Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd September 2015, 21:29   #33061  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNcH View Post
Ha! I succeeded! Easily reproducible here... Exactly same symptoms as with live channel switching.

Add the following two files (10s each) to a DVBViewer playlist, then play it.

As I said it requires FSE here. When video freezes, the problem will persist until you kick madVR out of FSE via CTRL+ALT+DEL. So the duration of the single files should not matter. You will hear that the files are still alternately being played back when video hangs, as audio still works.
Wonderful - thanks - I can reproduce problems here! Will look at it tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
1. Yes, I do have, here's the log, thanks: http://pastebin.com/YCsxfMDv
Interesting. Might have to do a test build for that, but not today, anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
3. 1 more thing popped in my mind about cropped black bars and profiling by size : will this work/detect screen changes on the fly?
Yes, it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Well even if it was downscaled in gamma light at some point, using SuperRes with linear light isn't incorrect; it'll just look like an upscaled version of the image. It might deviate from the original a bit, but that's because the downscaled version deviates from the original (because of the 'incorrect' downscaling).
Yeah, but I want to get as near as possible to the original image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
My TV has to be in Game Mode or Graphics Mode when on the desktop. (full chroma res, low latency, but less accurate picture)
It has to be in Movie Mode when watching full-screen videos. (more accurate picture, though it drops chroma res to 4:2:2 and latency increases by ~100ms)

I don't know how or where it is specified, but the picture mode does change on the TV if it's set to auto.
On the desktop, it uses Graphics Mode, when I launch a game it enters Game Mode, if I play a video in WMP it enters General Mode.
You can manually change the Content Type in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and Movie Mode/Photo Mode also work; though I've not seen it switch to them automatically.
It might be able to change that via NVidia specific APIs. But that's ultra low priority for me atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
It's not one color, there are images in place of blank pillarboxing.

Or sometimes they repeat the edges of the video in the pillarbox with a gaussian blur over them, which I find very distracting.

It is unfortunately common for videos which are, for example, commentary over 4:3 footage.
It's not something that I think madVR should be detecting and isn't, but something which could also make use of the crop and aspect ratio features via file tags.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Hummm I have been too fast.... CUVID is the real problem that create the freeze and black screen.... using DVXA copy back in LAV fix the problem....and create it when I revert to CUVID...
(Once you change cuvid to dvxa cb it is important to kill the 2 madvr & mpchc apps open in the task manager or it will not work)
Ok, I'll check if I can reproduce the problem here when using CUVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
Does it allow to show/hide subtitles with keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys)?
I'm not sure.

Quote:
Yes
Well, in that case I hope you can live with keeping that option enabled. Currently I can't fix this easily because it's not really a bug, but a side effect of a performance optimization. It will have to wait until I revisit the whole screenshot stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Okay I finally understand now. Here's the log : http://www.mediafire.com/download/09...NEDI3-+log.txt . Thanks for being so patient.
Why oh why do so many users not zip text files for uploading?

Anyway, too late to dig into the log today, will do that tomorrow...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:48   #33062  |  Link
Serhiyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not sure.
If I have to go into context menu or tray icon every time, it's even worse alternative. Would be great if it supported hotkeys, but as far as I see - it doesn't
Serhiyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:40   #33063  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:

I'm not aware of a single TV or projector which supports 120Hz input, but I'm sure some models will support it. It's very rare, though. HDMI in theory also supports 111Hz or 88Hz. Bandwidth issues aside, the key problem is what the firmware of the TV/projector supports. And most manufacturers don't bother implementing support for 120Hz. And why should they? It would cost them development resources which 99.99% of all users wouldn't ever use. Furthermore, with a 120Hz input they would probably have to extend the firmware to automatically disable all sorts of algorithms, like their own black frame insertion, motion interpolation etc. So I understand that they don't bother supporting high refresh rate input.

The situation may change if some important future gaming console is fast enough for 120Hz rendering. Or if UHD at some point supports 120Hz content.
Actually, new Sony TVs support 120hz
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/sony/x930c

See the video games part.
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:51   #33064  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

Anyway, too late to dig into the log today, will do that tomorrow...
Oops, didn't dawn on me to use compression. Will next time...I hope.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:50   #33065  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Could make a message requesting that after the log has been created.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:21   #33066  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Ok. Can you send me a debug log which covers the crash?
Oops sorry, error message seemed identical so I wasn't sure whether a new log would help

Log files sent for 89.3b & 89.3e to your email.

Quote:
Why would you need that? madVR already detects the black bars automatically. So you don't have to do anything manually.
These days I mostly use it for VHS captures that come with mistracking rolling bars at the bottom, I just get them out of the active picture and I would thoroughly enjoy a filename tag in order to nail them once and for all if any possible please.

I've also used it to rescan 15/9 to 16/9, I'm done in 5 clicks when it already takes 5 clicks to open mVR's control panel and reach the black bars section.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:22   #33067  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Hummm I have been too fast.... CUVID is the real problem that create the freeze and black screen.... using DVXA copy back in LAV fix the problem....and create it when I revert to CUVID...
(Once you change cuvid to dvxa cb it is important to kill the 2 madvr & mpchc apps open in the task manager or it will not work)
If you're under win 10 cuvid is no longer supported by nvidia drivers, so if you select it in lav you'll get that freeze. It's a pity because is the only thing that can access HW deinterlacing in lav, problem is that HW deinterlacing in Madvr with DVXA CB in video mode (at least in my case) doesn't work either (no doubling whatsoever, it always halves the frames and SVP doubles them again so I have to stick with yadiff...)

Last edited by AndreaMG; 23rd September 2015 at 07:26.
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:36   #33068  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
If you're under win 10 cuvid is no longer supported by nvidia drivers, so if you select it in lav you'll get that freeze. It's a pity because is the only thing that can access HW deinterlacing in lav, problem is that HW deinterlacing in Madvr with DVXA CB in video mode (at least in my case) doesn't work either (no doubling whatsoever, it always halves the frames and SVP doubles them again so I have to stick with yadiff...)
SVP takes the frames from the decoder not the renderer so SVP only gets the interlaced stream.

and nvdia is using "double" FPS deinterlacing by default. the input for madVR is still 29.97 that's just how deinterlacing works 60 field in 29.97 frames.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:14   #33069  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
If you're under win 10 cuvid is no longer supported by nvidia drivers, so if you select it in lav you'll get that freeze.
Thats nonsense, CUVID on Windows 10 works perfectly fine.

For some reason it just causes issues with madVRs image doubling. Maybe CUVID/CUDA in D3D9 mode doesn't like having OCL in D3D11 mode at the same time or something.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:16   #33070  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNcH View Post
Ha! I succeeded! Easily reproducible here... Exactly same symptoms as with live channel switching.

Add the following two files (10s each) to a DVBViewer playlist, then play it.
Ok, does this build fix the problem?

http://madshi.net/madVR893f.rar

Seems to help at least on my PC.

Quote:
If I have to go into context menu or tray icon every time, it's even worse alternative. Would be great if it supported hotkeys, but as far as I see - it doesn't
Maybe you could suggest adding hotkeys in the XySubFilter thread? Although development has been idle recently, sadly...

I can see, maybe I can rerender the frame in paused mode once every second or so? That should solve the subtitle problem without burning the GPU too much, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Actually, new Sony TVs support 120hz
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/sony/x930c

See the video games part.
Oh, color me positively surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Oops, didn't dawn on me to use compression. Will next time...I hope.
It's not really a problem, just wondering since compression works by far best on text files like that.

So, I had a quick look at your debug log, but I'm not totally sure what to look for. I can see that it contains about 30 seconds of runtime. So which was the problem exactly which you captured in this debug log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
These days I mostly use it for VHS captures that come with mistracking rolling bars at the bottom, I just get them out of the active picture and I would thoroughly enjoy a filename tag in order to nail them once and for all if any possible please.

I've also used it to rescan 15/9 to 16/9, I'm done in 5 clicks when it already takes 5 clicks to open mVR's control panel and reach the black bars section.
Ah ok, that makes more sense to me. The screenshot you showed using PotPlayer's pan&scan looked like it should be auto detected by madVR, so the screenshot didn't really explain well why you would want to crop via file name tag.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:46   #33071  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
Ok, does this build fix the problem?

