Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 10th June 2003, 20:52   #161  |  Link
Marc FD
XviD fan

lol, no pb i will simply keep it here then :/

i've exams and no time to clean the code, and i hate to release dirty code... that's how i am.

and for my filters, they are not GPL until i'll release the source (under GPL) that's as simple as that.

i've not enough time to code, so i'm not gonna spend time on that stuff ^^;

for huffyuv my work was mean as clean as possible (okay looks like a hack on some aspects ^^) and it was pretty easy to do, so i think i'll release with code when i would have finished beta-testing, it's sad that the guy who did it is gone, i would prefer to give him the code directly. btw i don't think it's compatible at all with ffmpeg's yv12 huffyuv, but it seemed the faster and simple way to implement it :]

bye,
marc
Marc FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 10:02   #162  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc FD
i've exams and no time to clean the code, and i hate to release dirty code... that's how i am.

and for my filters, they are not GPL until i'll release the source (under GPL) that's as simple as that.
Dirty code is at least code. If it's out there it's just so much more social for ppl who're having problems with it. I am working on a player mimicking Sasami2K (planning stage, see my sig ), because the original has bugs, the author disappeared (has no time for coding anymore because he has a job), and no source was ever released . Luckily there is MPC to use as a basis, but still there is going to be some duplicate work. Please consider this, nobody cares about how messy your code is, if ppl want to work on it then they'll accept that. And I think that's a pretty big compliment to a coder.
mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 17:25   #163  |  Link
Si
Simply me

@MarcFD
While people are actively developing GPL code, others don't mind if the source is withheld for a short while although this is against the GPL.

But if a GPL binary is not being actively developed then the GPL source code should be released no matter what the state.

Its how we got to the current position with all the GPL programs available (such as Avisynth itself).

Your only choices are to follow the copyright you agreed to when you released your modfied Huffyuv codec or to violate it.

regards

Simon
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 18:49   #164  |  Link
outlyer

Quote:
Originally posted by siwalters
@MarcFD
While people are actively developing GPL code, others don't mind if the source is withheld for a short while although this is against the GPL.

But if a GPL binary is not being actively developed then the GPL source code should be released no matter what the state.

Its how we got to the current position with all the GPL programs available (such as Avisynth itself).

Your only choices are to follow the copyright you agreed to when you released your modfied Huffyuv codec or to violate it.
This doesn't seems totally correct reading the FAQs at gnu's site.
As I understood it, you don't need to publish the code as long as you're using it privately so, at the initial development stages, even if it gets stalled, there's no need to publish it.

Of course, if he abandons development, it would be nice to publish the code.
outlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 19:17   #165  |  Link
Si
Simply me

Quote:
As I understood it, you don't need to publish the code as long as you're using it privately so, at the initial development stages, even if it gets stalled, there's no need to publish it.
Agreed.

My comments only apply to published binaries derived from GPL works.

regards
Simon
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 20:12   #166  |  Link
MfA

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc FD
So we have an implicit license to incorporate any and all of your code in closed source programs then? Anything else would be hypocritical now.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 21:14   #167  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

Stop this off-topic discussion now! If any software is announced here, that violates any licenses it is in violation of rule 6, and will be treated as such. If you need to discuss moral issues, do it in the general disussion forum!
Old 5th July 2003, 02:24   #168  |  Link
Longinus

I'm having a strange BUG using VBLE. I looked around for any msgs talking about it, but I didn't find any... so I'm posting this..

I'm getting a very strange yellow vertical bar (about 1 pixel long) in the left side of the video. This happens only when I open it in virtualdub. Playing in MP is normal. Some video programs show a white bar, instead of yellow (combustion 2).

Another thing that helps is using an Avisynth script to convert to yuv2 or rgb. But this is probably time-consuming and reduces quality.

I've checked in VirtualDub, and it is using the right decoder, VBLE, so what can it be?

Thanks.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 02:45   #169  |  Link
Kurosu

That's a very well-known bug in XviD YV12->RGB conversion. You see the line, but it isn't actually there in the raw (YV12) data: if you crop on the left, it will still be there! I think it was fixed, and only available in newest "alpha" builds (less than 2 weeks) of XviD. Or maybe it still isn't yet available. In the end, that's not a problem with VBLE. (Very Buggy/Beta Lossless Encoder? )

Offtopic, the more and more I read this thread, the more I think it would fit more in the "New A/V codecs" forums (seeing how VBLE is refered to by pointing at this thread).
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 09:28   #170  |  Link
Koepi

My latest XviD build (26062003-1) incorporates sysKin's fix of the color space conversion. Download & install it, the yellow line will be gone.

Regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 10:01   #171  |  Link
AmiRage

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi
My latest XviD build (26062003-1) incorporates sysKin's fix of the color space conversion. Download & install it, the yellow line will be gone.
You mean 24062003-1? Or where can I find this newer build?
AmiRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 10:04   #172  |  Link
Koepi

Sorry, of course i typed wrong there. XviD-24062003-1.exe is my latest build.

Regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 00:19   #173  |  Link
Longinus

Yep, this helps. Thanks!!

This post, is somewhat off-topic, like kuroso said... But I didn't find anywhere else to ask VBLE questions.

By the way, VBLE is a nice codec. I was using huffyuv to save some rendered 3D animation. But with vble I get the almost exact quality (a little bit darker), and sometimes half the size of Huffyuv. Thanks for it Marc.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 13:39   #174  |  Link
maciek_m

Same impressions like Longinus. Good job

However, is there a newer version of VBLE (the beta version I downloded has been out for several months now).

And, perhaps a newbie's, problem:
I can't access the config option when selecting this codec in VDub(Mod) in capture mode.

VDub does not let me set the YV12 4:2:0 in the "set custom format". So I have to use YUY2 4:2:2.

Perhaps it has something to do with my capture device Radeon 9000 VIVO?
maciek_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 13:45   #175  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
However, is there a newer version of VBLE (the beta version I downloded has been out for several months now).
Nope. The coder is gone, and the source is not available

Quote:
VDub does not let me set the YV12 4:2:0 in the "set custom format". So I have to use YUY2 4:2:2.
You don't want to capture in YV12 with vble anyway, since it has no interlace option. Meaning it assumes YV12 progressive, and you will get chroma upsampling artefacts.

btw, it implies that your capture card can't do the yuy2->yv12 conversion, and hence can't output yv12.

Last edited by Wilbert; 6th April 2004 at 13:48.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 20:47   #176  |  Link
bill_baroud

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbert
Nope. The coder is gone, and the source is not available
i think he's still lurking around here

dunno if he's still coding or anything, but he could perhaps release the source code
bill_baroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 21:08   #177  |  Link
mf
·

I guess he'll just use the age-old excuse that his code is too dirty or whatnot to release it. Afaik he's only released the source to 2 of all his filters, so I wouldn't really count on it. Quite unnecessary, cause his filters are quite great actually (oxymoron? quite = relative, great = absolute), and the sourcecode can't be too bad.
mf is offline   Reply With Quote