Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th December 2016, 09:39   #21381  |  Link
VHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
It is just Life Of Pi that has this issue, and this is why i am trying to obtain another disc of this movie. At this point i am not sure of anything, it is a very strange issue and since i am unable to reproduce it with my other movies.
I've had the same 3D subtitle problem (finnish subs.) with Jungle Book and new Ghostbusters using LAV+madVR.
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 21:38   #21382  |  Link
Kotik

Good evening, i think i got some extra info regarding the 3D subtitles issue, i already ordered from amazon.de a german version of the Life Of Pi disc, meanwhile yesterday i started troubleshooting a bit deeper and i made an interesting discovery!!

So we know that there are movies out there that are using different eye information for base view, i did an experiment, i started the movie and reversed the 3D view on my TV settings, guess what!! the 3D subtitles this way look fine but the movie now looks wrong, as if these two elements exchanged the issue, now i wonder, do we respect the base view (which eye is used as base view) information for subtitles as well? i know we do it for the movie, but are we using this information for subtitles as well?
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 21:47   #21383  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't think subtitles have this information, but I can check. Maybe madVR accidentally applied that information wrong to the subtitles.
Old 8th December 2016, 21:57   #21384  |  Link
Kotik

Would be nice to know, cause it is a huge coincidence that if i reverse the 3D base view, suddenly the non working 3D subtitles start working perfectly fine, of course the video looks crazy this way but it is an indication that something is wrong around that area (which eye is used for base view), it could also explain why most people don't notice this issue, it is possible that the CEE release of Life Of Pi has reversed eye for base view? it is a possibility and this is why i made sure to order a completely different version of the movie this time.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:17   #21385  |  Link
Kotik

@nevcairiel is there an easy way to see whether a movie has reversed base view? and if there is could u point me to the right direction?

Thanx
Old 8th December 2016, 22:19   #21386  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I checked the specs, and subtitles don't care what order of views the video uses. Left eye should always use "+offset" and Right eye always "-offset". madshi would have to say if thats how he implemented it in madVR.

For the base view, LAV tells you in the stream listing. "lr" at the end means "left-right" (ie. normal), and "rl" the opposite.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:22   #21387  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Kotik, please don't use PM and forum at the same time. I read this thread, so if you post here, you don't have to PM me, as well.

@nevcairiel, how did we solve the 3D eye swapping for those weird movies where it's the unusual order? Are you doing the swapping or am I doing that? Couldn't find the swapping in my code, on a quick check. If you do swap the eyes in the decoder, then maybe you need to negate the subtitle depth information? Because in that case I simply don't know that any swapping took place.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 22:29   #21388  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@Kotik, please don't use PM and forum at the same time. I read this thread, so if you post here, you don't have to PM me, as well.
Sorry, i was just too excited with the discovery that i went ahead with it without thinking too much
Old 8th December 2016, 22:36   #21389  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I checked the specs, and subtitles don't care what order of views the video uses. Left eye should always use "+offset" and Right eye always "-offset". madshi would have to say if thats how he implemented it in madVR.

For the base view, LAV tells you in the stream listing. "lr" at the end means "left-right" (ie. normal), and "rl" the opposite.
Ice Age Continental Drift 3D is reported as "rl" by LAV splitter and the 3D subtitles are as expected wrong in this one, i just checked it.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:42   #21390  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I think it's likely that the eye swapping is the cause of the issue, because it would explain the problem oh so nicely. It's probably my fault. I'll see what I can do during the following weekend.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:43   #21391  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Seems reasonable, the offset going in the wrong direction looks totally weird.
Old 8th December 2016, 22:47   #21392  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think it's likely that the eye swapping is the cause of the issue, because it would explain the problem oh so nicely. It's probably my fault. I'll see what I can do during the following weekend.
I don't think that it has to be someones fault, i am glad that both u and nevcairiel contribute to this community.

I for one am glad that it might be a bug, if it indeed is then eventually it will be one bug less.

Keep up the good work guys, both of u. I really appreciate ur work.

Thanx.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:00   #21393  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Authoring studios can make mistakes too. I remember some DVDs which contain falsely flagged video streams. Flagging 3D BD subtitles with the wrong eye preference is merely an accidental check in a box in their authoring software, I guess?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 09:46   #21394  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

I think renderer must reverse subtitle offset based on flag from splitter.
Old 9th December 2016, 11:13   #21395  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Flagging 3D BD subtitles with the wrong eye preference is merely an accidental check in a box in their authoring software, I guess?
Like I explained above, subtitles don't have an eye preference, only the video stream does - and we already established that the video stream is flagged properly in these cases.

The easiest solution for the renderer would be to flip the video views to normal L/R order before applying subtitles to them, and everything should be fine - otherwise if the flow doesn't allow flipping first, the subtitle offset needs to be inverted based on the video view order flag.
Old 9th December 2016, 13:42   #21396  |  Link
red5goahead

to anyone interested VisualSubSync-Enhanced there are the Lav codec Delphi/Pascal interfaces in use in that project

LavAudioSettingsInterface.pas
LavSplitterSettingsInterface.pas
LavVideoSettingsInterface.pas

Would be useful in developer_info folder on github code section
red5goahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 16:53   #21397  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.69
Code:
LAV Splitter
- NEW: Support for extracting HDR metadata from YouTube HDR VP9 streams
- Fixed: Reading MKV files could crash when encountering tags for unknown or disabled streams

LAV Video
- NEW: Support for 10-bit UtVideo
- NEW: MagicYUV decoding support
- NEW: Experimental support for CineformHD decoding
- Fixed: Converting 12-bit 4:4:4 YCbCr to RGB32 would result in a garbled image
- Fixed: Decoding certain H.264 streams could drop a few frames at the start of playback

LAV Audio
- NEW: DTS Express (LBR) decoding support
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

Its been a long time since the last release, and some of these features have been in the nightly builds for a long time. Nevertheless, LAV Filters are far from dead, even if slowing down a bit as the list of important features still in need of development shrinks.

YouTube HDR
This version introduces support for YouTube HDR streams, which utilize VP9 Profile2 10-bit streams, and HDR metadata in the container.
For this metadata to be properly passed to the video renderer, you'll need LAV Splitter and LAV Video, as well as a video renderer that can understand it - at this time only madVR.

DTS Express support
DTS Express was the last missing piece of full DTS support, and eventhough its only typically used for commentary tracks on Blu-rays and not primary audio tracks, its still noteworthy for people trying to archive and potentially transcode all the available audio.

More!
In addition to the major points listed above, there is a whole list of small fixes and improvements mainly on the side of FFmpeg that this build makes available to LAV Filters users.

As always, please report any regressions or bugs with the appropriate information to fully analyze it, even better with a sample file to reproduce it!
Thanks, and have fun.

PS:
I'll be on vacation in Australia all through January, so don't be alarmed when there is no responses.
Old 11th December 2016, 16:59   #21398  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'll be on vacation in Australia all through January
Sounds amazing! You may need to prepare for a cold weather shock, though, when you come back to Germany in February!!
Old 11th December 2016, 17:38   #21399  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Arf, I guess I don't come here the right day. I have a feature request (hoping I don't say something wrong).
In France, several of our Internet providers use RTSP streams for IPTV. Unfortunately, with LAV splitter, it often results in errors when trying to read the channel. You have to try several time hoping it will work at some point. I've tried to change "Stream Analysis Duration" values, but without success.
With VLC (which is recommended by provider), there's no problem at all (except VLC quality).

From what I understood, LAV filters use FFMPEG for RTSP, whereas VLC Uses live555.com RTSP implementation. Do you think you can do something about it ? I know it's not really motivating, I don't have links to test, since the RTSP content is between computer and the Provider router.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 18:15   #21400  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't have any plans to work on streaming sources, sorry. It doesn't fit the existing architecture very well and if someone were to do a proper streaming source filter it would probably be better to do that entirely differently.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter