Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th May 2011, 16:06   #27  |  Link
HogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDragon View Post
Not to be argumentative, but the first two points just sound like reasons not to use TMT5 in the first place.
That to me sounds more like an argument for not fixing the program. Just because TMT5 has its problems is *not* a valid reason to suggest I uninstall it just to be able to change TMT3 regions with your program.

As it stands right now, if someone has multiple versions of PDVD installed, your program can change the region coding of *all* of them; though they can only be changed separately if one is Method 1 and the other is Method 2 (and then only with command-line parameters), that's a Cyberlink constraint that can't be avoided. However, if you have multiple versions of TMT installed, only the *newest* TMT version can be changed; all other versions are ignored.

IMO, that favors Cyberlink over ArcSoft when it *should* be the other way around. I hung onto PDVD 7.3 for a long time for HD DVD support, until it got to where HD DVDs were always out-of-sync whether ReClock was active or not; that's when I switched to TMT3, which is MUCH better. TMT5 just happened to come out shortly thereafter, so I got it just in case they stopped supporting TMT3, as well as to verify whether or not HD DVD remained (though TMT3 still supported it, ArcSoft didn't officially note it as a feature). It's unfair to say that just because I also have TMT5 installed, I can't use your program to change TMT3's region as well...

(Edit: Just to be clear, I do *NOT* suggest changing the *default* behavior, either without parameters or with the current "TMT:" parameter, except if possible to detect & change *all* installed TMT versions instead of just the latest one, just like PDVD. My primary suggestion is that you add command-line parameters for specific TMT versions, i.e., "TMT2:", "TMT3:", "TMT5:", etc. Note that there is *NO* TMT4; ArcSoft skipped from 3 to 5.)

Last edited by HogMan; 13th May 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Expand
HogMan is offline   Reply With Quote