Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th February 2009, 19:18   #1  |  Link
Furiousflea

BD-Rebuilder Guides for Tools

BD-Rebuilder step by step
HD DVD -> Bluray
Burning
Get BD-R Capacity from BD-RE Disc
Compatible BD5\BD9 players....

BD-Rebuilder step by step

Software you will need...

BD-Rebuilder - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

Extract file archive anywhere you like, preferably close to the root of your drive to avoid potential problems.

AVISYNTH 2.57 - http://www.avisynth.org/

FFDShow - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

After the install, run "Video Decoder Configuration" for FFDSHOW from the "START/Programs" menu, and make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled. Also make sure VC-1 decoding is set to "disabled".

Matroska Splitter - http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

AnyDVD HD - http://www.slysoft.com

Imgburn - http://www.imgburn.com

Important: After the above have been installed\extracted make sure you RESTART YOUR COMPUTER before you begin.

1. Make sure AnyDVD HD is running at it's default settings and enabled with the small icon in the taskbar in RED - this show's it is enabled. Right click the RED icon and choose "Rip Video DVD To Hard Disk". Select your Bluray drive and output folder and click "Copy". Copying will take a long time depending on the speed of your Bluray drive it can take between 30 mins - 90 mins.

2. Open BD-Rebuilder by browsing to the folder you extracted it to earlier and running BD_Rebuilder.exe. When it first loads you may be a little daunted but creating a good quality BD backup is childs play.

3. First you have to chose what your target will be, are you burning to BD5 (Single layer DVD+\-R) BD9 (Double layer DVD+\-R) or BD25 (Single layer BD-R) - You only need a Bluray burner for writing to BD-R all DVD writers can make a BD5\BD9 backup.

4. So lets get started, click "settings" then from the drop down list click "options" then select your desired output. Next in the same drop down menu click the "Encoder settings" sub menu and you can see that you can chose the quality of the output. The highest quality setting will take so long even on a fast system that it is best to always chose "High quality (default)". Now click the "settings" menu again and this time chose the bottom option "Setup". A dialogue box will appear with a few different options. At the top we have "Audio Languange To Keep", most blurays have a few different audio languages on the disc. It is best to remove the ones that aren't in your native language as long as you aren't backing up a bluray that is meant to be in another language and has no audio track in your native language. So make sure there is a tick by the box for your native language. Next the box below this "Limit to one track for each language", this will make BD-Rebuilder only encode 1 audio track for each language for your bluray. For example if your bluray has an english main track and 1 english commentry track, BD-Rebuilder will deselect the commentry track. It will apply this rule to extras also.

The same thing applies to the "Subtitles" box on the right.

Below this we have "stricter AVCHD compliance for movie only" - This is useful if you are making a backup for playback on devices that don't properly support BD9 but will playback AVCHD (The PS3 is an example of this)

And under that we have the audio encoding options. Audio on bluray is stored at an extremely high quality much higher than DVD. It is normally overkill for most people except the very best high end hardware and is impossible to keep on a BD5\BD9 backup without reducing the picture quality substantially because there will be less room for the video data.

The first option "Do no convert DTS to AC3". If this is selected and your bluray has a DTS\DTS-HD\DTSMA audio track, then it will not be re-encoded to AC3. Note that your audio will still be re-encoded to normal DTS - which is still very high quality and even that can take a lot of space. So it might be a good idea to not tick this box unless you are doing a short "movie only" backup on BD9, for BD5 you should never select this.

Under this we have "Do not reencode AC3" This works in the same way as the option above for DTS but applies to audio encoded with Dolby codecs (TrueHD\AC3+) This option isn't as critical as the DTS one in terms of wasting space on your backup as TrueHD will be encoded whatever you select (uncompressed audio taking massive amount of space) but it is stil best to leave it unticked for BD9 and always BD5.

