Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th September 2013, 21:39   #20061  |  Link
Asmodian

Why do you need the option removed to not use it? Are you sure that there is no situation on any system where a CPU queue below 8 is useful?
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 00:39   #20062  |  Link
moffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Put it in a CODE (or PHP) block. See BB code short documentation.

Thanks for the tip. I added the code markers.
moffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 00:53   #20063  |  Link
turbojet

Lower queues are needed on slow hardware to get a picture. I use 6/4, half of the defaults, for faster seeks and don't see any problems. I had asked madshi awhile ago if he'd consider allowing smaller queues to allow madvr to work with slower hardware, he said it wouldn't work.
Old 13th September 2013, 09:44   #20064  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you sure that there is no situation on any system where a CPU queue below 8 is useful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Lower queues are needed on slow hardware to get a picture. I use 6/4, half of the defaults, for faster seeks and don't see any problems.
This is the exact reason why the question was posted here.
I guess this could fall into the auto configuration feature in the future. Determining the best queues for your hardware. I don't think this particular problem is shown as dropped frames. So knowing what's going on here might be of some value.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 22:01   #20065  |  Link
turbojet

Not sure auto queue settings could ever work consistently and it's been tried. A few months ago someone would get dropped frames in some scenes with the highest queue setting on old/slow hardware hence the larger buffers were added. On my older hardware I couldn't get a picture at default queues and needed to lower them and SD played fine, no longer have that laptop. Another example is madshi has/had an nvidia 8500/8600(?) that needed to increase queues to prevent dropped frames, the 9500GT I have starts dropping frames if I go above 16 or so with fhd, going with low queues doesn't cause dropped frames.

It hasn't been investigated much but there's nothing obvious responsible for these varying results.

Last edited by turbojet; 13th September 2013 at 22:03.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 16:27   #20066  |  Link
isamu

Hello gentlemen

I'm fairly new to using MadVR, and I am just wondering what the best settings are to achieve the sharpest picture while keeping aliasing to a minimum? I use MPC-HC coupled with ffdshow. If I enable "sharpen" on ffdshow I get quite a bit of aliasing but it does enhance the sharpness. What settings can I use in madvr to get exceptional sharpness without going overboard with the aliasing? I have an Nvidia GTX 680 GPU.
isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 17:33   #20067  |  Link
PetitDragon

Head up and look "turbojet"'s signature, you will find a word "LumaSharpen".
PetitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 19:59   #20068  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Hello gentlemen

I'm fairly new to using MadVR, and I am just wondering what the best settings are to achieve the sharpest picture while keeping aliasing to a minimum? I use MPC-HC coupled with ffdshow. If I enable "sharpen" on ffdshow I get quite a bit of aliasing but it does enhance the sharpness. What settings can I use in madvr to get exceptional sharpness without going overboard with the aliasing? I have an Nvidia GTX 680 GPU.
If you want to minimize aliasing introduced by upscaling, set the image upscaling algorithm to Jinc3, it does use a bit of power, but is probably best in madVR.

If you want to use post-processing to enhance the image, follow PetitDragon's advice and use shaders in MPC-HC.

As a side note, LAV Filters (also included in MPC-HC nightly builds) are the codecs of choice recently and work with madVR nicely.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 20:21   #20069  |  Link
dansrfe

dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 20:43   #20070  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

For post-processing HD try FineSharp.
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 22:11   #20071  |  Link
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitDragon View Post
Head up and look "turbojet"'s signature, you will find a word "LumaSharpen".
Thanks a bunch for the replies everyone. I applied the settings in MADVR from "turbojet"'s signature, and the picture looks very very good. However, PetitDragon, what about this "LumaSharpen" in his sig? Where is it and how do I apply in MadVR?

michkrol....I *DO* in fact want to use post-processing to enhance the image in MPC-HC but you mention I should use shaders....how do I use shaders in MPC? I don't see anything that says "apply shaders" in the MPC-HC options? Or do you mean use "external filters" such as ffdhow, etc?

Oh by the way I should mention I watch a LOT of Anime! In fact 95% of the content I will be watching on MPC will be anime.

Last edited by isamu; 14th September 2013 at 22:19.
isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 03:21   #20072  |  Link
PetitDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
.... PetitDragon, what about this "LumaSharpen" in his sig? Where is it and how do I apply in MadVR? ....
Please refer to the link as following:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1547989#post1547989

The first post in that thread "JanWillem32" will teach you how to use pixel shaders.

Have fun.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:54   #20073  |  Link
turbojet

There's a newer version of Lumasharpen at http://dropcanvas.com/l46x9 There's a guide available there too. The easiest way to 'install' it is save the txt, change the extension to psh and move it to the mpc\shaders directory. Feel free to tweak it to your liking, the only ones I changed were strength=0.9 and pattern=8. I prefer is as a pre-resize shader but try post-resize as well, you could even use it as both for a lot of sharpening.

Finesharp http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FineSharp you'd load in the avisynth tab of ffdshow.

LSFMod http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/LSFmod is another avisynth filter.

Unsharp <30 strength in ffdshow's sharpen tab is worth looking at as well. I've used them all regularly but find LumaSharpen has the highest sharpen to artifact ratio to my eyes. You'll have to decide which one you prefer.

Last edited by turbojet; 15th September 2013 at 08:09.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 14:01   #20074  |  Link
aduwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitDragon View Post
Please refer to the link as following:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1547989#post1547989

The first post in that thread "JanWillem32" will teach you how to use pixel shaders.

Have fun.
Boys, don't forget this jewel: DARBEE

aduwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 14:50   #20075  |  Link
PetitDragon

Yep, Darbee is a good starter kit for amateur. HTPC enthusiasts use CPU+GPU as a powerful video processor to achieve their ideal colorfulness, sharpness and stereo look (3D like) PQ.
Old 15th September 2013, 15:33   #20076  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
(...) When I have my CPU queue less than 8 I find switching from windowed mode to exclusive causes frames to jump back and forth. (...)
I've been playing with madVR's settings recently and encountered similar behavior only if I have "use separate device for presentation" enabled.
There are other known issues with Intel's newer drivers with this option enabled. Could you confirm that's the case with your setup?
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 01:53   #20077  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
I've been playing with madVR's settings recently and encountered similar behavior only if I have "use separate device for presentation" enabled.
There are other known issues with Intel's newer drivers with this option enabled. Could you confirm that's the case with your setup?
This is the exact same issue I posted about a page back. It's not a separate device option issue. It could be related to how madvr deals with the lower queues or could just be Intel's driver.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 06:41   #20078  |  Link
mindbomb

im occasionally hearing of problems of stuttering from people when madvr switches their display to 23.976hz.
Does anyone know what is causing this or what to suggest to those with this problem?

Oh, i guess one thing they can do is make the default refresh rate 23.976 hz.

Last edited by mindbomb; 16th September 2013 at 06:52.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 07:37   #20079  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
im occasionally hearing of problems of stuttering from people when madvr switches their display to 23.976hz.
Does anyone know what is causing this or what to suggest to those with this problem?

Oh, i guess one thing they can do is make the default refresh rate 23.976 hz.
Do they have exclusive mode enabled? Also, maybe just try use 60Hz with smooth motion enabled and don't switch to ~24Hz.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 18:10   #20080  |  Link
cadmium

Hi,

I tried doing a bunch of research, but how in the world do I use pixel shaders with MadVR in KMPlayer? It seems like there is almost no information about this...

I tried looking through the JanWillem32 thread but didn't get too much out of it.

Would I see a noticeable difference if I add pixel shaders into the mix? I have an i7 3820 + GTX 670 and am currently on Jinc 4 taps/Jinc 3 taps/Lanczos 4 taps.

Thanks in advance!
cadmium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling