Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 21st September 2003, 18:19   #1  |  Link
drkostas

Guide on how to ADD an INSERT DISC 2 Image

Hi!This is my first post.
First of all I would like to say a big thanks to all these people who contribute their knowledge to the community..
I bought a dvd-r 2 weeks ago and in this wonderful site I could find an answer for almost every question I had..

The only subject I never found an answer was how to insert to a splitted video an "Insert Disc 2 or Change Disc " image..
After searching for a couple of hours I have found a nice way to do this..

So as least (but not last) contribution to the community I wrote a guide and share it here with you!

Guide on how to add an INSERT DISC 2 Image and link all chapters that are on disc 2 on this image..

We will do something like DVDFAB, but with following differences

1) You can choose which Image you will use (very easy)
2) You can use Ifoedit to split the movie and then manually insert this image
3) You will have the opportunity to change some parameters , such as whether the chapters belonging to disc 2 are linking to the INSERT 2 IMAGE or not..

We will need

1) A vob file that conatins the Insert 2 image (In my example I will use the vob and ifo files created by DVDFAB , but you can use your own vob and use Ifoedit to build an ifo)

If you want the vob/ifo from DVDfab you can use dvdfab to split a movie and copy the last vob/ifo to a folder and then re-use them,
Or you can download the vob/ifo I use ..

2) Ifoedit 0,95

I will use as an example the movie Godfather III..
After ripping the movie you will have following tree view:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_02_2.VOB
VTS_02_3.VOB
VTS_02_4.VOB
VTS_02_5.VOB
VTS_02_6.VOB
VTS_02_7.VOB
VTS_02_8.VOB

The main movie is in VTS_2 and the menu is in VTS_2.0.VOB

And here begins our guide

1) Use Ifoedit to split your movie to 2 DVD-r using following parameters
- Correct Vob-Unit Navigation Pack
- Correct original Ifo
- Split to 2 DVD-r
- Create Sobfolders
-Vob Size 1GB
-Autocopy menu files to destination

And all the other parameters that you usually use

2) After the splitting has finished go to the Disc 1 and Disc 2 folders and make a backup of all ifo and bup files
Copy to both directories the menu files(if not copied by Ifoedit) and VTS_1 files (both vob and ifo)

In our example I have selected as splitting point chapter 14

So disc 1 has chapters 1-13 and following structure
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_02_2.VOB
VTS_02_3.VOB
VTS_02_4.VOB

Disc 2 chapters 14-25 and following structure
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_02_2.VOB
VTS_02_3.VOB
VTS_02_4.VOB

We are going to work with disc 1
3) Download the vob/ifo I have attached or build your own one.. (see at the end of my post for the attachment links)

4) From the file you have downloaded (or created) you should rename the vob and ifo file and give them a VTS number that follows the last vts number of the movie..

In our case we should give them following name (already done in the downloaded file)
VTS_03_0.BUP
VTS_03_0.IFO
VTS_03_1.VOB

5) Open now Ifoedit and open VIDEO_TS.IFO file from Disc 1 (We are going to work only with disc 1)

6) In our example you can see that we have 5 titles and the main movie is in title 5

7) Go to VMG_PTT_SRPT and in the first line address change the value with Old Value +1..
In our case we should change 5 to 6 in order to add 1 title more

8) Refresh and go down where the title 6 is created and change following values

Title playback type : 60
Number of angles : 1
Number of chapters :1
Title Set Number(vts#) = 3 (In our case is 3 ---you should give the number of the VTS you have given to the file!!)
Title Set title Number = 1

9) Now save VIDEO_TS.IFO and after saving GET VTS sectors
Ifoedit will automatically fix the start and end sector of the added title

10) We have completed one big step
Now we should fix how the INSERT 2 IMAGE will be called at the end of the movie

11)In VIDEO_TS.IFO go to VMGM_PGCI_UT

In our case we have 1 Language unit with 4 Menus for this language unit

We go the Language menu 1 (the only one in our example and find the
Number of Menus for this LU =4
We change it to 5

We save, close IFOEDIT, reopen Ifoedit and reopen VIDEO_TS.IFO

12) We go to VMGM_PGCI_UT again and click on + to see the menus
Now we can see the new LU_1 PGC-MENU_5 we have just created
Click on it and go to PGC command table

Add there a pre command : Jump to title x

In our case x=6
but you should give the number of the title number you have..

