Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 13th October 2003, 18:19   #181  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by Brother John
I started using matroska lately and after some muxing trouble with VDubMod I tried mkvtoolnix. Well, what can I say? Great work, Mosu!
Thanks

Quote:
1. Are there any plans for frame accurate splitting in mkvmerge? Though splitting by time and limiting number of output files to 2 works ok that's the one feature I really miss.
Probably not. The problem is that frame-accurate splitting can only be achieved by re-encoding at the start of each file (from the second file on) if that file does not start with a key frame. Otherwise video would be distorted. mkvmerge is only a converter on the container level and will never include video codecs - and without video codecs no re-encoding.

However, I could include the option to split after 'n' frames, or after given set of frame numbers and try to find the closest key frame - much like I'm handling splitting at the moment. That wouldn't be frame accurate, but you could give the number of frames.

Quote:
2. How about including a manifest file for mmg in the windows package? That way the GUI would fully support Win XP's visual styles while not hurting older versions of Windows. I'm running mmg with the manifest file right now without any problems. Feels just like created specifically for XP.
Looks interesting. Me being a Linux guy I haven't even heard of such files before. What do they do exactly, or what does Windows XP derive from the information that this file provides? I can include it, sure, I'd just like to know a bit more about that mechanism

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 13th October 2003, 19:27   #182  |  Link
Latexxx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu
Looks interesting. Me being a Linux guy I haven't even heard of such files before. What do they do exactly, or what does Windows XP derive from the information that this file provides? I can include it, sure, I'd just like to know a bit more about that mechanism
It just gives the program a crappy winxp outfit. Without the manifest file the buttons etc. in the program will have the tradiotional windows look. So the only difference is how your program does look like. All winxp pros don't even bother to keep the candy-looking interface turned on. It's slow and looks like crap. Include the manifest file if you don't want to get messages like "why doesn't this look like windows?" from l33t users.
Old 13th October 2003, 20:10   #183  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
It just gives the program a crappy winxp outfit. Without the manifest file the buttons etc. in the program will have the tradiotional windows look. So the only difference is how your program does look like. All winxp pros don't even bother to keep the candy-looking interface turned on. It's slow and looks like crap. Include the manifest file if you don't want to get messages like "why doesn't this look like windows?" from l33t users.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I'll skip that file, then

Old 13th October 2003, 20:35   #184  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

frame accurate splitting: should have been more precise, sorry. Of course by »frame accurate« I mean »key frame accurate«. The option I'm looking for is something like: »split the file at frames no 10000, 20000 and 30000 or closest keyframe«.

The manifest file:
Latexxx basically said what it does. Without manifest mmg has the traditional look with rectangular buttons etc. even if the new WinXP look is activated.
I don't want to argue about crappy or not or slow or not. But as mmg does not have any problems with the XP styles why not include a manifest file and leave the choice to every individual user: WinXP look globally enabled --> mmg looks XP-ish, WinXP look disabled --> mmg looks traditional.

Btw: I like the skinning ability (though not the default style) and it doesn't feel slower than Win2k.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Old 13th October 2003, 20:38   #185  |  Link
Atamido
Señor Member

Quote:
frame accurate splitting: should have been more precise, sorry. Of course by »frame accurate« I mean »key frame accurate«. The option I'm looking for is something like: »split the file at frames no 10000, 20000 and 30000 or closest keyframe«.
You can do this by hand using the Matroska Stream Editor.
Old 13th October 2003, 23:12   #186  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Yes, that's definitely doable. Can't say anything on the timeframe, though, I'm rather busy these days. Anyway I've put it on my todo list.

Quote:
The manifest file:
WinXP look globally enabled --> mmg looks XP-ish, WinXP look disabled --> mmg looks traditional.
Ok, if it's honoring the user setting then including it will not hurt anyone.

Old 14th October 2003, 15:34   #187  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 0.7.2 released

Heya,

I've just released version 0.7.2 of mkvtoolnix. It is mainly a bug fix release but has some internal changes that may or may not work for you Anyway, due to the bugs that I've fixed I strongly recommend that you upgrade to 0.7.2.

The URLs:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...lnix-0.7.2.rar

The ChangeLog since 0.7.1:
--------------------------
2003-10-14 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v0.7.2.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: If 'no linking' and splitting was active mkvmerge would abort on the start of the second output file due to timecodes that were calculated incorrectly.
* mkvmerge: Implemented some speedups for a couple of container formats and track types (mainly AVI reader, MP3/AC3/AAC packetizers). Especially noticeable when splitting is active as well.

2003-10-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: bug fix: Support for extracting SBR AAC (previous 'fix' did not actually fix this).
* mkvextract: bug fix: All extracted subtitles where written to the first output file given, not to the one they were supposed to be written to.

2003-10-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: The 'abort' button was doing nothing under Windows.

2003-10-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: Audio, video and subtitle track selection was translated into the wrong command line options.
* mkvmerge: Replaced the avilib based AVI reading functions with AVI classes from Cyrius.
-----------------------------

Have fun

Old 14th October 2003, 15:36   #188  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Re: Problem Muxing AC3

Quote:
Originally posted by KpeX
I was unable to mux 1 AC3 and 1 avi with mkvmerge 0.7.1,
I'm pretty sure I've fixed that in version 0.7.2.

Old 14th October 2003, 15:42   #189  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

As I 'm downloading your new version of mkvtoolnix Mosu, I want to bring to your attention a bug that is still present in mkvtoolnix-0.7.2-pre1 and since there is no mention of it in the changelog I assume it is present in 0.7.2 also. The .SRT subtitle parser is still stalling when an empty line is encountered in the SRT text file. This bug was supposed to be fixed in 0.7.1 but I 'm still experiencing the bug. Can you look at it? Thanks.
Old 14th October 2003, 15:54   #190  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

sub ?

I didn't realize there were already "Options that only apply to VobSub subtitle tracks" Does sub+idx already work in MKV?
Old 14th October 2003, 16:02   #191  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Re: sub ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liisachan
I didn't realize there were already "Options that only apply to VobSub subtitle tracks" Does sub+idx already work in MKV?
No, it's deactivated Activating it and getting it right won't be a problem, but there still ain't a playback filter that's able to play VobSubs in mkv.

Old 14th October 2003, 16:03   #192  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by cca
As I 'm downloading your new version of mkvtoolnix Mosu, I want to bring to your attention a bug that is still present in mkvtoolnix-0.7.2-pre1 and since there is no mention of it in the changelog I assume it is present in 0.7.2 also. The .SRT subtitle parser is still stalling when an empty line is encountered in the SRT text file. This bug was supposed to be fixed in 0.7.1 but I 'm still experiencing the bug. Can you look at it? Thanks.
Sure, will do. Could you please send me the .SRT file in question? moritz@bunkus.org Thanks.

Old 20th October 2003, 21:00   #193  |  Link
KpeX

Re: Re: Problem Muxing AC3

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu
I'm pretty sure I've fixed that in version 0.7.2.
Correct, sorry for the late reply Mosu, this bug is confirmed squashed in 0.7.2.
Old 20th October 2003, 23:39   #194  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

The doc says "AAC audio files (only those with ADTS headers before each packet)" works, but it seems mkvmerge can already handle AAC without ADTS headers too (I happened to find it when I was trying to mux a .m4a file created by the AAC encoder come with Apple iTunes.)

1. Is such a .m4a "officially" supported by mkvmerge?
2. If so, I'd like to see "*.aac *.mp4 *.m4a" as the filemask for AAC in mmg

And here's a very small request for better usability:
3. Would like to have File > New in mmg, which would just clear all the forms (needed when you want to make more than one Matroska files in succession)
Old 21st October 2003, 09:22   #195  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
The doc says "AAC audio files (only those with ADTS headers before each packet)" works, but it seems mkvmerge can already handle AAC without ADTS headers too (I happened to find it when I was trying to mux a .m4a file created by the AAC encoder come with Apple iTunes.)
Could you send me the first meg of that file via email please (moritz@bunkus.org)? Technically it should be impossible to handle such files so I'm more than curious what kind of a file this is.

Quote:
1. Is such a .m4a "officially" supported by mkvmerge?
No, because without the headers I can detect neither the number of channels nor the sampling frequency, the AAC profile or the packet boundaries.

Quote:
And here's a very small request for better usability:
3. Would like to have File > New in mmg, which would just clear all the forms (needed when you want to make more than one Matroska files in succession)
Good point, I'll add that. Thanks.

Old 21st October 2003, 12:05   #196  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

m4a

a small sample by iTunes, itunes.m4a, has just been sent to you.
I could even use this trick. to convert m4a to "normal" aac:

mkvmerge -o tmp.mka in.m4a
mkvextract tracks tmp.mka 1:_out.aac

_out.aac has a lot of headers like "FF F1 50 xx xx xx FC" periodically, while in.m4a doesn't have such things (I think)

Old 21st October 2003, 12:13   #197  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Re: m4a

Quote:
a small sample by iTunes, itunes.m4a, has just been sent to you.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Old 21st October 2003, 12:26   #198  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu No, because without the headers I can detect neither the number of channels nor the sampling frequency, the AAC profile or the packet boundaries.
.... you can, from the MP4 headers ?
Old 21st October 2003, 12:32   #199  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
.... you can, from the MP4 headers ?
If the source file is a MP4 file then yes (and I guess that is what Liisachan has, although its extension is .m4a and not .mp4). If it's "only" the raw AAC packets then that's not possible.

In short: It's probably a .mp4 and I'll add .m4a to the GUI's file selection dialog.

Old 21st October 2003, 12:47   #200  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

using mp4creator60 and/or mp4UI, you can extract "AAC (ADTS)" from a "normal" .mp4 audio file, while you can only get "Raw MPEG-4 Audio File (*.bin)" from iTunes' m4a. I'd bet they are different.
Closed Thread