Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 18th January 2008, 14:58   #1  |  Link
BloodLust8

sound boost

Can autogk do a sound boost?

The reason why i need it is cause I land up converting movies for my psp in xvid format but sometimes the sounds is just to soft to hear, with a pc its not a problem cause there are hundreds of solutions or u can just put ur volume on ur hifi loader but u don't have that luxury on a psp.
BloodLust8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 04:12   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Make sure you set AutoGK to output MP3 audio, which will apply a gain. If the gain is insufficient, you can demux, normalize and remux the audio quite easily using VirtualDubMod. You may "sometimes" be getting AC3 audio if you've left it to auto.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 23:30   #3  |  Link
BloodLust8

Unfortunately that lands up being alot of work as I land up converting 12+ videos at a time. It be alot nicer having a option in autogk that you tick to use and then set the volume boost.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:41   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Which part ends up being a lot of work? You haven't mentioned whether the files that are too low volume contain AC3 or not. If you set AutoGK to MP3 audio, it stays set that way until you change it back. See if that solves your problem.

There are other encoding programs that allow you to apply a gain during the audio pass.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 02:29   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@Bloodlust8

Hi!
Quote:
sometimes the sounds is just to soft to hear
Quote:
I land up converting 12+ videos at a time
But you have to first check them one at a time, to determine which need to have the audio adjusted...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 15:44   #6  |  Link
BloodLust8

thx for the replies.

Here is the general situation.

I have the original Box set of star gate (IE all source are the same quality, type of file etc..).

I convert them for the use on my psp to about 150mb, 128kVbr Mp3, Res 352.

So that means that every avi uses the same bitrate, resolution and audio codec.

but the problem comes in that sometimes the entire box set is just plain and simply soft and the sound output of the psp is not that loud (using headphones) on the tube.

So now I have 22 episodes of avi's all using mp3's but are to soft.

Now using VDub you have to individually open a avi and go set the boost source etc. and then save it to a batch and repeat the process another 21 times. As you can imagine this does take alot of time.

Ideally i would like to either be able to add additional parameters to autoGK for the boost or a 3rd party app that can set boost up by x amount and then select multi avi files or even a command based app than can boost volume inside avi files.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:06   #7  |  Link
weaver4

AutoGK does a normalize function to raise the level automatically to the highest level. RipBot264 has the same problem with the PS3 using AAC and they allow the audio to be coded at 200% over the max. PS3 is just to soft.

It has been a long time since I have done this so forgive me if I am wrong. But you can install AC3Filter on your computer, then configure the AC3Filter to give yourself another 20bd of gain by changing the master gain +20db. Now what I don't know is that AutoGK nomalize function will reduce the gain if it thinks it is too high.

Worth a try, but it is very old school.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:20   #8  |  Link
BloodLust8

Fortunately its not a problem for the pc cause there a billion things that can be done to volume, the simplest being just upping ur volume on you're hifi.

Unfortunately I only have my headphones on when using my psp on the tube so the only real option is to boost the volume.

Thx for telling me that autogk boosts it to its maximum capability.
Old 14th February 2008, 17:29   #9  |  Link
BloodLust8

Found a solution of sorts.

Landed up writing a VDub batcher app that can easily batch as many avi's u want.

If any1 would like a copy then let me know.
Old 14th February 2008, 20:34   #10  |  Link
weaver4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodLust8 View Post
Fortunately its not a problem for the pc cause there a billion things that can be done to volume, the simplest being just upping ur volume on you're hifi.

Unfortunately I only have my headphones on when using my psp on the tube so the only real option is to boost the volume.

Thx for telling me that autogk boosts it to its maximum capability.
Modifying the AC3filter like I suggested would increase the volume going into your encoder which makes the encoded output file louder. So this should solve your problem. So it goes like this:

DVD Audio->AC3Filter->Wav File->Lame->MP3 file->Muxer->AVI File.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote