Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 27th February 2009, 18:20   #8401  |  Link
rijnton

Please help me...

Can anyone help me please ? I am getting desparate.
At first I tried remuxing with eac3to, using a trial version of TMT. This went perfect !
So I thought to take the plunge and I bought the retail version of TMT (online download). It turns out to be version 2.1.6.129. But although TMT itself works perfectly, eac3to -test reports that Arcsoft DTS Decoder is not installed.
I already tried a lot of suggested solutions (copying .dll files to eac3to folder, registering commands etc), but nothing works. I also tried the environment path thing, but no success, although I don't know if I did that right. I went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Variables and selected Path and clicked Edit and added the value C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin. After that under Name there is PATH and under Value of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin. Is that the correct way ?
Btw, before installing the "cracked, trial" version I made a Ghost backup and restored from that before installing the legal, bought version.
As I said, I am getting desperate because I bought TMT only for the decoder and now it turns out to be not working. Please help me.

Last edited by Guest; 28th February 2009 at 04:16. Reason: rule 6
Old 27th February 2009, 18:31   #8402  |  Link
Killroy™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijnton View Post
Can anyone help me please ? I am getting desparate.
At first I tried remuxing with eac3to, using a trial version of TMT (or actually a non-working cracked version, resulting in still trial.....). This went perfect !
So I thought to take the plunge and I bought the retail version of TMT (online download). It turns out to be version 2.1.6.129. But although TMT itself works perfectly, eac3to -test reports that Arcsoft DTS Decoder is not installed.
I already tried a lot of suggested solutions (copying .dll files to eac3to folder, registering commands etc), but nothing works. I also tried the environment path thing, but no success, although I don't know if I did that right. I went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Variables and selected Path and clicked Edit and added the value C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin. After that under Name there is PATH and under Value of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin. Is that the correct way ?
Btw, before installing the "cracked, trial" version I made a Ghost backup and restored from that before installing the legal, bought version.
As I said, I am getting desperate because I bought TMT only for the decoder and now it turns out to be not working. Please help me.
My experience was that the trial version screws up the install of the Retail (bought) version.

Uninstall the trial, Reboot, delete all Arcsoft folders (even hidden ones), Reboot, and then run a reg cleaner (CCleaner or whatever one you want) and delete all the orphaned registries. Reboot.

And then... this is most important.... run regedit and search for "arcsoft" and "TotalMedia" and delete every single thing that has those names. Reboot.

Install the Retail version and see if that helps. I am sure it will.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:02   #8403  |  Link
rijnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy™ View Post
My experience was that the trial version screws up the install of the Retail (bought) version.

Uninstall the trial, Reboot, delete all Arcsoft folders (even hidden ones), Reboot, and then run a reg cleaner (CCleaner or whatever one you want) and delete all the orphaned registries. Reboot.

And then... this is most important.... run regedit and search for "arcsoft" and "TotalMedia" and delete every single thing that has those names. Reboot.

Install the Retail version and see if that helps. I am sure it will.
Thanks Killroy. Did exactly what you told me, but unfortunately the same negative result. I really feel screwed-up.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:26   #8404  |  Link
TruckChase!

I've tried everything recommended in this thread and the other dedicated to this issue, and still nothing. I've tried 2 different versions on 3 different pcs (32bit XP, 64bit Vista, 32bit Vista) and still no luck. I'm a little disappointed because I dumped a lot of money on a product that I didn't really want (TMT) for anything but it's use with EAC3to.

Is it possible that we could know exactly what eac3to is looking for to help us in our troubleshooting efforts? I know the codecs are working... I can use them in any number of external programs (zoomplayer, etc.) and they show up fine in codec manager apps. If we knew what exactly eac3to was looking for we could compare versions or something and try to figure out the issue....
Old 27th February 2009, 20:39   #8405  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Thanks Killroy. Did exactly what you told me, but unfortunately the same negative result. I really feel screwed-up.
Are you CERTAIN that eac3to is not working, i.e. not decoding DTS files properly?

I installed the retail TMT and it's always worked, despite that the -test option failed with some versions of eac3to!
Old 27th February 2009, 20:53   #8406  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post

Why would only DD+ be so fundamentally different that it would be the only audio codec that's not at all interchangeable?..

As noted in a Dolby White paper

Unique Aspects of Dolby Digital Plus on Blu-ray Disc vs. HD DVD
There is a fundamental difference in the way programs are carried in the two HD disc formats.

Like DVD-Video, the HD DVD format carries audio and video signals in the MPEG-2 “program stream” format, whereas the Blu-ray Disc format carries them in the MPEG-2 “transport
stream” format, the same manner in which ATSC DTV and DVB signals are broadcast. A result of this otherwise subtle distinction is that there are packetizing differences for the audio
bitstreams between the two disc formats. You may recall that DVD-Video is not able to carry Dolby Digital bitstreams of more than 448 kbps. The same remains generally true for HD DVD,
although due to finer granularity in the choice of data rates, the actual maximum rate increases slightly, to 504 kbps. In order to support the higher bit rates and greater number of channels
offered by Dolby Digital Plus, HD DVD discs will use Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams (which have progressively shorter coding frames as the bit rate increases, thereby always fitting within the
defined audio packets on the disc). For example, standard Dolby Digital has a six-block frame, and in that case the Dolby Digital Plus bit rate can reach 0.5 Mbps; a three-block frame can
reach 1 Mbps; a two-block frame, 1.5 Mbps; and a one-block frame, 3 Mbps.

In contrast, the Blu-ray format has no such packetizing constraint, so one immediate result is the ability to transport Dolby Digital at its maximum 640 kbps rate for the first time. That’s slightly higher than the 576 kbps carried on D-VHS.

I read this as being a difference in the packet sizes which is why the pure DD+ stream extracted from a HD-DVD cannot be played on a BD player.

Not sure how a device like the Popcorn Hour would handle it though
Old 27th February 2009, 21:01   #8407  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Are you CERTAIN that eac3to is not working, i.e. not decoding DTS files properly?

I installed the retail TMT and it's always worked, despite that the -test option failed with some versions of eac3to!
Sorry, I know this is directed @ rijnton, but I think we're trying to fix the same problem here....

C:\Encoding\Video\eac3to>eac3to.exe M:\encoding\video\work\bluray\FORGETSARAHMAR
SH\BDMV\STREAM 5: M:\encoding\video\work\bluray\FORGETSARAHMARSH\output\test.ac3

M2TS, 3 video tracks, 7 audio tracks, 5 subtitle tracks, 1:57:45, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 20 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: h264/AVC, 480p24 /1.001 (20:11)
4: h264/AVC, 480p24 /1.001 (20:11)
5: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
6: DTS, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48khz
7: DTS, French, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 768kbps, 48khz
8: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
9: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
10: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz
11: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
12: Subtitle (PGS), English
13: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
14: Subtitle (PGS), French
15: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
16: Subtitle (PGS), French
a05 The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don't seem to work, will use libav instead.
a05 The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the full DTS-HD information.
a05 Extracting audio track number 5...
a05 Extracting DTS core...
a05 Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
a05 Remapping channels...
a05 Encoding AC3 <640kbps> with libAften...
a05 Creating file "M:\encoding\video\work\bluray\FORGETSARAHMARSH\output\test.ac
3"...

Thank you for the help! Any more would be greatly appreciated...
Old 27th February 2009, 21:08   #8408  |  Link
rijnton

Quote:

I get the same result as TruckChase reported above: Arcsoft DTS and Sonic don't seem to work.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:23   #8409  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I can't reproduce any problems here. I even tried doing the same thing as you (eac3to + Pcm2Tsmu + tsMuxeR) and for me the channel order is always correct. I can only guess that there's something wrong in your playback chain...
Ok some final thoughts on this issue. Tsmuxer is not the issue as it muxes fine using dts 7.1 and plays back fine. The issue must exist in eac3to or Pcm3tsmu as I am getting this with multiple dts-ma 7.1 sources. You have to have a 7.1 reciever to test this as it looks correct in the file but on playback the center channel plays through the right front. I can send you a small sample if you want..else I will just convert to 5.1 no problem.

btw..testing now in xp 32bit to make sure its not a wierd vista 64 bug.

Edit: nope same issue with a different machine and xp...

Last edited by jamos; 28th February 2009 at 05:47.
Old 27th February 2009, 22:32   #8410  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Sorry you guys--that eac3to log confirms the problem.
Quote:
I also tried the environment path thing, but no success, although I don't know if I did that right. I went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Variables and selected Path and clicked Edit and added the value C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin. After that under Name there is PATH and under Value of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin.
I don't follow this last sentence. The Path variable Value is a bunch of entries separated by semicolons. You need(ed) to add a semicolon, and then the path e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin after the semicolon.

I looked at mine and I also have an entry as follows:

...;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin;C:\Program Files\Arcsoft\TotalMedia Theatre\Codec

Not sure if it's "the magic" but give it a try (and reboot after making the change).
Old 27th February 2009, 23:37   #8411  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Sorry you guys--that eac3to log confirms the problem.I don't follow this last sentence. The Path variable Value is a bunch of entries separated by semicolons. You need(ed) to add a semicolon, and then the path e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin after the semicolon.

I looked at mine and I also have an entry as follows:

...;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin;C:\Program Files\Arcsoft\TotalMedia Theatre\Codec

Not sure if it's "the magic" but give it a try (and reboot after making the change).
I can assure you that my path is set correctly, including the codec dir, bin dir, and I also tried including the commonfiles\arcsoft\mpeg engine dir since there are quite a few codecs stored there to no avail. Thanks though!

I can't speak for rijnton, but as for myself I've been doing this stuff for quite awhile and am very comfortable that I've followed all the advice presented here in the forums with no luck. I think there may be something to the newer versions of Arcsoft TMT that eac3to isn't picking up. The directory structure, for example is slightly different on the newest versions. (pointing to a "root" directory of total media extreme and then having a subdir for TMT, even if TMT is all you have installed) This is why I'd really like to know exactly what eac3to is looking for to help troubleshoot this issue. To reiterate, the codecs are registered and do work successfully. I can use them in any directshow application that allows the use of external codecs.... except eac3to. (main example is zoomplayer, but others work as well)

That being said, this is definitely not a registration issue, and based off of all read and attempted it isn't a pathing issue either. I would be very happy to provide madshi with any information required to help troubleshoot this issue on behalf of myself and others experiencing the same problem.

Thanks again!
Old 28th February 2009, 00:10   #8412  |  Link
rijnton

@laserfan: Could you tell me, being not so technical, what I exactly should do where, what and in which sequence, after I go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Environmental Variables ?
When I am there I see 2 windows User Variables for my username and System Variables (I translate the names from dutch). In the upper window there were 2 lines for Temp and Tmp and now (after maybe doing something wrong) a 3rd line with Path and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin after that.
What should I do /change now and where/what ?

Btw, I discovered something else, which is very strange imo
I tried uninstalling the retail version and installing the trial version (which is Totalmedia Extreme with a patch that is not working) again. eac3to did not complain and I could start Totalmedia Theatre being trial. Then I installed the retail version on top of it, without uninstall. Bingo ! Totalmedia Theatre registered and eac3to still not complaining. BUT...
after that I had TM Extreme, still being trial AND TMT not trial anymore. Then I uninstalled Extreme in Windows software removal and TMT still working, not trial, but eac3to complaining again. So this procedure will not help imo, because when the trial of Extreme expires I will have the same troubles again.

Btw, I have Windows XP and not Vista.

Last edited by rijnton; 28th February 2009 at 00:19.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:46   #8413  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
@laserfan: Could you tell me, being not so technical, what I exactly should do where, what and in which sequence, after I go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Environmental Variables ?
When I am there I see 2 windows User Variables for my username and System Variables (I translate the names from dutch). In the upper window there were 2 lines for Temp and Tmp and now (after maybe doing something wrong) a 3rd line with Path and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin after that.
What should I do /change now and where/what ?
As long as you don't have a user defined path variable, (which you don't by default) you only need to change system. If you've added it there, remove it, as there is no need for a user specific variable when the system variable will do. This will help us avoid confusion.

Look in the system variables and find the PATH variable. Double click it to open it up... notice that each variable is separated by a ";". (without quotes) You can add to the beginning or end of the line. To avoid confusion, I'm talking about adding at the beginning. Keep the entire contents already there, and paste your full directory structure (c:\program files\common files\blah\blah..) in the beginning. Follow this with a ;. After that entry, add your other entrie(s) for TMT codec locations, following each entry with a ;.

In the end, you should have a path variable that contains all the directories with the arcsoft codecs in question, separated by a ;. There is no need for a ; at the beginning (before the first path) or at the end (after the last path) but having them there won't hurt you either way, as they are merely a delimiter and not actual "data".
Old 28th February 2009, 00:49   #8414  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

@rijnton I don't know if putting a Path variable up under User Variables works!? What has been suggested is editing the Path variable in the box BELOW, under "System Variables". If you try that (adding a semicolon then C:\Program Files\Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin) take care not to mess-up any of the existing Path values already there!

If that doesn't work then suspect you have hit the same wall as TruckChase!, and hopefully he will find the secret to getting your installs to work. Sounds like he has done everything including the regsvr32 bit with, what is it, ASAudioHD.ax. Not sure madshi wants to help w/Arcsoft but I wish you good luck.

EDIT: I see TC! was advising exact Path instructions whilst I typed here...
Old 28th February 2009, 01:25   #8415  |  Link
rijnton

Thanks for the replies.
Meanwhile I looked under the System Variables, the bottom window, but I don't see a name PATH there. The only entry with PATH in its name is Pathext. Or do I still misunderstand it.
If not, is something wrong with my system then and what can I do ?
Old 28th February 2009, 03:55   #8416  |  Link
rijnton

Although I still don't know what is going on, I FINALLY got it working. (Knock on wood). I could find a trial version of TMT alone (not Extreme and don't ask me where) and installed it after uninstalling the retail. Then I installed the retail again on top of the trial and now everything seems o.k. TMT seems to be o.k. and not trial and version .129 and no problems with eac3to.
It seems that the retail version of TMT messes things up for me. But after installing it on top of a trial version it works !
Old 28th February 2009, 05:49   #8417  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!

BTW to all.. TMT will not play in vista 64 (its not supported if you look on thier website) but the dlls should still work to encode dts using eac3to..they do on my vista 64 machine. On my xp32 machine TMT plays fine.
Old 28th February 2009, 05:58   #8418  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamos View Post
BTW to all.. TMT will not play in vista 64 (its not supported if you look on thier website) but the dlls should still work to encode dts using eac3to..they do on my vista 64 machine. On my xp32 machine TMT plays fine.
Wow; that's weird. It's the exact opposite scenario on my machine. (note that I do believe what you're saying, it's just frustrating) My Vista64 machine will play back fine with TMT, it just won't work with eac3to. That being said I can't get my xp 32 or vista 32 machines to work either. I'm becoming more convinced that this has something to do with the new non-trial releases installing in a different directory structure based off of the total media extreme product. I think the naming of the codecs might be slightly different as well.....
Old 28th February 2009, 07:27   #8419  |  Link
zeropc

i never used the demux feature in eac3to, so i wonder if this would be the right cmd (example)...

eac3to "F:\MOVIE\BDMV\STREAM\00001.M2TS" "G:\FILES\" -demux

#edit#

i just tried what i was thinking and it didn't work...

log

Code:
eac3to v3.12
command line: "C:\Program Files\encoding-tools\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "I:\broken.arrow.trl.m2ts" "F:\video" -demux
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 3 subtitle tracks, 0:02:28, 24p /1.001
1: MPEG2, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
3: Subtitle (PGS)
4: Subtitle (PGS)
5: Subtitle (PGS)
Track 2 is used for destination file "video".
This audio conversion is not supported.  <ERROR>
any idea what went wrong?
Old 28th February 2009, 07:46   #8420  |  Link
yonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropc View Post
i never used the demux feature in eac3to, so i wonder if this would be the right cmd (example)...

eac3to "F:\MOVIE\BDMV\STREAM\00001.M2TS" "G:\FILES\" -demux

#edit#

i just tried what i was thinking and it didn't work...

log

any idea what went wrong?
eac3to demuxes to the current folder.
If you want your source file demuxed to a specific folder,
go to the folder and run command there.

Code:
F:\video>"C:\Program Files\encoding-tools\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "I:\broken.arrow.trl.m2ts" -demux
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to