Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 22nd August 2007, 22:27   #541  |  Link
bond

hi, afaik it is supported theoretically to embed fonts in mp4, but i dont think any tool supports its (at least i dont know one. if any supports it, than propably mp4box)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:22   #542  |  Link
Carlu

Hey guys. Im a newbie with subrip and this must be an answered question maybe but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, when I finish the first line of my subtitle I keep getting this error:
Instead of "justice" I get "jus tice". And every word with the letter "t" gets me the same error. How can I correct this?
Carlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:34   #543  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Russia, Moscow
Use post-ocr correction (around the same menu where you save the subtitles at the end) with English language. Or you could make a simple replacement in any text editor: " t"->"t".
Or you could try to tweak OCR machine settings to be less sensitive to intervals between characters. I'm not sure there is an option for such thing though...
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:42   #544  |  Link
Carlu

Thanks, I did what you said and the problem was solved. In "Advanced Ocr Setup" I increased the "Space Width Setup" and that was it. But I have a problem with the "l" and the "i". Instead of "i", the program thinks its a "l". Any sugestion to correct this?
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:56   #545  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Had the same issue. You could try to make OCR less tolerant to character differences (big slider in Advanced OCR setup, with a range of 0..1000).

By the way, here's an update for TTXT Tools - fixes a bug with string length, like <... text="blah-blah,''blah-lah'HH">. I'm not sure how MP4box reacts on such broken (two H after lineend) strings, but it couldn't be good.

http://lrn.no-ip.info/home/subrip/TT...2.1_src_bin.7z

Now, my next idea is to make a feature like "drop shadow". It is perfectly possible with TTXT - i could just double every sub-title with different color and slightly adjusted position and place them into different layer. It's only one thing that bothers me: should i include this functionality into SubRip, or make a new TTXT Tool for it. Or don't do it and just leave SubRip alone?
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:32   #546  |  Link
Carlu

Yeah.. I adjusted the bar to 1000 and still the "i" gets replaced by the "l".. I have no idea how to solve this problem and its very difficult to correct the entire subtitle with it because its difficult to find the wrong replacements! Is there something Im missing?
Old 24th August 2007, 00:27   #547  |  Link
prubin

After you rip all the subtitles to text, click on the "Use to Correct some Wrong Characters" button (green color) on the lower toolbar. Make sure you select the correct language, and select the "English Screwed" from the drop-down box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlu View Post
Yeah.. I adjusted the bar to 1000 and still the "i" gets replaced by the "l"..
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 01:47   #548  |  Link
GrofLuigi
Member of a Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlu View Post
Yeah.. I adjusted the bar to 1000 and still the "i" gets replaced by the "l".. I have no idea how to solve this problem and its very difficult to correct the entire subtitle with it because its difficult to find the wrong replacements! Is there something Im missing?
A computer isn't able to sort out the differences between capital i and lowercase l because they don't exist in many fonts - they are physically identical. That would require a complex knowledge of the language (English in this case). Because of that, many programs that deal with subtitles have this "post OCR correction". Look it up and try to use it in SubRip, Subtitle Workshop and others...

GL
GrofLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 13:00   #549  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Good solution is to use fonts like Arial for subtitle rendering, as they have identical (or almost identical) "I" and "l".
Old 14th September 2007, 23:23   #550  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

http://lrn.no-ip.info/home/subrip/Su...beta_4c_bin.7z - binaries
http://lrn.no-ip.info/home/subrip/Su..._4c_src_bin.7z - sources + binaries
http://lrn.no-ip.info/home/subrip/TT...0.3_src_bin.7z
Fixed major TTXT color bug. I wonder why noone reported it . This bug causes first text line to be custom (not DVD native) color (white by default) even if "use native DVD color" option is enabled.
Also i changed versionstr, now window title and about dialog shows proper "1.50 beta 4c" version string.
New TTXT Tools version features new tool - TTXT_resize. Allows you to change positioning info. If you resize original DVD image (you're making RIP with reduced resolution or it's just anamorthic and requires vertical resize), subtitle positions will not fit (i tried to RIP anamorphic video, and height change from 576 to 400 was enough for subtitles to disappear completely). Resizes horizontally and vertically by percentage. Could round floating point numbers up or down (down is default; maybe i'll change that later, for my first use of this tool i had to use up-rounding). Could resize textboxes or just move them (default). Resizing textboxes could cause some subtitles to be crop'ed if you didn't changed font size too (TTXT_resize does not changes font size; i thought about this feature though).
Fixed bug with escape sequences (sometimes some tools did not used escapes).
All TTXT tools now support '-' instead of filename to read/write from/to stdin/stdout. Pretty useless - i tried to write another tool for mass-processing (whould have use findfirst/next/close, spawnv and child process stdout redirect) and failed.

---EDIT @ 15.09.2007 10:31 GMT
Silently updated 4c archives (fixes another annoying glitch). Redownload them if you did so before now.

---EDIT @ 27.10.2007 19:18 GMT

Silently updated TTXT tools v0.3 archive, now compiled with /MT instead of /MD.

Last edited by LRN; 27th October 2007 at 19:19. Reason: updated
LRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 08:12   #551  |  Link
pcjco04

bug with default subtitle filename

Hi,

When saving a subtitle file, SubRip proposes a default name based on the name of VOB file and on the language (vts_01_0.English.srt for example).

But, when there are some non ANSI characters (UNICODE), the default name is always NewFile.srt.

Regards.
pcjco04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 18:17   #552  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

By the way, i think it would be good to remind you that current SubRip developer is ai4spam, and that ai4spam is busy, and will be busy indefinitely long. While i am just fixing all kind of mess i created by starting this "TTXT format export" feature in SubRip, and i will not touch anything else in SubRip.
Do not be afflicted if your feature requests/bug reports will not be satisfied for a...year? Two years?
Old 1st November 2007, 10:47   #553  |  Link
Teebeeke

Can anyone tell me why i have this weird looking chars with every sub i try ?
I never had this problem, but i formatted my pc and installed the latest subrip version.

Teebeeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 12:52   #554  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Looks like some sort of...i don't know...bug? I mean, subtitles are fine, and SubRip analyzes them fine (no corruption at that stage), but shows them wrong. And there's a strange corruption in top-left corner.
Try SubRip v1.50b4c. I can't give you any other counsel than that...
Old 1st November 2007, 13:10   #555  |  Link
Teebeeke

I got the old 1.40b3 from a backup dvd i had and there the subs are shown just fine.
Gonna download a previous version from current one later on.
Old 1st November 2007, 15:00   #556  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Have a look at here.
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 15:38   #557  |  Link
Teebeeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by roli_bark View Post
Turning OFF both "Use VOB's subtitle map" & "Use IDX's file offsets" worked !!!

But only after I erased the SubRip.ini file from SubRip home directory [alike starting from a scrath new install ]

Very strange .... but at least it works now !
Thanks 'ai4spam' !

Turning off both those options seems to work here also
Old 1st January 2008, 09:49   #558  |  Link
ericf

I have this problem:
the character matrix seems to make mistakes with n't.

This is what I get a lot of the time:
arert doesert hadrt hasrt strt wasrt won'th(worth).

I cannot find anything in the matix that would cause this. I keep deleting all characters involved but the problem keeps coming up.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

ericf
ericf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:16   #559  |  Link
gwaitsi

just tried 1.5 to do my first dvd conversion.

very cool man....

only thing i found. nero recode 3 does not like the .srt files from it.
not sure if it is a recode problem or subrip problem.

question, which is better and why .srt or .ttxt?

thanks
gwaitsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 13:39   #560  |  Link
LRN
TeMa=) team member

Nero Recode suxxors. At least Nero Recode 2. I don't know, maybe they fixed all bugs in 3rd version, but i doubt it.
SRT is a native SubRip subtitles format. It was developed along with initial SubRip versions, afaik. Thus when it comes to 'is this srt file of proper format?' you should look at SubRip's output - this is the real thing, not something Nero Recode thinks it should be. Well, there MAY be some kind of bug in 1.5 srt output, but not likely.
TTXT is an implementation (by GPAC project) of 3GPP Timed Text format. Or, to be precise, it is a temporary format that is used to feed Timed Text into MP4Box (part of GPAC toolset), where it is transformed to real (binary) Timed Text (as a side effect, you cannot demux Timed Text from mp4 - well, you can, but it will be in binary form, which is pretty useless at the moment).
It is possible to transform subtitles from TTXT to SRT (only theoretically, there is no tool for that afaik) and back (MP4Box does that), but SOME information that HAS to be stored in TTXT, cannot be stored in SRT and may only be obtained from DVD. Thus if you are going to mux subtitles into mp4 container via mp4box, you may consider using TTXT from the very beginning. It is not always simple - a few things may be necessary to be done with TTXT file after you rip subtitles into it, like time shift, textbox resize, split; i created a few tools for that, but they are buggy and lame. And TTXT subtitles support is not the most widespread feature around.
If you don't know anything about mp4 or mp4box, they you should stick to SRT.