Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 15th May 2019, 04:05   #1  |  Link
Perenista

I can't edit Blu-ray subtitles (.sup) and add specific delays

I'm having trouble finding a subtitle editor that will properly edit .sup files the way I want it to. All I want to do is adjust the timing of the subtitles, but in sections (i.e. delay the first 160 subs by -180ms, and then the next 50 by -300ms, etc.) I've tried BDSup2Sub512 and it has an option for delaying subtitles, but it's only capable of delaying every single subtitle in the file as opposed to delaying select amounts of subs; it's either delay all of the subs or nothing.

Here's the thing:

- I want to add 13500 ms of positive delay from 0 second to (59 minutes and 46 seconds) into the movie. Meaning the first line will start 13.5 seconds later.

At 59m47s I want to add another positive delay of 115 000 ms, so the next line will start at 1h:01m:42s instead, therefore the rest of them will start later, too.

It's quite frustrating, as this seems like a relatively simple task that I should easily be able to accomplish.

So is there a program that will allow me to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

As you can see I was able to do what I wanted for the first 59 minutes.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 09:11   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

If you can't find a software that does this on a single subtitle file try a workaround: split into 2 files, delay second track and re-append.

I think MKVToolNix should be able to do it.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 14:44   #3  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
If you can't find a software that does this on a single subtitle file try a workaround: split into 2 files, delay second track and re-append.

I think MKVToolNix should be able to do it.
This isn't going to work because a) I am dealing with a 20 GB file, so it would take forever to do multiple cuts (and re-append) since I am doing multiple edits, and b) MKVToolnix doesn't cut the files where we tell it to do, it does that only on keyframes.

In other words if you ask it to cut at the moment 1 hour, 5 minutes and 20 seconds it might disregard your instruction and do it at 1h05m15s or 1h05m25s for example.
Old 15th May 2019, 21:56   #4  |  Link
Perenista

I managed to do what I asked by doing what sneaker_ger suggested. But it took quite some time and I had to reduce the filesize to less than 1 GB using Sony VEGAS for a reencode that took 95% of the image quality. With help from MKVToolnix and this program:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/B...b/old-versions

Which also needs Java installed. I used to add a positive and negative delay to the subtitle. Then I splitted using MKVToolnix, and appended again when I had to. This idea worked because I only had to do a few edits, but it wouldn't work with more than that.

As for keyframes I managed to do since between scenes I had a few seconds, so I could instruct MKVToolnix to cut 5 seconds before and don't worry when it was actually going to cut. Of course I also had to calculate how much delay I had to add, and check if it was in sync after I reinserted the edited subtitle files (.SUP) into the Matroska again.

The whole thing is now synchronized, from start to finish, with this new subtitle.

Anyway, it's a shame this can't be done the same way I do with SRTs.
Old 15th May 2019, 22:30   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Can't you simply un-tick the video track in MKVToolNix to speed up the operation?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 23:24   #6  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Can't you simply un-tick the video track in MKVToolNix to speed up the operation?
I had to watch in my monitor the video + audio + subtitle, to check if the delay is correct. I reduced the filesize to less than 500 MB and poor quality but had to insert an audio track in it. You see, even if you know how much delay you need to add you also need to find out if the subtitle is fading or appearing at a precise time. If not you need to do it again and insert -500 for example (for it to appear 0.5 second before).

All of this need to be checked before you re-append all parts.

This idea can be done quickly, yet with SRT subtitles I can do all my editing in Windows Notepad, by removing the first 59 minutes and then saving (and inserting the first 59 minutes elsewhere, to paste later).

The problem with SUP subtitles is that opening them in Subtitle-Edit will force you to do an OCR.

And that process is never accurate, takes too much time/work to correct errors. In other words I had to insert delays in the raw subtitles (from the Blu-ray), without any conversion.