Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 25th June 2016, 17:57   #1  |  Link
ingoldie

Have you ever used VideoCleaner?

I have found a video enhancement software named VideoCleaner:

http://videocleaner.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForensicProtection/videos

But I can't get good results like these:

http://forensicprotection.com/services.html

Can you help, describe your thoughts about it and post your original/enhanced results?
ingoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 19:03   #2  |  Link
Reel.Deel

You do realize that the core of VideoCleaner is nothing more than AviSynth and AvsPmod.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 19:05   #3  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

Is the software related to Avisynth ?
Old 25th June 2016, 19:09   #4  |  Link
Groucho2004
Cantankerous Fossil

I like the software these guys are using.
Old 25th June 2016, 19:12   #5  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I like the software these guys are using.
Yes, someone needs to make a CSI plugin for AviSynth.

Edit: I always wonder how some commercial software companies gets away with their BS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-jVlKjQ1c

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 25th June 2016 at 19:39.
Old 26th June 2016, 02:56   #6  |  Link
Forensic

VideoCleaner is Avisynth and Python scripts running in AvsPmod and calling DLLs as needed. It was originally created to simplify video enhancement for law enforcement, but is now available to everyone. It is not a magic bullet, just an alternative to do-it-yourself scripting, made possible by dozens of generous programmers.
Forensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 06:54   #7  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
Edit: I always wonder how some commercial software companies gets away with their BS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-jVlKjQ1c
looks like extreme warp sharp to me
Old 26th June 2016, 06:58   #8  |  Link
geometer

back to the original posting, some properties of the material are very crucial that any enhancement or restoration can bring useful results. like low initial resolution, and nonlinear distortion with value clipping.
still we haven't seen a clear description about the goal of the project.
geometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 15:58   #9  |  Link
ingoldie

Can someone please isolate Super Resolution part?
Old 26th June 2016, 16:09   #10  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoldie View Post
Can someone please isolate Super Resolution part?
what's the precise definition of "super resolution", I been wondering like forever but never got an answer...
got this feeling like, whenever you need some commercial stun for your thing, you call it "super resolution" and it then gets a lot classier like immediately, and then you're on to brainwash newbies how "magical" your product is...
Old 26th June 2016, 16:25   #11  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
what's the precise definition of "super resolution", I been wondering like forever but never got an answer...
Shiandow's SuperRes implemented within AviSynthShader is apparently very different from another SuperRes that was known around here... a first question to ask is how many Super Resolutions are there around?

From there, I think the original question becomes irrelevant.

if you really want a definition, the dictionary is a good place to start. According to the Merriam Webster dictionary:
- Super: of high grade or quality
- Resolution: the ability of a device to show an image clearly and with a lot of detail

Thus, a Super Resolution is generally something that improves the image quality (emphasizing the important words: generally, something, improve and quality.

Last edited by MysteryX; 26th June 2016 at 16:52.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 16:36   #12  |  Link
EHarlen

SuperResolution part of VideoCleaner.avs

#~ SuperResolution
if (SRmode>.5 && Resize_mode>.5) {
try {
LoadPlugin (dir+"avssr.dll") #~http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution_avisynth/
if (SRmode<2) {a1=(fp.width-4*int(fp.width/4))/2 a2=(fp.height-4*int(fp.height/4))/2
if (fp.width>1500 || fp.height>1100) {message_2="image file is to large for SuperResolution" message_3="Apply the CROP feature (by percentage)"}
else {fp=fp.crop(a1,a2,-a1,-a2).SR(150,"%")}
}
else {
if (fp.width>1050 || fp.height>730) {message_2="image file is to large for SuperResolution" message_3="Apply the CROP feature (by percentage)"}
else {fp=fp.SR}
}
a=a.pointresize(fp.width,fp.height)
}
catch (err) {message_2="SuperResolution featured failed"}
}

But I don't know how to use it
EHarlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 16:54   #13  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Oh, it's *that* SuperRes, the one that was already known around here. It's a commercial product with a trial displaying a watermark. Doesn't a commercial AviSynth plugin without source code violate the GPL license?

... and for that very reason many great and useful plugins (especially commercial ones) never got ported to AviSynth
Old 26th June 2016, 17:12   #14  |  Link
johnmeyer

This has been discussed countless times in this forum, and every time someone does actual tests, the "super resolution" algorithms, whether from commercial software or shareware/freeware, give about the same results as a simple up-res using various AVISynth resizers. Thus, the various links to the very funny "Enhance" YouTube video still get right to the heart of this issue: "super resolution" is something that only exists in Hollywood movies.

FYI, here are posts, in this forum, from just the past few years, where "super resolution" appears in the title post. If I instead searched for those terms in the body of the posts, I'd get many times this number. The OP would do well to research some of the existing posts because nothing new has been invented in the past several months, AFIK.

Commercial consumer Super-Resolution vs Avisynth solutions

Super Resolution using MVTools

Super-resolution

Super-resolution via Motion-Compensated Deblocking

Infognition Super Resolution plugin for AviSynth
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 17:13   #15  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
Thus, a Super Resolution is generally something that improves the image quality (emphasizing the important words: generally, something, improve and quality.
by that definition, super resolution = nonsense, all non-visual effect filters are designed to "improve the image quality", and hell, even bilinear is "super resolution" cuz it obviously "improves the image quality" comparing against box
Old 26th June 2016, 17:37   #16  |  Link
Reel.Deel

I've tried the VideoEnhancer(avssr.dll) plugin and to me this sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Lemos.BR View Post
after 24 hours of researching and testing I can say with ABSOLUT certainty: VIDEO ENHANCER IS A LIEWARE!

It doesn't use super resolution, as it claims.
No, that's overboard again. It surely uses SR. The problem is that for this kind of SR to work out, you need input with special properties.

Take some random video.

a) Downscale with bicubicresize(halfwidth,halfheight,0.5,0.25). Upscale with VideoEnhancer. It will achieve "almost nothing" compared to a simple re-scaling.

b) Downscale with gaussresize(halfwidth,halfheight,p=100). Upscale with VideoEnhancer. It will achieve a good improvement over a simple re-scaling.

TSR can work pretty good when the input is of the "decimated resolution" kind. The only pity is that the vast majority of all sources doesn't fall into this category.

Quote:
But the idea behind super resolution is really interesting, do you agree? Going to give a try. In the end at least I'm going to learn usefull stuff.
Sure it's an interesting idea. But as noted above, in most everyday cases it is almost impossible to perform.

Do a forum search on the term "super resolution" / "superresolution". The topic has been discussed a few times already. Usual partipiciants have been: the naive optimists stating "THIS IS IT!", and the pessimistic naysayers stating "Y've been rickrolled". Oh, and some others that were throwing whitepapers about different sensational breakthrough algorithms.

The current status is:

We have lots of paper, but no functioning general-purpose superresolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
If you search the forum on the term superresolution, you'll find lots of opinions that on real-world sources it's mostly a no-go.

In 99% of all practical cases, spline36resize (or pretty much any other resizer) is almost as good as video enhancer (since in fact it doesn't do very much, except for munching CPU time) ... and nnedi3_rpow most probably is ahead of video enhancer.

For more of a "w00t"-effect, you can first do nnedi3_rpow2, then use something from here on that upscale.
Old 26th June 2016, 17:52   #17  |  Link
ingoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHarlen View Post
SuperResolution part of VideoCleaner.avs

#~ SuperResolution
if (SRmode>.5 && Resize_mode>.5) {
try {
LoadPlugin (dir+"avssr.dll") #~http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution_avisynth/
if (SRmode<2) {a1=(fp.width-4*int(fp.width/4))/2 a2=(fp.height-4*int(fp.height/4))/2
if (fp.width>1500 || fp.height>1100) {message_2="image file is to large for SuperResolution" message_3="Apply the CROP feature (by percentage)"}
else {fp=fp.crop(a1,a2,-a1,-a2).SR(150,"%")}
}
else {
if (fp.width>1050 || fp.height>730) {message_2="image file is to large for SuperResolution" message_3="Apply the CROP feature (by percentage)"}
else {fp=fp.SR}
}
a=a.pointresize(fp.width,fp.height)
}
catch (err) {message_2="SuperResolution featured failed"}
}

But I don't know how to use it
I don't know how to use it either.

Normally AviSynth scripts are like this

function abc(........){

Can someone edit it this way?
Old 26th June 2016, 17:56   #18  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

The one I ported to AviSynth does work. It gives GREATLY superior upscale results than NNEDI3 or any other resizer. I don't think anyone who has looked at the comparison screenshots can disagree. Performance and memory usage were the concern to some and that got handled in the last version. Performance is much better than EEDI3.
Old 26th June 2016, 17:57   #19  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoldie View Post
I don't know how to use it either.

Normally AviSynth scripts are like this

function abc(........){

Can someone edit it this way?
Read how to use the plugin here: http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution_avisynth/
Old 26th June 2016, 18:02   #20  |  Link
ingoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
The one I ported to AviSynth does work. It gives GREATLY superior upscale results than NNEDI3 or any other resizer. I don't think anyone who has looked at the comparison screenshots can disagree. Performance and memory usage were the concern to some and that got handled in the last version. Performance is much better than EEDI3.
Can you provide any before/after results?