Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th September 2002, 16:26   #61  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

@int 21h

I too seen problems using SimpleResize with SVCD/XVCD/KVCD's but after using the nice FitCD app for my resizing the problem went away. You must have "macroblock aligned" turned on in FitCD and the jaggies mostly go away in my experience.

Lanczos3 looks very appealing from reading all the feedback. Time for some testing and finish my Convolution3D tests up too.
Old 15th September 2002, 00:56   #62  |  Link
iago
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi
I'm mostly impressed by the nice color representation of lanczos3... To bad that compressability lowers about 10%-15%...
Yep, Koepi. Unfortunately . 'Cause, it's really impressing imho too...

But I guess I'll still give Matrix a try with lanczos3, cutting down on audio, throwing some light convolution3d on it, beating the black-enemy-blocks with ColorYUY2, and aiming for 1XCD .

@MaTTeR

I'm impatiently waiting for your test results...

kindest regards,
iago
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2002, 23:42   #63  |  Link
Metalazzo

I just try on 1 min of the movie "the game"
encoded with xvid at quant 2 to see how many Bytes i could save
I tryed :
-bicubic resize (bicubicresize(x,y)) (13MB)
-bicubic resize + convolution3D(0,4,4,4,4,3,0) (11.3MB)
-lanczos resize (15.2MB)
-lanczos resize + convolution3D(0,4,4,4,4,3,0) (13.3MB)

i am very surprised of the quality of the lanczos resize : the picture is very detailed but the clip is too big
with lanczos resize and conv3d the result is also quite good : I think it's sharper than bicubic alone

conclusion : convolution3d and lanczos resize match very well

for the pics it's here :
http://membres.lycos.fr/metalazzo/thegame.zip

ps : sorry for the copy paste
ps2 : sorry for the crappy english
Metalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2002, 01:42   #64  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

@Metalazzo

I've also decided to use the C3D and Lanczos for most of my rips now based on a few tests I've done on Salton Sea and Rose Red. What settings did you use for BicubicResizing tests? SoftBicubic?
Old 16th September 2002, 03:10   #65  |  Link
Metalazzo

@MaTTeR

no, i used a "simple" bicubicresize without any parameters more than res x and res y (bicubicresize(x,y))
i'll try with a soft bicubic tomorrow (well that's this afternoon...damn already 4:12 am)
Old 16th September 2002, 04:23   #66  |  Link
cdrips

I was testing this filter out. I watched the whole movie I encoded with it. The Ice Storm, XVID, h263 quants and this resize filter. No other filters. For 3 scenes of the movie, it gave me a blank screen with sound still going, then it corrected itself. Is it possible the filter did this? Or maybe something else. I've watched other movies I've encoded w/ bicubic. None have this problem, same methods. Is it just the dvd? Any suggestions of how to avoid this problem or check any other encodes for this problem (besides watching the whole movie).
cdrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 01:20   #67  |  Link
ErMaC
Lurker in Training

Is this new resizing filter appropriate for both upsizing and downsizing of footage? Also, how does it perform on animated footage?
ErMaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 08:39   #68  |  Link
Koepi

@Ermac:

Yes, if you'd read this thread and followed the links you'd know it's not only for upscaling, but since you know the forum rules you already found that yourself and just asked to see if you understood it correctly, right?
And: just test it on anime to find out if it works for you.

@cdrips:

No, a RESIZE filter doesn't do that, you could guess that from the RESIZE functionality that in the RESIZE filter name.
Is ther eany ASYNC mode involved? No. It's something wrong with your setup and / or your rip.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 11:27   #69  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

I merged the algorithm into Avisynth (thanks to vlad) - it works fine, and at the exact same quality as Nic's filter, after I found a rounding bug also affecting Bicubic/Bilinear.

I called it LanczosResize - to avoid any conflicts.

Anyone interested can grab it at the cvs bin site
Old 17th September 2002, 11:41   #70  |  Link
iago
retired

-> I merged the algorithm into Avisynth (thanks to vlad) - it works fine, and at the exact same quality as Nic's filter, after I found a rounding bug also affecting Bicubic/Bilinear... I called it LanczosResize - to avoid any conflicts.(sh0dan)

That's really great! Thanks a lot.

best regards,
iago

EDIT: And it seems it works faster now! (came right before I was starting a rip with Nic's lanczos3.dll )

Last edited by iago; 17th September 2002 at 11:54.
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 11:57   #71  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

I can confirm the speed increase - Nic's runs with 22-23fps and the internal filter runs with 24-25fps - great thing!

There should actually also be a speed increase in Bilinear/BicubicResize, so everyone seems to gain from this.

Last edited by sh0dan; 17th September 2002 at 11:59.
sh0dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 15:33   #72  |  Link
ErMaC
Lurker in Training

Koepi, yes I did read this whole thread and I just re-read it to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I followed the links and I never saw anyone mention explicitly whether it was good for both upsizing and downsizing (although I admit I only skimmed the autodub thread). The only hint that it might be good for upsizing was the superman image comparison, which was an upsize but on something of that size I have no idea if it would scale to larger images the same way. All the other posts have been concerning downsizing. Therefore, I asked the question. Please point out if I missed something but I honestly looked through the whole thread to see if anyone specifically pointed out an answer to my question.
And I asked about animation because I'm in the middle of packing to move and I'm currently stuck on a laptop so I couldn't test this stuff very easily anyway.
ErMaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2002, 22:43   #73  |  Link
cdrips

Sorry, I just thought that if a resize like simpleresize with the green line if not div by 4 could mess with a picture, another resize filter could also. Maybe because of dvd decrypter?
Old 17th September 2002, 23:14   #74  |  Link
trbarry

FWIW, if you still get the green line on SimpleResize you should download a newer one. That's been fixed for some time now.

- Tom

www.trbarry.com/SimpleResize.zip
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2002, 00:59   #75  |  Link
cdrips

trbarry, thanks for the link, I didn't know you fixed it already. Could my problem be a result of the playback filter? For 3 moements, sound goes while picture replaced by blackness, then picture comes back.

Last edited by cdrips; 18th September 2002 at 01:03.
Old 18th September 2002, 01:33   #76  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

hi,

@ermac
if i am right ? (sorry my english was very poor and i don't have understand all your post) u want to know if this resize filter was good for anime ?
as koepi say u must do some test to see if this is good for you but the lanczos filter keep a lot of details because it was sharp this will of course increase noise and your movie will be less compressible and finaly this will increase your finale size.
i am not sure this filter was usefull for animations, but u can try with filters, simply make tests

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2002, 03:04   #77  |  Link
Metalazzo

i agree with Dark-Cracker
lanczos resize will keep more noise than bicubic
i tested it on a movie with xvid (quant 2 to see the difference)
the file (1min) was 15MB instead of 13MB with bicubic
more details but....more noise also
maybe if your source is really really clean then you can try....i will try it with a gundam wing dvd (actually there is a lot of mosquito noise)
without noise remover only resize
maybe i will post some pics if ppl are interested
Old 18th September 2002, 07:53   #78  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally posted by ErMaC
Is this new resizing filter appropriate for both upsizing and downsizing of footage? Also, how does it perform on animated footage?
Hint:
For upsizing more than a little bit, use Bicubic(x,y,0.333.0.333), perhaps even (x,y,0.5,0),
followed by - - Warpsharp!

(But don´t tell neuron2, for heaven´s sake)

Sorry, Donald

Have a second look at the "superman-upscales": ALL of them are c-r-a-p.

[After some years of digital still image processing...]

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2002, 14:08   #79  |  Link
Metalazzo

well just finished to encode a gundam ep
the video file size was the same (around 186MB) BUT the average quality was better with bicubic
lanczos resize keeping more details and more noise makes impossible to have lots of frames at drf 2
so if for you file size is not a problem you should try....else stick with bicubic
Old 18th September 2002, 14:28   #80  |  Link
kilg0r3
! - User - !

also made a short test yesterday. the difference in file size between sharp bicubic and lanczos was some 2 percent to the favour of lanczos. but a frame per frame comparison of the resized source material shows that the difference between the frames is very and i mean VERY small. the lanczos-resized images seem to have slightly more contrast.

i can provide screenshots if anybody is interested

Last edited by kilg0r3; 18th September 2002 at 14:35.
kilg0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote