cd libbdplus-e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2

Tha candela patch can be applied cleanly over this tree.

I downloaded the candela 2020-07-26_libaacs_libbdplus.7z file from first post, and extracted the candela patch: libbdplus-0001-Use-cached-conversion-tables.patch

I applied the patch. In this example the patch was in my $HOME directory (~):
  • patch -p1 -i ~/libbdplus-0001-Use-cached-conversion-tables.patch

The patch applied successfully.

Then I compiled the patched libbdplus library:
  • ./bootstrap
  • ./configure
  • make
And then, as root, I installed libbdplus library:
  • make install

This setup works for me. I hope it can be helpful to others.

Of course, I needed to put a proper KEYDB.cfg file in ~/.config/aacs and convtab files in ~/.cache/libbdplus/convtab. This is well explained over the thread.
elsanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 01:39   #123  |  Link
demomode

Quote:
Originally Posted by candela View Post
it "doesn't work" is not really useful info, what exactly doesn't work. Note that BT&D and libbdplus use different filenames for the tables. Can you post the DiscID? The table probably already exists in the archive (but the filename is the MediaKey)
[E:][0FC3A2AC76379365A762F7A5295D058C97A85AD9]
volumeid: 2697E90766193BCACA36831360D9AEB9

It's the Fight Club movie. I can watch via Leawo Player, but not with VLC.

----edit----

Okay, here's what I did. I'm using RevealX to decrypt the disc and watch, but for Fight Club it was accusing there was no Fixup Table.
So in the BlurayTestAndDecrypt was explaining how to get this BD+ table, it said I had to use Pavtube BdMagic, open the disc and get it. I did it and went back to TestAndDecrypt, it got the bd+ table, I placed into convtab but RevealX still didn't recognize it, saying it couldn't find "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42.fut", so I doubled the .bin and renamed it to the fut file Reveal was pointing, and bam. Worked.

Last edited by demomode; 3rd December 2022 at 02:07. Reason: got it working
demomode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:12   #124  |  Link
candela

Quote:
[E:][0FC3A2AC76379365A762F7A5295D058C97A85AD9]
volumeid: 2697E90766193BCACA36831360D9AEB9

It's the Fight Club movie. I can watch via Leawo Player, but not with VLC.
Seems you were trying to play the movie in VLC using menus even though it is stated that cached BD+ tables are not compatible with menus. That's why you get this "Update Player" error

Quote:

Okay, here's what I did. I'm using RevealX to decrypt the disc and watch, but for Fight Club it was accusing there was no Fixup Table.
So in the BlurayTestAndDecrypt was explaining how to get this BD+ table, it said I had to use Pavtube BdMagic, open the disc and get it. I did it and went back to TestAndDecrypt, it got the bd+ table, I placed into convtab but RevealX still didn't recognize it, saying it couldn't find "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42.fut", so I doubled the .bin and renamed it to the fut file Reveal was pointing, and bam. Worked.

I have no idea what kind of ID "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42" Xreveal is looking for

The table for your disc (DiscID=0FC3A2AC76379365A762F7A5295D058C97A85AD9 and MK=A150638CC12168AE418E42623A800BB9) has been available since the first archive of BD+ tables, i.e. A150638CC12168AE418E42623A800BB9_FIGHT_CLUB.bin

So there was no need for you to use Pavtube
Old 3rd December 2022, 21:24   #125  |  Link
demomode

Quote:
Seems you were trying to play the movie in VLC using menus even though it is stated that cached BD+ tables are not compatible with menus. That's why you get this "Update Player" error

I have no idea what kind of ID "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42" Xreveal is looking for

The table for your disc (DiscID=0FC3A2AC76379365A762F7A5295D058C97A85AD9 and MK=A150638CC12168AE418E42623A800BB9) has been available since the first archive of BD+ tables, i.e. A150638CC12168AE418E42623A800BB9_FIGHT_CLUB.bin

