Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2005, 20:27   #41  |  Link
stax76

Old 10th August 2005, 11:52   #42  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Subtitles query

My apologies if this has been asked before but... would it be possible to add detection of subtitle streams... together with de-muxing of same?

Cheers
Old 10th August 2005, 13:09   #43  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
My apologies if this has been asked before but... would it be possible to add detection of subtitle streams... together with de-muxing of same?
I don't have any technical information about how to do it. Can you point to any?
Old 10th August 2005, 16:08   #44  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2
I don't have any technical information about how to do it. Can you point to any?
I wish I could...

Apart from the subtitles that are available via DVD sources, I guess there will be different types for DVB-C, S and T, as well as for all the other types of std-def and high-def digital TV sources

Cheers
Old 10th August 2005, 23:49   #45  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

I know a little something about subtitles on DVD...

Like AC-3 and LPCM, they are stored in private_stream_1 and each packet payload begins with a "substream" byte immediately following its PES header. Note that an AC-3 packet includes 3 additional bytes of information (6 for LPCM), but subpictures don't. I believe the substream number ranges from 0x20 to 0x3F for subpictures. The pictures are RLE-compressed bitmaps, 2 bits per pixel.

Demuxing the stream is easy, but detecting the language would probably require you to parse the IFO. That part I know absolutely nothing about...
Old 11th August 2005, 12:19   #46  |  Link
ARDA

vStrip and SmartRipper have demux options for subtitles.

I have never looked into the sources, just a suggestion, I remember to have used Vstrip some years ago, but cant say anymore.
Rejig also uses Vstrip sources to demux subtitles.Dvd2avinic uses vobsub to extract subtitles
Maybe this can be usefull
ARDA

Last edited by ARDA; 11th August 2005 at 14:47.
Old 12th August 2005, 23:36   #47  |  Link
Cyberia

We actually had this on the list at one point. It sounds like a great idea at first. But then I actually messed around with subtitles myself. What a mess.

They can come as text or bitmap formats. The bitmap formats must be converted to a text form using OCR. A program called SubRip does this, and it can directly extract from the Vobs.

Then you have to get VobSub and either hard-burn the subs in, or just mux them into an Avi (which again requires a special program, either AviMux, or VdubMod) or you could use an advanced format like MP4/OGM/whatever.

Now... about doing it in DGIndex.

It would be nice to have a one shot everything demuxer. As long as we are talking about the demuxing of the raw streams and not doing something TOTALLY outside of DGIndex's purpose (eg: OCR conversion)

Is Close-Captioning also considered a 'subtitle'? Or does it have yet another stream(s)?

You'll probably have to parse the IFO file to get languages, but this has the advantage that you can also get the AUDIO languages identified too.
Old 17th August 2005, 00:50   #48  |  Link

Version 1.4.1 beta 5

Version 1.4.1 beta 5 provides these new features:

* The CLI now supports demuxing the video (-OFD).

* Fixes for bugs in YV12 upsampling, i.e., upConv=true (fixes by tritical).

* When repeat flags are present give Film/Video percentages instead of
FILM/NTSC percentages. This avoids showing a PAL video as NTSC in some cases!

* The command line buffer has been increased to 4096 bytes. If you use a DOS shell instead of programmatic invocation, you will be limited by the capability of the DOS shell.

* The Info dialog window is dismissed upon any of these events: new file(s) opened, right/left arrow buttons hit, scroll operation on timeline.

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec141b5.zip

Last edited by Guest; 17th August 2005 at 01:15.
Old 17th August 2005, 04:42   #49  |  Link
tritical

Since dgdecode no longer includes YV12toYUY2(), could a way to force a specific upsampling mode (interlaced vs progressive) when upconv=true in mpeg2source() be added? I am asking mainly for three reasons:

1.) avisynth's conversions are not exactly the same
2.) the progressive frame flag cannot always be trusted (related to 1)
3.) it would make testing/comparisons easier

I was thinking maybe a new parameter similar to iPP such as iCC. Another possibility is changing upconv to an int, but that would break compatibility with anything currently using it as a bool.

Last edited by tritical; 17th August 2005 at 04:45.
Old 17th August 2005, 13:19   #50  |  Link

Sure, I'll do it tonight. I don't care too much about backwards compatibility for upConv. I never liked the name anyway.

Last edited by Guest; 17th August 2005 at 13:22.
Old 17th August 2005, 18:19   #51  |  Link
mic

If it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberia
They can come as text or bitmap formats. The bitmap formats must be converted to a text form using OCR. A program called SubRip does this, and it can directly extract from the Vobs.

Is Close-Captioning also considered a 'subtitle'? Or does it have yet another stream(s)?

You'll probably have to parse the IFO file to get languages, but this has the advantage that you can also get the AUDIO languages identified too.
Subs are an overlay video track of sorts on a DVD, so you'll always get a stream. It can be OCRed to convert to text, but as when stripping an ac3, you don't always need to. As far as other prog. that strip sub streams, think they do it as DGIndex does tracks -- let the user decide which is which, sort them out.

As far as CC on DVD, there is often a stream, plus CC being stored in the mpg2 itself. Vobsub I think can strip the stream -- I'm unsure if there's a way to access that part stored in the mpg2 other then parsing it with Graphedit (see SCC Tools site).

While CC data is text, it can require a bit of editing to suit a lot of folks. This is changing (or has changed?) with newer DVDs & even digital cable etc. using same basic text as subs, ending the biggest hassle of all, converting from all caps. And that's one difference between subs and CC, the other being the inclusion of sound effects or cues, which are a trivial matter to remove in Subtitle Workshop.
Old 17th August 2005, 21:33   #52  |  Link
tritical

Quote:
Sure, I'll do it tonight. I don't care too much about backwards compatibility for upConv. I never liked the name anyway.
If you're gonna change it, could I also suggest the ability to have dgdecode output rgb24 as well as yuy2? I've been looking at the other color conversion routines in dgdecode (422->444 and 444->rgb24), and the 422->444 routine is ok except it needlessy duplicates 7 pixels on the right side of the image instead of interpolating, also an isse version could be significantly faster than the current mmx routine. The 444->rgb24 routine is ok except that it always uses BT.709 coefficients instead of following the matrix_coefficients value. Currently those issues would only effect dgvfapi or anyone using the methods at the bottom of AVISynthAPI.cpp. I've got a fix for the 422->444 routine and made an isse version, wondering if I could get the current source to play with? Thanks

Last edited by tritical; 17th August 2005 at 21:48.
Old 17th August 2005, 22:48   #53  |  Link

How's about I give you the 141b5 source and you can make all the changes?
Old 18th August 2005, 00:03   #54  |  Link

@tritical

Here is the source code for 141b5:

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec141b5src.zip

@all

This is not an official release. Please do not redistribute it. Thank you.
Old 20th August 2005, 14:44   #55  |  Link

Version 1.4.1 beta 6

Version 1.4.1 beta 6 includes various changes/fixes for upsampling by tritical. These apply as appropriate for DGDecode, DGIndex, and DGVfapi:

* upConv can now be set to 3 values: 0, 1, and 2. 0 = do nothing,
1 = YUY2 output, 2 = RGB24 output... for the case that the input is 4:2:2
then 1 is the same as 0.

* Added iCC parameter. iCC=true uses interlaced YV12->YUY2 upsampling,
iCC=false uses progressive YV12->YUY2 upsampling, and leaving iCC unset
makes it switch based on the progressive_frame flag.

* Fixed a little problem with the 422->444 conversion, fixed a problem with
the 444->RGB24 conversion where it wasn't correctly handling pixel values
that came out as < 0, and added a faster isse 422->444 conversion. I also
modified the 444->RGB24 conversion so that it uses the correct coefficients
(indicated by the matrix_coefficients value).

* Added a way to force DGVfapi (and the DLL access functions) to follow
the progressive_frame flag.

* Added a Colorimetry box to the DGIndex Info dialog.

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec141b6.zip

Thank you, tritical!

Last edited by Guest; 20th August 2005 at 14:51.
Old 21st August 2005, 17:49   #56  |  Link

Version 1.4.1 beta 7

Version 1.4.1 beta 7 provides these major changes:

* Top-level picture decoding (slice and macroblock layers) was completely
redesigned to dramatically improve resilience to video errors, and to correct
some spurious video errors due to bugs in the old approach. The previous
design is a legacy of the original MSSG reference decoder, and was inherited
from DVD2AVI. The new design was adapted from fccHandler's
excellent VirtualDub MPEG2.

* Modified the Info dialog display of video errors to show text reasons
instead of numbers.

This version solves the known outstanding issues with "weird blocks". However, it required a major re-write, actually performed twice, once for DGIndex and once for DGDecode. Although I was very careful and regression tested things for several hours, there could be new minor problems introduced. This version is close to what I want for 1.4.1 final, so your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec141b7.zip

EDIT: See post below!

Last edited by Guest; 21st August 2005 at 18:29.
Old 21st August 2005, 18:27   #57  |  Link

Oops. If you downloaded before this current post, please redownload. I had uploaded a local hack (to test no-I-frame streams) instead of the real beta.
Old 22nd August 2005, 10:05   #58  |  Link
Chez_Wimpy

Option to remember last directory?

Sorry if this was asked before, but I just upgraded after a long interval, and I noticed that with DGIndex (as compared to dvd2avi) that the most recent directory saved to (for "Save Project") is not remembered. This is a minor nit, but is it possible to include an option to make it default to the used last directory? Thanks for a great piece of software (and the constant updates!).
Old 22nd August 2005, 13:41   #59  |  Link

I just fixed that last night after Jem pointed it out at my forum. It was a result of adding the default save path feature. It will be in the next beta/RC.
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:44   #60  |  Link
Zep

wow great work you two (three?) Just keeps getting better and better
by huge leaps and bounds!

Thx for all the hard work!

Zep
Closed Thread