Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 29th May 2019, 14:48   #1  |  Link
nacho

Deinterlacing, cleaning and uspscaling "Skyland": PAL DVD (25i, 720x576i, anamorphic)

Hello I'm a newbie here and I've recently bought a DVD of an animated show I watched as a kid. I've been reading around these forums and learning about avisynth/vapoursynth and different filters in the hopes to do an attempted HD 1080p restore/upscale of the show for viewing on a PC. I have settled on using vapoursynth over avisynth because of its speed and vseditor.

I'll upload a clip so you can have a look at the source as I have some questions. (https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...M5?usp=sharing)

Step 1: Deinterlacing
As far as I can tell the source is pure 25i (almost every frame with motion seems interlaced/combed) so I think I need to deinterlace + srestore(). If I am wrong and I should be IVTC please let me know. So I am currently just doing:
Code:
video = haf.QTGMC(video, Preset='Very Slow',TFF=True)
video = haf.srestore(video)
Is there anything I could tweak here to get better results?

There is also artifacts similar to here:https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164009
Except in my case the "ghosting" is of the previous frame:

Could someone explain what this is? And if there's any way to remove or minimise this effect?

Step 2: Denoising, sharpening, upscaling
I have been reading about upscaling filters and it seems the best way currently is with nnedi3. Waifu2x is similar but much slower. I've also read you can use eedi3 and a combination of eedi3 with nnedi 3. Although I'm not too sure on how to use either eedi3 or eedi3+nnedi3 together. All I have for upscaling atm is:
Code:
video = core.nnedi3cl.NNEDI3CL(video, field=1, dh=True, dw=True, nsize=0, nns=3)
Could someone explain how I could use eedi3+nnedi3 together or eedi3 on its own to do a 2x upscale?

Finally I am unsure about the order of sharpening, denoising and upscaling. What would give the best results do you think? And which denoisers/sharpeners. I have read about SMDegrain, KNLMeansCL, LSFMod and awarpsharp2. Should I pick 1 sharpener and 1 denoiser from that list?

That's all for now. I know there's been lots of "PLS make my ANIME LOOK HD and AMAZING" on this forum and VH and I hope this post is a bit better than those. I am really excited by everything that is possible with filters and vapoursynth/avisynth and it all seems like magic to me . Also the 5 day wait to post is very good - it made me read up and learn lots and try lots for myself before posting and asking so good job. I love this forum already.

Thanks, nacho.

Last edited by nacho; 9th June 2020 at 13:36.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 02:06   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Ouch, can you find a 23.976 version (e.g. Region 1)? Your's has been damaged by a terrible conversion to 25 fps.

Those artifacts are in the source. I don't think they have a name beyond field blending artifacts. Fixing them is beyond me but not everyone here. Any fully automated technique will not be perfect, it will miss some of these blends and/or be unable to find/create good frames for every frame.

I used this script:
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Tools\dgdecnv2053\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("D:\Encode\VTS_05_1_clip.demuxed.dgi")
SeparateFields()
It is not just blending with the previous frame, there are long sequences of various blending patterns. Here are some raw fields starting at field 377 of the above script:

I also do not think this source would benefit from upscaling and sharpening. It would greatly benefit from an advanced deinterlace+deblend though. I would simply convert it to x264 at a pretty high bitrate and then use madVR to do all upscaling during playback. This actually offers higher quality because you can use a lot more bits/pixels during the encode and you only need to do one upscaling step.

If you are not playing back on a HTPC then upscaling makes more sense but I would still work on fixing the field blending before worrying about upscaling.
Old 1st June 2019, 23:54   #3  |  Link
nacho

That's disappointing to hear I was aware the was blending issues with the source but didn't realise it was so bad. Hopefully I can find some way to do a better job... Maybe I should post a thread specifically about deblending in the avisynth or vapoursynth forum?
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 00:22   #4  |  Link
Asmodian

There are a lot of topics on this subject there already so it would be at home. Many experts on the topic to help too.

Sorry, I am not one of them.