Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 17th May 2009, 13:06   #21  |  Link
MfA

Hmm? The first tangent for the Akima spline constraints on page 4 of that pdf you linked was :

1/2*(z2-z1/y2-y1+z3-z2/y3-y2), so essentially the tangent between P1 and P3 with uniform control points (y2-y1=y3-y2).

Last edited by MfA; 17th May 2009 at 13:11.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 13:38   #22  |  Link
MfA

BTW, I should add that as far as linear interpolators go this is all really old hat ... stuff like this is a little more fresh :
http://www-ist.massey.ac.nz/elai/Pub...eilei_2008.pdf

This method is pretty cute and easy to implement (basically doing a little unsharp before interpolation) :
http://www.ing.unibs.it/~marco.dalai/pub/DLM_VLBV05.pdf

Last edited by MfA; 17th May 2009 at 15:39.
Old 19th May 2009, 19:37   #23  |  Link
mikenadia

Trying to demonstrate that some of the weights equal 1.
I assume that all the weights are polynomial order n-1 and do not depends on the yi values.
Will take then all the yi=1 and try to prove that the polynomial G(x)= (sum weights) -1 has n zeros
and therefore is null.
Based on this paper [http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/inst...kyMeg/Proj.PDF (equation 23),
for i=1to n-1: ai+bi+ci=0 di=1 (h=1 and all the yi=1)
Si(xi+h)=ai(h)^3 +bi(h)^2+ci(h)+di=1 because h=1 and Si(xi+1)=sum of weigths(xi) because all the yi=1
so all the xi(for 1 to n-1) are zero of G(x).
Also S1(xn)=dn-1=1 so xn is also a zero of G(x).
so G(x) has n zeros (polynomial order n-1) , and G(x)=0.

Edit:different algorithm for Akima ( that is not a Catmull-Rom ) from the one from "fugroairbone": http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/phd/rottinger/node60.html
They compute different derivatives at all points and interpolation is a parabole in the "end-intervals.
They use five points to compute derivatives. It is probably too hard compared to Catmull-Rom (only two points)).
We probably could modify Catmull-Rom to make it harder . Tangent in 2 = (s3-s1)/2.We could take (s3-s1)/k or k*ln(s3/s1) .
We couls also compute first and second derivative at all points and based on a "magic formula", decide to increase radius, to favor natural cubic spline or Catmull-Rom.

Edit2: I read that pixels that are in a low-gradient environment should be given more weight.
May be when we interpolate along the axis X, we should keep an "indicator" of the gradient along X of the interpolated "pixel" and before interpolating along Y, take into account those "gradient along X" and normalize.
And if there is value to it, is there a difference (human perception) by starting the interpolation along the X or Y axis.

Last edited by mikenadia; 21st May 2009 at 02:59. Reason: Local gradient interpolation
mikenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:54   #24  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenadia View Post
Trying to demonstrate that some [sum!] of the weights equal 1.
Here's what I think is a simpler proof:

If all the yi are equal (to k, say), then it is clear that the solution Si(x)=k (for all i,x) satisfies the initial constraints.
(intuitively, interpolating a set of constant values gives that same value).
Since S1(x) (= sum(Wn(x)*yn)) in this case reduces to k times the sum of the weights, it follows that the sum is 1.
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 08:34   #25  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfA View Post
BTW, I should add that as far as linear interpolators go this is all really old hat ... stuff like this is a little more fresh :
http://www-ist.massey.ac.nz/elai/Pub...eilei_2008.pdf

This method is pretty cute and easy to implement (basically doing a little unsharp before interpolation) :
http://www.ing.unibs.it/~marco.dalai/pub/DLM_VLBV05.pdf
Thanks, these papers do look interesting. Unfortunately "easy to implement" probably applies to math professors. At least me, being a programmer with only school math knowledge, I don't understand most of those papers... I guess there's no source code available for any of these techniques?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 14:59   #26  |  Link
MfA

Well I didn't say the first one was simple For the second one you simply apply a FIR filter with taps 7/720, -11/90, 49/40, -11/90, 7/720 in both dimensions and then you do bi-linear interpolation.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:01   #27  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Well I didn't say the first one was simple

Quote:
For the second one you simply apply a FIR filter with taps 7/720, -11/90, 49/40, -11/90, 7/720 in both dimensions and then you do bi-linear interpolation.
That sounds easy enough!! But are those taps identical for any up- and downscaling ratios? Normally when doing (big) downscaling a lot more taps are used than when doing upscaling...

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2009, 16:15   #28  |  Link
MfA

No, but as I've said before interpolation and resizing are two fundamentally different tasks. For downsizing you can simply add an "appropriate" gaussian blur before doing interpolation.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:22   #29  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
No, but as I've said before interpolation and resizing are two fundamentally different tasks. For downsizing you can simply add an "appropriate" gaussian blur before doing interpolation.
Ok, but the FIR configuration you posted would be alright for any upscaling factor, correct?

For downscaling should I also use Bilinear as the interpolation filter (after having done Gaussian blur)? To be honest, I'm not sure about doing Gaussian blur + Bilinear. I have already tried using Gaussian resampling for downscaling and the results were much too soft.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:31   #30  |  Link
MfA

As I said, appropriate amount ... you can make it as strong or weak as you want.

Direct Gaussian resampling only makes sense for very large ratios.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:46   #31  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
BTW, I should add that as far as linear interpolators go this is all really old hat ...
Maybe it's old hat. But I've just tried the 2nd "fresh" paper which you kindly explained to me. And I don't like the results much. Old hat Spline36 looks worlds better to me. For those interested, here is a photo upsampled 425% by various resampling filters:

http://madshi.net/prefiltering.rar (25MB)

- Bilinear.bmp
- Prefiltering + Bilinear.bmp
- Bicubic50.bmp
- Bicubic75.bmp
- Spline36.bmp
- Lanczos4 - madshi tweaked.bmp

The "Prefiltering + Bilinear" is what MfA's 2nd "fresh" paper produces. It's a lot less blurry compared to simple Bilinear resampling, but it has quite visible ringing and isn't any better in terms of aliasing compared to simple Bilinear filtering. Spline36 has a similar amount of ringing, but has *MUCH* reduced aliasing.

---------------------

Sooooo, back to Spline16/36/64/256?
Old 20th May 2009, 18:24   #32  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Sooooo, back to Spline16/36/64/256?
has somebody calculated spline256 coefficients by now? I was also thinking about less computationally expensive option of spline144....
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 18:40   #33  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh View Post
I was also thinking about less computationally expensive option of spline144....
Well, Spline100 (5 taps) would actually be the next one in the sequence.
Old 20th May 2009, 18:41   #34  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh View Post
has somebody calculated spline256 coefficients by now? I was also thinking about less computationally expensive option of spline144....
In my experience the more taps you use, the less obvious the difference is. For my eyes going from 3 to 4 taps is a bigger difference than going from 4 taps to 8 taps. Oh well, I'm talking about positive differences here. Negative differences (ringing) are quite obvious when going from 4 taps to 8 taps. Personally, I don't think more than 4 taps is really useful, because the positive aspects are extremely small while the negative aspects are quite noticeable. But that's just my personal opinion...
Old 20th May 2009, 19:42   #35  |  Link
MfA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
For those interested, here is a photo upsampled 425% by various resampling filters
That's not pure interpolation though ... with that amount of resizing you are testing the filters on how believably they can make up extra detail.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:52   #36  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
That's not pure interpolation though ...
Why not? What do you mean by 'pure interpolation' then?
Old 20th May 2009, 19:54   #37  |  Link
MfA

Small ratios, shifts, rotations.

For large ratio upsizing something like Tritical's filters seem more appropriate.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:02   #38  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
That's not pure interpolation though ... with that amount of resizing you are testing the filters on how believably they can make up extra detail.
Even if I upscale by "only" 33% (anamorphic stretch) I still get similar results, the differences are just smaller. I think the main point of Spline16/36/64 (which is the topic of this thread) is doing DVD -> HD upscaling. That's still over 200% enlargement. So I think my comparison screenshots are valid.

I see in the paper that they tested by rotating images. Maybe the results would be different in that case, I don't know. But I do find it kind of funny that both papers seem to use some simple cubic interpolation (probably bicubic 0.5) for the "conventional" interpolation comparison screenshots. And then they wonder why the results are so blurry?! Are they not aware that e.g. Lanczos exists? Which usually produces much better results when doing multiple operations after each other (like rotating multiple times or upscaling/downscaling multiple times)...
Old 20th May 2009, 20:22   #39  |  Link
MfA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenadia View Post
Edit:different algorithm for Akima ( that is not a Catmull-Rom ) from the one from "fugroairbone"
Unfortunately this one no longer simplifies to a convolution kernel ... so it's going to be quite slow.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:56   #40  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
- Lanczos4 - madshi tweaked.bmp
Are you using that one in MadVR?
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote