Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Today, 04:53   #48601  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
You mean after every driver update you have to re-do the custom refresh rate optimisation, and it's not guaranteed the results will be as good as earlier? There isn't a way to save the custom refresh rates settings before updating the drivers and restore them afterwards?
No I had to get a replacement 1060 and lost my custom res in between. Not sure about between driver updates tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
If you are on nVidia, please can you provide a step by step regarding using CRU to create a custom profile for 1080p23FP that would work with MadVR? I tried and wasn't able to.
It wasn't hard. I set the driver to 1080/60 and loaded j River mc. Brought up the madvr settings and edited the 1080/23 custom res. I found the setting I figured would work, hit test, and then ran a video in that res after hitting optimize. I let it run for 20 to 30 minutes and hit optimize again and custom res was created. But it hasn't fixed 3d. I need to play with it more when I get back next weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old Today, 06:56   #48602  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Maybe it would be interesting to have an option like "apply post-processing after scaling when downscaling" in the 'trade quality for performance' section for cases like this. (@madshi ?)
Indeed, this is a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It seems to me that unfortunately madVR is very slow in general with Polaris 11/21.
You mean polaris is slow in general with madVR..
Honestly just grab an Nvidia card and never look back :P

Last edited by ryrynz; Today at 11:04.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52   #48603  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
It wasn't hard. I set the driver to 1080/60 and loaded j River mc. Brought up the madvr settings and edited the 1080/23 custom res. I found the setting I figured would work, hit test, and then ran a video in that res after hitting optimize. I let it run for 20 to 30 minutes and hit optimize again and custom res was created. But it hasn't fixed 3d. I need to play with it more when I get back next weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes, that's why I was asking specifically about 1080p23FP (frame packed, that means 3D). 1080p23 is easy to fix if you're interested, but I play everything (except 3D) in 4K23p, so I have no need for an optimized 1080p23p. I have an optimized 4K23p that works fine (one frame drop every hour, which is not perfect but acceptable).

MadVR can't handle 1080p23pFP specifically, and using CRU doesn't work either (well at least I couldn't find a way to get it to optimise and save the results for a 1080p23FP resolution). The main issue is that the frame rate is 24.00, not 23.976 by default, but I didn't find a way to change that and save it. I can edit, but the changes are not saved and I'm back to default when I check again.

I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you had found a way using CRU (not MadVR's but nVidia's CP custom res utility) to get 1080p23FP to better than 1 frame drop every hour, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Denon X7200WA to JVC RS500/X7000

Last edited by Manni; Today at 10:56.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:08   #48604  |  Link
ryrynz

Posting this again, i tried the custom modes thing but it seems complicated, time consuming and didn't yield me any results, I gave up on it. This is simple and works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Try this: in nv control panel create a custom resolution. Then use this options:

just lower the last vertical pixel counter 1. In this case it would be 1124. Save it and try running a 23,976 movie. It leads to 1 frame drop every 3-4 hours on my machine with my old 970, 960 and new 1060.
Old Today, 11:22   #48605  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Indeed, this is a good option.

You mean polaris is slow in general with madVR..
Honestly just grab an Nvidia card and never look back :P
I agree, if you dont want to use 3D NVIDIA should be your only choice, however 3D is still problematic with NVIDIA and I think perhaps always will be, ATI's 3D implementation has always been better.

I think the best I could get with my NVIDIA card was 11 minutes after a day of fiddling, with standard CRU in MADVR I was getting repeats every 4 mins.

If this gets fixed I may switch to my 1050 but it might not be much better anyway.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:24   #48606  |  Link
ryrynz

Wouldn't the above work for 3D?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling