Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th July 2010, 23:28   #421  |  Link
stinman

I been trying to learn cli x264,I am having a hard time writing commands.Thought I would try this.I only encode bluray movies and use mkv anymore.I all ways used BDRebuilder or ripbot264.Now you got this new GOP thing for blurays and ripbot does not use it.I just loaded a whole movie (movie only) I never thought about audio.I usually just demux with tsmuxer and remux audio in later.I loaded the stream right from the BDAV folder,drilled down to stream.This is what I did - preset slow --tune film --aq-mode 2 --crf 21 --level 4.1 --keyint 24 --min-keyint 2 --open-gop bluray --b-pyramid strict --ref 4 --weightp 0 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --aud --nal-hrd vbr --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" I copied this from a post that sharktooth made.I loaded this into the custom parameters.I hit encode and away it went,says 4:33 hrs on x64bit Phenom II 955BE oc to 3.6.Did I screw up by not demuxing first?Or does it demux?if so where are the temporary files? I really didn't think I had it set right,since it took off I am letting it go.It only does video right?I am a n00b at cli,i can use tools and gui's good.I hope it does what I want,Thanks for your tool Lord Mulder
stinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 00:11   #422  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinman View Post
I been trying to learn cli x264,I am having a hard time writing commands.Thought I would try this.I only encode bluray movies and use mkv anymore.I all ways used BDRebuilder or ripbot264.Now you got this new GOP thing for blurays and ripbot does not use it.I just loaded a whole movie (movie only) I never thought about audio.I usually just demux with tsmuxer and remux audio in later.I loaded the stream right from the BDAV folder,drilled down to stream.This is what I did - preset slow --tune film --aq-mode 2 --crf 21 --level 4.1 --keyint 24 --min-keyint 2 --open-gop bluray --b-pyramid strict --ref 4 --weightp 0 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --aud --nal-hrd vbr --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" I copied this from a post that sharktooth made.I loaded this into the custom parameters.I hit encode and away it went,says 4:33 hrs on x64bit Phenom II 955BE oc to 3.6.Did I screw up by not demuxing first?Or does it demux?if so where are the temporary files? I really didn't think I had it set right,since it took off I am letting it go.It only does video right?I am a n00b at cli,i can use tools and gui's good.I hope it does what I want,Thanks for your tool Lord Mulder
This post is very confusing. What exactly is your question ???

About demuxing: You didn't tell us what kind of source file you are feeding into x264 CLI. But if that file is a video file stored in some container (AVI, Matroska, MP4, TS, etc) then it will be demuxed for sure. x264 currently only processes the video part of the source file and ignores the audio part. The demuxing and decoding is done by FFMS2 (libavformat/libavcodec) and it does NOT create a temporary file. The demuxing/decoding is done "on the fly". However FFMS2 will have to index the source file first. And (optionally) an index file can be saved, so the index doesn't have to be re-created next time...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th July 2010 at 00:14.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 00:36   #423  |  Link
stinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
This post is very confusing. What exactly is your question ???

You didn't tell us what kind of source file you are feeding into x264 CLI. But if that file is a video file stored in some container (AVI, Matroska, MP4, TS, etc) then it will be demuxed for sure. x264 currently only processes the video part of the source file and ignores the audio part. The demuxing is done by FFMS2 (libavformat/libavcodec) and it does NOT create a temporary file. The demuxing/decoding is done "on the fly".

Sorry I was confusing,I loaded a Bluray movie that was on my HD it was a m2ts, I used tsMuxer to keep the movie only and the English DTSHD-MA on my HD,the movie was in h264 1920-1080.Like I said,I can not write commands unless I see them first.The commands that I put into the custom parameters I copied from a post I seen, that made a file bluray compliant,.You answered with out knowing.It does demux and ignores the audio.I had been trying to use just x264 cli for awhile and couldn't get it right.So I stuck with GUI's.When I loaded this and it worked I was surprised and excited,I hope that crf 21 will do well.The movie it self was 22.1 GB,I try to keep them around 7.xx GB.
I was also just giving you a compliment,if this turns out well then 4.5hrs is good.I may need to go with 18,19,20.i don't know because usually I do 2pass for size.Thanks again!! This is great!!
BDRebuilder uses the new "GOP" settings in x264 * none: Open-GOP disabled. * normal: Open-GOP enabled. * bluray: . Open-GOP enabled. A less efficient version of open-GOP, normal mode doesn't work when authoring Blu-Rays.This is the GOP thing I spoke of in my first post.

stinman

Last edited by stinman; 19th July 2010 at 00:49.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:40   #424  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Updated x264 binaries to r1677 (Komisar's builds).
Old 28th July 2010, 00:30   #425  |  Link
stinman

Lord Mulder I really like your tool,i get to learn the commands,it is way faster than other gui's I have used.I want to say thanks for this tool,it works great for me!
Old 28th July 2010, 01:22   #426  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Lord Mulder I really like your tool,i get to learn the commands,it is way faster than other gui's I have used.I want to say thanks for this tool,it works great for me!
I doubt that my GUI is any faster (or slower) than other x264 GUI's. If a GUI has a significant impact on encoding speed, then something is seriously wrong

(If you mean the user can get started "faster" than with other more complex/advanced GUI's, then you are probably right)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th July 2010 at 01:26.
Old 28th July 2010, 01:36   #427  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

I'm also not sure what stinman means but last time I tried megui (before Zathor started to work on it), I was able to see actual form few seconds after I launched it.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 10:47   #428  |  Link
ckmox

Lord Mulder any chance of adding input boxes for the resize filter of x264?
ckmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 11:57   #429  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
Lord Mulder any chance of adding input boxes for the resize filter of x264?
Not planned. You can put "--vf resize:x,y" to the options input box easily, if needed.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:47   #430  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Updated x264 binaries to r1683 (Komisar's builds).
Old 30th July 2010, 01:00   #431  |  Link
stinman

Quote:
I doubt that my GUI is any faster (or slower) than other x264 GUI's. If a GUI has a significant impact on encoding speed, then something is seriously wrong

(If you mean the user can get started "faster" than with other more complex/advanced GUI's, then you are probably right)
I guess that's what I meant,plus I can set what I want and do not have to know how to write commands,plus you use the latest x264x64 which is a bit faster for me than say BDRebuilder.I have not been able to load a raw H264 file.If I demux a bluray with tsmuxer to get the DSTHD-MA file and the H264 file,then try to load only the H264 file it has a fatal error,but when I load the m2ts file from the stream folder it works just fine.Does it not accept raw h264 files?
Old 30th July 2010, 02:08   #432  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I guess that's what I meant,plus I can set what I want and do not have to know how to write commands,plus you use the latest x264x64 which is a bit faster for me than say BDRebuilder.I have not been able to load a raw H264 file.If I demux a bluray with tsmuxer to get the DSTHD-MA file and the H264 file,then try to load only the H264 file it has a fatal error,but when I load the m2ts file from the stream folder it works just fine.Does it not accept raw h264 files?
If x264 was built with FFM2 (FFmpegSource2) enabled, which is the case with the x264 builds that I include, then x264 can "accept" anything that the FFmpeg libraries (libavformat/libavcodec) are able to handle. Anyway, if FFM2 fails on the "raw" H.264 stream, you can still use Avisynth input. Use DGAVCIndex to create an .dga index file from your H.264 file and then use a simple Avisynth script, like this:

Code:
AVCSource("C:\Some Folder\Foobar.dga")

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st July 2010 at 11:02.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:13   #433  |  Link
stinman

Quote:
If x264 was built with FFM2 (FFmpegSource2) enabled, which is the case with the x264 builds that I include, then x264 can "accept" anything that the FFmpeg libraries (libavformat/libavcodec) are able to handle. Anyway, if FFM2 fails on the "raw" H.264 stream, you can still use Avisynth input. Use DGAVCIndex to create an .dga index file from your H.264 file and then use a simple Avisynth script, like this:

Code:
AVCSource("C:\Some Folder\Foobar.dgs")
Thanks,I think I can do that.If not I'll just stick with the BDMV/Stream/xxx.m2ts file.i do want to learn though.
stinman
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:24   #434  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Updated x264 binaries to r1688 (Komisar's builds).
Old 20th August 2010, 20:07   #435  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Thanks for this program. Please update x264-binaries to r1698. And could be as good as including a CRF 2-pass mode?

@stinman: To make your comments more readable you should use a space after your commas and full stops.

Last edited by Forteen88; 20th August 2010 at 20:39.
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 21:25   #436  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
Thanks for this program. Please update x264-binaries to r1698.
I upload new packages with updated x264 binaries now and then.

But there's absolutely nothing that prevents you from updating the binaries yourself at anytime you like

Quote:
And could be as good as including a CRF 2-pass mode?
CRF is single pass by definition!

Well, I know that one can run a CRF encode and then re-use the stats file from the CRF encode to run a second pass of a 2-Pass encode.

But I don't get the point of that

If the user wants to hit a specific file size (or average bitrate) then "normal" 2-Pass will work just fine. Otherwise CRF does the job...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th August 2010 at 22:00.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:45   #437  |  Link
Gser

Are you using the multi-threaded version of FFMS2?
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 22:55   #438  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

@LoRd_MuldeR: Nothing that prevents me from updating the binaries myself (I actually already did that), but some people probably don't bother doing that (or don't know how to), and it's IMO better to make sure that they use the latest x264.

The point with 2-pass CRF is to get more accurate VBV, but as gravy, also a tiny better --direct auto

EDIT: Thanks for the info concerning Lookahead-VBV, although it was announced by D.S. the 17th August 2009, not "ages" ago (although you might use that word as slang?!)

Last edited by Forteen88; 20th August 2010 at 23:38.
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 23:06   #439  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
@LoRd_MuldeR: Nothing that prevents me from updating the binaries myself (I actually already did that), but some people probably don't bother doing that (or don't know how to), and it's IMO better to make sure that they use the latest x264.
That's why I update the package now and then

But I certainly won't update the package for every single x264 revision. You really cannot complain about a two-weeks-old revision...

Quote:
The point with 2-pass CRF is to get more accurate VBV
Nonsense. VBV is always accurate, also in 1-Pass CRF mode.

x264 will never violate the VBV constraints without throwing a fat warning message. And if this ever happens, you either use absurd settings or you just found a bug

(There were some problems with 1-Pass VBV long ago, before Lookahead VBV was implemented. But that's fixed since ages)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th August 2010 at 23:26.
Old 21st August 2010, 00:01   #440  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the info concerning Lookahead-VBV, although it was announced by D.S. the 17th August 2009, not "ages" ago (although you might use that word as slang?!)
So that was more than a year ago. That is "ages ago" in x264 development, with a rate of approximately ten commits and three API changes per day

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st August 2010 at 00:05.