So there was no need for you to use Pavtube
I didn't know it was available. Well, Xreveal was asking for BD+ Fixup Tables, I just tried to rename the .bin to the one the software was looking for. It worked, playing with menus. I also don't know what ID this is.
Old 3rd December 2022, 23:16   #126  |  Link
candela

Quote:
I didn't know it was available. Well, Xreveal was asking for BD+ Fixup Tables, I just tried to rename the .bin to the one the software was looking for. It worked, playing with menus. I also don't know what ID this is.
Hmm. Are you saying that when you play the disc with menus in VLC and supplying the BD+ table:
* it works when using Xreveal
* it goes to player update screen with Libaacs/Libdplus

That shouldn't be possible unless this Xreveal is patching the menus somehow.

I notice on this Xreveal site it displays a bunch of disc related IDs under "Status". Can you post them for fight club?
Old 5th December 2022, 14:07   #127  |  Link
demomode

Quote:
Hmm. Are you saying that when you play the disc with menus in VLC and supplying the BD+ table:
* it works when using Xreveal
* it goes to player update screen with Libaacs/Libdplus

That shouldn't be possible unless this Xreveal is patching the menus somehow.
All my blu-rays plays with menu in VLC. I just don't know which of them asks for BD+ table (Now I know about Fight Club). Sometimes I use DVDFab Passkey, but since it's paid and some new blu-rays doesn't decrypt, I use Xreveal.

If Xreveal can't find the FUT, it goes to the update screen. If it finds it (or doesn't need it), the disc plays normally with menus.

You should try Xreveal and update the post

Quote:
I notice on this Xreveal site it displays a bunch of disc related IDs under "Status". Can you post them for fight club?
Where can I post it?

Last edited by demomode; 5th December 2022 at 14:16.
Old 5th December 2022, 15:49   #128  |  Link
candela

Quote:
All my blu-rays plays with menu in VLC. I just don't know which of them asks for BD+ table (Now I know about Fight Club). Sometimes I use DVDFab Passkey, but since it's paid and some new blu-rays doesn't decrypt, I use Xreveal.

If Xreveal can't find the FUT, it goes to the update screen. If it finds it (or doesn't need it), the disc plays normally with menus.

You should try Xreveal and update the post
The point of this thread is to play blurays using VLC. If you need to use Xreveal you can just as well use makemkv or dvdfab.

The thing is having the FUT table doesn't prevent the disc showing the "player update" screen in VLC. libbdplus currently isn't emulating the BD+ virtual machine properly so the menus on the disc detect this and show the "player update" screen. If this is not happening with Xreveal it must be patching the menus to circumvent this detection

So ideally we figure out what exactly it's doing so it can be implemented in libbdplus

Is that xreveal fut id "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42" for your disc listed in the Status screen? What is the name of this id there
Old 8th December 2022, 13:14   #129  |  Link
demomode

Quote:
The point of this thread is to play blurays using VLC. If you need to use Xreveal you can just as well use makemkv or dvdfab.
Ohhhh, now I see.

Quote:
Is that xreveal fut id "158CB5A4357391E6E272687AE77E3AA82E899B42" for your disc listed in the Status screen? What is the name of this id there
It's SHA

Old 8th December 2022, 23:11   #130  |  Link
candela

Thanks, still have no idea what DHA and SHA ids are supposed to be. But I decided to install this myself and tried it with the BD+ movie Rio and indeed, it fixed the menus...

I disabled all Blu-Ray settings in XReveal except "Remove BD+ protection" and checked what it was doing. It changed only 2 bytes in 1 file BDMV\BDJO\65535.bdjo. I converted this file to JSON using BDTools to make it readable

It seems to switch the value of "application_control_code" for 2 entries in "ApplicationManagementTable". Since one of them is labeled "initial_class_name": "com.macrovision.bdplus.Handshake" I'm assuming it's doing some kind of redirection, pointing a bad handshake from the BD+ VM in libbdplus to the correct menu screen (and vice versa). But I have no idea how all the java stuff works unfortunately.

It's probably not possible to implement something like this in libbdplus, since those BDJO menu files are going to be handled in libbluray

Update: after looking at bdjo_dump.c in libbluray source, Xreveal seems to be changing the control_code for the BD+ handshake from "autostart" to "present". And "present" to "autostart" for the other application. Not sure exactly what this means and how it knows what to change. Maybe it's just based on those class_names in the First Playback title (=65535.bdjo)

You can also look at these BDJO files using BDEdit

Last edited by candela; 9th December 2022 at 00:23.
Old 11th December 2022, 12:54   #131  |  Link
richy

I made a load of notes about BD+ and Xreveal a while back when I was still able to use Laewo BD Player and/or BDMagic in combination with BlurayTestAndDecrypt to produce my own BD+ tables (for comparison with the "official" ones) but I can't find where they are currently.

The one thing I do remember, and I don't know if it's of any relevance, was that having "Disable BD-Live" selected in XReveal fixed the "You need to update your player" red screen message that I'd been getting with Fox titles.

I also had a load of problems with all things Java-related in VLC for a short while until I rolled back my Java install to an earlier version... but I can't find any of the notes I'd made about that either! I can't remember if the two issues were related but I think I came to the conclusion that it was something to do with libaacs and/or libbdplus being quite out of date and not compatible with more recent versions of Java. I did nab the versions that Roof Tile compiled (earlier in this thread) but don't think I've tried them yet.

Sorry if none of this is of any help whatsoever - I've been *VERY* out of the loop due to "real life" stuff recently - but it's just that I spent quite a bit of time trying to get those Fox titles working and was pleased when I did so.... it's just a pity I'm so bad at keeping track of everything on my PC! :P
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 04:35   #132  |  Link
BalooDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanto View Post
First of all thank you very much to candela and all the other people on doom9 that have made possible to watch blu-rays "featuring" BD+ using free software.

I remember that post, but it is not here anymore. I red it some time ago, and followed that instructions when I was using Debian 10, some time ago.
I recently upgrade to Debian 11 (bullseye) and had to setup all this again. This is what I did. I hope it works for you:

For libaacs, I built 0.11.1 release from Debian 12 (bookworm) source repository:

As root user:
  • I added a line like "deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main" to /etc/apt/sources.list
  • I updated the package indexes: "apt update"
  • I installed some dependencies: "apt install dpkg-dev pkg-config" . pkg-config is a dependency for libbdplus.
  • I installed dependencies for building libaacs : "apt build-dep libaacs"

As an ordinary (not-privileged) user:
  • I got sources for libaacs 0.11.1 and built the deb packages: "apt source --compile libaacs"

After that I had three deb files:
  • libaacs-dev_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb
  • libaacs0_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb
  • libaacs0-dbgsym_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb

I installed the first two running as root the following commmand:
  • apt install ./libaacs-dev_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb ./libaacs0_0.11.1-1_amd64.deb

I needed to install dev package because is necessary for libbdplus building.

For libbdplus, i tried with 0.2.0 release from Debian 12 (bookworm), that according to changelog supports cached conversion tables, but it didn't worked.
The artifacts with BD+ discs are still there.

I couldn't successfully apply the patch included in 2020-07-26_libaacs_libbdplus.7z link from the first candela's post over libbdplus 0.1.2 source. I needed to download libbdplus source as it was on 2020_07_26.
You can browse the history of the code at: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l.../commits/0.2.0
The last commit before 2020_07_26 is e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2.
You can check that code at: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l...c31c7772e133d2
The tarball for the libbdplus at that temporal point can be downloaded from: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/l...2e133d2.tar.gz

This is what I did to get a proper working libbdplus library:

As a normal (non privileged) user:

I got the code:
I extracted the tarball:
  • tar -xvzf libbdplus-e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2.tar.gz
I changed working directory to the just created directory:
  • cd libbdplus-e98c143cbd33c3c6b0c67690dec31c7772e133d2

Tha candela patch can be applied cleanly over this tree.

I downloaded the candela 2020-07-26_libaacs_libbdplus.7z file from first post, and extracted the candela patch: libbdplus-0001-Use-cached-conversion-tables.patch

I applied the patch. In this example the patch was in my $HOME directory (~):
  • patch -p1 -i ~/libbdplus-0001-Use-cached-conversion-tables.patch

The patch applied successfully.

Then I compiled the patched libbdplus library:
  • ./bootstrap
  • ./configure
  • make
And then, as root, I installed libbdplus library:
  • make install

This setup works for me. I hope it can be helpful to others.

Of course, I needed to put a proper KEYDB.cfg file in ~/.config/aacs and convtab files in ~/.cache/libbdplus/convtab. This is well explained over the thread.
Thanks for this write-up. What is the reason for why the libbdplus library in Ubuntu distros doesn't work? Is there a flaw? Has the Candela patch not been applied? I am very curious now. Will have to get around to trying to build my own library to install over the old one. Thanks again for the instructions.
BalooDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2022, 02:22   #133  |  Link
Grimsdyke

While trying to find out why a certain disc is causing some issues I stumbled upon something and I would like to ask if it is (maybe) only my setup somehow.
Could you guys please check that if LAV SPLITTER is used that the 4 libaacs ddls are not necessary any longer for directshow-players ??
Old 2nd June 2023, 21:05   #134  |  Link
binaryflow

Hello.

I'm not new to the forum, but I have never posted before.

I bought a pair of ASUS BW-16D1X-U USB 3.0 drives a few years ago, but never used them. Internally they are BW-16D1HT. I changed the firmware to LibreDrive. I bought them in an impulse buy and forgot why, then understood the reason after a bit of impulse research about the drive

Now I'm slowly entering into "modern age" and looking at BluRay, quite interested in 4K releases and BD+. I use tons of operating systems, but I prefer Linux distributions (Archlinux, for example) as the main operating system.

I dislike how messy modern formats are, with all those nasty stuff such as AACS and BD+. I use different platforms and many of those don't officially support BD.

I did read about BD+ and Java requirements, it's very nasty but OK. Then I looked at libbdplus and it seems development stalled a year ago. Are there any updated forks? Why are there unmerged patches? What's happening? Is there an uptodate fork (I was unable to find one)? Why no new commits?

Kind regards.
binaryflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2023, 10:26   #135  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryflow View Post
Then I looked at libbdplus and it seems development stalled a year ago. Are there any updated forks? Why are there unmerged patches? What's happening? Is there an uptodate fork (I was unable to find one)? Why no new commits?
There can be no updates to libbdplus without someone reverse engineering a real player like PowerDVD or maybe Playstation3. Unfortunately this seems unlikely to happen since it is lots of effort for low benefit given BD+ isn't being used anymore by new discs and cached tables fix the playback problems.
Old 28th July 2023, 18:47   #136  |  Link
candela

Added a few more bdplus tables and new keydb.cfg link (working up to at least MKBv81) in the first post of this thread
Old 27th August 2023, 22:26   #137  |  Link
BalooDP

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can give me some more information on 4k UHD Blu-Ray Playback in Linux, even with MakeMKV if I were to have a proper drive. Is it possible in VLC? Or must the movie get ripped beforehand? Information online seems to be lacking.
BalooDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2023, 22:58   #138  |  Link
metalsonic88

In the FindVUK thread I've been looking for support getting the keys from my UHD discs. In the newest update to the program nalor seems to have fixed all the issues I have and I can generate the keys and RDK from all my UHD discs. However, playback of the disc from the drive in VLC still doesn't work properly.

In that thread, this was also posted about my issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0 View Post
I assume you're using libaacs?

If so, then libaacs needs to be patched to use AACS2 drive certificate as a drive id similar to FindVUK.
Considering what was needed to get FindVUK to work for me was reading the AACS2 drive certificate, I figure this is probably the right answer. I don't know if anyone in this thread has worked on libaacs in the past (candela perhaps?), but if anyone sees this who is able to add support for AACS2 I'd sure appreciate it. I can't do much, but I'll gladly provide more info or run tests using my drive if it gets worked on.
metalsonic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2023, 23:23   #139  |  Link
mick0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonic88 View Post
Considering what was needed to get FindVUK to work for me was reading the AACS2 drive certificate, I figure this is probably the right answer. I don't know if anyone in this thread has worked on libaacs in the past (candela perhaps?), but if anyone sees this who is able to add support for AACS2 I'd sure appreciate it. I can't do much, but I'll gladly provide more info or run tests using my drive if it gets worked on.
I've sent you a PM.
mick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2023, 02:22   #140  |  Link
dgel34

BluRay causing issues I don't understand with this playback approach

I think I'm following the rules by posting a question here...

I just got burned by the "AACS Host Certificate Revoked" issue - something I was completely unaware of. I had a KEYDB.cfg from 2018, and tried to play a disk with AACSv68 on it using VLC Media Player, with a version of libaacs from here: https://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/. I had been happily watching various BluRays up until now on my computer with VLC, not knowing there was some lurking demon ready to make things break. I have a Pioneer External BD Drive (BDR-XD05).

Well, it broke stuff, I couldn't even play old discs like Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (AACSv16 or something like that). I (thought) I learned a little about the problem (this post for example https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164698), and thought I just need a new host key, so I updated to the latest KEYDB.cfg from that same address above which said it was revoked in v72, and was definitely different than the one that was revoked before from the first KEYDB.cfg, and figured that would fix the problem... the disc I was trying to play is AACSv68 and this KEYDB.cfg said the host cert was revoked in v72.... so I figured I was safe? However, the host key got revoked again when I tried to play the disc in VLC. Maybe I don't really understand how all this really works?

I then found this thread, and installed the library version listed here, and went and got the DK/PK/HC from the post references and replaced the DK/PK/HC in my KEYDB.cfg. Then, very suspicious of this BluRay, I went and got an old BluRay I'd watched before with VLC, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and tried that. Lo and behold, it worked fine - menus and all!

So then turning my attention back to the problematic disc, I thought - surely it will work with this host certificate, right? The post says it is good up through MKBv81 (same as AACSv81, right?? I am thinking yes, but not sure of anything anymore...)

I then read about how MakeMKV uses libredrive to "protect" against revoked certificates by disabling the mkb revocation list (here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/libr...38/post-603221). Someone said that just having MakeMKV running "enables" libredrive for VLC player or anything else running on the PC.

So I figured maybe I could protect against getting THIS host certificate revoked (it's not like there are piles of them out there) by having MakeMKV running when I tried to play this problematic disc from VLC again. So I had it running in the background, and tried this again. AGAIN I got a notification that the host certificate had been revoked. I was like, What the heck? I then very rapidly (totally unsure of myself at this point) pulled out this crappy disc and put the Charlie Brown one in again, closing VLC and re-opening it. Fortunately, the Charlie Brown disc still worked - I think LibreDrive did its job of blocking the writing of the revoked host certificate to the drive.

But I'm still stumped as to why this disk keeps causing a host certificate revocation issue? The new host certificate linked in post #1 of this thread should be okay for a disc with AACSv68, right? But the more I read, the more I feel like I don't know. The disc's VUK doesn't seem to be present in the KEYDB.cfg file - It's called "Salvatore Shoemaker of Dreams" from Sony Pictures Classics. It does say Copyright 2023, so it's pretty new (my dad brought it over to my house). Release date on BluRay was Feb 21, 2023 according to blu-ray.com.

Should I be trying to run this without menus, is that my problem? But also, there's no ".bin" file for this title either in the cached BD+ tables, that I could find.

I was able to make a rip the disc, and make a full decrypted backup just fine with MakeMKV. I pointed VLC at the backup folder of the disc that MakeMKV created, and opened it as a "BluRay with menus," and it played just fine, menus and all... so just a little
(okay a lot...) stumped?

Thanks for any insight!
dgel34 is offline   Reply With Quote