Save VIDEO_TS.ifo and

13) Open the ifo file of your main movie..In our case VTS_02_0.IFO
Go to VTS_PGCITI and select the PGC of your main title (in our case VTS_PGC_2)

Go to Post Commands and look if there is a command Jump to or Call
If yes Delete them

Add a Post Command
Edit the Post Command you added and select
(CallSS_VMGM) Call VideoManager PGC

Give the number of the Menu number we created in VIDEO_TS.ifo (in our case 5)
And resume cell 1

Save
Get VTS sectors

Now we have completed our guide
At the end of the movie there will come an Image telling us to Insert Disc 2

We have one more option..
Because we have kept the menus we can link all the chapters of Disc 2 to the Insert 2 Image

In order to do that

14) Open once again VTS_02_0.IFO
Go to VTS_PGCITI
Select your main movie (PGC 2 in our case)
In the third line there is a cell number..

If your last cell is not a chapter (for intstance if you have choosen to split your movie after a layout cell then you step over this step and go to step 15)

Otherwise add 1 number of cell
In our case if you have 13 do it 14
Refresh and go to the just created cell 14
Choose playback time 64 for PAL and 192 for NTSC
Entry point sector and
Last sector of this cell give the number of the last sector of the previous cell (in our case cell 13)

15) Now go VTS_SRPTI to our tittles PTTs (in our case TTU_2 PTTs)

Because you have splitted the movie wit ifoedit you will still have Program numbers for all the chapters of the movie (even for those which are in disc 2
Go to first PTTs that belongs not to disc 1 (in our case 14) and give value 14 (from the cell we just created)
For all following PTTs give the same value 14

Save and get vts sectors
Now your movie is ready
If you select from the main menu a chapter that belongs to disc 2 you will get the message for Insert Disc 2!

Drkostas
Athens

Guide in doc 42 kb

Insert Disc 2 vob/ifo files 28,2 kb

PS :I am waiting for your comments about the guide (if it worked for you or not)
If the moderators like the guide they can make this subject sticky..

Last edited by drkostas; 23rd September 2003 at 08:50.
drkostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 09:47   #2  |  Link
Dimad

Nice guide. Looks right.

Q Can machine think?
A Machine should not think. Machine must run.

Dimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 05:55   #3  |  Link
Steelo

Good job drkostas......

I tried to pull this off myself using a screen shot of dxc's "disc 2" image and could never get it to work correctly. I just gave up trying but I'll give your method a try next time I run across a movie I have to split. Thanks for the info.
Steelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 07:49   #4  |  Link
maa

Hey drkostas welcome to the madhouse - my first post was a guide too.
You did a lot of research then and its well writen.
The last thing you want is crticism but I do have
three small points:
  • I think the title is missleading though because you don't actually show how to "create an INSERT DISC 2 Image" which is a shame 'cause you do say its easy. Maybe you should re-name it to something like "Guide on how to ADD an INSERT DISC 2 Image"
  • From 5) you add VTS3 into VIDEO_TS.IFO but it looks like you forgot the entry in VMG_VTS_ATRT
  • Adding a menu by changing the number can corrupt the IFO unfortunately - sometimes works and sometimes not.

Keep up the good work,
maa

Last edited by maa; 23rd September 2003 at 07:55.
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 09:00   #5  |  Link
drkostas

Quote:
Originally posted by maa

The last thing you want is crticism but I do have
three small points:
  • I think the title is missleading though because you don't actually show how to "create an INSERT DISC 2 Image" which is a shame 'cause you do say its easy. Maybe you should re-name it to something like "Guide on how to ADD an INSERT DISC 2 Image"
Have changed it if you think it sounds better

Quote:
  • From 5) you add VTS3 into VIDEO_TS.IFO but it looks like you forgot the entry in VMG_VTS_ATRT
Actually you are right.
In VMG_VTS_ATRT we should do following changes
In Number of VTS add 1 .In my example we should change 2 with 3..
Afterwards we should Get VTs sectors and afterwards
Refresh and change the values in the new created VTS_3..

But it worked for me without doing it..
This is the reason I didn't refer to it..

Quote:
  • Adding a menu by changing the number can corrupt the IFO unfortunately - sometimes works and sometimes not.

Keep up the good work,
maa
Hmmm..It worked in the example above..
Unfortunately I have not enough experience ..
I will try this way and in other dvd's and will post here the results..

What I think logical is that if you add a Menu at the end there is no problem, because you don't interfere with other menu's procedures...As I have not enough experience also, I can't say it for sure..

As I said I am open to criticism and I am waiting for your comments.Because the point is to make all the changes needed in order to make the guide full working..

Thank you maa for your support..

Last edited by drkostas; 23rd September 2003 at 09:11.
drkostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 13:26   #6  |  Link
maa

Check this answer by mpucoder
Old 11th October 2003, 07:05   #7  |  Link
Chowskie

drkostas,

First of all, thank you for the great guide! I wouldn't be able to get it done without it.

The Insert Disk 2 vob/ifo files from u r for PAL version. It will be nice to include an NTSC version as well for those who need to use your files.

For those not using your files (creating their owns), one thing worthes mentioning here is to make sure to change the value of Cell 1: still time (seconds, 0xFF = Infinite) located under Cell Playback of the movie's PGC from 0 to 255 so that the image will be displayed on screen infinitely.

I hope these info will help others who need help on how to Add the insert disk 2 still image.

Since I've come this far, anyone who reads this should be aware that I know how to CREATE the still image VOB from a picture from scratch. So, if u need help on how to do this, u may PM me. I think drkostas will be happy to help u here too.

Last edited by Chowskie; 11th October 2003 at 10:52.
Chowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 14:48   #8  |  Link
scots22

I, for one, would love to be able to create and add an insert 2 disc image for NTSC disc splits. Maybe Derrow could put this feature in to the next IFOEdit release!
scots22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 20:50   #9  |  Link
FuBaSh

hmm...What if?

What if the VIDEO_TS.IFO file has no VMGM_PGCI_UT table? How would you go about completing steps 11+?

I recently bought a hilarious anime dvd called GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) Vol.9

Here are the facts I know:
- this is a DVD-9 NTSC disc
- it has about 6.99 GB of data
- the AUDIO_TS folder is empty
- the VIDEO_TS folder contains of the following files:
VIDEO_TS.BUP - 6KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO - 6KB
VTS_01_0.BUP - 74KB
VTS_01_0.IFO - 74KB
VTS_01_0.VOB - 39122KB
VTS_01_1.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_2.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_3.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_4.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_5.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_6.VOB - 1048544KB
VTS_01_7.VOB - 1006432KB

I have finished splitting the DVD with IFOEdit v0.96.

I have created the NTSC Insert Disc 2 Image files with IFOEdit v0.96.

I labeled the VOB, IFO, and BUP files to VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_0.IFO, VTS_02_0.BUP respectively.

I completed step 9-10 with one error message saying that the VIDEO_TS.VOB could not be loaded (obviously since there was no VIDEO_TS.VOB to begin with) and that I needed to remove that file and redo GET VTS sectors.

I followed the directions of the error message's advice.

I am now on step 11 where you say this:
Quote:
In VIDEO_TS.IFO go to VMGM_PGCI_UT....
However, I do not see anything other than the words:
Quote:
There is no VMGM_PGCI_UT table
I am confused and don't know where to go from here.
If you need to know more information, let me know.

Thank you for creating this guide.

Last edited by FuBaSh; 2nd November 2003 at 20:56.
FuBaSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 10:44   #10  |  Link
maa

Looking at the size of your video_ts.ifo you certainly don't have any menu tables in your VMGM_PGCI_UT !

BUT you can import a table from another IFO and use that.
Menu / "merge menu tables"
Old 5th November 2003, 07:33   #11  |  Link
FuBaSh

Thank you maa, I'll try it. I'm guessing any ifo file will do as long as it's a VIDEO_TS.IFO with a table that I'm trying to import? It seems weird that nothing would matter if I merge two different IFOs together. Crossing my fingers and hope this works. I'll let you know when I finish it this weekend.
Old 5th November 2003, 09:10   #12  |  Link
maa

Don't worry - the word "merge" is just plain wrong!
Should say Import because thats what it does....
Old 7th November 2003, 06:51   #13  |  Link
FuBaSh

Importing Chaos!

Okay, I found some time to mess around with the IFO files today. So I begin where I left off from step 10.

First I merged (imported) a sample IFO with a PGCI unit table in it to the IFO I am planning to use the guide for.

Then I continued to step 11. It seems like you want me to add another PGC menu to the existing Language Menu 1.

This is where the confusion starts. Since I don't have a PGCI unit table to begin with, I realize that all the imported Language Menus are functionless. I'm not sure what to do.

I can't seem to go on with step twelve because trying to add a PreCommand by right-clicking on the words "There is no PGC Command Table" in Language Menu 1's newly created PGC menu would not add a command to the menu I created. Instead, after more careful analysis, I actually find that IfoEdit adds the new PreCommand to the first PGC menu from the imported Language Menu 1. I believe this happens because I did not have a Language Menu to begin with. The only clues I had were very strange IfoEdit crashes and instances when IfoEdit seemed to not respond when I told it to add/edit/delete a command in a table. =(

Okay so now I find that I can only edit the imported Language Menu 1. However, since all the imported Language Menus are not really there, I went ahead and removed all the dummy Language Menus. Should I have done this?

I just went to VMGM_PGCI_UT and changed value in "Number of Menu's for this LU (VMGM_PGCI_SRP)" to 1 and then continue with step 12 working with the one Language Menu.

But after doing this, I got these errors in IfoEdit when I did a Get VTS sectors:
- The file position does not match the offset for table: ID_VMG_VTS_ATRT
- The IFO Endsector does not match the file size.

Strangely, if I do another Get VTS sectors, IfoEdit will correct certain addresses in the [VMGI_MAT] table for the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.VOB files (remember that the VIDEO_TS.VOB does not exist). It will also correct addresses in the [VMG_PTT_SRPT] table for the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. Unfortunately, I still get the "The IFO Endsector does not match the file size." error when I do this.

I continue to do Get VTS sectors and it turns out that by the fourth time I've done it, I receive no errors.

Next, following the directions in step 12, I go to LU_1 PGC-MENU_X (X is 1 in my case). Again, seeing as how there are existing commands in this PGC Command table, I went ahead and removed all of them and then added the PreCommand.

Finally, I wish to continue with steps 13-15 but I'm not sure of the following instructions:
In steps 13-14, Drkostas refers to this:
Quote:
select the PGC of your main title (in our case VTS_PGC_2)
How does he know that? Trial and error? I have an episodic dvd and want to know how I can make sure that I'm selecting the correct PGC of the last scene in the main movie so that the inert disk image will be displayed.

In steps 15, I am confused when Drkostas says this:
Quote:
Go to first PTTs that belongs not to disc 1
I have no idea which PTT's belong to disc 2. Is there an easy way to find out or is it just trial and error? Once again my dvd is considered episodic, so please let me know if I should be doing this any differently?

So now I'm stuck again and need more help

Wow, this is getting more complicated by the day. I hopefully have helped and not scared anyone who may need to import tables into their IFO to continue with steps 11+ for this guide. Keep in mind that I'm still new to this stuff, so being very detailed and clear with instructions will help a lot. Thanks for any help.
~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some other issues I wanted discuss too:

Although I wish Chowskie would be more specific with what exactly to edit, I am taking his advice since I created my own images. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I should not be in the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. I think I should be editing VTS_0X_0.IFO (X corresponds with the number of the main movie). If I'm right so far, I should be looking at the [VTS_PGCITI] table and finding the VTS_PGC_X menu (where X has the main movie) and changing the section of this area so that it looks something like this:
Quote:
Cell Playback:

[000000fe] Cell_1: Cell type (Angle) 2 [02]
type normal
Block type normal
seamless playback linked in PCI: no
interleaved: no
STC discontinuity: yes
seamless angle linked in DSI: no
[000000ff] Cell_1: Cell restricted? 0 [00]
restricted: no
[00000100] Cell_1: still time (seconds, 0xFF = Infinite) 255 [ff]
Then, I should save and do a Get VTS sectors I hope that's right.
~~~~~~~~~~

There is a small typo I found in this guide:
Quote:
12) Now go VTS_SRPTI to our tittles PTTs (in our case TTU_2 PTTs)
VTS_SRPTI does not exist! I believe Drkostas is referring to PTT_SRPTI Thanks for reading this far.
Old 28th March 2004, 20:29   #14  |  Link
geffroman

We have a library of free clips to use on our web site . Each image comes as One ZIP file with 10 variations enclosed (5 NTSC & 5 PAL):[list=1]1) - Insert Disc Two To Continue... NTSC & PAL
2) - Insert Disc Three To Continue... NTSC & PAL
3) - Insert Next Disc To Continue... NTSC & PAL
4) - This Item Has Been Removed NTSC & PAL
5) - Special Features On Bonus Disc NTSC & PAL[/list=1]Don't see an image you like just Submit a Request... Want to give something back just Submit your clips for posting to the library... Include a 300x225 preview (gif, jpg or bmp)... Have an image you like but don't want to convert it yourself, Submit the file with your request...

Last edited by geffroman; 28th March 2004 at 20:32.
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 04:25   #15  |  Link
cannew

I was just searching for a file with "Insert disk 2" images.

Thanks geffroman
cannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 11:27   #16  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit has a function to add an external clip (still frame or animated video) at the end of a title. All you have to do is select the title, then use the macro "Import Title Closing Clip", and fill the options (still time, what to do when the clip has finished playing, and of course the clip filename).

The VMGM menus are added the right way (actually appended at the end of the table). This is not possible with IfoEdit.

And it is possible to use the Root Menu button to end the imported clip playback manually, and return to the original title's menu.

Also, there are macros to add a clip at the beginning of the DVD play (in the First-Play PGC) and at the beginning of a title (although there must be at least one GPRM not yet used in the DVD for those two macros to operate properly)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote