Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th September 2019, 06:40   #57421  |  Link
fourbigkids

Whoops! That would be madvr v0.92.17. Not whatever the number in the title bar might be. Thanks for picking that up elraffa. :-)
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 06:45   #57422  |  Link
elraffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigkids View Post
Whoops! That would be madvr v0.92.17. Not whatever the number in the title bar might be. Thanks for picking that up elraffa. :-)
your welcome :-)

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
elraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 13:00   #57423  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but if you want to use ray tracing on a 2060 get used to 1080p.
If you want to game on a higher resolution then 1080p and value quality and performance, then you bought the wrong card in a 2060 anyway, and thats just a fact. Thats litereally the mainstream 1080p gaming GPU (and 1080p is also the mainstream resolution, all higher gaming resolutions are a single digit percentage combined on eg. Steam surveys, which for gaming is quite relevant), it'll not run maximum quality at decent framerates on higher resolutions, so bringing Ray Tracing into the mix is just intentional drama (ie. trolling).

On that note, you should checkout the improvements to DLSS they've done for "Control", the quality has drastically increased and is practically a net positive in quality from the additional graphic effects you can turn on if you're otherwise performance limited.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th September 2019 at 13:10.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 15:03   #57424  |  Link
huhn

but nvidia sells it as an ray tracing card and this card can easily do high settings at 1440p but ray tracing will half the frame rate. so the question is i'm the troll here or nvidia. there are no easy to render ray tracing games and that's not the point you will even get into FPS problem on quake ray tracing it's simply to expensive for this card it can't even do 1080p60 not even a 2080 ti can do 60 HZ at 1440p.

saying a 2060 is a 1080p card is like saying a 1080 is a 1080p card and the next problem with 1080p is not about 60 hz anymore 144 hz is really cheap these days.
15% of all cards on steam are 1050 and and ~15% are 1060 but the 2060 is the main stream these days?
the 2070 sells better then the 2060.
the number of "new" 1080 and 1070 cards is as high or higher then new RTX cards.

the problem with DLSS it doesn't give that much performance and bilinear/GPU scaling plus nvidia sharpening is considered to be "better" just to be clear i'm not on that boat but it is an alternative and every card can do that with every game no special training required. the number of games where it is clearly better is just to low the card is nearly a year old and this marketing feature has little support.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 15:31   #57425  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
you will even get into FPS problem on quake ray tracing it's simply to expensive for this card it can't even do 1080p60 not even a 2080 ti can do 60 HZ at 1440p.
Quake RT is not really an actual relevant case, and the age has nothing to do with it. Its the only game thats 100% ray traced, which is obviously going to be far more expensive then only using it for effects that get the biggest benefit from it right now.

Modern Ray Tracing games like Control or Metro: Exodus can achieve 60 fps on 1440p on a 2080 Ti, and as developers learn to use these effects properly and effectively, the performance cost will only reduce.

PS:
You obviously didnt look into the improved DLSS as I suggested, since it did make huge strides beyond the initial version seen months/a year ago.
Old 18th September 2019, 15:40   #57426  |  Link
MS-DOS

Ray tracing has nothing to do with MadVR. Create a separate thread and discuss it there.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 15:58   #57427  |  Link
huhn

isn't the point of ray tracing to use 100 % of it for easy implementation. the point of quake here is that quake it self doesn't take any GPU load making it a full ray tracing benchmark and it is very impressive in this game too. while with other games you have to look out to find it and normal lighting in games still looks very good same with minecraft.
of they will have to dial down ray tracing for now because the current cards can do it fast enough.
if it stays hard extra work for game developer it will not get huge a lot of games in the near future.
if you need the most expensive GPU to get 60 HZ 1440p you name the issue here. there is no place for the others cards in ray tracing race.
Quote:
PS:
You obviously didnt look into the improved DLSS as I suggested, since it did make huge strides beyond the initial version seen months/a year ago.
can't be months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADD1I1ihSQ
but i'm not on board of the anti DLSS hype train anyway and i disagree that it is even close to dead.
on metro it was disaster at release they fixed that a long long time ago. still the "mass" doesn't seem to like it. nvidia has to make sure it works on release date.
Old 18th September 2019, 20:30   #57428  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I was just complaining how bad DLSS in Control looked. Better than Metro Exodus, but still not worth using.

I really do not like it, at least on my 55" OLED that I sit pretty close to. Much better to turn off most ray tracing effects and run 4K almost 60.

As always, for "future proof" madVR get the best card you can afford. Since Tensor cores come with them by default once you get to a high enough price point I just think of them as a bonus. Buying any computer hardware with only the future in mind is always a bad idea, buy what you need now or wait until you know what you will really need.

Last edited by Asmodian; 18th September 2019 at 20:33.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 23:51   #57429  |  Link
KoKlusz

Quote:
On that note, you should checkout the improvements to DLSS they've done for "Control", the quality has drastically increased and is practically a net positive in quality from the additional graphic effects you can turn on if you're otherwise performance limited.
Weird thing about DLSS in Control is that Nvidia ditched tensor cores in favor of more traditional temporal accumulation, which at one hand improved quality and performance, but on the other reconstruction falls apart as soon as you start moving (it's especially noticeable if you disable motion blur). For me, the most appealing thing about DLSS was the fact it completely eliminated temporal artifact's, but seeing that NV seemed to give up on using neural network for reconstruction already, makes me wonder if those tensor cores are even worth anything.
Quote:
If you want to game on a higher resolution then 1080p and value quality and performance, then you bought the wrong card in a 2060 anyway, and thats just a fact.
I would argue that 2060 is fine for non-RTX rendering for 1440p or even higher with right compromises. The problem is it's now has a really bad value. I used to argue that it was pretty good card for it's price, but right now that completely changed after RX 5700 and 2060 Super released.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 05:20   #57430  |  Link
tp4tissue

Hi guys , which C++ runtime does madvr require. I'm getting a new error i've never seen before.

https://imgur.com/kOHyORS

New laptop, I opened a movie, and it played for a little bit, but then I closed the movie. And when I tried watching it again, this happened.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th September 2019 at 05:22.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 05:37   #57431  |  Link
huhn

just install them all.

BTW. as far as i know madVR doesn't use Cpp but what was it delphi?
Old 19th September 2019, 05:50   #57432  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
just install them all.

BTW. as far as i know madVR doesn't use Cpp but what was it delphi?
I have no idea... New laptop comes with preinstalled stuff. IDK.

If I click ignore twice at that menu, the playback will start.. LOL.

But what's it saying is the issue ? I know it's madvr related, because if I switch to EVR no errors.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:57   #57433  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
But what's it saying is the issue ?
install this, if still have the error after, uninstall everything c++ related in Programs and Features and install again.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 09:38   #57434  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thats not a C++ runtime missing error anyway, the error is in the intel graphics driver. Recommend updating that directly from Intel.
Old 19th September 2019, 09:44   #57435  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I have no idea... New laptop comes with preinstalled stuff. IDK.
Do you have an Error Diffusion dithering option enabled? They require Direct Compute. I have never needed to install any pre reqs for madVR, even on new Dell laptops from work.

Your error looks like a driver crash, not part of madVR. I very much doubt it is missing or damaged runtimes used by madVR, but it might be something used by the GPU driver. You could try turning off shader caching in the GPU drivers too.. given the path name.
Old 19th September 2019, 09:45   #57436  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

It's a debug message from Intel drivers
Old 19th September 2019, 14:10   #57437  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
install this, if still have the error after, uninstall everything c++ related in Programs and Features and install again.
Quote:
Thats not a C++ runtime missing error anyway, the error is in the intel graphics driver. Recommend updating that directly from Intel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Do you have an Error Diffusion dithering option enabled? They require Direct Compute. I have never needed to install any pre reqs for madVR, even on new Dell laptops from work.

Your error looks like a driver crash, not part of madVR. I very much doubt it is missing or damaged runtimes used by madVR, but it might be something used by the GPU driver. You could try turning off shader caching in the GPU drivers too.. given the path name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
It's a debug message from Intel drivers

Supr Thx guyz, all fixxed, uninstalled and reinstalled latest intel Gfx drivers.

why Dell d00 dis'.. terrible outta dabox Xperience.

Thermal throttling, wrong screen color temperature, driver problems, bloatware crashing, Dell advertisement software informing me how poor I am , and telling me I couldn't afford their more expensive product..

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th September 2019 at 14:13.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 15:03   #57438  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience! ... in all contained topics

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 21:20   #57439  |  Link
Siso

Does anyone have weird issue with madvr in potplayer? I recall a user reported issues a couple of weeks ago, the issue I'm having is randomly delayed 2 frames. So I had to switch to mpc-be again.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 02:15   #57440  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
I lowered the queues back to 12/8/8, for rendering if I use anything lower than 12 there is no presentation glitch but present time would increase from 0.7 ms to 18 ms, after a while the present queue cannot fill up in time and would cause frame drop.
I returned the 5700 and got a 1660 Ti. With the same settings rendering time is very close to 5700 but the present time is now only 0.1ms, there is no more presentation glitch.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling