Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2006, 17:20   #1  |  Link
Ice =A=

How to display videos fluently? (e.g. 25 fps movies on a 60Hz TFT)

Usually a video with e.g. 25 fps will result in jerky playback on a TFT monitor with 60 Hz refreshrate (or any monitor with a refreshrate which is no integer multiple of the framerate).
I do know "Trimension", which is a standard to compute new images in between the normal ones to make playback more fluent and smooth, but unfortunately it's only been implemented in WinDVD7 and there it works only with MPEG2 and not very reliant...

Anyway, you should try a very impressive demo here (just download and execute):
http://www.trimensiontech.info/bin/T...ionDNMdemo.exe
(Edit: It's not actually the real thing, but it shows what Trimension is capable of and how much video quality can be improved. You can test Trimension with WinDVD7 trial and some MPEG2 videos however...)

I'd like to know if there is any other program available, which has a similar effekt?!
Thanks!

Last edited by Ice =A=; 14th June 2006 at 19:11.
Ice =A= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 17:39   #2  |  Link

The demo is a bit of a cheat. They have the whole frame panning, which means I could easily interpolate the frames just by shifting the whole frame horizontally. They need to show some real material, with just objects moving.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 17:41   #3  |  Link
sysKin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice =A=
Anyway, you should try a very impressive demo here (just download and execute):
http://www.trimensiontech.info/bin/T...ionDNMdemo.exe
That's not a demo of Trimension, it's one picture scrolling at 60fps and another picture scrolling at 25.

[edit] Beaten!
Old 14th June 2006, 17:52   #4  |  Link
Ice =A=

True, but on the same page you can download real MPGs (that same video actually), and I tested it with WinDVD.
Believe me (or test it for yourselfes), it looks just like the "demo" and is very impressive indeed! (I could be wrong, but to me it looks even a little better.)
I just postet that demo link because I thought you would like to see what I meant as fast as possible instead of downloading a 40+MB WinDVD trial and some video files.

[edit] Beaten!

Last edited by Ice =A=; 14th June 2006 at 19:10.
Old 18th June 2006, 06:09   #5  |  Link
darkavatar1470

Well.... I suggest making sure a screen can support higher refresh rates before you buy em....but I know its hard to find on high rez & notebook displays.......
darkavatar1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 12:26   #6  |  Link
Ice =A=

That's a good idea, but I don't know a single TFT display which can go to higher refreshrates then 70Hz, and 75Hz would be good for 25fps PAL standard.
I also don't know if you can sync the video to your monitor refresh rate that easyly (after all the fps often are no easy to handle integer numers)...

I tried recently to lower the refresh rate to 50 Hz, but with the normal nVidia drivers and my monitor I didn't find a way to do this...
Old 18th June 2006, 12:33   #7  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

even the cheapo TFT I got for my dad's computer supports 75Hz easily. So that's the refreshrate I set it to

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote