Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th July 2009, 02:56   #4001  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberti View Post
@kanerulz69
Go the Mediainfo way
Please just give us the resolution (i.e. 1080p or 720p) and bitrate.
Keep in mind that High-Speed is meant to be used with One-pass and BD-25.

@jdobbs
Some logs encoding Black Hawk Down, region B, movie only, PCM audio

-----------------------
[19.59.39] BD Rebuilder v0.25.01 (beta)
- Source: BHD_PCM
- Input BD size: 33,03 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:24:19.649]
- Target BD size: 22,46 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[19.59.39] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [19.59.39] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [20.38.08] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- Analyzing complexity using 5,0% sample.
- Selected CRF value of 22,09 for encode.
[23.53.00]PHASE ONE complete
[23.53.00]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [23.53.00] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[00.11.44] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[00.11.44]JOB: BHD_PCM finished.
-----------------------
[12.30.27] BD Rebuilder v0.25.01 (beta)
[12.30.27] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [12.30.27] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [13.20.35] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- Analyzing complexity using 10,0% sample.
- Selected CRF value of 21,97 for encode.
[13.56.21]PHASE ONE aborted by user request
-----------------------
[14.39.03] BD Rebuilder v0.25.01 (beta)
[14.39.07] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [14.39.07] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [15.24.40] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- Analyzing complexity using 20,0% sample.
- Selected CRF value of 23,38 for encode.
[19.07.05]PHASE ONE complete
[19.07.05]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [19.07.05] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[19.29.20] - Encode and Rebuild complete
- WORKFILES folder removed.
[19.29.20]JOB: BHD_PCM finished.
-----------------------
[19.48.19] BD Rebuilder v0.25.01 (beta)
[19.48.19] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [19.48.19] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [20.35.14] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- Analyzing complexity using 40,0% sample.
- Selected CRF value of 23,47 for encode.
[00.42.26]PHASE ONE complete
[00.42.27]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [00.42.27] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[01.01.56] - Encode and Rebuild complete
- WORKFILES folder removed.
[01.01.56]JOB: BHD_PCM finished.

My understanding is that 20% sample should be the best option. I'll test Blade Runner (final cut) ASAP.
What use are these logs without getting a final output size? What was it, for each sample size. Thanx
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 06:35   #4002  |  Link
apophis906

I think I might have found a bug. It is only with extras that are 480 and 4:3. When they are played back in my PS3 they are streched out to 16:9. I have done this on two different computers and get the same results. I tried redoing them by copying the lastcmd file and changing the SAR from 8:9 to 10:11. When doing that they stay 4:3 when played back on the PS3. Can someone else that has a PS3 check and see if they have 4:3 extras being stretched to 16:9.
apophis906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 10:12   #4003  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
What use are these logs without getting a final output size? What was it, for each sample size. Thanx
Destination meant was BD-25. Output achieved was waving between 17.7GB (10% sampling) and 17.9GB (40% sampling).
daberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 15:00   #4004  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
Basically any Universal title with PiP and probably others which are done to bd-9 full disc (the files that don't work on on a bd-9 are fine if coped to a bd-25) - some of the ones I've actually done:

Mummy series
Bourne series
day the earth (new)
changeling
frost nixon
twilight
wanted
madagascar 2

I'm hoping that when you release the version with PiP audio that that might nail the issue with those with suitable audio streams.
You're obviously doing something differently than me -- because I've done both "Frost/Nixon" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" many times -- they are two of my PiP test discs -- and they work fine for me on both of my Sony players.

Are you preprocessing at all? Any editing or tweaking? What are you using to rip the discs?

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th July 2009 at 15:04.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 15:48   #4005  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You're obviously doing something differently than me -- because I've done both "Frost/Nixon" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" many times -- they are two of my PiP test discs -- and they work fine for me on both of my Sony players.

Are you preprocessing at all? Any editing or tweaking? What are you using to rip the discs?
Are you burning to DVD9 though

This problem has been known since way back hasn't it(?) Did you ever find an actual solution to this as I don't think the problem was ever tackled. It got bought up a few times but then conversation always moved on to something else.

I haven't tried DVD9 backups for any Universal titles since I got a BD writer but before that I did experience this exact problem (silence with no audio\subs selectable on BD9 backups) for "The Matrix".