Finally we have "Use 640kbs for Ac3 encoding" This option will make BD-Rebuilder encode AC3 audio at 640kbs instead of the default 448kbs. This option works in conjuntion with the "Do not convert DTS to Ac3" So if you do not convert your DTS audio to AC3 this option won't do anything. But if you do encode your DTS audio to Ac3 this will chose whether to encode it at 640kbps\448kbps. Jdobbs, the author of BD-Rebuilder thinks that the difference in sound quality between 640kbs and 448kbs is negligable. My opinion differs on this matter and the difference in bitrate shouldn't affect the quality of your video even if you chose the higher quality 640kbs unless your Bluray is very large.

Ignore the options on the right below the subtitles selection box, they aren't needed for basic backups.

Click save changes once you have chosen the options that are most appropriate for your particular bluray.

Now you need to select the source directory of the Bluray you want to backup, click "browse" to the right of the "sourc path" box, and locate the folder you backed up your bluray to using AnyDVD HD earlier. Now click "browse" again, under the working path heading and chose a folder where BD-Rebuilder will do it's magic, if you have 2 or more hard drives it is best to select a folder on a drive seperate to the one your Bluray has been ripped to. It is not essential but will make using your computer smoother for doing other tasks while your Bluray is being backed up.

Finally before we hit that big "Backup" button, you need to chose if you want to make a full backup, or a backup of the movie only with no extras or menu on the backup. You can do this by clicking "mode" on the toolbar and clicking the desired option "Full backup" or "Movie only backup".

If you are burning to BD5 you should ALWAYS chose "Movie only backup". If you are burning to BD9, you must look at how long your Bluray is (it will say near the bottom of the screen above the "Backup" button). If it is under 2:30, a full backup should be ok. For BD25 you should always select a full backup.

Thats it, click backup and WAIT.....It can take anywhere from 8 hours on a fast quad core computer to many days on an old Pentium 4\AMD single core computer.

Hope this guid is of some use I will tidy it up in due course

HD DVD -> Bluray (main movie only)

Software you will need

AnyDVD HD - http://www.slysoft.com

EAC3To - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

HD-DVD\Bluray Stream Extractor - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=141829

Extract to same folder as EAC3To (this is simply a frontend so you don't have to mess around with command lines)

TSmuxer GUI - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134104

Rip your HD DVD with AnyDVD HD, the in the same way as you would with a Bluray (Look up there on how to do it ^). At this point we need to run the HD-DVD Stream Extractor you should have extracted already. Once you've run it, you'll see at the top left a room for path to the input folder. Click the button to the right of that and browse to the rip of your HD DVD and load it. Next click the little blue "features" button and your HD DVD will be analysed and the results will shortly be displayed in the window below. The top entry will nearly always be your HD DVD "main movie" and have the longest duration (the one you want) with the others (if there are any) being extras.

Go ahead and click the entry that corresponds to the main movie and wait a few seconds until the various streams that are in the "main movie" appear.

Once loaded you should have various streams, as a minimum an "audio" and a "video" one, most likely a few "audio" ones though and a load of subtitle ones too. You need to put a tick by the main "video" stream (this will be 1080p 99% of the time) and NOT the secondary video stream (this will be 480p 99% of the time and is a PiP track if you HD DVD has one).

When choseing what to extract the video as make sure you DON'T chose MKV - Depending on what type of codec was used chose either VC1\h264.

Now on to audio, put a tick in the audio stream that corresponds to your native language and a lossless one if possible (TrueHD\DTS Master Audio) If there is no lossless one then the highest bitrate surround track is normally the correct one to extract. Make sure you "extract as" the same format of the original track, eg TrueHD as "THD" EXCEPT for EAC3 audio, that should be extracted as "AC3"

Now on to subs, if needed. Some movies have "forced" subs and they will apprear in the description here so have a quick check if some forced subs in your native language are need and put a tick by them also if needed.

Now click the browse button up the top right for the output folder selection, click ok. Back at the main windows click the "Extract" button at the bottom of the windows and WAIT - depending on speed of your hard drive and various factors, it can take between 10 mins and 1 hour.

Now on to using TSmuxer to merge those extracted streams into and m2ts container and output as bluray file structure.

You should now be left with 2-3 raw streams, your video and audio as well as a sub track if you extracted one of them too. Now browse to the folder you have extracted TSmuxer to and run the GUI executable in that folder (the one with a nice icon ) At the top 3rd of the screen you have room to drag files on to the program window that will form your bluray structure. So, open the folder you extracted those raw streams to just now and drag 1st the video, then the audio and then the subtitle if you used one.

The middle window should now be populated with a video\audio\subtitle track. For cosmetic reasons you can click your audio\subtitle track and update its displayed language in the drop down list once you've clicked it (not essential though.

Ok, so these files will make up your bluray, Below this is the output section, chose "Create Blu-ray disk" then browse and create a folder where you want to store the Blu-ray structure. Then click ok.

Back at the main TSmuxer window click "Start Muxing"....Wait a while and TSmuxer will tell you once it's finished and if it was successful.

Load this output folder into BD-Rebuilder....Your done.

Notes : You can extract as many audio\subtitle tracks as you want from the HD DVD, I chose a single one for simplicity of the guide. You can keep your commentry tracks and all that rubbish if you want just make sure you drag that file into TSmuxer also when creating youe bluray structure

Burning

Software you will need

ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com

Install ImgBurn then load it up and chose the top right icon "Write Files\Folder To Disk"

Click the "Browse for Folder" icon, (its above the red X) browse to the output folder of BD-Rebuilder and click the folder representing the name of the movie and click ok to add it.

Chose the destination as your DVD writer\Bluray writer in the dropdown list below the files\folder list window.

Look to the right and you will see a selection of tabs, click the "device" tab and chose your burn speed (recommended as low as possible to give good quality burn)

Next click the "options" tab and change the filesystem to "UDF" and UDF revision to "2.50"

Optionally you can click the "Label" tab and give your disc a label so that when it is loaded on a computer the name of the movei will appear in my computer for easy recognition.

Go back to the "Information" tab and click the big calculator icon at the bottom of the screen, various statistics about your burn will pop appear like size etc.

Click the big burn button at the bottom left of the ImgBurn main window, click ok to any dialogue box that appears.

MAKE SURE YOU TICK THE "VERIFY" BOX ABOVE THE LARGE BURN ICON TO RULE OUT ANY DODGY DISCS WHEN DIAGNOSING ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR DISC.

Assuming everything goes ok during the burn you will be left with a nice BD5\BD9\BD25 ready for playback.

Get BD-R Capacity from BD-RE Disc

If burning to BD-RE the space available isn't as high as BD-R by default. To make it so you can write as much to a BD-RE as a BD-R....

Start Imgburn
Tools -> Settings -> "Write tab" -> "Prefer format without spare areas" check box.

Now whne you next format you BD-RE with Imgburn it will hold as much as a normal BD-R

Compatible BD5\BD9 players....

Please refer to my other thread on comptabile BD5\BD9 players if you have any problems it could be that your player doesn't support full disc on BD5\BD9 media, or it may not support BD5\BD9 at all.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

Please post any information you have in terms of compatibility there so I can keep that thread up to date.

Potential Problems

1. Error "Unable to find MSCOMCTL.OCX" or similar...

Solution; Right click BD-Rebuilder -> Run as Administrator (Only needs to be done once)

Last edited by Guest; 19th March 2009 at 03:10. Reason: oooooohhhh, new bits!!!!
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 19:27   #2  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

You forgot to mention Avisynth, which is a critical component.

Isn't this already covered by jdobbs in the link you provide at the top?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

Last edited by archaeo; 15th February 2009 at 19:32.
archaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 20:03   #3  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
You forgot to mention Avisynth, which is a critical component.

Isn't this already covered by jdobbs in the link you provide at the top?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716
I remembered just as I posted it, it's been added now.

A guide was requested. So I made one, people were saying they still didn't know what to do. I've gone into detail step by step for the less clued up amongst us.
Old 15th February 2009, 21:04   #4  |  Link
Capsbackup

@Furiousflea:
Quote:
Perhaps a link to these instructions and/or a simplified guide would bring me in. I am all for helping out here, but I can definitely get lost quite easily without the details. But as I said before, if I am not up to the task or the qualifications, I'm out and I will stand by and read others attempts.
Thanks for the helpful guide, but I should have been more specific. I was referring to a guide/link for debugging .x264 for Dark Shikari, since I have had an .x264 crash and was trying to find that reason for the BD-RB development efforts
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 21:10   #5  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@Furiousflea:

Thanks for the helpful guide, but I should have been more specific. I was referring to a guide/link for debugging .x264 for Dark Shikari, since I have had an .x264 crash and was trying to find that reason for the BD-RB development efforts
lol

oh well, it's abit more detailed that the instructions jdobbs has given so hopefully it will help someone. Sorry I can't help you with the debugging thingy
Old 15th February 2009, 23:57   #6  |  Link
cyberdoggy

Thanks allot, This is at least a solid step for us to follow so we don't have to keep asking the same questions in the debug forum.
cyberdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 01:05   #7  |  Link
datman

Yes thank you for the guide.

It's good for people like myself and newer folks.

One thing that messed me up right at start all the options in FFDshow setup. Silly me wanting everything I checked them all. I turned a 12 hour encode into, who knows a 3 day encode
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 20:54   #8  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
Software you will need...

FFDShow - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

After the install, run "Video Decoder Configuration" for FFDSHOW from the "START/Programs" menu, and make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled. Also make sure VC-1 decoding is set to "WMV9".
Are you sure about this being a requirement? I've always had ffdshow's decoder setting for VC-1 set to libavcodec and haven't noticed any problems... I have several movies with VC-1.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:17   #9  |  Link
Sophocles

Jdobbs did recommend the MPEG2 setting in his instructions. I never really took the time to pursue options since it is a rather simple adjustment.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:22   #10  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Are you sure about this being a requirement? I've always had ffdshow's decoder setting for VC-1 set to libavcodec and haven't noticed any problems... I have several movies with VC-1.
I *think* for interlaced VC1 libavcodec has problems. Could be wrong though.
Old 16th February 2009, 23:15   #11  |  Link
dre111nl

FFDSHOW settings and backup to BD25

Thanks for the guide! Nice job!

I have a few questions, may be you can answer.

1. FFDSHOW setting MPEG2: I have two options libavcodec and libmpeg2, which should I select? Any important differences?
2. FFDSHOW setting VC-1: is currently disabled on my PC. So, enabling it to WMV9 is advised? (see post above).
3. I want to BD-RB to backup to BD25, but movie-only. In your guide you write that for BD25 I should select full backup. Can you explain why?
4. If I want to keep the movie only on BD25 should I use TsMuxer first, to keep the movie only in a BD-structure, then do a full backup with BD-RB?

Thanks for your answers! I appreciate it.
dre111nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 00:49   #12  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
I *think* for interlaced VC1 libavcodec has problems. Could be wrong though.
Well that explains it! I wouldn't know the difference between an interlaced VC-1 file and a Volkswagen. I went ahead and changed it. Nothing has exploded yet, so I guess it doesn't hurt.
Old 17th February 2009, 00:58   #13  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre111nl View Post
Thanks for the guide! Nice job!

I have a few questions, may be you can answer.

1. FFDSHOW setting MPEG2: I have two options libavcodec and libmpeg2, which should I select? Any important differences?
2. FFDSHOW setting VC-1: is currently disabled on my PC. So, enabling it to WMV9 is advised? (see post above).
3. I want to BD-RB to backup to BD25, but movie-only. In your guide you write that for BD25 I should select full backup. Can you explain why?
4. If I want to keep the movie only on BD25 should I use TsMuxer first, to keep the movie only in a BD-structure, then do a full backup with BD-RB?

Thanks for your answers! I appreciate it.

I can maybe help with a couple answers..

1. I use libavcodec for the mpeg-2 setting. No problems... and its what the default setup from the ffdshow calls for.

2. Apparently wmv-9 is the choice for the VC-1 setting.

3. You can do a Movie Only to BD25 if you want, but in copying a bunch of full movies to BD-25, I can see absolutely no difference between the original Blu-Ray and the copy...none.

4. Just use BD-Rebuilder. Thats what its designed to do... take all those manual steps out of the process for you. Simply select Full Movie, set the quality level ( Default works great), and select the output size to BD25... Hit the start button.

I prefer to burn the output to disc myselft with ImgBurn instead of having BD-Rebuilder send it automatically. It gives me the opportunity to check the movie before committing a $5.00 BD-R 25gb disc.
Old 17th February 2009, 04:33   #14  |  Link
tyte_E_YT

If I remember correctly, someone said that selecting 'movie-only' is desirable on a bd25 if one wants the burned disc to be able to play in both ps3 AND set top box, or standalone, blu-ray players. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Oh wait thats what this is for: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

Last edited by tyte_E_YT; 17th February 2009 at 04:38.
tyte_E_YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 05:20   #15  |  Link
GaPony

Maybe if you provided the make and model of your player(s) you could get some more specific information from people who have those players and some experience with them. Essentially, if your player supports AVCHD you can play a movie only copy whether its on BD9, BD5 or BD25... with some minor adaptations for some specific models.

The thread you cited is supposed to be a discussion about compatibility of full movie copies to BD9/BD5.
Old 17th February 2009, 05:51   #16  |  Link
tyte_E_YT

Yes you're right about that thread G. I'm a little mixed up with so many options. Basically what happened is my girlfriend took 27 Dresses on bd25 to her friend's house and it played previews fine until the main movie at which point it was blank. I still need to find out what model her stb was, and then the problem could have simply been because I did it 2 weeks ago with an older (current at the time) BD-RB.
tyte_E_YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 22:36   #17  |  Link
DaMacFunkin

Most disks that display this problem havn't been ripped properly, you shouldn't remove Region code, you shouldn't disable BD Live and you shouldn't remove user Prohibitations in Any Dvd HD, you should also add the line to your ini file FIX_CLPI=0 in BD Rebuilder, this will give you ultra compatibillity on Panasonic players and others using the same chipset. Also make sure all your title sets have at least 1 audio track enabled....
DaMacFunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 08:15   #18  |  Link
dre111nl

FFDSHOW / AnyDVD HD settings

Thanks to all of you for the reply on the FFDSHOW settings. But also the settings for Any DVD HD helps. I'm sure I have the settings differently.

Maybe something to add in the guide?

dre111nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 09:22   #19  |  Link
tyau

Quote:
Thanks for the guide!

Yes, this is generally what I am doing. The few times I used BD-Rebuilder to make a "movie only" backup for me, it crashed.

When I used TsMuxeR to make a movie-only structure for me prior to using BD-Rebuilder for processing it into a DVD-5, things always went smoothly.

Because RB-Rebuilder is still in beta phase, perhaps it is best to reduce the amount of procedures RB-Rebuilder has to execute. Using TsMuxeR to strip down the movie prior to using RB-Rebuilder has worked for me with 100% success rate.

It is my wish that I could skip the above steps with the official release of BD-Rebuilder.
tyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 17:47   #20  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the reply on the FFDSHOW settings. But also the settings for Any DVD HD helps. I'm sure I have the settings differently.

Maybe something to add in the guide?

A mention of using AnyDVD-HD in default mode should be adequate... If in doubt just click the default button in AnyDVD's setup.