Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 30th January 2005, 23:21   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Jump2Pgc 1.54 - Jump straight to Main Menu / Title after First Play PGC

download

HTML guide, for v1.47, hosted by r0lZ. (Mirror 1)

1/30/2005: PgcEdit v0.4.8 used at this time.
1/31/2005: All links to guide are current and updated.
2/7/2005: [NOTE] If a unset GPRM is not found, go ahead and use one that has been set. That GPRM in question will be set to what it supposed to be after importing anyway.

4/4/2005: v1.49 out. Added ability to edit/create SetSTN and SetHL_BTN commands after importing. Can jump to VMGMs now.

Last edited by 2COOL; 13th May 2005 at 07:46.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 05:39   #2  |  Link
jeanl

2COOL your link seems to be broken!
This one works:
http://home.tiscali.be/debie.roland/...gc%20Guide.htm

Jeanl
Old 31st January 2005, 06:27   #3  |  Link
2COOL

That's my old guide.
Old 2nd February 2005, 18:50   #4  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hey 2COOL:
Thanks for this bungee jumping guide for dummies(me too) .

I'm doing the "deep analysis" and making a second pass on your guide.

A leetle help please:

I happen to like the THX just before the movie! I usually clip it to 10 seconds with VOBblanker. Allows me to be intuned and plunked me butt down.

Currently I'm backing up with THX->movie->menu. I know the strategy is quite different for in yours the gprms are set NOT to display the THX......

edited: the preferred flow.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:26   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Surf
Currently I'm backing up with THX->movie->menu. I know the strategy is quite different for in yours the gprms are set NOT to display the THX......
A common DVD usually goes in this flow. (I'll use your example) THX -> MENU -> MOVIE. If THX came before the MENU, then it would be considered like an intro. I would just do my jumps to the THX's playback and let the DVD control it from there.

BUT, your preferred flow is THX -> MOVIE. Did you previously have your menus in-between? My first assumption is that you did but wanted to have your movie play first and then menu. If FP PGC -> BYPASSED MATERIALS-> THX -> MENU -> MOVIE is really how your DVD flows, then it would be easy to say, just jump to your THX clip.

The thing about coming up with Jump2PGC was that, it was done with the assumption that it fell into a DVD with a "normal" flow, FP PGC -> STUFF -> MAIN MENU -> MOVIE. I left some room for creative users, a.k.a. Advanced Users to use PgcEdit's macros with Jump2PGC to produce what you really want.

There is a way to do what you want but I don't think Jump2PGC will help you entirely on it. You could directly jump to your Movie and then use PgcEdit's "Import First-Play (startup) clip" macro in regards to your THX.
Old 2nd February 2005, 21:09   #6  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Sorry, I wasn't precise:

Original flow: FP PGC>>blah-blah-blah>>Main Menu>>THX>>movie>>Main Menu.

Desired flow: FP PGC>>THX>>movie>>Main Menu.

"...I don't think Jump2PGC will help you entirely on it." <<< I know at least that much .

Now what's this PGCedit's "Import First-Play(@startup) clip" you're talking about......? .
Old 2nd February 2005, 21:15   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't precise:

Original flow: FP PGC>>blah-blah-blah>>Main Menu>>THX>>movie>>Main Menu.

Desired flow: FP PGC>>THX>>movie>>Main Menu.

So, THX comes before the movie. Most likely it's a Title. Have you jumped to that Title? That'll satisfy your requirement on FP PGC > THX.

Quote:
"...I don't think Jump2PGC will help you entirely on it." <<< I know at least that much
It should now that I know what you are working with. (fingers crossed)

Last edited by 2COOL; 3rd February 2005 at 00:26.
Old 2nd February 2005, 21:26   #8  |  Link
jeanl

In my experience, it's usually a title, you're right 2COOL...
Jeanl
Old 3rd February 2005, 18:41   #9  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

You guys are just too kewl, worked like a charm, flawless!

My fault for not reading thoroughly, heck the train ride home's just too short .

What I missed not once(Jeanl's) but twice(2COOL's) was the capturing of what gprms are NEEDED to be set before playing the desired THX or menu or movie. Jean, that's why I requested you to change that particular picture on STEP#4(I think)in which the dropdown covered up most of the pre-command screen.

Mucho thankyous.

Now just for the heck of it, I'll try to muck it up for there's another clip after THX and just before the movie. I suppose adapting to the capture thingy would work just well..... .
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:12   #10  |  Link
2COOL

<whew> I'm glad it worked for you.
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:28   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Now just for the heck of it, I'll try to muck it up for there's another clip after THX and just before the movie. I suppose adapting to the capture thingy would work just well..... .
In fact, the process can be adapted to jump from any point in the DVD to any other point. But it's a little bit complicated to explain. Maybe someone here can write a guide.

Basically, you have to trace to the starting point, then clear the register changed flags, and continue the trace to the target point. Now, copy the changed registers, and insert them in the starting PGC, followed by a jump to the target PGC.
Of course, it may be more complicated if the starting PGC is called from many places, at many occasions, or if the ending point is not in the same titleset...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:34   #12  |  Link
jeanl

r0lZ,
I'm afraid that can't really work in most cases, because you could arrive at the starting point with very different registers under different circumstances. Then our idea of replicating new register values in the target point wouldn't work because the new register values would normally depend on the values at the starting point.

The reason why it works when we start from DVD insert is because we know the values of the registers at insert time, 0. So we know the register values in the target point will always be the same...

I think that's what you mean when you say "Of course, it may be more complicated if the starting PGC is called from many places, at many occasions:, right?
Jean
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:37   #13  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
In fact, the process can be adapted to jump from any point in the DVD to any other point. But it's a little bit complicated to explain. Maybe someone here can write a guide.

Basically, you have to trace to the starting point, then clear the register changed flags, and continue the trace to the target point. Now, copy the changed registers, and insert them in the starting PGC, followed by a jump to the target PGC.
Of course, it may be more complicated if the starting PGC is called from many places, at many occasions, or if the ending point is not in the same titleset...
r0lZ,
in a earlier beta, I did implement a jump from play button to main title and it worked. Problem was, like you mentioned, there were other factors to consider like what if the user used the chapter selections first? So, I took out that feature. Basically I was jumping from the immediate PGC after pressing play to the Title PGC.

The other stuff, if I have time, I wanted to do was jumping from end of movie to whatever menu.
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:55   #14  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, I know that the method to jump from any point may be tricky.
However, if you want to remove for example the THX logo played after your root manu and before the main title, it should work. If some registers are changed when the THX logo is played, you will set them correctly before starting the movie. All other registers will be left untouched.
Anyway, in this simple case, it is quicker and better to simply kill playback of the THX logo.
Old 3rd February 2005, 20:03   #15  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:

However, if you want to remove for example the THX logo played after your root manu and before the main title, it should work. If some registers are changed when the THX logo is played, you will set them correctly before starting the movie. All other registers will be left untouched.
wait, even in that case it's not that simple!!!! Imagine the THX postcommands do this:
gprm(3) = gprm(1) + gprm(2)

In normal DVD playback gprm(3) will not always end with the same value at the start of the movie, depending on what gprm(1) and gprm(2) are, right? However, with our copy/replace gprm technique, gprm(3) would be set once and for all to a given value that would not depend on gprm(1) and gprm(2). This, of course, is wrong.

I'm not saying this will happen in practice, I'm just saying that I can't see a truly bullet-proof way to make it work, as is the case for DVD-insert -> Main movie jump.

Jeanl
Old 3rd February 2005, 20:17   #16  |  Link
2COOL

@r0lZ

In your unused GPRM algorithm, I know it's looking for Set commands. But per chance, with a example unused GPRM(3), that these commands could possibly exist?
Code:
[00 21 00 02 00 03 00 05]  1  if ( gprm(2) == gprm(3) ) then { Goto line 5 }

or

[00 A1 00 03 00 00 00 05]  1  if ( gprm(3) == 0 ) then { Goto line 5 }
Is it looking for commands like these too?

Last edited by 2COOL; 3rd February 2005 at 20:23.
Old 3rd February 2005, 20:29   #17  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@jeanl
Right. It's possible, but seems not usual.
Of course, I repeat, the method is only theorical. I can imagine many situations where it could be difficult to use it.

@2COOL
Yes, the Find Unused GPRM method translate all commands to text format and search for litteral "gprm(*)" inside them. So, whenever you see the word gprm in a command, that gprm will be counted.
Old 3rd February 2005, 20:33   #18  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Yes, the Find Unused GPRM method translate all commands to text format and search for litteral "gprm(*)" inside them. So, whenever you see the word gprm in a command, that gprm will be counted.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 3rd February 2005, 20:35   #19  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanl
I'm not saying this will happen in practice, I'm just saying that I can't see a truly bullet-proof way to make it work, as is the case for DVD-insert -> Main movie jump.
IMO, I have strong confidence that it can be foolproof if there was an unused GPRM lying around.
Old 9th April 2005, 15:33   #20  |  Link
Tobii

Sorry guys, only paint a short question.
It is possible sometime, also adjusting jump2pgc to VMG menus ?
One then shouldn't always correct manually.

Nevertheless...nice and helpful tool !
Tobii is offline   Reply With Quote