Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2020, 13:20   #1021  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Yes but that's not how it behaved in past over here.
This is frustrating, I can't give you anything specific you could check out in the code.
As others have already said above, it depends on the file how far keyframes are apart. If you believe it is doing something wrong, then send me a file where it happens (and mention at which time).

Quote:
Also, a feature request: could you add an option to save image in the full resolution? I have some videos that are larger than my 1920x1200 monitor and if I take a screenshot, MPC saves it in the displayed size, not the original.
It correctly saves a the original size here. It may depend on the video renderer that is used. For example madVR has its own screenshot options.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 15:56   #1022  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Also, a feature request: could you add an option to save image in the full resolution? I have some videos that are larger than my 1920x1200 monitor and if I take a screenshot, MPC saves it in the displayed size, not the original.
Use the EVR-CP video renderer for example, not the EVR.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 19:31   #1023  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Or open the clip in a different tool which gives you better control, e.g. VirtualDub2.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 19:16   #1024  |  Link
Schwartz

Inputting a Twitch VOD URL to watch it with Youtube-DL has broken recently.

Using Youtube-DL in CLI will download the video just fine. But with MPC-HC it generates a playlist of hundreds of .ts files that are cycled through in quick succession, all marked "invalid".

Edit: Looking at MPC-HC Issues on Github, I am assuming all the M3U stuff will already fix this? If so, I hope we can get a new version soon!

Last edited by Schwartz; 18th August 2020 at 19:28.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 21:39   #1025  |  Link
clsid

That is already fixed in latest development build:
https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/tag/1.9.6.7
Old 21st August 2020, 22:50   #1026  |  Link
User X

I have been using MPC-HC for years without any problems. I am currently on its latest version, 1.9.7. And I use it combined with LAV Splitter and FFDShow (clsid) also its latest versions. I use nVIDIA GTX 650 Ti 2GB video card.

Always leave MPC-HC set to "Playback Ouput >>> DirectShow >>> System Default" because the image rendering looks smoother and more pleasant when I make image adjustments by FFDShow.

But I have noticed that since the nVIDIA 451.48 drivers, MPC-HC no longer works normally with "System Default". Now the video images look darker and too sharped than before, as if this were using "Enhanced Video Rendered (custom presenter)", now notice that this setting is the default. The problem with this is that my FFDSHOW presets of videos with my own settings now look really bad, because these were intended for "System Default", as this rendered before, and it is a real hell to have to recalibrate the color settings in each video again.
Is there any way to set MPC-HC to re-render "Playback Ouput >>> DirectShow >>> System Default" as it did before? Or is it a bug in the nVIDIA drivers?
It only happens with MPC-HC, the videos in the browser look normal, which I suspect may be the video player.
User X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2020, 00:23   #1027  |  Link
clsid

System Default does not mean what you think it means. It is not the recommended video renderer, nor is it the default setting of MPC-HC (default is EVR-CP). It is the default used by Windows for basic DirectShow applications. It equals the ancient "Video Mixing Renderer 7" which dates from Windows XP era. Basically it is one of the oldest and worst renderers available. It is default in Windows for backwards compatibility reasons only.

Your browser does not use DirectShow at all, so it doesn't use this old renderer. Windows Media Player uses "Enhanced Video Renderer".

But to answer the question. If it doesn't work if may be the fault of your driver. It is certainly not the fault of MPC-HC.

You should switch to EVR-CP. I also advice to get rid of ffdshow as it is totally outdated and unnecessary.
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:17   #1028  |  Link
User X

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
System Default does not mean what you think it means. It is not the recommended video renderer, nor is it the default setting of MPC-HC (default is EVR-CP). It is the default used by Windows for basic DirectShow applications. It equals the ancient "Video Mixing Renderer 7" which dates from Windows XP era. Basically it is one of the oldest and worst renderers available. It is default in Windows for backwards compatibility reasons only.

Your browser does not use DirectShow at all, so it doesn't use this old renderer. Windows Media Player uses "Enhanced Video Renderer".

But to answer the question. If it doesn't work if may be the fault of your driver. It is certainly not the fault of MPC-HC.

You should switch to EVR-CP. I also advice to get rid of ffdshow as it is totally outdated and unnecessary.
Certainly, it may be the driver, since until v446.14 it worked perfectly.

OK. I will abandon FFDShow, but you have to recommend me an equally advanced set of filters that have: Posprocessing to clean macroblocks, Picture Properties for color control, Levels to contrast control, Blur & NR to clean image, Sharpen (with unsharp mask, asharp and swscaler ), Warpsharp, and Resize & Aspect with all its advanced settings, as has FFDShow. All managed by presets that know how to identify video conditions to auto-set presets.
FDDSHOW will be old, but I have not seen in image quality control something so good with this. It even has audio quality control. It is too good and efficient to abandon this. It gave me optimal results.
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:41   #1029  |  Link
clsid

Color controls:
Options > Miscellaneous
Sharpen:
Menu > Play > Shaders > LumaSharpen or Sharpen Complex 2

Resizing is done automatically by the video renderer. Doing it with ffdshow is pointless and can reduce quality. Aspect ratio can be modified in MPC-HC menu.
Old 22nd August 2020, 02:09   #1030  |  Link
adipose

There are bunch of shaders in DX9 and DX11 supported. If none of those are enough, you could write your own, too. If it added some valuable functionality it could be included in a future release, possibly.
adipose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2020, 03:17   #1031  |  Link
User X

Quote:
Color controls:
Options > Miscellaneous
Sharpen:
Menu > Play > Shaders > LumaSharpen or Sharpen Complex 2

Resizing is done automatically by the video renderer. Doing it with ffdshow is pointless and can reduce quality. Aspect ratio can be modified in MPC-HC menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adipose View Post
There are bunch of shaders in DX9 and DX11 supported. If none of those are enough, you could write your own, too. If it added some valuable functionality it could be included in a future release, possibly.
These are good basic filters to muddle through, but not for someone who is a purist refining image details and creating presets for each video or each video condition. And from what I'm seeing, I will not achieve 25% with this than with FFDShow.
FFDShow still has much better filters and allows advanced control ... in fact it's amazing.
Automatic resizing alters the sharpen balance in the videos, I never allow the window to do that automatically, it destroys the balance I achieve.
Anyway, I'll keep using FFDShow until one day it stops working ... I see that everything tends to be more basic nowadays. A shame. It was a great idea.
Old 24th August 2020, 16:06   #1032  |  Link
el Filou

If you want good video post-processing, may I suggest madVR?
It has a lot of filter options, and a GPU is much more optimized for that kind of thing than a CPU ever will be. The only thing I wish it could do is dynamically adapt the strength of some filters depending on the source quality (based on codec + bits/pixel), but you'd need close integration with the source decoder for that.
I don't know what software to replace FFDShow for audio though.
Old 25th August 2020, 02:19   #1033  |  Link
Arilando

How do you view what playback speed you have currently set it to?
Arilando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 02:38   #1034  |  Link
huhn

view -> statistics have to be checked.

in the statistic you can now see the frame rate in the () is the current playback speed
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 17:16   #1035  |  Link
PCU

how to use mpc video renderer for realmedia & quicktime?
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 18:52   #1036  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
By using DirectShow instead of those ancient deprecated frameworks (Options > Player > Formats).
The 64-bit version of MPC-HC already always uses DirectShow for such files, since those old frameworks are 32-bit only.
Old 26th August 2020, 18:55   #1037  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
I don't recommend using QuickTime and RealMedia frameworks in DirectShow players. These frameworks perform very poorly.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 19:16   #1038  |  Link
PCU

Quote:
By using DirectShow instead of those ancient deprecated frameworks (Options > Player > Formats).
The 64-bit version of MPC-HC already always uses DirectShow for such files, since those old frameworks are 32-bit only.
why these old FWs are still available in latest x64 version of mpc-hc?
Old 26th August 2020, 23:05   #1039  |  Link
clsid

They aren't available in x64. Only the options are still visible because GUI is identical for x86 and x64 version. But they do not have any effect. I plan to remove the options and frameworks completely in an upcoming version.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:27   #1040  |  Link
PCU

i wish mpc video renderer was built-it, so i don't need to download & update it separately.

Last edited by PCU; 27th August 2020 at 13:55.