Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 7th December 2022, 09:17   #1  |  Link
DanDare1983

Two Pass or CRF?

In regards to getting the best quality I was wondering whether fellow bdrebuilder users use the two pass option or the crf option? By looking through the forums I see two pass highest quality is popular but those threads are 2-3 years old and crf tends to be popular these days. So I'm asking what quality settings people use today? Any help would be appreciated.
DanDare1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 11:39   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

A: If you prepare for physical BD media you have to adhere to BD specs, this asks for VBV, and 2-pass satifies that restriction and makes best use of available bits.
B: If you intend to play from file only you can afford CRF which may overshoot BD specs.
I am rather playing safe, so I encode following A.
A satisfies B, but B won't necessarily satisfy A.
Old 7th December 2022, 16:50   #3  |  Link
DanDare1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
A: If you prepare for physical BD media you have to adhere to BD specs, this asks for VBV, and 2-pass satifies that restriction and makes best use of available bits.
B: If you intend to play from file only you can afford CRF which may overshoot BD specs.
I am rather playing safe, so I encode following A.
A satisfies B, but B won't necessarily satisfy A.
Thankyou for the reply. So basically as it stands I'm using main movie option, using directshow as the frame server, using highest quality option with two pass. This takes roughly between 1-2 hours using an i9 12900k cpu. Is their anything I need to change? Oh and I'm not keeping HD audio just the DTS/AC3 tracks.
DanDare1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 20:29   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Trading in HD audio for more H.264 space,
assuming that you are aiming at BD-R 25GB you should be fine.