Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2012, 11:12   #1  |  Link
benmanw

DVD artifact question

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. In trying to capture some clips from a DVD film

disk by using VirtualDub I have chroma issues coming through. The source frame is:

Then i separated it into top and bottom fields:

Note the close-ups of the area indicated by green rectangle:

My question is why comb artefacts occurred near the edges? In fact complementary chroma artefacts

occurred in the same positions of top and bottom fileds respectively. Obviously it has nothing to do

with intelaced or progressive scanning types.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
benmanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 17:28   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Don't be too sure that it's not the result of interlacing. I believe that the combing artifacts are only VISIBLE, as you say, "near the edges" - and are only visible BOTH at the juncture of motion and motionless parts of the frame(s) as well as the juncture of dark and light parts of the frame.

Try using a deinterlacer, or perhaps, a program such as good ol' TMPGEnc that includes a "ghosting" filter...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 04:39   #3  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

I remember having similar issues, the culprit was that the interlaced video 4:2:0 was decoded as progressive 4:2:0, if you're using AVIsynth make sure to put "ConverttoYUY2(Interlaced=True)" at the end of the script.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote