Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th May 2018, 18:52   #51061  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Wow, that's great news, thanks!

I hope they'll solve the levels issue at the same time, that's the main problem with the latest drivers.

And good luck with your commercial work
What levels issue do you have? I'm on last drivers and didn't notice anything!
GPU 0-255, madVR and TV 16-235
Old 30th May 2018, 19:08   #51062  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Just a short comment while still having piles of commercial work on my desk:

Thanks to my great Nvidia driver contact, I managed to get a fix for 1080p23 timings into newer driver versions. So stock 1080p23 timings should be much better now with newer drivers, probably also for 3D. I know, the newest drivers come with their own problems, so many are still using older driver versions. But JFYI...

dunno, if that makes a difference, but i allmost never had a problem with the NVidia drivers..
BUT, i also DONT use teh GeForce drivers, i do use Quadro drivers that i modd beforehand to install it on my gtx670.
Maybe worth a try for the ones having problems..
I do feel, that the quadro drivers are more stable and have less Bugs/Problems..

Greetings..
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 20:17   #51063  |  Link
madjock

Well, out of a pure fluke and messing about for a long time, then giving up when I had at best 38 Mins frame repeats which was livable...

I came across this post on a random Google search...

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel
2. Change the Resolution to 23 HZ (I left this one at 24hz and it made no difference)
3. Create Custom Resolution With Following Settings:

Horizontal Pixels: 1920

Vertical Lines: 1080

Refresh Rate: 23

Timing:

Standard: Manual

Horizontal:

Active Pixels: 1920

Front Porch(pixels): 638

Sync width(pixels): 44

Total Pixels: 2750

Polarity: Positive

Vertical:

Active Pixels: 1080

Front Porch(pixels): 4

Sync width(pixels): 5

Total Pixels: 1124

Polarity: Positive

Hz: 23.976

I'm using a 1050 and 390.77 drivers, and I am now getting 8 hrs + without a frame repeat on 1080p, and 2160p->1080p.

I never did get the MadVR ones to work, well any better than the Nvidia, and CRU and the likes were a pain for me for some reason.

It takes a minute and actually sits at 23.9755 ish, and the deviation locks out at 0.00230% or something like that and all good.

Sorted.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 20:58   #51064  |  Link
Polopretress

It is the standard setting except -1 in total pixel vertical (means -1 in vertical back porch) ==> you are just lucky.
Just for information, you do not have to focus on the time displayed for the first frame drop/repeat occurs if you have a deviation clock of this value. just focus on the value of "display" because the value of the time counter is wrong.

For having deviation clock at this value, you probably use MPC-be (or equivalent).
Potplayer is not creating clock deviation (will trend to 0.00000% after few seconds) and in this situation the value of time counter (1 frame repeat/drop every is correct and consistent with the value of "display" indicator.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 21:08   #51065  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
It is the standard setting except -1 in total pixel vertical (means -1 in vertical back porch) ==> you are just lucky.
Just for information, you do not have to focus on the time displayed for the first frame drop/repeat occurs if you have a deviation clock of this value. just focus on the value of "display" because the value of the time counter is wrong.

For having deviation clock at this value, you probably use MPC-be (or equivalent).
Potplayer is not creating clock deviation (will trend to 0.00000% after few seconds) and in this situation the value of time counter (1 frame repeat/drop every is correct and consistent with the value of "display" indicator.
I don't think Im lucky, I have messed with the odd pixel here and there and never achieved anything like this, there were also a few people on the thread that got good results with it, a bit like the MadVR customs that I had no joy with.

I am using MPC-HC and KODI and Dsplayer, KODI gives even better results.

I also assume you are not Bitstreaming DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI to get 0.000000% and POT player uses some sort of re-clock, which is no use to people who want to Bitstream.
Old 30th May 2018, 21:10   #51066  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Clock deviation makes no real difference. madVR accounts for it when calculating the repeat/drop timer, you just need to play long enough for it to stabilize, and the ultimate test is for every setup to just play a 2 hour movie and check the stats afterwards (clear them after launch to get rid of the first drops during startup).
Old 30th May 2018, 21:16   #51067  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Clock deviation makes no real difference. madVR accounts for it when calculating the repeat/drop timer, you just need to play long enough for it to stabilize, and the ultimate test is for every setup to just play a 2 hour movie and check the stats afterwards (clear them after launch to get rid of the first drops during startup).

I agree, but previous to this and after attempting lots and lots of custom resolutions, changing the odd pixel, using manual after setting different timings, I would get something like 23.9756-ish sat steady-ish and at best 38 Mins per frame drop.

Now with these figures I have applied, it is lower that 23.9756, yet the frame repeats have gone to the hours, at best they used to reach an hr and drop back and stabilize at 36-38 mins.

I think its as good as I am going to get for sure.

Last edited by madjock; 30th May 2018 at 21:22.
Old 30th May 2018, 21:22   #51068  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
What levels issue do you have? I'm on last drivers and didn't notice anything!
GPU 0-255, madVR and TV 16-235
I also use RGB Full, MadVR and TV 16-235, but this doesn't work for me with 391.x. That and the other issues I reported a while back (broken Asio4all compatibility and a few other things).

It could be specific to my JVC display but the levels are completely borked for me with 391.x

Borked as in it's not possible to find a combination of settings that results in the correct levels both in SDR and in HDR.

I tried to set all GPU/MadVR/Display to 0-255 and a few other combos, it's just a no go. Levels simply don't match, blacks are either crushed or raised, there is no combo that gives me black at 16 in SDR and 64 in HDR.

I know many don't have this levels issue, and I'm happy for them
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 21:33   #51069  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:
I also use RGB Full, MadVR and TV 16-235, but this doesn't work for me with 391.x. That and the other issues I reported a while back (broken Asio4all compatibility and a few other things).
Latest driver version is 397.93, maybe you get lucky.
Try clean install using DDU.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2018, 22:02   #51070  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Latest driver version is 397.93, maybe you get lucky.
Try clean install using DDU.

Cheers
Yeah, that's what I do with every single new driver, before reverting to 385.28.

I did see the 397.93 and want to test it in case the refresh rate for 3D is fixed. Didn't have the time yet...
Old 30th May 2018, 22:47   #51071  |  Link
madjock

@Manni

Just been reading this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...jector-24.html

Lots of good information, but if anyone asked about anything other than projectors they were told to use the correct thread.

I have not seen a lot of information on using the HDR->SDR options for a standard 1080p HDTV and doing 2160p->1080p.

I don't have fancy calibration equipment and the likes but from all the things you have learned with all the discussion, what would you class as a good standard for HDR->SDR with the latest MadVR, as the more I read the more it seemed to jump between person to person, which I get, but it does seem to be a grey area.

I guess I am also a little confused by HDR->SDR conversion, as although I get the comparisons with SDR, is that what everyone aims at, would we not hope to get it looking better than SDR if thats possible on a non SDR set ?
Old 30th May 2018, 23:04   #51072  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Just a short comment while still having piles of commercial work on my desk:

Thanks to my great Nvidia driver contact, I managed to get a fix for 1080p23 timings into newer driver versions. So stock 1080p23 timings should be much better now with newer drivers, probably also for 3D. I know, the newest drivers come with their own problems, so many are still using older driver versions. But JFYI...
Just tested 397.93, and I have good news and bad news:

Good news is that your friend delivered (partly) in 1080p23 for 3D (I didn't test 2D). I now get 13min between frame drops, which is a significant improvement compared to the 3min of previous drivers (at least those I had tested).

Bad news is that the levels are still borked (both in SDR and HDR), however I found why I have the issue and many others don't: the levels are only borked in 12bits, not in 8bits. So it looks like between the banding in passthrough and the borked levels, nVidia shows little love for their 12bits setting.

You would think that the solution is easy: use 8bits in the GPU... Well, that works fine for 2D and 3D SDR, unfortunately Passthrough HDR is borked in 8bits on the JVCs (not in 12bits!) and you get at all refresh rates (at least in UHD) the magenta bug that I only have on 4K60p with previous drivers. The only way to get rid of it is, like with the 4K60 magenta bug, is to disable the "send HDR metadata", which as you know is a no no for me until we get the ability to switch HDR profiles according to max brightness with pixel shader, as the Vertex relies on this to select my custom curve. It is, however, a viable workaround for those whose display doesn't need HDR Metadata.

So pick your poison:

385.28: everything works but 1 frame drop every 3mn in 3D.

397.93: better 3D (13min between frame drops), Asio4all compatibility still broken, levels still borked in 12bits (at least with the JVCs), HDR passthrough borked on JVCs in 8bits.

Aaaargh!

Thanks a lot for your efforts and your friends though, but I'm back to 385.28 if I don't find a way to get rid of the magenta bug in 8bits, at least until I can switch to pixel shader.

397.93 is probably 100% good news for non JVC users who don't care about Asio4All.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
@Manni
I have not seen a lot of information on using the HDR->SDR options for a standard 1080p HDTV and doing 2160p->1080p.

I don't have fancy calibration equipment and the likes but from all the things you have learned with all the discussion, what would you class as a good standard for HDR->SDR with the latest MadVR, as the more I read the more it seemed to jump between person to person, which I get, but it does seem to be a grey area.
I'll let others reply. The AVS thread is indeed reserved to ongoing work on MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion with pixel shader for projectors, and it's not a support thread for MadVR projector users either, at least not at this stage, as it's a work in progress. HDR10 is a grey area because there is no standard and every display is different. HDR to SDR, when done well, is the same as HDR. It's just that the source (MadVR here) does the conversion instead of the display. But provided you use the correct settings, it can look as good or better than the HDR mode on the display.

So I suggest you post your display model and hope that someone can make suggestions for you.

Last edited by Manni; 31st May 2018 at 10:38.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:11   #51073  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Just tested 397.93, and I have good news and bad news:

Good news is that your friend delivered (partly) in 1080p23 for 3D (I didn't test 2D). I now get 13min between frame drops, which is a significant improvement compared to the 3-5min of previous drivers (at least those I had tested).

Bad news is that the levels are still borked, however I found why I have the issue and many others don't: the levels are only borked in 12bits, not in 8bits. So it looks like between the banding in passthrough and the borked levels, nVidia shows little love for their 12bits setting.

You would think that the solution is easy: use 8bits in the GPU... Well, That works fine for 2D and 3D SDR, unfortunately HDR is borked in 8bits on the JVCs and you get at all refresh rates (at least in UHD) the magenta bug that I only have on 4K60p with previous drivers. The only way to get rid of it is, like with the 4K60 magenta bug, is to disable the "send HDR metadata", which as you know is a no no for me until we get the ability to switch HDR profiles according to max brightness with pixel shader, as the Vertex relies on this to select my custom curve. It is, however, a viable workaround for those whose display doesn't need HDR Metadata.

So pick your poison:

385.28: everything works but 1 frame drop every 3-5min in 3D.

397.93: better 3D (13min between frame drops), Asio4all compatibility still broken, levels borked in 12bits, HDR borked on JVCs in 8bits.

Aaaargh!

Thanks a lot for your efforts and your friends though, but I'm back to 385.28 if I don't find a way to get rid of the magenta bug in 8bits, at least until I can switch to pixel shader.

I'll let others reply. The AVS thread is indeed reserved to ongoing work on MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion with pixel shader for projectors, and it's not a support thread for MadVR projector users either, at least not at this stage, as it's a work in progress. HDR10 is a grey area because there is no standard and every display is different.

So I suggest you post your display model and hope that someone can make suggestions for you.
Ok no problem. I understand all that you have said but as you say there are so many TV models then the chances may be slim, also with some people doing calibrations and other using a default built into MadVR this also muddys the water.

Was just looking for a middle of the road default that applys to most things as the thread was suggesting, but like most I guess it boils down to what people like or don't like.

Thanks for replying anyway.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:32   #51074  |  Link
theDongerr

Is it safe to install the Windows 10 Spring update? Or did it do something to mess up MadVr?
theDongerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 00:03   #51075  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I agree but not in the conclusion.
Clock deviation is tacken into account in the calculation but the result will not be "no drop frame expected" when the display will be at 23.97602 Hz if clock deviation is not null.

That means that , with clock deviation, you if you want to target "no drop frame expected", you will not be at 23.97602.
(or if you want to target 23.97602, you will not be at "no drop frame expected")

And let's try the both players (MPC and potplayer) in pcm with the same settings and you wil see that "display" is at the same value and the tilme counter is different

So which player is giving me the truth ?
For me , it is clear that the value of the "display" is the truth because the both players give the same result.
Then my conclusion is that it is the time counter that is wrong using MPC-BE with clock deviation not null.

That's the reason why, i said, the judge is the value of the "display" and not the time counter if clock deviation is not null.
then i think that clock deviation is more tacken into account in the value of the "display" than in the value of the time counter.

If i am wrong , do you mean that i need to follow the time counter instead of the "display" ?
If it is the case, how to explain that value of "display" are the same with a player with no clock deviation and another one with clock deviation not null ?

Quote:
I also assume you are not Bitstreaming DTS-HD or TrueHD via HDMI to get 0.000000% and POT player uses some sort of re-clock, which is no use to people who want to Bitstream.
Exact i am in pcm.
Potplayer in bitstream works fine but clock deviation is not null (like mpc-be).
Nervertheless... the value of "display" is the same and perfectly adjusted to 23.97602 (but the time counter is different and very far from "no drop frame expected".

Same question that previously. Which one is the truth ?
For me it is the "display" and not the counter.

Show me an example with a display at 23.97602 and the counter at "no drop frame expected" while the clock deviation is not null and i will revise my judgement

Last edited by Polopretress; 31st May 2018 at 00:15.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 00:15   #51076  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
I agree but not in the conclusion.
Clock deviation is tacken into account in the calculation but the result will not be "no drop frame expected" when the display will be at 23.97602 Hz if clock deviation is not null.