http://madshi.net/madVR893f.rar

Seems to help at least on my PC.
Not on mine. I now use the playlist approach with the 2 files I gave you to reproduce the problem. madVR/DVBViewer only survived few changes until it got stuck again. Binary is for sure the correct one (23.09.2015 10:05). It did not get any better here .
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:57   #33072  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ouch. Then the problem you have must be a different problem to the one I saw here. Can you upload your madVR "settings.bin" (if madVR has write access to its own folder on your PC, otherwise "HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings", so that I can try with the same madVR settings? Also are you using any special LAV Video Decoder settings? You said earlier it occurs with both software and native DXVA decoding, so that doesn't seem to play much of a role here. Is there any way to copy the DVBViewer settings? Which GPU are you using, which display resolution and refresh rate? And which OS? Maybe if I try to match my playback as much as possible to yours, hopefully I can reproduce the same issue then...
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:06   #33073  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
Can you upload your madVR "settings.bin"
settings.bin

Quote:
Also are you using any special LAV Video Decoder settings?
Latest 0.66. Reproduced with dxva2n and avcodec (SW).

Quote:
Is there any way to copy the DVBViewer settings?
I am attaching my setup.xml which you have to copy to the DVBViewer configuration folder. But I don't think that it will make any difference.

setup.xml

Quote:
Which GPU are you using, which display resolution and refresh rate?
Intel Ivy Bridge HD 4000 graphics @ 1080p50.

Quote:
And which OS?
Win7 32-Bit.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:20   #33074  |  Link
ShadyCrab

Nvidia GTX 960, Windows 10. Enabling NNEDI3 does nothing but enable the Jinc3 AR fallback for some reason. Theres not even a hint of it trying to enable it and then failing. This is with the newest 0.89.3.

This is the same behaviour as the previous builds, not sure whats going on/what to do. Would somehow regenerating the NNEDI3 kernel in the registry help if there was a way?
ShadyCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:33   #33075  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyCrab View Post
Nvidia GTX 960, Windows 10
You should read the previous posts regarding this, god knows there's enough of them and with solutions.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:34   #33076  |  Link
CiNcH

@madshi

since I am ill at home, I took the oportunity to think a bit about how you could better be prepared for Live TV matters. I know we talked about it on the DVBViewer forums but I would like to give it another shot .

Therefore I also tried out several things...

(1) Dreambox
As it turned, you can easily use any E2 STB as network frontend for the DVBViewer. I tried that out with my UNiBOX HD eco+ and OpenATV image. You will find a comprehensive tutorial here, which should apply to all E2 STBs.

There is one catch which cost me a bit of time. Zapping via the URL is only possible when the STB is in Standby (not Deep Standby of course). Otherwise the STB is the master and does not allow external sources to change the channel/stream.

This really works beautifully.

(2) USB-Tuner
I did an inventory and I have quite a lot of prototype DVB hardware, see attached image.

They are all DVB-S2 USB2 devices. I tested their proper functionality right now. They have been in the closet for several years and are just catching dust. I would be more than happy to give something back and send you one for free.

Or if you prefer PCIe, I also have 2 Tevii S470 and an S482.
Attached Images

Last edited by CiNcH; 23rd September 2015 at 12:52.
CiNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:42   #33077  |  Link
Serhiyko

Quote:
I can see, maybe I can rerender the frame in paused mode once every second or so? That should solve the subtitle problem without burning the GPU too much, I suppose.
How about making it optional (with rerendering being disabled by default, of course)? It's an ideal solution but the only and big downside is an additional option itself, which may contribute to options being overfilled (too much options). But I think it's better than rerendering paused mode for all, which most people will not need, and for ones who need every second may be too long, so it's a bad solution for both. The decision to make is up to you
Serhiyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:51   #33078  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyCrab View Post
Nvidia GTX 960, Windows 10. Enabling NNEDI3 does nothing but enable the Jinc3 AR fallback for some reason. Theres not even a hint of it trying to enable it and then failing. This is with the newest 0.89.3.

This is the same behaviour as the previous builds, not sure whats going on/what to do. Would somehow regenerating the NNEDI3 kernel in the registry help if there was a way?
Got gtx 960 strix 4G. No problem here
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:19   #33079  |  Link
kingfire

Quote:

Does this only occur with NNEDI3 or also with super-xbr or NEDI image doubling? Try deleting the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL". Does that help?
Only with NNEDI3 image doubling. Tried to delete the reg key but problem is still there.

Many thanks for your support.
kingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:46   #33080  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
SVP takes the frames from the decoder not the renderer so SVP only gets the interlaced stream.

and nvdia is using "double" FPS deinterlacing by default. the input for madVR is still 29.97 that's just how deinterlacing works 60 field in 29.97 frames.
That's why SVP with HW deinterlacing behaves correctly...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling