Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2008, 20:43   #3801  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
the video muxing frame rate change is a bit odd.. using -slowdown on a 25fps file and it seems to play fine at 24/1.001 and is synced to the the 24/1.001 audio file but mpc hc properties, haali splitter, ffdshow and evr all still report it as 25fps
This is a bug in the current eac3to version. It does everything right, but just writes the wrong framerate info into the MKV file. Will be fixed in the next eac3to build.
Old 12th March 2008, 20:49   #3802  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No. What happens if you split the movie into two parts: (1) the whole movie except the last second (2) the last second. Does the first part play then and the last part not? Maybe the problem is in the very last part of the movie?
(1) The main part will not play
(2) The main part will not play

But as I said. If I skip forward a second (even if the first second already is cut with mkvmerge) it will play.
Old 12th March 2008, 21:52   #3803  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
(1) The main part will not play
(2) The main part will not play

But as I said. If I skip forward a second (even if the first second already is cut with mkvmerge) it will play.
So in other words there's no way for you to create a sample with which I can reproduce the problem?

Have you tried the ffdshow FLAC decoder instead of madFlac? Does that make things work?
Old 12th March 2008, 21:58   #3804  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
Hmmmmm... Does this happen only with this specific MPEG2/FLAC combination? Do you have another MPEG2/FLAC movie you could cross check? I'm not sure if this is a problem with madFlac or maybe with the Haali Media Splitter?

You could try GraphEdit. Only connect audio there from Haali Media Splitter to madFlac to DirectSound renderer (or any other audio renderer). Does it play that way?
Thanks for the reply. I have since tried with another mpeg2/flac combo & get the same thing.

Haali to Madflac to default direct sound device does play the audio on both files.

If I disable Haali & enable the internal MPC mkv filter the same thing happens with Hostel (the 1st file I converted). The Terminator is the most recent one I tried, and the audio plays, but no video filter loads!
Old 12th March 2008, 22:00   #3805  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
So in other words there's no way for you to create a sample with which I can reproduce the problem?

Have you tried the ffdshow FLAC decoder instead of madFlac? Does that make things work?
You nailed it!

I was using ffdshow FLAC decoder...
By switching to madFlac the mkv start to play without using skip.

Strange though that just 2 movies (I guess that it was the same with Enron) suffers from this problem.
And the fact that by muxing H264 with mkvmerge it plays perfect when using ffdshow FLAC decoder.

Last edited by rickardk; 12th March 2008 at 22:04.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:24   #3806  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinleech View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have since tried with another mpeg2/flac combo & get the same thing.

Haali to Madflac to default direct sound device does play the audio on both files.

If I disable Haali & enable the internal MPC mkv filter the same thing happens with Hostel (the 1st file I converted). The Terminator is the most recent one I tried, and the audio plays, but no video filter loads!
I'll give it a try, but it will have to wait until Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
You nailed it!

I was using ffdshow FLAC decoder...
By switching to madFlac the mkv start to play without using skip.

Strange though that just 2 movies (I guess that it was the same with Enron) suffers from this problem.
And the fact that by muxing H264 with mkvmerge it plays perfect when using ffdshow FLAC decoder.
Honestly, I don't know what's going on. It's sure strange.
Old 12th March 2008, 23:07   #3807  |  Link
scarbrtj

Madshi:

I am taking many EVOs video only straight into mkv. The mkv files play fine, seem fine. But if I try to import them into AviMUX Gui 1.17.7, it crashes AviMUX Gui. I have to import the mkv into mkvmerge GUI, make a new mkv from there, then this mkv will go into AviMUX Gui.

Why does this bother me?

I like the ability to see the duration of a .mka file, down to the millisecond, that AVIMux Gui offers. So, I like to do my audio/video muxing in AviMUX Gui.

Minor issue, not stopping me from getting to my desired end product, but it does seem the "long way around." Why won't video-only mkv's from eac3to work in AviMux Gui?
Old 13th March 2008, 08:19   #3808  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbrtj View Post
Madshi:

I am taking many EVOs video only straight into mkv. The mkv files play fine, seem fine. But if I try to import them into AviMUX Gui 1.17.7, it crashes AviMUX Gui. I have to import the mkv into mkvmerge GUI, make a new mkv from there, then this mkv will go into AviMUX Gui.

Why does this bother me?

I like the ability to see the duration of a .mka file, down to the millisecond, that AVIMux Gui offers. So, I like to do my audio/video muxing in AviMUX Gui.

Minor issue, not stopping me from getting to my desired end product, but it does seem the "long way around." Why won't video-only mkv's from eac3to work in AviMux Gui?
It's a crash in AviMux Gui, so in someone else's software. I'm not the right person to ask about that. You might want to ask the AviMux developer about it. It would help if you could upload a little sample for him which reproduces the problem. If he finds out that there's something wrong with the MKVs created by eac3to then I'd be glad to hear about that and I'll work on fixing that. But at this point in time I rather think there's a bug in AviMux Gui.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:23   #3809  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
I'll give it a try, but it will have to wait until Sunday.
Thanks madshi, not a problem.

If you need samples of either files, just let me know.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:32   #3810  |  Link
nautilus7

I am trying to use the new aften build (762), but i get this error:

Code:
eac3to input.eac3 output.ac3
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 1:42:01, 2046kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding...
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Encoding AC3...
invalid number of channels
Initialization of the AC3 encoder failed.
eac3to is latest (2.30) and this happens with all libaften builds (generic, SSE3 etc). It also happens when i use as input wav or raw or ac3 files. In other words always. But if i use aften.exe and encode to ac3 outside eac3to everything works fine.

Does it seem as a libaften or an eac3to problem?

Last edited by nautilus7; 13th March 2008 at 14:37.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:31   #3811  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
@madshi: What are madFlac and eac3to written in?
Old 13th March 2008, 15:39   #3812  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinleech View Post
If you need samples of either files, just let me know.
I have at least the Terminator Blu-Ray, so I hope I'll be able to reproduce the problem. Let's see. Of course if you have a small sample with which I can reproduce the problem, it would be helpful if you could upload it. In that case I'd prefer to get the sample in its original form (EVO or VOB or m2ts). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
I am trying to use the new aften build (762), but i get this error [...]
Newer libaften builds often break compatability with older builds. Personally I don't really like this approach, but well, that's the way it is. It allows the libav developers to be more flexible. Anyway, in order to support newer libaften builds I sometimes have to update eac3to. Of course then older builds won't work, anymore.

The question is: Is there anything worth updating to in the newer libaften build? I don't think I'll invest the time to update to a newer lib for just 0.5% of speed improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
@madshi: What are madFlac and eac3to written in?
Delphi 7.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:44   #3813  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

OK, what about the E-AC3 and TrueHD decoding parts? Cos if they're not Delphi, I might be able to port them to ffdshow........
Old 13th March 2008, 15:49   #3814  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
OK, what about the E-AC3 and TrueHD decoding parts? Cos if they're not Delphi, I might be able to port them to ffdshow........
Those decoders are not integrated in eac3to. They're part of ffmpeg/libav, which is written in C. Both decoders are preliminary patches, though, and not yet in the official ffmpeg/libav svn.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:52   #3815  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Thanks, that makes things clearer. I was just horrified that they'd be Delphi!
Old 13th March 2008, 16:21   #3816  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Delphi is the best programming language ever, so there's nothing horrific about the thought of having the decoders written in Delphi...
Old 13th March 2008, 16:58   #3817  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Quote:
Delphi is the best programming language ever, so there's nothing horrific about the thought of having the decoders written in Delphi...
There is when you've been taught C++ the last 2 years, and self-taught C, so I have a rather one-sided view.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:24   #3818  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

tried to remux the Freedom vol.4 HD DVD and got 1 frame of audio overlap for almost each second of playtime. don't know if this can be considered as normal or is this is due to bad authoring or something else. so apart from that eac3to reports these problems, are they also solved or do these overlaps still exist when eac3to processing is finished? from what I was able to make out (anime lip sync and japanese language T_T) i'd estimate its out of sync for about 1 second.
though this problem only seems to occur with the dd+ track, when I encode the 2.0 pcm track to flac no such error is reported.

heres the complete log:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9gbqx

and heres a 30mb sample:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/51n7yt

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 13th March 2008 at 21:26.
Old 13th March 2008, 21:52   #3819  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
tried to remux the Freedom vol.4 HD DVD and got 1 frame of audio overlap for almost each second of playtime. don't know if this can be considered as normal
No, when there's a constant flow of overlap/gap warnings this is always a strong sign of a general problem (probably due to an eac3to bug).

Thanks for the sample. I've found that with the bitrate of the E-AC3 track in this sample (about 2.0 Mbit/s! first time I've seen this bitrate) the overlap/gap calculation of eac3to was slightly inprecise which resulted in these overlap warnings. This will be fixed in the next build.
Old 13th March 2008, 23:29   #3820  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

you should have seen this with equilibrium already, its the same there :P yes, I just tried to mux it again, but I get the same problems as with freedom vol.4 here. also with the machinist (the bitrate, but havent tried the remux now).

btw. was there any (documented or undocumented) switch or anything which I need for equilibriums strange video timestamps additionally? there was much said about it, but I cant recall what the final result was in the end :S
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to