Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 14th February 2009, 11:40   #8241  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That documentation is outdated. The WAV file created by eac3to is perfectly fine. It just uses a newer revision of the WAV file format, which is not supported by some applications. If you run into trouble you can use the eac3to "-simple" switch which will make eac3to output "old style" WAV files (with Compression code 0x0001). Please note that old style WAV files do not have a field to store the channel configuration of the channels. So for multichannel data, using the new file format revision is recommended. See also here:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...ultichaud.mspx
Thanks for your explanation, I noticed there are some Extra format bytes in the header present. It's also nice that there is -simple option switch prepared already. Unfortunately its existence is well hidden in the documentation (usage help). Could you please make it visible in further releases (and maybe also other undocumented switches which there possibly are)?

:::EDIT:::
I do not want to sound rude, yet I still think that the Compression code should be set to 0x0001.This is standard value meaning Uncompressed PCM. It has nothing to do with number of channels, sample rate, bit depth of samples, or mapping of the channels in case of WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE enhancements. Therefore I see no reason why you set it to 0xFFFE for standard uncompressed PCM Windows WAV file, it just doesn't make sense.
:::EDIT 2:::
Sorry, now I found that 0xFFFE designates that WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE additions. Sorry for being such dumb ass.

Last edited by kypec; 14th February 2009 at 12:08.
Old 14th February 2009, 13:25   #8242  |  Link
honai

Quote:
Can you please post a few more details? Does it occur with all kinds of source files? Or just with physical Blu-Ray/HD DVD discs? Or [...]? What part of the processing exactly takes longer? Etc...
I have also noticed that on certain inputs, e.g. demuxing a playlist from the German WALL-E from HDD (lots of small segments), eac3to seems to do nothing for a few seconds first, then outputs the stats and continues as usual. Seems like there is a pre-check at this moment that takes longer than expected therefore you didn't see the need to include a progress bar for this step ...

Last edited by honai; 14th February 2009 at 15:06.

Old 14th February 2009, 19:21   #8243  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you please post a few more details? Does it occur with all kinds of source files? Or just with physical Blu-Ray/HD DVD discs? Or [...]? What part of the processing exactly takes longer? Etc...
All files. I'm mostly running eac3to over a gigabit network, but it happens even when running it directly to/from an incredibly fast RAID. As soon as I type any command, eac3to sits there for several seconds before even showing the progress bar.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:31   #8244  |  Link
DrNein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
You need Nero 7.8.5.0 or later installed + the HD DVD/Blu-ray plug in registered!
See: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1238209

eac3to 3.06 and later apparently do not work with Nero Audio Decoder. Please take a look madshi.

Last edited by DrNein; 14th February 2009 at 22:39.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:52   #8245  |  Link
magic144

Hi, I'm wondering if I've found something useful.
I was curious as to why eac3to reported 47 chapters on a BD title (X-Files 2) when in fact standalone-player playback (and PowerDVD 8) offers only 27 - I started to poke around in BDInfo and BDedit.

BDInfo (0.5.2) reported the correct number of chapters (27) for playlist 00004.MPLS (playlist 00002.MPLS is a monolithic 1-chapter playlist of the same content by the looks of it, even though eac3to reports 47 chapters for it too)

Upon closer inspection, BDedit reveals that playlist 00004.MPLS has 46 of what it calls PlayListMarks. However, of those marks, only 27 are identified as having type "Entry-Mark" and these seem to tie up with actual chapter points, whereas the other PlayListMark types, which BDedit calls "Link Points", do not/should not feature in a chapter list.

(by the way, I think eac3to has 47 chapters here because it has created 1 extra timestamp at the very end of the playlist times - also note that playlist 00002.mpls only has 1 Entry-Mark and 46 subsequent Link Points showing in BDedit, which also ties up with BDInfo's reporting of only 1 chapter for that playlist)

Do you think this is right madshi? And can you/should you therefore exclude these "link point" types from your chapter lists??

Thanks,
m

Last edited by magic144; 14th February 2009 at 20:18.
Old 14th February 2009, 20:38   #8246  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 View Post
...BDInfo (0.5.2) reported the correct number of chapters (27) for playlist 00004.MPLS ....BDedit reveals that playlist 00004.MPLS has 46 of what it calls PlayListMarks...27 are identified as having type "Entry-Mark" and these seem to tie up with actual chapter points...
I looked to BDInfo for chapters on this one (those are accurate), but I can't correlate the "mark times" for entry-marks in BDedit to any actual chapter mark in the movie. So I dunno if these relate to chapters at all, or if maybe something's wrong with BDedit.
Old 14th February 2009, 20:53   #8247  |  Link
magic144

@laserfan,

the "Entry-Mark" "mark times" in BDedit are always shown relative to a particular PlayList item (PI),
so in order to work out the absolute time to which they refer, you need to know:-
a) the PlayList Item absolute start time as well as
b) the "mark time" (also taking the PI's "IN time" into account which always seems to be an offset of 2 seconds in this case)

for example, in playlist 00004.MPLS, PlayListMark 002 (the second actual entry-mark in the list, PlayListMark 000 being the first, and 001 being a link-point) is an "entry-mark" referencing PI 001 and having a "mark time" of 00:01:43.351
We know that PlayList Item (PI) 001 (00018.m2ts) starts at 00:02:47.417 (basically, the length of PI 000), with its usual IN time of 00:00:02.000

so PlayListMark 002 occurs at absolute time 00:01:43.351 - 00:00:02.000 + 00:02:47.417 = 00:04:28.768 (exactly as BDInfo shows for the start time of Chapter 2) - what eac3to refers to as Chapter 3

m

Last edited by magic144; 14th February 2009 at 21:14.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:52   #8248  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Good job, sir... I had tried (and failed rather miserably) to find that relationship!
Old 15th February 2009, 03:50   #8249  |  Link
magic144

well like I said, I'm just inferring things from the outputs of these progs - hopefully I've found something that might improve madshi's chapter list output!
Old 15th February 2009, 13:50   #8250  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
I have also noticed that on certain inputs, e.g. demuxing a playlist from the German WALL-E from HDD (lots of small segments), eac3to seems to do nothing for a few seconds first, then outputs the stats and continues as usual. Seems like there is a pre-check at this moment that takes longer than expected therefore you didn't see the need to include a progress bar for this step ...
Yeah, for seamless branching titles eac3to opens every m2ts file and searches for the first and last video timestamp etc. That is done before the first progress bar appears. I guess I could add just another progress bar for this initial file scan. It usually causes a noticable delay only for seamless branching titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
All files. I'm mostly running eac3to over a gigabit network, but it happens even when running it directly to/from an incredibly fast RAID. As soon as I type any command, eac3to sits there for several seconds before even showing the progress bar.
I can't reproduce that. For me eac3to starts processing at once, except - see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
eac3to 3.06 and later apparently do not work with Nero Audio Decoder. Please take a look madshi.
The Nero Audio Decoder works just fine for me in v3.08.
Old 15th February 2009, 14:20   #8251  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I was curious as to why eac3to reported 47 chapters on a BD title (X-Files 2) when in fact standalone-player playback (and PowerDVD 8) offers only 27 - I started to poke around in BDInfo and BDedit.

BDInfo (0.5.2) reported the correct number of chapters (27) for playlist 00004.MPLS (playlist 00002.MPLS is a monolithic 1-chapter playlist of the same content by the looks of it, even though eac3to reports 47 chapters for it too)

Upon closer inspection, BDedit reveals that playlist 00004.MPLS has 46 of what it calls PlayListMarks. However, of those marks, only 27 are identified as having type "Entry-Mark" and these seem to tie up with actual chapter points, whereas the other PlayListMark types, which BDedit calls "Link Points", do not/should not feature in a chapter list.

Do you think this is right madshi? And can you/should you therefore exclude these "link point" types from your chapter lists??
Actually I'm already removing "link points" from the chapter list - if there is an "entry mark" somewhere afterwards. However, if there are "link points" after the last "entry mark" I'm not deleting these "link points". The reason for that is that at least one Blu-Ray had "entry marks" for the first half runtime of the movie and "link points" for the second half runtime of the movie.

Are those additional "link points" in X-Files 2 behind the last "entry point"? If not, I'd like to look into the problem. In that case please zip and upload the PLAYLIST and CLIPINF folders. Should only be a few KBs zipped.
Old 15th February 2009, 14:23   #8252  |  Link
honai

Quote:
I guess I could add just another progress bar for this initial file scan. It usually causes a noticable delay only for seamless branching titles.
I think it might be enough to just output a string, "Performing initial file scan. This could take a few moments. Please wait ...", then continue as usual.

Old 15th February 2009, 15:22   #8253  |  Link
magic144

Hi madshi,
the link points seem to be interspersed with entry marks, so no, they're not after the last one.
Here's the files you wanted to check into the issue further. Hope this helps.

m

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmxlytnyny
Old 15th February 2009, 15:29   #8254  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

For fun I just looked at Groundhog Day BD, and while it uses 16 chapters, all of eac3to, BDinfo, and BDedit show 31 (!) this latter having 31 entry-marks (only), no link-points ie. it's not branching at all.

So I don't know what's going on with some of the new titles.
Old 15th February 2009, 16:16   #8255  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
the link points seem to be interspersed with entry marks, so no, they're not after the last one.
Here's the files you wanted to check into the issue further.
Actually with playlist 1, there is one entry mark, and then 46 link points. There's no further entry mark after all those link points. So that makes 47 chapters for playlist 1.
Old 15th February 2009, 17:05   #8256  |  Link
magic144

@madshi
sure, but it's playlist 4 that seems to be the right one (listed as the second title), which eac3to also lists as having 47 chapters

Last edited by magic144; 15th February 2009 at 17:41.
Old 15th February 2009, 17:43   #8257  |  Link
magic144

@laserfan
do none of the playlists for Groundhog Day register in BDinfo as having only 16 chapters then :-(
if so, there's apparently more variables to this riddle...
Old 15th February 2009, 18:36   #8258  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
do none of the playlists for Groundhog Day register in BDinfo as having only 16 chapters then...
Good question! There are three .mpls I can find for the main movie (00001, 00220, 00221). Predictably (I guess, given I think madshi said he looked for longest .mpls?) eac3to finds 00221.mpls, which is the only one of the three with the incorrect chapter list! The other two do indeed show 16 chapters!

One has to wonder if authoring houses are doing this deliberately to confuse us re-doers and backer-uppers!
Old 15th February 2009, 18:46   #8259  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
One has to wonder if authoring houses are doing this deliberately to confuse us re-doers and backer-uppers!
Most likely This would explain why main movie is very often divided in many parts without any particular order and size.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:19   #8260  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
sure, but it's playlist 4 that seems to be the right one
And how is eac3to supposed to know that playlist 4 is the right one instead of playlist 1?

Quote:
which eac3to also lists as having 47 chapters
There's a bug which result in eac3to always listing the default playlist's chapters, even if you manually specify a playlist. This will be fixed in the next build.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to