Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd June 2016, 00:47   #38221  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by spon View Post
thanks @huhn. I see this behavior with most HEVC content, especially with bitrates higher than 1800kbps or so. In most cases, I will play 1080p content on a 1080p display, so no scaling beyond the basic Chroma.
Just wondering...what is a low (under 1,000 kbps?), medium (over 1,000 kbps?), and high bitrate (over, 2,000 kbps?) for x265?

Last edited by JarrettH; 3rd June 2016 at 00:53.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 01:25   #38222  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
Emby keeps it's own copies of madVr and LavFilters in the Users userdata? folder. If you have LAV installed separately, Emby ignores it. You'll need to edit the config file in the Emby folder.
The menus in Emby Theater allow the user to enable hardware acceleration. There is no need to go into the folders. At least, as far as I know.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:34   #38223  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Some tools (e.g. Nvidia Inspector) can read out video processor's utilization, how much is it during video playback? And how much GPU and CPU usage?
Thanks for the Nvidia Inspector suggestion. I downloaded it and I think it's helped me narrow down the problem. More below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Your GTX 960 is not decoding HEVC. This sounds like a problem with DXVA2 (copy-back) and LAV Video. Didn't you say MPC-HC was fine and Emby was not? Is Emby or your settings in Emby the problem?
Quote:
The menus in Emby Theater allow the user to enable hardware acceleration. There is no need to go into the folders. At least, as far as I know.
It looks like the primary problem is with Emby Theater not allowing HEVC hardware decoding in the LAV Video settings. I downloaded Nvidia Inspector and noticed that VPU Load is 0% during HEVC playback in Emby. If I play the same file in MPC-HT, the VPU load stays steady at 8%. The GPU and MCU loads both fluctuate between 10-30% in both Emby and MPC.

It seems that Emby Theater is using a separate version of LAV and I can't seem to locate the config file so I'm not sure how to enable HEVC hardware decoding. I'm hoping to get an answer in the Emby forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Just wondering...what is a low (under 1,000 kbps?), medium (over 1,000 kbps?), and high bitrate (over, 2,000 kbps?) for x265?
Great question. lol. I've generally seen most 1080p x265 encodes to be around 1200-1600 kbps, so I guess that's medium? I would prefer closer to 3000 kbps, if I can get smooth playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what your is video card, CPU and decoder settings?
I have a GTX 960 that I purchased specifically for x265 playback. My CPU is not too good though - AMD A6-6400k.

It seems that I get some dropped frames even playing x265 files in MPC, even though the GPU and MCU (is the CPU?) loads never go much higher than 30% or so. Is that to be expected?

My decoder settings for 1080p 24fps playback (1080p plasma TV) are pretty conservative. I have debanding @ edium, BiCubic Luma, upscaling, full screen exclusive, ordered dithering.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I really appreciate it!
spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:37   #38224  |  Link
Della

Quote:
The latest Emby Theater does not expose many settings. Hardware acceleration is one of the few, but not H265 or many of the others. For madVr, Emby exposes smooth playback only - any other options need to be configured in the XML settings. And they are separate from any other installation.

Last edited by Della; 3rd June 2016 at 03:51.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:27   #38225  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
The latest Emby Theater does not expose many settings. Hardware acceleration is one of the few, but not H265 or many of the others. For madVr, Emby exposes smooth playback only - any other options need to be configured in the XML settings. And they are separate from any other installation.
Do you happen to know the folder location of the XML file?
spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:52   #38226  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Anyone tried the new GTX 1080 with MadVR?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:07   #38227  |  Link
CHEF-KOCH
madVR + LAVFilters User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
Anyone tried the new GTX 1080 with MadVR?
Yes and it works, there are some things which are known that the driver is causing it but besides this, it works. Give it time it's new.
CHEF-KOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:13   #38228  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
there are some things which are known that the driver is causing it but besides this, it works.
what are these things?
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:29   #38229  |  Link
CHEF-KOCH
madVR + LAVFilters User

Please stay on the topic, we already have 1000 pages with off-topic because most questions are how to setup madvr or how to configure your device.

I think we not need to talk about driver related issue, since it may get changed in the next version. It would be more important if it affects everyone and not only a specific range of people. The 1080 have thermal issue (due reference design) and gamut problems due driver, I not go into detail as long we not get another driver to compare. As said it takes time and 368.25 is the only whql currently for the 1080. There are under some environments also other problems with VXAO, TDR and HBAo+ but overall I don't think it affect something you can directly see within madvr.
Old 4th June 2016, 03:35   #38230  |  Link
Dlget

I posted about my RAM reaching 95% after ihr playback 3 pages back.
Please help me figure out the problem.
Since nothing is getting crashed,i'm unable to get crash log & this occurs only after long time of playback (1hr).
So reproducing same effect is a timetaking process.
Problem i'm getting is it's way beyond what RAM usase should be (25% at initial,then 23-35% seems okay value) & i'm unable to jump forward or backward properly.

Can anyone say what can i do to generate debug info or any log that can be useful to figure out problem????
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 04:25   #38231  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlget View Post
Can anyone say what can i do to generate debug info or any log that can be useful to figure out problem????
You should really attempt some troubleshooting before posting... How do you even know this is related to madVR? Come back with more information after you've put in some effort to narrow it down. And also you should know about the debug batch file in the madVR directory....

Last edited by ryrynz; 4th June 2016 at 04:27.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 06:38   #38232  |  Link
Dlget

In debug mode log size increases as more time madVR runs.
But this memory leak seems to occur after long time of playback.
& with that time log will become like 4-5GB???
should i just run video for 5min & post log?
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Old 4th June 2016, 07:18   #38233  |  Link
ryrynz

Check it isn't related to your decoders/media player first.
Then check media, certain types of files causing it? reset madVR defaults to see if it isn't a certain setting that's causing it etc.
Then once you narrow it down you can provide specifics on how to reproduce it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 10:29   #38234  |  Link
Dlget

I suspect LAV video decoder 0.68.1 with hardware decoder when used for 1080p n above produce these.
Anyway thanks for reply.
Reverting to 0.67 to test if that works fine.(in 0.67 i don't remember having full RAM coz of video playback)
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Old 4th June 2016, 11:03   #38235  |  Link
CHEF-KOCH
madVR + LAVFilters User

@Dlget

You already talked about memory leak so I guess you're right but this not belongs in here.

You need to report this in the official bugtracker. With video example, hardware configuration and your settings.

I would isolate this by trying to disable LAV and see if that happens with internal filters too. If it's only related to LAV you need to open an ticket on LAVFilters. But's impossible to say without any example video.

Edit: Just found this, don't know if it's you.

Edit2: See if DUMo detects newer drivers and try to update them.

Last edited by CHEF-KOCH; 4th June 2016 at 23:28.
Old 4th June 2016, 11:04   #38236  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thousands of people play videos using LAV Video and/or madVR, if there was a memory leak, someone would've noticed.
Its far more likely something specific to your system or setup.
Old 4th June 2016, 18:09   #38237  |  Link
jkauff

Sysinternals has a nice little utility called RAMmap that will show you in real time which programs are using how much memory.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ls/rammap.aspx
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 23:56   #38238  |  Link
petran79

I upgraded Motherboard RAM and CPU and now the GPU has issues. Since CPU is better, the Nvidia GTX660 reaches over 90 % load when I enable NNEDI or similar algorithms. With previous CPU I'd get framedrops. As a result after 10-15 minutes I get occasional freezes due to GPU overload, even after I close the media player. I have to restart the system for problem to dissappear. Till I get one of the new and more powerfull GPUs this summer, I'll stick with Jinc
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 07:38   #38239  |  Link
hiepbg

New deringing artifacts filter + reduce dark halos is too heavy

Hi,
New settings are great, low noise, sharp image.
New deringing artifacts filter + reduce dark halos is too heavy for my graphic cards (8750M), but without it, everything still great

If i enable deringing artifacts filter, rendering times increase from 18ms to > 40ms with high bitrate 720p video (>10000kbps), and framerate drops quickly.

Last edited by hiepbg; 5th June 2016 at 10:09.
hiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 17:44   #38240  |  Link
Uoppi

When doing 720p -> 1080p, madVR OSD has started showing Jinc chroma upscaling (on the row after luma) in addition to the Super-XBR chroma upscaling that I've chosen for the profile.

I have no idea why this is happening because previously it's always been SuperXBR chroma only (meaning only one row in the OSD showing chroma instead of two, i.e. for some reason now Jinc chroma is showing up all of a sudden). I haven't changed any settings. My rendering times are screwed up because of this.

Last edited by Uoppi; 5th June 2016 at 17:50.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling