Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 22nd June 2006, 06:08   #81  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

No need to "shout".

From DVD Decrypter:

Tools - Drive - Close - Disc

A log would be useful - you should make sure your firmware is up to date and you are using the best media - I recommend Verbatim over Ridata any day. This is probably the cause of your troubles.

And as for the advice to use -R for DL, that is phooey. Use +R for maximum compatibilty. A search of this forum will show you why.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 22nd June 2006 at 06:10.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:29   #82  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

DL DVD-Rs are absolutely NOT compatibles with the standard method to determine and set the layer break position. On -Rs, the layer break is ALWAYS at the same position, at the end of L0.

To have a good burn:
- Use only ImgBurn. DVD Decrypter is still an excellent ripper, but is slightly outdated as a burner. In particular, is is not recommended to burn DL-Rs.
- Avoid crappy media. Use ONLY Verbatim DL DVD+Rs.
- If you really need to burn a DL-R, you MUST examine the number of sectors in L0 with ImgBurn, and copy this number in the Burn Setup GUI. Then, you MUST set the DL Media Type to Dual Layer DVD-R, and you MUST use ImgBurn to burn it. Even if you do everything correctly, coasters are frequent with DL-Rs!
Next time, buy a standalone that supports +Rs!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:50   #83  |  Link
ux-3

perhaps changing the book type might do the trick for DL+R
ux-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:32   #84  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

whay does anyone use -r DL? that media will be dead soon...just does not work. -r was more compatible for single layer media a few years back...but now +r is just as good

-R DL=waste of time and money
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:15   #85  |  Link
vandienk

Well pals...
I have to thank all the people who are giving me some information about this problem I have and I am definitely sorry for the capitals.
Now, I have a few more questions that come to my mind regarding this issue.

1) I was suggested that maybe the reason why my stand alone DVD player doesn't read the recorded disc is that it might NOT read DVD Dual layers, but then I think, Last week's DVD+R DLs burnt are played by the device, but this one is not. What's more, as soon as I insert the disc on the player, the laser gets kinda stuck at the reading and I just read the recongnised format "DVD" at the LCD display and then, the player becomes absolutely impossible to work. I have tried ejecting the disc, it doesn't work; tried turning off the device, doesn't work. The only way to make it eject is to unplug the player and when I plug it back, it just ejects it. Very weird!!
Another thing that comes to my mind is: I have always assumed original DVD's (DVD-9) were Dual layer discs, so if my DV player reads them, why wouldn't it read recorded ones?

What's more, I still keep inserting the DVD on the driver that created it and I am still able to watch it with PowerDVD on the PC. So I guess the incompatibility suggestion is the best explanation to why my stand-alone DVD player doesn't play it, but why doesn't it say NO DISC instead of getting stuck and behaving so weirdly (as described)

2) Let's imagine I now try to burn a new .iso file using ImgBurn (as it was suggested here - since DVD Decrypter is no longer updated) and I still use Ridata DVD-R DL (because I bought 7 of them). Somebody said that setting a layer break with this media is useless because the layer break is ALWAYS at the same place. So how do you suggest I burn it?

3) One more thing: If DVD-R DL are not compaible with more stand alone DVD layer. What other use rather than backing up a movie do they have? I mean, What else can they be used for?

I do hope you can still help me with all this and thanxs again for all the help.
vandienk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 01:45   #86  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
Another thing that comes to my mind is: I have always assumed original DVD's (DVD-9) were Dual layer discs, so if my DV player reads them, why wouldn't it read recorded ones?
The ability to play a commercial, pressed double-layered DVD has nothing to do with the ability, or lack of ability, to play burned media - single layered, double-layered, +R, or -R...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 02:39   #87  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@vandienk

Well, use your 7 Ridata -Rs but expect varied perfomance and frustration.

To burn them, you must set your capacities correctly in PgcEdit's burn setup dialogue. Insert a blank into the drive and open ImgBurn. Note the Number of free sectors and L0 capacity and enter those numbers correctly. Save your settings.

Then burn as you normally would - PgcEdit will help calculate the LB.

Regards

Old 23rd June 2006, 02:41   #88  |  Link
vandienk

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old
Hi!The ability to play a commercial, pressed double-layered DVD has nothing to do with the ability, or lack of ability, to play burned media - single layered, double-layered, +R, or -R...
OK... That having been said, am I right to assume that since my stand-alone DVD player plays the two previously burnt DVD+R DL, it DOES read that format, but not DVD-R DL, right?

Thanxs for the help!
vandienk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:08   #89  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

I have yet to see a player that will not read dvd +r DL and I have an 8 year old toshiba....booktype the +r DLs to DVD-Rom though.

I have yet to see a player play a -r DL consistently.

Chuck out you -r DLs and get +r DL....only choose verbatim and get a good burner like LG or Benq...all problems will be solved. Burn with PGCEdit/IMGBurn
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:44   #90  |  Link
berrick

Just to add my 5penny worth

nwg stated:
Quote:
Nero is really only worth using if you don't change anything and do a exact 1:1 copy. If you change something. The layer change position will be very likely in a different position which Nero deicdes when burning.
Nero v7 will burn perfect copies IF, From my experience, you rip in file mode using DVDd then burn without modifcation using a good quality disk, the ones that worked for me where Datawrite with RITEK-D01-01 dye.

and
ux-3 stated
Quote:
Basically, I burned the manipulated files with NERO6 and got what I deserved, a faulty layer break. But more obvious: The disk does not go anywhere. If I use the remote and press menu, the animated menu comes but the buttons don't work.
This is also the case with Nero v7 from my experience. I normally use PGCedit for the manipulation and till now Nero for burning and get DL dvd's that play L0 fine then jump then hang sometime into L1 and generally hang when tring to use the chapter menus.

I may have come a bit late to this but it might clarify a few points

Additional info:
Burner Pioneer DVR-111D and DVR-109
Player 5 year old Pioneer DV-626D

Last edited by berrick; 23rd June 2006 at 08:48.
berrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:01   #91  |  Link
ux-3

simply don't burn with Nero... but I guess we all don't mind a guy doing our reserach at 2 bucks a pop... ;-)
ux-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 18:01   #92  |  Link
berrick

I must admit i have found nero to be rather fussy about DVD structure compliance. I have found if the dvd im trying to burn opens without issue in PGCedit/vobblanker it has all ways "burned ok" have also used Fixvts on ocasion to check or correct.

I'm using NERO v7 not sure bout earlier version ;

But to clarify

To date using Nero v7 to burn an un altered DL dvd works for me in the circumstances i posted above
Old 23rd June 2006, 23:50   #93  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Updated guide

See here for updated guide.

Regards

Old 24th June 2006, 11:17   #94  |  Link
berrick

I've bin itching to give this guide a try, but so bizzy at the mo, plus i dont like posting for help if i can help it. Knowing me i'm sure to have some question
Old 24th June 2006, 12:50   #95  |  Link
dialysis1

I just read the updated guide. I have one word.
EXCELLENT!
dialysis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 11:52   #96  |  Link
campari212

(del)

Last edited by campari212; 26th June 2006 at 12:12.
campari212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 17:29   #97  |  Link
frank
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by vandienk:
...as soon as I insert the disc on the player, the laser gets kinda stuck at the reading and I just read the recognised format "DVD" at the LCD display and then, the player becomes absolutely impossible to work.
Because the LB setting or the file system is wrong (UDF) it wants to read information from non-existant sectors, or it cannot recognise the book-type.
Quote:
...I still keep inserting the DVD on the driver that created it and I am still able to watch it with PowerDVD on the PC.
A PC can use the ISO file system, or the UDF. The Windows OS has more intelligence than a stupid dvd player (access via file names instead of ifo pointers).

The whole trouble comes from pre-embossed/pre-written areas (with fixed information about L0 size) of the -R standard! (movie mafia)
To solve the problems with -R DL you have to climb over mountains. It is basically possible to burn -R DL DVDs with a changed Layer Break (Layer Jump method etc.), so the standard says. But the filesystem layouter MKISOFS doesn't support it (->predefined anchor point positions) and a big workaround has to be done (in ImgBurn and PgcEdit). Until now not solved.
But why? Use DVD+R DL.

Last edited by frank; 26th June 2006 at 17:41.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 22:49   #98  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
The Windows OS has more intelligence than ...
Never thought I'd see this in writing except from Micro$oft!!!

Regards

Old 27th June 2006, 10:11   #99  |  Link
frank
Banned

Hey, I'm not a fan of M$! I meant file access via OS.

BTW blutach, can you change the title of your guide into "How to burn Double Layer Disks..."? Dual Layer is a bit misleading.
Dual Layer is used for -R DL and Double Layer is used for +R DL.

Last edited by frank; 27th June 2006 at 10:15.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 11:43   #100  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Yes - it really should be "dual and double layer", but I suspect most people know what we are talking about anyway, yes? And others might get confused as to why the two terms.

Regards