Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th May 2018, 21:58   #1  |  Link
tasosss

desktop recording

Hello.
I'm sorry if this question is irrelevant.
I own a remote machine which is in another continent than the own i live.There's a video player at this machine that displays some video
and i would like to see if there is any latency etc.
All possible solutions including ffmpeg recording desktop and other
related software need to have an open window of the remote desktop.
This means that the recording is not as someone would observe it if he was at the actual machine(because of latency between me and the server).
So,is there any way to record the remote desktop(or even a specific window) as it actually being displayed?
Thank you very much!
tasosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 05:15   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

I'm not sure I understand the question. There are dozens of "screen sharing" apps, like the old Netmeeting that was built into Windows for years. With these apps, you can see the remote computer screen. There is also an option, with the remote user's permission, that lets you control the remote computer from your keyboard and mouse.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 12:54   #3  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

(agree, question very unclear)

Here is a list of screen sharing / remote control applications. There are lots of choices. I have used and can recommend two of them, Mikogo (commercial / free to use) and UltraVNC (open source).

Remote control applications will display the remote desktop, but media playback is very degraded in my experience. These programs are not optimized for that. You need another application, a screencaster. Again there are many choices. I would suggest OBS Studio. It can record or stream the remote desktop (or a cropped portion of same, or specific window) as it actually being displayed. Quality can be very high as encoding is done with x264 (or nvenc etc). On the client end you simply use a media player like VLC or MPC-HC.

Last edited by raffriff42; 12th May 2018 at 12:58.
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 16:24   #4  |  Link
tasosss

Thank you for replying.
Well suppose you live in Europe and you have a virtual machine in Philippines.And then you start playing with vlc a 4K movie on the Philippines machine...If you try to watch it remotely it will be very difficult(latency etc etc).
But if you were in front of the screen at the Philippines machine you will be able to watch the move just fine.
My question is.How can i record for example the vlc window so when i download the recorded file to my computer(in europe) and play it...t o watch it as it should be displayed.
@raffriff42 I tried OBS with no luck BUT i think that you understood my problem.So i connect via rdp on the machine.Start recording the target window with obs,but the result will be the exact result that i watch via rdp.
Thanks again really appreciated.
Old 12th May 2018, 17:57   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

If you want to watch recorded video in a remote location, look at Slingbox. It lets you play video, at full frame rate, that is recorded in the Philippines, but which you want to watch in Europe:

Slingbox
Old 12th May 2018, 19:58   #6  |  Link
tasosss

Thanks for replying.
It's actually live video from a non tv related source(or some tv package).
I just want to record the video as it is shown at the remote computer so i can compare the quality with the same thing displayed in europe for example.
Old 12th May 2018, 21:06   #7  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasosss View Post
Thanks for replying.
It's actually live video from a non tv related source(or some tv package).
I just want to record the video as it is shown at the remote computer so i can compare the quality with the same thing displayed in europe for example.
Yes, I understand that the video is on the computer. However, if you can connect the computer to the Slingbox, it will do what you want. Some of the Slingbox models have component input and others have HDMI input. So, if your computer has either of those outputs, or if you can add one of those outputs, Slingbox will work.

If Slingbox won't do the job, do some Google research on products which compete with it. Some of them may be able to accept VGA input. You should also look into DVI to HDMI converters because your graphic card may have DVI output. Here's one such comparison: Slingbox Alternatives.

So, Slingbox may not work, but something related to it probably will work.
Old 12th May 2018, 22:07   #8  |  Link
tasosss

Well i don't say that it won't work but i can't do something like that unfortunately.
Thank you anyway for your replies

Tags
desktop, recording, remote