Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th January 2010, 21:33   #621  |  Link
osgZach

Sorry if this has been asked before (its a huge thread after all), but I'd like to know how (if possible) to prevent Subrip from skipping ANY subtitle line for any reason.

For instance, when I finished OCR'ing some subs, the main program window lists the total VOB Pictures as 39, but the text window after OCR only goes up to Index 37 and says 2 were skipped for being too short/small ?

I looked around but can't tell what to change (if anything, hopefully) to prevent this from happening. I at least want to know that it isn't crucial dialogue or something I can correct myself. I turned "Skip subtitles shorter than" down to 0ms in gobal options, but that didn't seem to change anything.. Is it something under Advanced OCR?
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 09:06   #622  |  Link
Mauron

Any news about this good program?
Mauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 15:09   #623  |  Link
vartaxe

i would say subrip just like subtitle workshop are dead projects right know...
vartaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 07:17   #624  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

lych_necross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 07:33   #625  |  Link
Mauron

So, is there an alternative and supported program that can do what SubRip does?
Mauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 07:28   #626  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

Maybe, I still use Subrip as it works fine for me. You could try easySUP (its still actively developed).
lych_necross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 02:04   #627  |  Link
Rarok

Hello, Ive been using from a time ago subrip for getting the subs from DVDs and it always worked perfectly. But now I'm trying to use it for hardsubs and I'm being crazy with it. I'm always getting white zones that I can't take off without deleting the real text.

I'm using the Fill: Open and large areas, and the color text at 30. The only thing I didn't tried are the Frames options, but I don't undertand how they work, at least I undertand that the Skip First is when the text has fading but it's not the thing so I put it on 0, but for "update every" and "min.duration" I don't know if they can help me.
Rarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 05:25   #628  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarok View Post
Hello, Ive been using from a time ago subrip for getting the subs from DVDs and it always worked perfectly. But now I'm trying to use it for hardsubs and I'm being crazy with it. I'm always getting white zones that I can't take off without deleting the real text.

I'm using the Fill: Open and large areas, and the color text at 30. The only thing I didn't tried are the Frames options, but I don't undertand how they work, at least I undertand that the Skip First is when the text has fading but it's not the thing so I put it on 0, but for "update every" and "min.duration" I don't know if they can help me.
I just started playing around today with using SubRip to pull hardcoded subs from a Divx file -- one with low resolution and terrible video quality, unfortunately. I'm still playing around with the maze of buttons to figure out what does what and why, but not making much progress. The OCR seems to pick up on everything EXCEPT the subtitles, even when I click the image to pick a text and outline color. The low quality and video resolution means the text itself is full of slightly different colors due to compression, and SubRip doesn't seem to be able to handle that. I'll be checking back in this thread if I've had any breakthroughs -- or if I've made no progress at all.

Right now I'm working on instead feeding SubRip an avisynth script full of filters to denoise, smooth, and flatten everything out so the finicky OCR can pick out the letters. MSmooth is my current hopeful for doing most of the work, but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

The ability to scan hardcoded subs out of arbitrary video files is a genius feature, god bless whoever wrote it, but it's definitely still incomplete.
Prettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:12   #629  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

OCR only works decently if the letters look similar each time they appear and if edges are easily detectable. Your video sounds like it doesn't fulfill either of those requirements so no OCR engine will be able to make much sense of it. It's probably faster to just copy the subs by hand.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 02:06   #630  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
OCR only works decently if the letters look similar each time they appear and if edges are easily detectable. Your video sounds like it doesn't fulfill either of those requirements so no OCR engine will be able to make much sense of it. It's probably faster to just copy the subs by hand.
You're right about my video being total crap. But I'm determined to use the OCR; for one thing, I've got to get the timings. There's no way I'm going to do the entire subtitling process by hand (and for the first time ever), hell no. So I at least needed to try to get it so SubRip could recognize when there are subs and when there aren't, otherwise it interrupts every few frames and asks me to enter the entire subtitle (when there isn't one on screen).

After tons of trial and error I've finally come up with an Avisynth script that gets SubRip to behave acceptably. Although there's probably more I could do, I don't have much experience using filters to dramatically change the picture. After playing around with other options I came back to MSmooth because it does the effect I need best. There was also no way to get any kind of acceptable results without feeding SubRip a greatly upscaled video res.
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveGrainSSE3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\FluxSmooth.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\MSmooth.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\WarpSharpYV12.dll")

AviSource("E:\Video2\Anime\Kiki's Delivery Service (sub).avi")   #560x320

Crop(32,252,-32,0,align=true)   #496x68

FluxSmoothST(4,4)
RemoveGrain(mode=1)

BicubicResize(1736,238,b=1/3,c=1/3)
RemoveGrain(mode=1)
MSmooth(threshold=20,strength=5,chroma=true,highq=true)
RemoveGrain(mode=1)
WarpSharp(depth=90,blur=4)
FluxSmoothST(6,6)
RemoveGrain(mode=1)

ConvertToRGB32()
LanczosResize(992,136)
ConvertToRGB24()
My use of FluxSmooth here probably isn't having any helpful effect, but I don't think it's having a detrimental effect on the picture for the later filters, so I keep it there "just in case". Same thing with RemoveGrain. The text still has many different shades of yellow and yellow-green in it (even within the same letter) and there's definitely nothing that can be done about that. So I needed jack the OCR's text color tolerance way, way up.

I'm still not sure whether the filtering task I'm trying to accomplish would be more effective in YV12, with subsampled chroma, or in a 1:1 color space. No way to test that, obviously, so it's just a theoretical question.
Old 28th May 2010, 03:26   #631  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

I seem to have triggered an infinite loop in SubRip when I was in the "View/Edit Character Matrix" dialog while the OCR-from-video-file process was on, but stopped. I pressed the "Delete This Character" button while a zero-character symbol was selected and it did that then froze up. The application doesn't look like it's frozen, but its CPU usage is steady at 100% of one CPU core, and clicking anywhere on its windows just causes Windows' "ding" sound. It's stayed this way for 6 or 7 minutes now. The character matrix was enormous, though; maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:21   #632  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

I'm trying to turn my sup file (from DVB TV) into srt. Not many programs are compatible with this. So far I managed to demux with projectX and convert it to bitmaps with DVDSupTools all automatically with the video file name passed as a parameter to a batch file.

Now I need to turn the bitmaps to srt with SubRip. I can do it manually by clicking File >> Open Image Sequence and taking it from there. I need to do it with the CLI. Can anyone go through how to set it up please? Because I can't work out how to do it. I can post the results when it is done if anyone is interested too.
mr.duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:10   #633  |  Link
krosswindz

It would be nice if subrip could join srt files. Subtitle Workshop works but requires the files to be ANSI format. Some of the newer subtitles are either unicode/UTF-8 which it doesnt support afaik.
krosswindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:21   #634  |  Link
Buggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosswindz View Post
It would be nice if subrip could join srt files. Subtitle Workshop works but requires the files to be ANSI format. Some of the newer subtitles are either unicode/UTF-8 which it doesnt support afaik.
It's a bit of killing a fly with an elephant, but you could mux them in MkvToolnix and then extract them. Then they'll be joined.
The other option is to install VobSub with the submodification tool. I do not know its name at this point (as I always only join subs when joining vids, and I use MKV only) but you'll find it soon enough. When installed, it works via the context menu.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:21   #635  |  Link
Foofaraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosswindz View Post
Load them into Notepad++ and convert them to Ansi and save them again.
Foofaraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 09:21   #636  |  Link
Frogger13
Just another User

Matrix Debuging

For all these with big character matrixes and some wrong character, here's a mod that will allow you to easily identify the bad characters in the Matrix entry and correct/delete them:

Links to unofficial version 1.50 beta 5:

Program: http://www.mediafire.com/?d3aa3rp4a43o0bm

Code: http://www.mediafire.com/?epbh8ifhc8pwzvd

Enjoy
Frogger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 19:27   #637  |  Link
danideicide

I have a hardsubed video and i want to get only the timings, can someone tell me how to do it?
danideicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 22:45   #638  |  Link
lovelove

Hi folks. I don't like my .srt output to be formatted (e.g <i>...</i>), so could you help me with either one of the points below:

1) can I tell SubRip not to format the output (i.e. ignore formatting)?
or
2) is there a clean-up operation in SubRip I could perform to delete formatting tags ?
or
3) in "view/edit character matrix": can I deselct the italics checkbox for all glyphs (I have >5000, too many to do this manually one-by-one) ?

thank you!

(PS: I know I can run a search&replace on the output file with any text editor, if I can avoid doing that each time, that would be great.)

Last edited by lovelove; 14th August 2011 at 22:48.
lovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:15   #639  |  Link
lovelove

PS: Can SubRip extract/export closed captions (CC)? When selecting files in SubRip which include CCs, SubRip says "Information: Closed Captions detected (2x)". So I was wondering if SubRip can detect them, can SubRip also display and save them to a text file?

Thank you.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:19   #640  |  Link
lovelove

other question: I entered a wrong character in the section marked below (in red circle).
Any ideas how to remove it? All my attempts failed. Thank you.

Last edited by lovelove; 3rd September 2011 at 19:23.