Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 31st March 2003, 21:03   #1  |  Link
el_sr_al

Ogg Machine lower bitrate/quality

Hi,
I have recently started to use the ogg machine in order to obtain ogg audio files to then mux with divx videos to play in my PocketPc.
I'm trying to get smaller files so that I get smooth playback of movies in the ppc, and I thought I would give Ogg machine a shot, I use the quality option in the Ogg Vorbis box and I tried to use the lowest one 0.001, but the obtained file is 51 mbs (for an original 113min movie soundtrack) I have tried to obtain smaller file sizes modifying manually the values in the quality boxes but I always end up with a file of 51mb.
Is ist possible to downgrade the quality of the conversion more in any way?
Thanks
El_sr_al
el_sr_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2003, 23:29   #2  |  Link
TheXung

The vorbis encoder supports quality at least all the way down to -1. If you get a hold of Garf's floggy mod, you can use -2. Just think, 3~4 kps sound

To use the command line encoder, you have to use ogg machine to output the sound as a wave and then from the command line, run the encoder with the wave as input.

It's really ashame the author of Ogg Machine hasn't seen the need to put quality values below 0. Often times, the orignal sound quality is really not worth the extra bits of 0.01 quality like the sound in some anime sources. Gets annoying to have to make an intermediate wave file.

Another thing I've always wondered is if a noise gate would benefit sound for movies. I mean the sound in movies is not like music, there are lots of gaps of silence that's really very quiet noise that gets encoded. Now I'm not sure if there's already a noise gate somewhere in the chain of tools used in ogg machine but it just baffles me that a sound source that is mostly low frequency voices with intermittant silences would require 50~65 kps at quality 0.

Last edited by TheXung; 31st March 2003 at 23:35.
TheXung is offline   Reply With Quote