Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2015, 23:29   #28201  |  Link
oddball

So does nobody know how to set the display modes so that 1080p content is sent unscaled to the 4K TV (allow the TV to do the scaling) and 4K content is sent @4K? "1080p23, 2160p30" results in 2160p content being downscaled to 1080p30. Just curious why this is occurring. At present I have my brother sending 1080p content scaled @ 2160p (I am guessing?) since that is the res he has the display set at. Basically I removed all 1080p display modes in MadVR's display profile.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 02:53   #28202  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
hy there,
i meant this one:
it was fixed when moving to older driver, wich i use now..
But id like to upgrade and well, maybe someone tried it...
Oh right! I had forgotten about that. I am sure it is a driver bug but I cannot test it as GK110 does not seem to be affected. Nvidia might take a long time to fix something like this.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 09:38   #28203  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
Nope, it depends on your graphic card. DxVA2 scaling is much better than bilinear in my case (HD7850). It looks similar to bicubic 1.0 in my eyes.
I have a 7850 too. I just checked a test video I have saved for these purposes that I've watched a million times. DXVA2 looks slightly blurrier than bicubic. It may be a bit better than what I was getting on my old 5450, but I wouldn't recommend anyone use it. It's noticeably worse than Lanczos/Spline, and that's not even getting into Jinc/NNEDI3.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 09:51   #28204  |  Link
sheppaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I have a 7850 too. I just checked a test video I have saved for these purposes that I've watched a million times. DXVA2 looks slightly blurrier than bicubic. It may be a bit better than what I was getting on my old 5450, but I wouldn't recommend anyone use it. It's noticeably worse than Lanczos/Spline, and that's not even getting into Jinc/NNEDI3.
I'm not saying DxVA2 scaling is better than anything you mentioned here except for bilinear in the above post of yours. It's better than bilinear at least. That's the point.
sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 19:36   #28205  |  Link
Asmodian

Slightly blurrier than bicubic is not good, I hadn't realized AMD cards did not have a good DXVA2 scaler. I wonder why nVidia and especially Intel have better quality DXVA2. I suppose it matters most with Intel as you are more likely to not have the power for the better scalers in madVR; I hope AMD's APUs offer better hardware scaling?
Old 13th February 2015, 04:03   #28206  |  Link
AMZMA
Auto Bennad

hello

how to change OSD font?

thnks
AMZMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 07:07   #28207  |  Link
Asmodian

You cannot.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:53   #28208  |  Link
makz

Hi, I have some problem with MPC-HC and Madvr 3DLut. Trying on my Dell 2312. I create madvr .3dl and all fine, but there is differnce in measurments HCFR between madTPG and MPC-HC+madvr. My problem with rendering 100% color with 3dlut (Dell 2312 has oversatturated native green). Sorry for my bad english. See some pictures. What wrong? Thanks!
Attached Images

makz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 01:56   #28209  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makz View Post
Hi, I have some problem with MPC-HC and Madvr 3DLut. Trying on my Dell 2312. I create madvr .3dl and all fine, but there is differnce in measurments HCFR between madTPG and MPC-HC+madvr. My problem with rendering 100% color with 3dlut (Dell 2312 has oversatturated native green). Sorry for my bad english. See some pictures. What wrong? Thanks!
It looks like you are using limited range in one test and full range in the other? This has always been the reason when I have gotten different results in HCFR with madTPG and madVR.

Make sure you are actually using the same test patches in both places.

edit: HCFR also has a save image option so you can get more reasonably sized images to share.

more explanation: The 3DLUT does not clip when you go out of range, it simply lets the calibration go bad as it cannot be right when over 100%. This means that measuring WtW (or Greener than Green) will give what seems to be uncalibrated colors; over 100% green will go outside the target gamut.

Last edited by Asmodian; 14th February 2015 at 02:10.
Old 14th February 2015, 02:34   #28210  |  Link
baii

If I remember correctly dxva scaler was added because they are cheap. On my win tablet, noting other than dxva scaler will run without drop frame.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 12:20   #28211  |  Link
makz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
more explanation: The 3DLUT does not clip when you go out of range, it simply lets the calibration go bad as it cannot be right when over 100%. This means that measuring WtW (or Greener than Green) will give what seems to be uncalibrated colors; over 100% green will go outside the target gamut.
I do not understand why there is a clip in MadTPG and it is not in MPCHC+MadVR. what is the difference? and sorry for the pictures)
Old 14th February 2015, 15:47   #28212  |  Link
Remicade

I don't understand why I see all bars in AVS HD 709 (1- Black Clipping.mp4) when I choose in madVR/devices/properties 16-235 and only 17 and above when I choose 0-255 and raise brightness control at 100. It seems illogical, my graphic card output 0-255.
Remicade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 19:16   #28213  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remicade View Post
I don't understand why I see all bars in AVS HD 709 (1- Black Clipping.mp4) when I choose in madVR/devices/properties 16-235 and only 17 and above when I choose 0-255 and raise brightness control at 100. It seems illogical, my graphic card output 0-255.
Why's that? Above the selection it says:

"the display expects the following RGB output levels:"

You can pick either PC levels (0-255), TV levels (16-235), or Custom. The content you want to see in YUV/YCbCr video is encoded 16-235. If you pick PC levels MadVR turns YUV 16-235 into RGB 0-255 and levels below 16 and above 235 are truncated. If you pick TV levels YUV 16-235 is turned into RGB 16-235 and nothing is truncated/clipped.

In the latter case your display is expecting 0-255 so it will show you 0-15 and 236-255 (which shouldn't be seen) because you have madVR set incorrectly.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 21:08   #28214  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Kodi or XBMC integration

Is there any chance this gets built directly in the the XBMC/Kodi Windows fork?
tjcinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 21:42   #28215  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makz View Post
I do not understand why there is a clip in MadTPG and it is not in MPCHC+MadVR. what is the difference? and sorry for the pictures)
What are you displaying to test in MPC-HC+madVR?

The patches HCFR generates using madTPG are limited range. If you are watching full range video as limited range video in MPC-HC you are getting the expected result.

It is easiest to see using the AVS HD test patterns. If you watch the white clipping test in basic settings you can see the effect as white goes WtW. The color test patterns included are also limited range so you could use them to do your measurements.
Old 14th February 2015, 22:04   #28216  |  Link
michkrol

I see a little discussion going on about DXVA2 scaling.

From my experience, it's only worthwhile on Intel's GPU starting with Ivy Bridge architecture (3rd generation Core i3/5/7/Pentium/Celeron), since it seems to have dedicated hardware for scaling.
Heck, my low power Celeron 1007U can scale 4K@24fps to 1080p with smooth playback, so it is the solution for netbooks and similar.

My Geforce 750Ti seems to use shaders to perform DXVA2 scaling. The GPU load is on par with madVR's own Lanczos4 + AntiRinging scaling, while the quality is far from it, although not really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Is there any chance this gets built directly in the the XBMC/Kodi Windows fork?
MadVR has "support" for being used by a variety of software. You need to ask the developers of the software you want to have support for madVR.

There's little interest from Kobi's developers, since it is multi-platform, while madVR is not. This thread (15s spent on Google) from Kobi's forum might be of interest to you: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200527
EDIT: I see you're active in it, so you know better than me how it is.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 07:04   #28217  |  Link
leonccyiu

There is a really informative thread about DXVA decoding on avsforum where Renethx who is the best forum member did extensive testing of patterns to determine what sort of techniques were being used.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...er-jriver.html

According to this post, intel has dedicated hardware scalers and provides the best scaling similar to lanczos and ar, while amd and nvidia are using bi-linear and shaders.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l#post23847902
leonccyiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 07:09   #28218  |  Link
leonccyiu

Possibility of integrating madvr into web browsers

Since Chrome and Firefox are based on open source code projects, is it possible that in future, madvr can be implemented as an option as a video renderer since most video is now delivered using html5 and rendered by the browser now.

Right now, almost all web video is scaled using billinear and does not take advantage to dxva scaling, for those with high res monitors, such as even when watching 4k youtube on the 5k imac, it makes the picture very soft and blurred.

This would allow web video such as vimeo, youtube, and any page with html5 video to be rendered with madvr for much better quality.

An obstacle I see though is madvr is 32bit and chrome is moving onto 64bit
leonccyiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 09:27   #28219  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonccyiu View Post
Since Chrome and Firefox are based on open source code projects, is it possible that in future, madvr can be implemented as an option as a video renderer since most video is now delivered using html5 and rendered by the browser now.
It would be very cool.
madVR is a DirectShow filter and accessible to any application. So it's not related specifically to madVR - to get madVR supported in browsers, those browsers should just start supporting DirectShow.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 10:11   #28220  |  Link
makz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
What are you displaying to test in MPC-HC+madVR?
AVS HD test patterns
In MPC-HC i watching 16-235 in Grayscale Steps. As I understand it, the range is not affected on clipping

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling