Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 25th April 2007, 06:00   #1  |  Link
varunb

Software to produce Quicktime movie ?

Can any1 suggest me a gud software that produces a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs ? I was thinking of buying one but I am not able to figure out which one is appropriate. I have TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress but it produces the output having too much luma. Its as if it is adding some luma factor from its in-built encoder without keeping in mind that quicktime will itself add some luma during playback. 2ndly, I dont want to create a quicktime movie using the export profile which Quicktime Pro uses bcos the outputs produced are devoid of the brightness factor. I searched some info about Adobe Premier & Ulead Movie Studio but they produce H.264 AAC in MP4 format only.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
varunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 03:30   #2  |  Link
dvd_master
Anime God

Super ( http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html ) is free and does exactly what you want. I love the software, I highly recommend it.
dvd_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 06:10   #3  |  Link
varunb

Well SUPER uses older version of x264 codec(version released in October 2005). I have already tried it. SUPER will be my last resort if I don't find any other software. Anyways, thanx for ur suggestion Dvd_master !
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 26th April 2007, 08:18   #4  |  Link
Placio74
VideoAudio

MPEG StreamClip

---

FFmpeg

Simple example:
Code:
ffmpeg.exe -i name.avi -f mov -vcodec h264 -sameq -acodec aac name.mov
---

Change container with FFmpeg - MP4>MOV

Code:
ffmpeg.exe -i name.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy name.mov
Attached Images

Placio74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 00:17   #5  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I'd throw a vote for MeGUI. It has a profile for QuickTime compatibility, and also for iPod compatibility. It's fast and easy, and produces higher quality output than Apple H.264 - though Apple has improved a lot recently.

~Misfit
Old 28th April 2007, 06:32   #6  |  Link
varunb

I agree with u Misfit that meGUI is gr8. Well I was trying MPEG Streamclip as Placio74 mentioned & the problem is that whenever I input an uncompressed YV12 avi, it shows a totally white screen. I have all the necessary YV12 decoders installed. Then why is it not working with it ?
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 28th April 2007, 14:37   #7  |  Link
bond

in the meg-4 encoder gui and mpeg-4 avc forums

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 15:11   #8  |  Link
Placio74
VideoAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunb View Post
... Well I was trying MPEG Streamclip as Placio74 mentioned & the problem is that whenever I input an uncompressed YV12 avi, it shows a totally white screen. I have all the necessary YV12 decoders installed. Then why is it not working with it ?
Sorry.
MPEG StreamClip use only QuickTime codecs.
Not use VfW codecs or DirectShow.
Read AVI files compressed by Cinepak, Indeo 3/4 (not 5), uncompressed RGB.
Uncompressed YV12 and most MPEG-4 codecs not decode in MPEG StreamClip (QT?).
Placio74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 15:13   #9  |  Link
varunb

Ok forget MPEG Streamclip. The reason I am not using meGUI is bcos I am having trouble encoding an avi to MP4. I converted the Spiderman 3 trailer to uncompressed YV12. The avi played fine. Then i frameserved it using avisynth to meGUI & encoded it to MP4(baseline profile). When I played the MP4 file in both Quicktime 7 player & Alternative, the playback sort of stuttered at few places. Even there was no sound at that time when it stuttered & jerked. I haven't been able to figure out the problem since then.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 29th April 2007, 11:35   #10  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Ok forget MPEG Streamclip. The reason I am not using meGUI is bcos I am having trouble encoding an avi to MP4. I converted the Spiderman 3 trailer to uncompressed YV12. The avi played fine. Then i frameserved it using avisynth to meGUI & encoded it to MP4(baseline profile). When I played the MP4 file in both Quicktime 7 player & Alternative, the playback sort of stuttered at few places. Even there was no sound at that time when it stuttered & jerked. I haven't been able to figure out the problem since then.
quicktime is a damn slow player, what are your systems' specs?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 29th April 2007, 15:12   #11  |  Link
varunb

Specs:

Intel 2.4 Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB+40GB hard disk.

There's one more thing I want to mention. I encoded the same trailer to MP4 only this time I reduced the bitrate of the 2 pass from 14MBps to 9600 KBps & the MP4 file played fine. Thats strange. As far as I know, 720p resolution trailers have played on my pc all the time. 2ndly, the kind of the jerkiness & stuttering that occurs is not as if my pc is not able to handle 720p versions.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 30th April 2007, 08:27   #12  |  Link
varunb

Ok wait, my prob is almost solved. I converted the MP4 file to mov using ffmpeg rev 8797. This was the command I used:

ffmpeg -i Quicktime-muxed.mp4 -idct h264 -r 23.976 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Pirates_3.mov

When I played the mov file in Quicktime 7, it played fine but in Quicktime Alternative, when I dragged the cursor to some random playback position, the video got out of sync. This thing didn't happen in Quicktime 7. What shud b the solution for this ?
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 1st May 2007, 00:19   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

Please be good enough to post a link to the specific trailer you're trying to convert to ".MOV" format - so that others of us who may be able to provide assistance can "take a shot at it" ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 09:55   #14  |  Link
varunb

Fine, its the Pirates 3 official trailer.

http://progressive.totaleclips.com.e...b10004_b2f.mov

But I just don't understand what gud will it do to u ? Let me tell u in brief wat I did. I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio. Now I just want to convert it to MOV format with H.264 & AAC. Wat is the better way according to u ???????
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 1st May 2007, 11:17   #15  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Fine, its the Pirates 3 official trailer.

http://progressive.totaleclips.com.e...b10004_b2f.mov

But I just don't understand what gud will it do to u ? Let me tell u in brief wat I did. I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio. Now I just want to convert it to MOV format with H.264 & AAC. Wat is the better way according to u ???????
you resized a 1080p video to fullscreen? what for?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 1st May 2007, 13:41   #16  |  Link
varunb

cos I like to watch the trailers in fullscreen. The resolution was 1920 x 796. I did a pan-scan of the trailer & resized it to 1024 x 768. Thats it. Now can any1 pls tell me as to how I shud convert it to MOV format ? A proper ffmpeg command will do keeping in mind my post #12. Pls guyz I am really getting restless now.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 1st May 2007, 17:15   #17  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I dont want to create a quicktime movie using the export profile which Quicktime Pro uses bcos the outputs produced are devoid of the brightness factor.
If you're saying that under "Export", QuicktimePro doesn't allow you to adjust brightness, you are mistaken.

Click on "Options" and then "Filters"...
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:08   #18  |  Link
varunb

Quote:
I downloaded the trailer that is available in HD 1080p MOV format -> resized it(to fullscreen) & converted it to uncompressed YV12 AVI having raw pcm 44.1 KHz audio.
Didn't u read my previous post, setarip_old ? In case u still haven't understood, Quicktime Pro doesn't handle uncompressed YV12 inputs.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:33   #19  |  Link
setarip_old

Yes, I've read your previous post - and I've apparently misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish.

Your first post seemed to indicate that you weren't able to convert the trailer (an HD .MOV) to "a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs". I (mis)interpreted your subsequent posts as indicating that you felt compelled to first convert the trailer to .AVI format as an intermediate step...
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:47   #20  |  Link
varunb

Alright fine. Just tell me this that what shud b the proper ffmpeg command for MP4-MOV conversion by stream copy method. The problem I am facing has been highlighted before in post #12. I just need a proper ffmpeg command.
GA-Z68XP-UD4 board
Dell U2312HM monitor