That means that , with clock deviation, you if you want to target "no drop frame expected", you will not be at 23.97602.
(or if you want to target 23.97602, you will not be at "no drop frame expected")
But thats perfectly fine. The goal is to not have any frame drops or repeats, not to hit some special magical number. Its perfectly expected to require a slightly different refresh rate to compensate for the clock deviation.

The perfect refresh rate would be where the display refresh rate multiplied by the clock deviation would be 23.97602 (without software tricks enabled), so for example if you have a small clock deviation of 0.003, you would want a refresh rate of 23.9767 instead (because 23.9760 + 0.003% = 23.9767)

And as others have said, in PCM mode PotPlayer just "cheats" by modifying the audio to perfectly match the video clock, ie. like ReClock. You could get it to match any refresh rate then. But it does modify the audio, so its no longer "bit-exact". Its probably not something anyone can hear and it usually works just fine, but you need to be aware that your software works around the hardware problem in this manner. The clock deviation does not go away, its just "hidden" from madVR and compensated for on the audio side instead. And of course this does not work when bitstreaming.

The entire drop/repeat frame mechanic only exists because of audio. If we had no audio, we could just show the video at 23.977 instead of 23.976 and no person in the world would ever notice. But we do have audio, and the audio would lose sync with the video. So to maintain sync, the video renderer has to drop/repeat a frame when appropriate. Now the alternative solution is to change the audio instead, which is what PotPlayer is doing, and why its claiming a zero clock deviation - because it handles that, and madVR does not have to.

The only number that really matters is the number of dropped/repeated frames at the end of the movie. Everything else is just there as information.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 31st May 2018 at 00:46.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 00:35   #51077  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
HDR to SDR, when done well, is the same as HDR. It's just that the source (MadVR here) does the conversion instead of the display.
If that really was the case then why would TV reviewers who test stuff like 2% window white find very different brightness levels in SDR and HDR modes (last two that come to mind were 400 cd/mē SDR / 700 HDR on an LG OLED, and 750 SDR / 1250 HDR on a Sony LCD)?
Old 31st May 2018, 01:03   #51078  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If that really was the case then why would TV reviewers who test stuff like 2% window white find very different brightness levels in SDR and HDR modes (last two that come to mind were 400 cd/mē SDR / 700 HDR on an LG OLED, and 750 SDR / 1250 HDR on a Sony LCD)?
Is this with MadVR?

Some players do an HDR to SDR conversion that doesn't exploit the whole dynamic range. Others don't even use the wider gamut.

I'm talking about pixel shader with MadVR, given that it's the topic of the thread. I don't know about OLEDs/LCDs, I can only comment about what I see on my JVC projector. Some displays might not be able to provide the SDR BT2020 mode with full brightness that the JVC delivers to be used as a baseline for MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion (pixel shader).
Old 31st May 2018, 01:34   #51079  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, your projector probably does not have a seperate HDR mode in the same way TVs do. All non-projectors I have seen (not that many) do not work this way. You cannot use pixel shaders to get a similar image when the display is in its SDR mode. For one thing it will not go as bright, reasonably given that SDR at 700 nits peak white would be pretty bright and the display couldn't handle it. Projectors tend to be a lot dimmer so maybe they use the same peak brightness for both HDR and SDR.

I think we need to remember that HDR works very differently in projectors compared to backlit displays and to not assume we can transfer our experiance directly.
Old 31st May 2018, 05:13   #51080  |  Link
Warner306

For the HDR -> SDR for 1080p question,

I have two 1080p displays. One is calibrated to about 150 nits, the other is probably closer to 200 nits. I find a target nits between 400 to 500 nits seems to achieve adequate brightness.

Set the tone mapping curve to BT.2390.

Gamut mapping can be set to any of the comlex scientific modes or dumb mode - convert gamut late. It can be hard to immediately notice a difference between any of the gamut mapping algorithms, so this choice may not be critical to you.

Check the rest of the boxes at the bottom.

It is really that simple and not that hard to figure out. Adjust the target nits to your own tastes.

It is an adequate way to show HDR on a non-HDR screen if you accept the limitations of tone mapping. It is certainly a viable way to watch 4K UHD content.

As for the levels thing, I think this is a JVC projector oddity. I was trying to help someone with a JVC projector at AVSForums and his projector displays the strangest behavior. Every time he would fix something, something else would break. It is the most bizzare machine I have come across that runs madVR. His graphics card is a GTX 1050. He actually posted in this forum, so he might be reading this. I know you haven't had as many problems with your JVC, but it doesn't seem to like Windows or anything output from a GPU.

Last edited by Warner306; 31st May 2018 at 05:17.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling