Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2010, 20:31   #10281  |  Link
b66pak

WARNING...the new mkvtoolnix 4.1.0 "header removal compression" make impossible decoding/demuxing for eac3to from mkv...

Quote:
eac3to v3.22
command line: eac3to "mkvtoolnix.4.1.0.mkv" -demux
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1 subtitle track, 0:01:16, 24p /1.001
1: h264/AVC, 1280x536 23.975p (160:67)
2: DTS, 5.1 channels, 48kHz
3: Subtitle (SRT)
[v01] The video bitstream is encoded in a non-standard framerate. <WARNING>
[v01] The video bitstream framerate field doesn't match the container framerate. <WARNING>
Bitstream parsing for track 2 failed. <WARNING>
Demuxing this track may still produce correct results - or not. <WARNING>
[v01] Extracting video track number 1...
[a02] Extracting audio track number 2...
[a02] Creating file "mkvtoolnix.4.1.0 - 2 - DTS, 5.1 channels, 48kHz.dts"...
[v01] Creating file "mkvtoolnix.4.1.0 - 1 - h264, 1280x536 23.975p.h264"...
[s03] Extracting subtitle track number 3...
[s03] Creating file "mkvtoolnix.4.1.0 - 3 - Subtitle (SRT).srt"...
Video track 1 contains 1819 frames.
eac3to processing took 2 seconds.
Done.

eac3to v3.22
command line: eac3to "mkvtoolnix.4.1.0 - 2 - DTS, 5.1 channels, 48kHz.dts" mkvtoolnix.4.1.0.wav
The format of the source file could not be detected.
_

Last edited by b66pak; 1st July 2010 at 20:33.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:34   #10282  |  Link
dansrfe

Can anyone please post a simple and effective guide to getting Nero 7 to work with eac3to. I have the software and have bought it with the Nero Blu-ray / HD DVD plugin but I do not want to install it just for a few plugins. I prefer extracting/using only what is necessary for eac3to to utilize nero 7 for AC3 decoding. Another thing I do not understand about AC3 encoding with eac3to and libav is that why does it say "Reducing bit depth from 64bits to 24 bits" while processing?
Old 1st July 2010, 22:19   #10283  |  Link
XhmikosR

You can use Nero Lite/Micro. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...te#post1398214

If you want to experiment, you can manually find the needed files to get it to work.
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:43   #10284  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Can anyone please post a simple and effective guide to getting Nero 7 to work with eac3to. I have the software and have bought it with the Nero Blu-ray / HD DVD plugin but I do not want to install it just for a few plugins. I prefer extracting/using only what is necessary for eac3to to utilize nero 7 for AC3 decoding. Another thing I do not understand about AC3 encoding with eac3to and libav is that why does it say "Reducing bit depth from 64bits to 24 bits" while processing?
I wouldnt use NERO AC3/EAC3 Decoder
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...12#post1404212
Looks like DRC isnt disabled properly

Better use libav..works without Problems. And i dont think you hear big a Quality Difference generally between Nero and libavcodec on AC3/EAC3

"Reducing bit depth from 64bits to 24 bits" while processing means that the libanvcodec internal processing runs at 64Bit and eac3to reduces the output to 24bit. Its not a Problem ,its just the Process

Last edited by ACrowley; 2nd July 2010 at 09:47.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:36   #10285  |  Link
shogo_kawada

Hi, I tried to post these questions in the newbies forum but I wasn't lucky, so I'll try again here, which maybe would have been the right place to begin with.

I'm willing to rip my HD-DVDs to multi-audio MKVs. I have an AV-receiver which can decode HD-audio, and the files will be played on a Dune Base HD, which, AFAIK, CAN bitstream HD audio from MKVs, so I don't need any kind of encoding nor transcoding of the tracks. I just need to demux them. So here are my doubts:

1. About dialog normalization. Should I keep it or not? If not, why is it there (in the disc) in the first place? I'd like the MKVs to sound the closest to the actual disc playback I can get.

2. About delay. I read in a guide that eac3to doesn't fix delay when simply demuxing. Is that true? I tried some demuxing and the log said delay WAS removed. Did I do anything wrong or is it supposed to happen even with simple demux?

3. Just to be sure: to simple demux I just have to put *.eac3, *.dtshd, *.thd as name for the target track, am I right?

Ok, that's it, thanks for your help
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:51   #10286  |  Link
nibus
Telewhining

Can eac3to demux DTS Express audio tracks?
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:11   #10287  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogo_kawada View Post
1. About dialog normalization. Should I keep it or not? If not, why is it there (in the disc) in the first place? I'd like the MKVs to sound the closest to the actual disc playback I can get.
I'd keep it but this is just a matter of personal preference. It only affects the volume of the decoded audio.

Quote:
2. About delay. I read in a guide that eac3to doesn't fix delay when simply demuxing. Is that true? I tried some demuxing and the log said delay WAS removed. Did I do anything wrong or is it supposed to happen even with simple demux?
It will fix the delay for everything except for TrueHD tracks where the delay required will be added to the output filename.

Quote:
3. Just to be sure: to simple demux I just have to put *.eac3, *.dtshd, *.thd as name for the target track, am I right?
Yes, or you can just use the -demux switch.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:43   #10288  |  Link
mini-moose

24fps DTS to 23.976 DTS

sorry if this was discussed before but I can't find it.

I'm trying to convert a 24.000fps DTS to 23.976fps.

when using -slowdown eac3to assumes my source is 25.000 thus the slowdown is by 4% which is not what I'm aiming for.

I tried to define the fps of the DTS by creating a copy using the -24.000 switch. then ran the slowdown again and it still treated it as 25.000.

-changeto didn't seem to work either:

"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" C:\one.dts two.dts -changeTo24.000
Was asked to modify source to 24.000, but the original FPS value is unknown.
Please specify the original FPS value (e.g. option "-23.976").

"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" C:\one.dts two.dts -24.000 -changeTo24.000
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" C:\one.dts two.dts -24.000 -changeTo23.976
both got me a "Please specify the source and dest files first and then the options."

I guess I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully someone can help
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:36   #10289  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-moose View Post
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" C:\one.dts two.dts -24.000 -changeTo23.976
I can't see anything wrong with this. Does it work if you put quotes around the filenames?

Or how about two steps?
Code:
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" C:\one.dts two.wav -24.000 -changeTo23.976
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" two.wav two.dts
Which step fails?
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:01   #10290  |  Link
mini-moose

[QUOTE] TinTime
I can't see anything wrong with this. Does it work if you put quotes around the filenames?

Or how about two steps?
Code:

thanks. I will give it a try. but would that even do the slowdown I need if it works ? I figured I might have to "tag" the original dts somehow as 24fps so -slowdown will perform a slowdown from 24 tp 23.976 and from 25.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:02   #10291  |  Link
mini-moose

Quote:
TinTime:

Or how about two steps?
Code:

thanks. I will give it a try. but would that even do the slowdown I need if it works ? I figured I might have to "tag" the original dts somehow as 24fps so -slowdown will perform a slowdown from 24 tp 23.976 and from 25.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:11   #10292  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-moose View Post
.... but would that even do the slowdown I need if it works ? I figured I might have to "tag" the original dts somehow as 24fps so -slowdown will perform a slowdown from 24 tp 23.976 and from 25.
An audio file (dts, ac3, ...) don't have tags about the video fps, only have a duration. And aply a -24.000 -changeTo23.974 means only modify the duration with a coefficient of 1.001

With audio files -slowdown means modify the duration with a coefficient of (1001/960) always.

Use:
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "C:\one.dts" "C:\two.ac3" -24.000 -changeTo23.976
or
"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "C:\one.dts" "C:\two.wavs" -24.000 -changeTo23.976
and use a external dts encoder.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 2nd July 2010 at 19:18.
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:24   #10293  |  Link
shogo_kawada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
I'd keep it but this is just a matter of personal preference. It only affects the volume of the decoded audio.
Ok, that's what I was thinking too, but just for the sake of knowledge: is there a reason for dialog normalization to be there (in the disc) in the first place? Why do most of people remove it? Why do studios put it there?

Quote:
It will fix the delay for everything except for TrueHD tracks where the delay required will be added to the output filename.
Ok, I just tried to demux some DD+ tracks and indeed the delays were fixed, but the log informed me that a remaning delay of -8 ms couldn't be fixed. To fix the last unfixed gap, can I just add that exact delay in the track properties in MKVMerge?

Quote:
Yes, or you can just use the -demux switch.
It's surely much simpler this way since I can avoid the very long command line. Just a doubt: will the video track be handled properly this way? I read somewhere that it would be better to demux video tracks to mkv for eac3to to properly deal with framerate, pulldown flags, and stuff like this (which I actually don't really get, but still...).

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:40   #10294  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Ok, that's what I was thinking too, but just for the sake of knowledge: is there a reason for dialog normalization to be there (in the disc) in the first place? Why do most of people remove it? Why do studios put it there?
The reason it's there is to make all audio from different sources sound roughly the same volume. The problem is that it's not universally used. When you ask "why do studios put it there" it might be more reasonable to ask "why do some studios not use it".

Quote:
Ok, I just tried to demux some DD+ tracks and indeed the delays were fixed, but the log informed me that a remaning delay of -8 ms couldn't be fixed. To fix the last unfixed gap, can I just add that exact delay in the track properties in MKVMerge?
You can if you think you can hear an 8ms delay! Different audio types come with different frame sizes which are the minimum chunks you can edit with. EAC3 is (I think) the same as AC3 in that it has a 32ms frame size. So if the original audio is 40ms out of sync then the closest you can get to fixing the delay is to take 32ms off, leaving a delay of 8ms that can't be fixed.

Quote:
It's surely much simpler this way since I can avoid the very long command line. Just a doubt: will the video track be handled properly this way? I read somewhere that it would be better to demux video tracks to mkv for eac3to to properly deal with framerate, pulldown flags, and stuff like this (which I actually don't really get, but still...).
I've got a feeling that there used to be a problem with mkvmerge and raw AVC streams, or something like that, but there isn't any more. I always demux my video with eac3to and then mux it to mkv with mkvmerge and I don't have any problems though.
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:03   #10295  |  Link
shogo_kawada

Quote:
The reason it's there is to make all audio from different sources sound roughly the same volume. The problem is that it's not universally used. When you ask "why do studios put it there" it might be more reasonable to ask "why do some studios not use it".
Ok so it's something which DO have some reason to be there and for us to keep when demuxing. That's the answer I was looking for, -keepdialnorm it is!

Quote:
You can if you think you can hear an 8ms delay! Different audio types come with different frame sizes which are the minimum chunks you can edit with. EAC3 is (I think) the same as AC3 in that it has a 32ms frame size. So if the original audio is 40ms out of sync then the closest you can get to fixing the delay is to take 32ms off, leaving a delay of 8ms that can't be fixed.
Eheh you're right, I don't think I can hear an 8ms delay. BTW thanks again for the explanation, and if I get it right that means that I'll never end with a delay over 31 ms, which I think won't be an issue either.

Quote:
I've got a feeling that there used to be a problem with mkvmerge and raw AVC streams, or something like that, but there isn't any more. I always demux my video with eac3to and then mux it to mkv with mkvmerge and I don't have any problems though.
Ok, so I got nothing left to worry . It's time to start some conversion
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:38   #10296  |  Link
SomeJoe

Quote:
Eheh you're right, I don't think I can hear an 8ms delay. BTW thanks again for the explanation, and if I get it right that means that I'll never end with a delay over 31 ms, which I think won't be an issue either.
Actually, maximum possible unfixable offset is 16 msec because if the offset in one direction is over 16 msec, then remove/add one frame will give 32-(original offset) msec offset in the other direction.

So if audio is 20 msec behind video, then remove one audio frame and now audio is 12 msec ahead of video.
Old 4th July 2010, 09:47   #10297  |  Link
shogo_kawada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post
Actually, maximum possible unfixable offset is 16 msec because if the offset in one direction is over 16 msec, then remove/add one frame will give 32-(original offset) msec offset in the other direction.

So if audio is 20 msec behind video, then remove one audio frame and now audio is 12 msec ahead of video.
That's even better, awesome! Definetely no need to worry about the audio offset then.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:18   #10298  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
WARNING...the new mkvtoolnix 4.1.0 "header removal compression" make impossible decoding/demuxing for eac3to from mkv...

_
is this still a problem with eac3to (or for players)?
Old 4th July 2010, 12:53   #10299  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is this still a problem with eac3to (or for players)?
Is a problem for eac3to (at least DTS tracks, AC3 seems ok).

PC players tested without problems: mpc-hc(Haali), vlc and KMP

Standalone player tested without problems: Xtreamer

BTW, I don't know how can compress AC3 headers. There are different values in headers: CRC's, RF protection, DRC values, ...

Last edited by tebasuna51; 4th July 2010 at 13:20.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:02   #10300  |  Link
dbone1026

eac3to Not Locating All Playlists?

Madshi,

I have a Blu Ray disc of a tv show (Supernatural Season 1, Disc 1). The disc has the first 6 episodes of the tv show. When I run the disc through eac3to (using Clown_BD and/or Ripbot) eac3to only picks up 3 playlists (the 1st playlist is of all episodes, the 2nd playlist is of episode 1, and the 3rd playlist is of episode 2). Episode 3-6 don't show anywhere. If I use MakeMKV I can see all episodes listed out individually to select. Is there anything you can think of that would be causing this issue? I can just copy the individual episodes which are each m2ts files from the disc to my harddrive and then from there run through ripbot so no big deal, but thought it worth asking. Below is my eac3to log, let me know if I can provide anything else.

Code:
eac3to v3.22
command line: "C:\Program Files\Clown_BD_v0.76\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "F:" -progressnumbers -LOG="C:\Users\DAMIAN\Documents\Clown_BD\LOGS\eac3to_PASS1_LOG.LOG"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) 00100.mpls, 4:20:33
   [34+35+36+37+38+39].m2ts
   - Chapters, 41 chapters
   - VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
   - AC3, English, multi-channel, 48kHz
   - AC3, French, stereo, 48kHz
   - AC3, German, stereo, 48kHz
   - AC3, Spanish, stereo, 48kHz
   - AC3, Portuguese, stereo, 48kHz
   - AC3, Japanese, stereo, 48kHz
   - AC3, Japanese, stereo, 48kHz