FTR that was with no tweaking\pre processing. I even mentioned this in the list of players that support BDRB etc a few months ago. Unless something has changed since then and it should now be working?
Old 19th July 2009, 15:49   #4006  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberti View Post
Destination meant was BD-25. Output achieved was waving between 17.7GB (10% sampling) and 17.9GB (40% sampling).
Cheers dude, interesting results. Looks like we should be able to get some pretty accurate results then, no?
Old 19th July 2009, 16:05   #4007  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
This problem has been known since way back hasn't it(?) Did you ever find an actual solution to this as I don't think the problem was ever tackled. It got bought up a few times but then conversation always moved on to something else.
I too experienced this issue many months back at BD-RB intro, when I was testing full backups to BD-5, usually DVD+RW, but I just figured it to be a limitation of AVCHD. I have only had success with a few full movie backups to BD-5. ( I was not after quality for the test, just success before trying BD-9 )
I now do full movie backups to BD-RE and BD-R, and they are almost always perfect.
I do movie only backups to BD-5, and have never had a failure yet!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 16:07   #4008  |  Link
Mediogre

Quote:

I am having the same problem as drmih. No pre-processing for me. I have found that the ones I have tried do play fine in Sony players but do not ( main movie does not start) in PowerDVD8 and Panasonic players.
Mediogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 16:58   #4009  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediogre View Post
I am having the same problem as drmih. No pre-processing for me. I have found that the ones I have tried do play fine in Sony players but do not ( main movie does not start) in PowerDVD8 and Panasonic players.
That's not the same issue at all.

Completely different, he's talking about Universal titles ONLY where the video DOES play but there is no audio\subtitles and pressing anything on the remote won't let you switch them on. It's as if they aren't there.

Your issue is a common one for panasonic players where to fix it you have to turn OFF 24p playback on the player. I can't comment on the PowerDVD situation since I experience a similar quirk where a fair few discs just come up with a black screen. But I have noticed in the past that these discs are often fixed by downloading the latest PowerDVD update for your version.
Old 19th July 2009, 17:48   #4010  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I too experienced this issue many months back at BD-RB intro, when I was testing full backups to BD-5, usually DVD+RW, but I just figured it to be a limitation of AVCHD. I have only had success with a few full movie backups to BD-5. ( I was not after quality for the test, just success before trying BD-9 )
I now do full movie backups to BD-RE and BD-R, and they are almost always perfect.
I do movie only backups to BD-5, and have never had a failure yet!
Could well be a limitation of AVCHD since BD5\BD9 backups are detected as such. But then BD-Live still works and other discs don't have problems and it's not like the PiP track is being displayed. Would be nice to know the actual reason...Personlly I'm not too fussed but hey
Old 19th July 2009, 18:11   #4011  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
Are you burning to DVD9 though

I haven't tried DVD9 backups for any Universal titles since I got a BD writer but before that I did experience this exact problem (silence with no audio\subs selectable on BD9 backups) for "The Matrix".

FTR that was with no tweaking\pre processing. I even mentioned this in the list of players that support BDRB etc a few months ago. Unless something has changed since then and it should now be working?
First -- I'm not even convinced yet that it "is" a problem yet. Especially with the PiP processing in the state of flux that it's in. Most of my backups are DVD-9. But I've also tested it on BD-25. You say it's "has been known since way back" -- but I can only remember one person who has reported it (albeit several times). I have two different Sony models -- and it never occurs. So I have to ask whether there is some "tinkering" going on.

Have you experienced it?

I did find some things in the STN tables that may be associated with this -- so maybe the new version (see below) will have an effect. Don't know, though, since it works okay for me either way.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th July 2009 at 18:26.
Old 19th July 2009, 18:17   #4012  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediogre View Post
But he's reporting the exact opposite -- that it doesn't work in Sony players. So what you're saying supports my point.
Old 19th July 2009, 18:24   #4013  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.25.02 (beta)

I've posted a new version for download on the first post of this thread. Lots of changes. The one-pass should be pretty accurate now (I finally gave up on the .stats approach, it was just too random, and borrowed some code from DVD Rebuilder). Here is a summary of the changes for this version:
Code:
- Replaced the prediction algorithm for one-pass
  encoding.  It now does prediction passes until it
  finds the correct CRF.  This should be much more
  accurate - but please remember it may take 
  slightly more time and is still experimental.
  Note: On very small sources it can be faster to
  do a first pass than to predict CRF.  When BD-RB's
  analysis indicates this to be the case, a two-pass 
  encode will be done, even when one-pass mode is 
  selected.
- Corrected issues found in update of MPLS STN
  tables for secondary audio and video streams.
- Made changes to secondary audio processing that
  should make DD+ PiP tracks start working. Note:
  you must have "PROCESS_SECONDARY=1" set in INI.
- Updated X264 to r1183, this new version includes
  speed improvements and other fixes/enhancements.
- Made changes to all X264 command lines to make
  BD-RB compatible with new defaults starting in
  X264 r1179.  This means that BD-RB now requires
  X264 version r1179 or higher.
- Added "--ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1" to the 
  encoding command line to lessen "pulsing" on 
  sources that are very highly compressed.
- Added code to recognize and workaround encoding
  issues on very small sources.
- Changed "Quick Encode for Extras" so it is ON by
  default. Most encode will benefit with faster
  completion.
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Just a note on the prediction. I'm currently doing a 1% sample. It seems to work well, but if you are willing to sacrifice a little time, you can do a 2% sample and likely will get more accurate. If the 1% doesn't work out, I will change the default in the next release. You can change it now, if you're so inclined, by adding the following to the [Options] area of the INI (config):

23.976fps sources (default is 4800/48):

SAMPLE_GROUP=4800
SAMPLE_SIZE=96

25fps sources (default is 5000/50):

SAMPLE_GROUP=5000
SAMPLE_SIZE=100

29.97fps sources (default is 6000/60):

SAMPLE_GROUP=6000
SAMPLE_SIZE=120

You can also tweak the sizing with:

CRF_ADJUST=n.n

Legal values are .1 through 2.0, the default is .96. Very low values will probably crash. It adjusts the target size for CRF, the .96 is to allow 4% for inaccuracy. It's likely that .97 or .98 would probably be ok for a 2% sample. If you oversize because you've changed this value, though -- don't be surprised, and don't complain to me!

I'm also tweaking the algorithm that determines the number of prediction passes, so you may see some improvements there in upcoming versions.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th July 2009 at 18:59.
Old 19th July 2009, 18:57   #4014  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
First -- I'm not even convinced yet that it "is" a problem yet. Especially with the PiP processing in the state of flux that it's in. Most of my backups are DVD-9. But I've also tested it on BD-25. You say it's "has been known since way back" -- but I can only remember one person who has reported it (albeit several times). I have two different Sony models -- and it never occurs. So I have to ask whether there is some "tinkering" going on.

Have you experienced it?

I did find some things in the STN tables that may be associated with this -- so maybe the new version (see below) will have an effect. Don't know, though, since it works okay for me either way.
No tinkering and Anydvd to rip. The one thing which I have mentioned is that the same files encoded to bd-9 size on the Pc HDD will give this problem on a dvd-dl but work fine on a bd-rw. The one thing I haven't tried is different types of blank media.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 18:58   #4015  |  Link
jdobbs

Try the latest. Meanwhile I'll do Frost/Nixon again...
Old 19th July 2009, 19:12   #4016  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I've posted a new version for download on the first post of this thread. Lots of changes. The one-pass should be pretty accurate now ........ I'm also tweaking the algorithm that determines the number of prediction passes, so you may see some improvements there in upcoming versions.
Good news .... Thanks
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 19:56   #4017  |  Link
chudm

no bd-25 high speed option? should i select good quality (Faster)? btw thx man i should test again kung fu panda :P, and check if it will play the main movie fine on the panasonic bd-30
chudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:05   #4018  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudm View Post
no bd-25 high speed option? should i select good quality (Faster)? btw thx man i should test again kung fu panda :P, and check if it will play the main movie fine on the panasonic bd-30
It's still there. You have to select BD-25 for it to show in the menu (same as the last version).
Old 19th July 2009, 20:14   #4019  |  Link
Capsbackup

Just for a point of reference, I reported this way back at the beginning. Also reported after testing the same disc with the Sony S301 that jdobbs has that it played perfectly. I still have the DVD-R disc, and I have tested it after the last few firmware updates for my BX1 to see if it may work, but still no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Well I just finished backing up The Scorpion King, NTSC, Full backup, 4.09GB and burned to DVD+RW. Not having much success here and I am not sure what the problem is. Let me clarify - the audio for the main movie just does not play when burned to a DVD+RW, as with previous attempts. The main menu only plays for about 33 seconds before pausing, and when it continues, there is only audio while the video remains a still image at the pause point. I can select the menu buttons for the disc, so all is still functioning. However, after selecting play, the movie starts and the video looks great, just no audio is heard. Also, as with other backup tests reported, I cannot select subtitles from the remote, no pop up or available subtitles are displayed. Same with audio button, no pop up to display other available tracks.
So I burn the same files to a BD-RE disc, and now the audio and subtitles play fine, with the ability to change both audio and subtitle tracks from the remote during playback of the movie.( There is only the 1 eng. AC3 audio file that plays of course, but the button on the remote brings up the options as if there were other tracks available). The menu video still does its pause at the same time interval as the DVD+RW. However, this is not a big concern since I usually press play before the menu loop anyway, but I just wanted to report my findings.
I only have the Sony BDP-BX1 to test with, so I don't know if it is player related or if it could be a BD-RB bug. I use only the default settings, and ImgBurn.
I have made numerous movie only backups, not with BD-RB, and never had a problem.BDP-BX1 plays back movie only perfectly. I hope these tests I have reported can help track down if there is a bug, or if I need to do or change something, I am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to be able to keep the menus and burn to DVD-R or DVD+R DL just like all of those succesful reports I have read!
Maybe a new test with this new release BD-RBV02502 would also be helpful. However, I seem quite content for BD-25 full movie backups, now that the BD media is at a more acceptable price, and BD-5 or BD-9 for movie only backups.
I'm just happy with all these options!!
Thanks jdobbs.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:15   #4020  |  Link
chudm

Quote:
It's still there. You have to select BD-25 for it to show in the menu (same as the last version).
ohhh i see sorry my bad
chudm is offline   Reply With Quote