Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 22nd April 2010, 10:34   #12581  |  Link
liquidskin76

Hi,

I'm seeing a strange thing when using MPC's matroska splitter. When chapter seeking on mkv's (containing encoded h264 video), immediately after the seek the video speeds up for a few seconds, then goes back to normal playing speed.

It doesn't happen at every chapter point, however it is consistent at the chapters point that it's present at.

This problem isn't present if using haali. Basically i get it on any player when using MPC's matroska splitter.

Happens with software decoding and dxva.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

[EDIT: it's not present on sd h264 video]

[EDIT (Again!): haven't tested on original unencoded h264 however it's not present on unencoded vc1]

Last edited by liquidskin76; 22nd April 2010 at 10:47.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:37   #12582  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
No such problem here (all internal) but I have the same problem if I try to play a file which is in use at the same time by other app (µ) which it seems to be your case too ( or not )
Which could mean the leak is possibly in the splitter and not in the H264 decoder. An interesting test would be to see if the same problem occurs with a Matroska file that contains a different video format, for example MPEG-4.
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:55   #12583  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Which could mean the leak is possibly in the splitter and not in the H264 decoder. An interesting test would be to see if the same problem occurs with a Matroska file that contains a different video format, for example MPEG-4.
For me it happens with all type of big files which are in use at the same time by other app (= µ...) so it might not be the same problem
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:57   #12584  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
MSVC build of libavcodec
This is only used for debugging. MSVC can't compile release builds of ffmpeg.

Last edited by _xxl; 22nd April 2010 at 13:03.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:03   #12585  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
that proof is no longer valid and will have to be re-tested.
Please see ffdshow-tryouts thread.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:07   #12586  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
For me it happens with all type of big files which are in use at the same time by other app (= µ...) so it might not be the same problem
The splitters all share some base code, so the leak is probably in the code that handles the file reading and buffering.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:17   #12587  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
The splitters all share some base code, so the leak is probably in the code that handles the file reading and buffering.
I've done more testing with external splitter and external decoder but the result it's the same also I've forgot to mention that after exiting MPC-HC memory usage doesn't decrease !
Testing the same file with the same external splitter and decoder but with WMP doesn't produce an abnormal increase in memory usage and after exiting WMP the memory usage it's been restore to the previous value

Also playing the same file with WMP after exiting MPC-HC result in a decrease in memory usage

P.S. Disabling Windows caching of disk reads also solves this problem but this is not a solution

Last edited by Mercury_22; 22nd April 2010 at 16:20.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:43   #12588  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
I've done more testing with external splitter and external decoder but the result it's the same also I've forgot to mention that after exiting MPC-HC memory usage doesn't decrease !
Testing the same file with the same external splitter and decoder but with WMP doesn't produce an abnormal increase in memory usage and after exiting WMP the memory usage it's been restore to the previous value

Also playing the same file with WMP after exiting MPC-HC result in a decrease in memory usage

P.S. Disabling Windows caching of disk reads also solves this problem but this is not a solution
I had the same problem, it was a bug in my intel SATA driver.
i manually updated it from the last ini file intel released.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:58   #12589  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
I had the same problem, it was a bug in my intel SATA driver.
i manually updated it from the last ini file intel released.
I have the latest drivers too so no it's not the drivers also as I've said WMP has no problem

Also I've just done a test with tmt3 on the same conditions and surprise surprise... the memory usage it's increasing abnormal like in the MPC-HC case except that when TMT exits the memory usage it's decreasing to previous value
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:17   #12590  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
I have the latest drivers too so no it's not the drivers also as I've said WMP has no problem

Also I've just done a test with tmt3 on the same conditions and surprise surprise... the memory usage it's increasing abnormal like in the MPC-HC case except that when TMT exits the memory usage it's decreasing to previous value
its a leak in the system caching.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:42   #12591  |  Link
mariush

Run the cacheset.exe utility from SysInternals Suite I mentioned above and set the maximum system cache to some sane value. On my Windows 2008 dedicated server with 2 GB of ram, the system cache was set by default at 30 or 32GB. Obviously, those 2GB of memory were always used at the max screwing up my mysql server so I used that cacheset utility to lock the system cache at 1 GB.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:58   #12592  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Run the cacheset.exe utility from SysInternals Suite I mentioned above and set the maximum system cache to some sane value. On my Windows 2008 dedicated server with 2 GB of ram, the system cache was set by default at 30 or 32GB. Obviously, those 2GB of memory were always used at the max screwing up my mysql server so I used that cacheset utility to lock the system cache at 1 GB.
But why is this happening ONLY when the file is in use by other app (= µT) and it's NOT happening with WMP in the same conditions ?
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:11   #12593  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
No such problem here (all internal) but I have the same problem if I try to play a file which is in use at the same time by other app (µ) which it seems to be your case too ( or not )
Nothing else was using it.

Quote:
It seemed to happen with all video types that I tried (MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264) and MKV/M2TS. When I started using Haali Media Splitter (tried with M2TS), the issue went away, so it's definitely a splitter/file reader issue.

Also confirmed the issue on an entirely different set of hardware.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 22nd April 2010 at 18:20.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:50   #12594  |  Link
samab

It seems that the new .net 4 release --- at least for windows xp sp3 --- brings in new evr.dll and dxva2.dll files.
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:38   #12595  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
It seems that the new .net 4 release --- at least for windows xp sp3 --- brings in new evr.dll and dxva2.dll files.
By having quick look at the installer I found these dll's in netfx_Core.mzz archive but it says product version 6.0.6002.18084, and the ones in windows7 are 6.1.7600.16385. So they are from Vista? But who knows, maybe the last part is a revision number or something.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 23rd April 2010 at 01:40.
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:13   #12596  |  Link
Snowknight26

6.1 = NT version
7600 = Windows build
16385 = Windows revision

So that 6.0.xxxx one is a Vista dll.
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:20   #12597  |  Link
iron2000
Questioning User

MPCHC can't seem to write settings to ini when installed in Program Files with UAC turn on.
Maybe the developers can make the function request for privilege level elevation when MPCHC is in Program Files with UAC turn on?
(Just turn UAC back on yesterday, feels so restricted :P)

Or maybe default installers to install elsewhere?

Last edited by iron2000; 23rd April 2010 at 06:25.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:04   #12598  |  Link
namaiki

In my setup it seemed to put the ini file into the roaming/appdata/programdata folder. Forgot which..
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:19   #12599  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Nope i didn't. It's a clean Win7-64bit install from DVD (firefox is the only other app ... that clean). I use BitDefenter internet security 2010, and are still working with a 1950XT and Catalyst 10.2. Also used the DX web installer to get DX up to spec, also all updates and patches from windows-update are applied (ofcourse with a legit windows )

I just grabbed the installer version of MPC-HT 1788 from xvid-video.ru and installed that on this clean system.

one point of interest maybe: Windows 7 insists on numbering my secondary-display, my TV, as "1" and my main screen as "2". Have no idea how to reverse that order, and why windows does that for that matter. Maybe Windows chooses the main display based on which has the highest resolution ?
Second point of interest: User account control [UAC] is switched. on. It protects by limiting reading from and writing to registry, am i right ? It does pop up when i dont start up in vista compatilbillity mode. Might that be what's preventing MPC-HT to start up reguarly ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Same thing happened with my attempts to get madFlac running.

I installed it, tried to use it in MPC-HT. Didn't work, disabled other flac decoders, but still didn't get it running. The MPC-HT decoder was used instead with low merit.

Ended up uninstalling madflac :sad: Don't know to get my multichannel flacs running now

It's not straightforward to get Win 7-64 running as i was used to in XP. Guess i'll have to consider reverting to 32 bit also.

Maybe the MPC-HT flac decoder can be updated to multichannel ?
Well i did go back to 32 bit (same build 1788, only 32-bit version). And that one works flawlessly. There is no start-up-problem, and no need for "Vista SP1 compatilbillity" as i reported. madFlac works as intended.

Too bad 64 bit isnt equal to 32 bit yet.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:38   #12600  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, madFlac works just fine on my win7 x64 HTPC with MPC HC. Of course with the 32bit version of MPC HC.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc