Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2010, 20:40   #1  |  Link
osgZach

Color banding and noise removal

Is it possible to deband a source and also denoise it?

Should I denoise first and then deband?

Using GradFun2DB for instance, it won't get rid of it but it will take the banding down a notch, however if I were to there apply something like LSFMod, or in general some other noise reducers / it will undo the bebanding( as it seems it just adds grain to break it up), and then the banding will come back with even more clarity and well defined borders.

So it ends up looking like an ugly gradient, for lack of a better term, with those wavey line borders and all that fun stuff.

What also puzzles me, is that even though I am doing no color mode conversions, etc to even create this banding (its present on the DVD source) when I watch either the DVD or a straight unfiltered encode of the same episode, you can almost not even tell it is there on the TV screen.

Why is that?

Any suggestions on some strong, but safe settings for GradFun2DB, or other x64 compiled filters for this (degrainmedian, etc?) would be preferred. I'll provide a source section once a test encode I am running is done, if its needed. But this was more of a general question on effective settings for some filters versus a plea for someone to do the work for me.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color banding, deblocking, noise reduction