Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th July 2009, 17:43   #10  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACoolie View Post
If we're free to post ideas here, I tried working on it but don't really have the experience to get it done. An option --encoder-fps would tune your options every so many frames to try to match fps to --encoder-fps value. Bframes would be lowered or raised, refs decreased or increased, etc. It would be very useful if performing faster than a certain speed is crucial. The only issues I'd foresee is that certain options (like bframes) probably can't be changed very easily in the middle of encoding.
bframes (the amount used in a GOP not the parameter per se) can change naturally based on the material. Changing that as a parameter mid-stream (from 3 to 0 for example) is trivial. other parameters require changing the sps/pps which is more significant but doable. Some encoders do this but usually based on changes in a section of the source, not to meet a speed requirement.
It would be interesting for the sake of better quality @ same bitrate. Doing it for encoding fps sake doesnt seem a good enough reason IMHO.

Last edited by Trahald; 16th July 2009 at 18:06.
Trahald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h.264, x264, x264 builds, x264 patches, x264 unofficial builds