Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd February 2018, 19:55   #49201  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Yes, and I was thinking. If a dvd is encoded as interlaced but it's basically from a progressive source, and I can play it fine on my monitor without deinterlacing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

I cant test it atm but disable deinterlacing in madVR should be "weaving".
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:31   #49202  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

I cant test it atm but disable deinterlacing in madVR should be "weaving".
Hi, why you linked me to deinterlacing?

What you mean for weaving? My english is good but not so good
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:41   #49203  |  Link
nussman

Why not just read the article? Some basics could help ...
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:43   #49204  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Why not just read the article? Some basics could help ...
I read it, and from different sources too.

In particular I found really helpful this.

At the bottom there is a pal section.

http://foro.doom9.org/ivtc-tut.htm
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:43   #49205  |  Link
neno

Hi, madshi. In the latest 0.92.12 whenever I try to take a screenshot when paused, the potplayer crashed. And taking a screenshot when playing will get me an abnormal image(strange colors like a thermal image of the original one).

I haven't changed any settings and it can just take screenshots without any problem in older 0.92.X versions.

I use WIN10 with RX480.

Maybe the problem in changelog of 0.92.11 "screenshots in paused state sometimes crashed madVR" is still not fixed? Just a guess.

Anyone have some ideas or the same problem?

----------

And another problem.

I use lav 0.71 with latest madVR in D3D11 native mode, and the picture is always(no matter what video) split into the top and bottom part. The top part is the picture content turned into a flat size, and the bottom part is often a green image.

While D3D11 CB can just play normally.

Is there any idea about the problem?

nevcairiel said it sounds like a driver problem and madVR handles the processing of "native" frames. So I report it here.

Thanks.

Last edited by neno; 23rd February 2018 at 21:51.
neno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:09   #49206  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Hi, why you linked me to deinterlacing?

What you mean for weaving?
Quote:
I read it, and from different sources too.

Anyway madVR needs frames for further processing. So what to do with Pal DVD with fields? Try "field combination" (aka "weaving", "weave deinterlacing", "no deinterlacing" etc.) to get (the original) 25 frames and if it doesnt work (combing artifacts) use GPU deinterlacer (50 frames, but less artifacts).

For NTSC DVDs it's the same but you can try IVTC first in order to get (the original) 24 frames wihout pulldown jitter.

Imho this dicision has to done by the user for every DVD, but field combination for Pal and IVTC for NTSC should work most of the time.

Thats it.
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:23   #49207  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:

Anyway madVR needs frames for further processing. So what to do with Pal DVD with fields? Try "field combination" (aka "weaving", "weave deinterlacing", "no deinterlacing" etc.) to get (the original) 25 frames and if it doesnt work (combing artifacts) use GPU deinterlacer (50 frames, but less artifacts).
Sorry but I only know to enable and disable deinterlacing. How can I use other type of deinterlacing you mentioned?

I read a lot about deinterlacing and ivtc but I limited to the general theory and not their algorithm, because I thought that was madvr to do that in one way. I was wrong at this point, I understand the sarcasm but I'm trying to learn and this topic I found it not so easy to go in. So I'm going forward just a step at a time.
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:33   #49208  |  Link
nussman

Afaik enable Deinterlacing in madVR means GPU-Deinterlacer (video mode) or IVTC (film mode, for NTSC) and disable deinterlacing means field combination (imho "weave deinterlacing"), but maybe someone with more informations about the inner workings can confirm that?
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:54   #49209  |  Link
-sTi-

Quote:
Afaik enable Deinterlacing in madVR means GPU-Deinterlacer (video mode) or IVTC (film mode, for NTSC) and disable deinterlacing means field combination (imho "weave deinterlacing"), but maybe someone with more informations about the inner workings can confirm that?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but for me it works like this: For a PAL DVD and automatic source detection, usually it defaults to DXVA deinterlacing. If I then manually disable deinterlacing via hotkey, madVR always switches to IVTC mode, which seems to be wrong(?). But at least the result looks good, I don't notice anything wrong or artifacts.
-sTi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:00   #49210  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sTi- View Post
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but for me it works like this: For a PAL DVD and automatic source detection, usually it defaults to DXVA deinterlacing. If I then manually disable deinterlacing via hotkey, madVR always switches to IVTC mode, which seems to be wrong(?). But at least the result looks good, I don't notice anything wrong or artifacts.
Strange, this doesn't happens to me... maybe something regarding the region?

My dvd are region 2.
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:58   #49211  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, 390.77 has some good fixes for HDR and no regressions I know of. Still weirdness with custom resolutions sometimes but that is in all the options.
Unfortunately I just found one... 390.77 isn't compatible with Asio4All, which is a problem for those of us using REW (Room EQ Wizard). The HDMI Audio out isn't detected.

I had to revert to 385.28 (the last version fully working with HDR and custom res, i.e. without the locked bit depth for custom resolutions). ASIO4ALL works fine again.

If you don't need ASIO4ALL, 390.77 is fine, apart from the minor issue of the locked bit depth with custom res.

One last advantage of 390.77: it solves the annoying Dolby Atmos bug in the sound control panel that switches the surrounds and the surround back speakers. Nice for those who game in Atmos. Not an issue for movies as the 7.1 config works fine to bitstream Atmos to the AVR (if you bitstream HD Audio to keep immersive sound).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 24th February 2018 at 00:03.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 00:47   #49212  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Unfortunately I just found one... 390.77 isn't compatible with Asio4All, which is a problem for those of us using REW (Room EQ Wizard). The HDMI Audio out isn't detected.
That must be something on your end, shows up just fine here in the device list in the ASIO4ALL control panel.
Old 24th February 2018, 04:48   #49213  |  Link
huhn

deinterlacing is not that complicate.

if you take a PAL DVD and you can disable deinterlacing(PsF source...) and get normal results that doesn't mean you can do it with all pal dvd...

maybe i didn't make my self clear but automatic detection does NOT work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 09:20   #49214  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That must be something on your end, shows up just fine here in the device list in the ASIO4ALL control panel.
Thanks, please can you list your OS version, GPU model, GPU driver version, Asio4ALL driver version, REW version?

I'm not the only one to have this issue on a 1080ti, at least with Windows 10 1709 and the latest nVidia drivers. That's how I found out as initially I had no idea why the HDMI out of the 1080ti did not appear.

The other guy with such an issue was also using Windows 10 and a 1080ti, so maybe it's restricted to some nVidia GPUs only, but it's definitely a driver compatibility issue with 390.77, reverting to 385.28 immediately solved it here.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/pr...-drivers.2147/

This guy has exactly the same issue, and I promise it's not me All my details in my sig, I was using Asio4all 2.14 as well and the latest stable REW.

I don't know which GPU driver version breaks it, I don't have the time to try all the drivers from 385.28, I just went back to that one because it's the last one where everything works for me including the bit depth with custom res.

When I'm done with REW (I just got a new AVR, so I have some set-up / testing / optimization to do) I'll probably go back to 390.77, it's a good driver otherwise.

Last edited by Manni; 24th February 2018 at 09:31.
Old 24th February 2018, 09:30   #49215  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'm also on 10 with a 1080Ti, using ASIO4All 2.14. I'm not actually using REW, but thats not really involved at that point anyway.
Old 24th February 2018, 09:36   #49216  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, it is an error message that the mode cannot be applied at all. Your issue may be madVR not switching to the actual custom resolution, try applying it manually. I have had that issue before as well, actually I suppose that might be another driver issue with the custom resolution API, but it wasn't the one I was talking about.
This doesn't seem to be the source of my problem. Even if I manually switch the resolution before starting a video, the madVR optimization seems to overshoot and bounces back and forth between 1 frame drop and repeat, always in the 50m to 2h range.

Is there a way to manually calculate the required values to get a specific refresh rate? I've tried changing some of the values but each change results in a way to high change in the refresh rate.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 09:50   #49217  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
I'm also on 10 with a 1080Ti, using ASIO4All 2.14. I'm not actually using REW, but thats not really involved at that point anyway.
What do you use with Asio4All? I can't see a way to test Asio4All independently of REW.

Which build/version of 10 are you using? I'm on the latest 1709.
Old 24th February 2018, 10:20   #49218  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Obviously there are other applications that can use ASIO, not only REW. I only use it for testing not day-to-day use (ASIO4All is usually a bad idea anyway, adding extra middle layers doesn't improve anything, unless you have some silly stubborn software that refuses to support any mainstream audio API, my USB DAC on the HTPC also has a native ASIO driver anyway), but I tested right now with JRiver Media Center.
Old 24th February 2018, 10:29   #49219  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Obviously there are other applications that can use ASIO, not only REW. I only use it for testing not day-to-day use (ASIO4All is usually a bad idea anyway, adding extra middle layers doesn't improve anything, unless you have some silly stubborn software that refuses to support any mainstream audio API, my USB DAC on the HTPC also has a native ASIO driver anyway), but I tested right now with JRiver Media Center.
Thanks for testing. Which OS build are you using? I know that there are other apps that can use Asio4All, that's precisely why I asked you which app do you use with it, I didn't want to ask you to test with REW as you're not using it.

Asio4all is the only way to access each of the 7.1 channels independently in REW. With the Java drivers, you're limited to sub + LR, so please don't make statements about software you don't use/know, or provide an alternative

When I'm done with REW I'll go back to 390.77 and I'll check with jRiver. If it works, I'll get in touch with the developer of REW as it will point to an issue with this specific software. If it doesn't, it will confirm the incompatibility of 390.77 with Asio4all, at least in my setup and that other guy's.

Sorry for the OT everyone, let's go back on topic.

Last edited by Manni; 24th February 2018 at 10:33.
Old 24th February 2018, 10:35   #49220  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Asio4all is the only way to access each of the 7.1 channels independently in REW. With the Java drivers, you're limited to sub + LR, so please don't make statements about software you don't use/know, or provide an alternative
That software is indeed a bit silly if it can't even access individual channel through any other audio API. Its not exactly rocket science. So my statement stands.
I have actually used REW before though, but its just not something you use every day, or even every week, so its not installed for testing right now. Although they say you should re-measure occasionally, but who got time for that.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 24th February 2018 at 10:44.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling