Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th June 2010, 00:58   #3241  |  Link

Aero rendering path seems worse.

Render time is slightly improved by 1-2ms average, max is unchanged. Not enough to move up to spline/lanczos from bicubic.
Present time increases from 0.2ms to 0.8ms

10 minutes into a film and aero has dropped 5 frames using settings that drop/delay none with it off.

Display: 48.001, Composition: 48.000 if it matters. Shouldn't with reclock.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 06:04   #3242  |  Link
namaiki

Using the special Aero rendering path, MadVR seems to act a bit more like EVR-CP in one test I did. 29.970 fps video on ~61.81Hz screen (Aero composition rate is reported as 60Hz) without Reclock, there is no longer stuttering and the video simply jumps a few times a second, like EVR-CP.

In the situation where the framerate of the video is matched to the refresh rate with Reclock, I lol gotta wait for a family member to come home so I can do a blind test.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 07:04   #3243  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
With primary at 60Hz and secondary at 24Hz (playback on secondary), I get a the typical nasty juddering Check out the stats and the queues and note the wrong detection of refresh rate (reclock reports it properly at 24Hz)
If you have wrong detection of refresh rate, then you probably started video playback on the primary monitor, afterwards moving the media player to the secondary monitor. As said a few posts ago, madVR currently doesn't handle this situation well. At the time when the video is loaded, madVR should already be on the right monitor.

That said, with a composition rate of 60Hz of course you must get 3:2 judder with 24Hz content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Aero rendering path seems worse.

Render time is slightly improved by 1-2ms average, max is unchanged. Not enough to move up to spline/lanczos from bicubic.
Present time increases from 0.2ms to 0.8ms

10 minutes into a film and aero has dropped 5 frames using settings that drop/delay none with it off.

Display: 48.001, Composition: 48.000 if it matters. Shouldn't with reclock.
Please try to lower the flush settings. The new special Aero rendering path gets along with lower flush settings. That might help improve things.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 07:31   #3244  |  Link
Hypernova

With the new Aero rendering path, it play smooth for a while and then start stuttering (or maybe judder, I'm not sure about the the difference). I didn't test this with all the flushing combinations yet, but it seems like the more it flush, the longer it could hold out before start stuttering.

I have the same wrong detection of refresh rate as noee said. I made sure MPC-HC is fullscreen on the secondary monitor before open the file.

Info: (changed from all my previous report, just in case you keep track)
(1) ATi 5770
(2) Windows Server 2008 R2
(3) Aero on
(4) 2560x1600/60Hz + 1920x1080/24p
(5) Dual monitor setup. 1st on DisplayPort, 2nd on HDMI

Due to the fact that I got to swap my 3870 with my friend's 5770 for this summer, I couldn't comment on loop vs. sleep after 0.18 since for single monitor setup, there is no need for any flush at all with 5770. I would put my vote on keeping the loop option though.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:21   #3245  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Hypernova, do you get smooth playback when deactivating the new Aero rendering path? And which exact display rate / composition rate are you getting? Do the numbers change if you disable the new rendering path?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:41   #3246  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Please try to lower the flush settings. The new special Aero rendering path gets along with lower flush settings. That might help improve things.
Well, the stats got worse when I did that. Flush, Sleep, Flush, Don't is still best by the numbers.

I did not leave it running to see if it still dropped frames though.
Should the numbers be accurate like this?
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:50   #3247  |  Link
namaiki

Stop looking at MadVR's OSD. With it enabled, even on my 9600M GT, there is a slight performance hit. Keep it off when looking for smoothness of video.

Last edited by namaiki; 16th June 2010 at 08:53.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:00   #3248  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
@Hypernova, do you get smooth playback when deactivating the new Aero rendering path?
No. It's stuttering like what people who choose not to use Aero. It's actually got better with a right combination of flushing, but it's still stuttering. I posted in a little bit more detail in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
If you play a smaller file in MPC-HC so that the seeking cursor is moving quite fast, you would see that when it stutter, the seeking cursor is also stutter with the video! I certainly think it's Aero, but I like Aero and madVR, so I have to find some other way instead of disable it.

In my case, Sync Renderer cannot solve this. However, exclusive mode get rid of this problem entirely! So I have high hope when madshi eventually implement it in madVR.

Edit: I should have mention that this is all with dual monitor with 60/24. With single setup I don't experience this issue. Also, it looks like using DVI on primary cause less problem than using DisplayPort. It's not entirely smooth, but less stuttering. 2nd is on HDMI.
That's what I meant to say when I read your post, but as I was trying to get the number, I found something different:

1. With new Aero path: It's stuttering as I said in previous post, but the seekbar cursor seems to be perfectly fine, unlike without new aero path. The best flushing combination for this seems to be some flush for all 4, probably with loop.

2. Without new Aero path: the video and seekbar cursor is stuttering so badly. But, here's the strange thing, if I open OSD, then it disappear! I can even disable OSD afterward. The cursor seems to be smooth, and the video as well. It's not perfectly smooth, but I think with a right combination of flushing (I'm on flush/sleep/no/no while testing) this may go away.

Quote:
And which exact display rate / composition rate are you getting?
59.85797Hz/60.000Hz

Quote:
Do the numbers change if you disable the new rendering path?
Yes. It's 24.9992Hz/60.000Hz

At least for me, I think you're actually close to nail down the Windowed Mode with Aero on. Keep up the good work!
Old 16th June 2010, 11:07   #3249  |  Link
Dhruv

Wow, I am blown away with the recent releases.. this works like a charm under my Optimus laptop setup after setting MPC-HC to use the "High performance card" within the Nvidia settings

Win7 x64, Core i5-430M, 1GB GT 325M, 257.15 Beta Drivers (though looks like new ones came out today!), CoreAVC (CUDA Enabled), 3dLut ticked.

Outputting 1080p MKV's to 1920x1080 via HDMI, using MPC's auto-refresh rate changer to change between 60hz, 50hz, 24p. Looks absolutely amazing and plays butter smooth using any of the scaling methods (<40% GPU usage according to GPU-Z).

I bought this laptop a few months ago and have been waiting for the day I can use MadVR.. with 0.18 and later + the new 257x drivers I am finally able to do so! (And yes, this is my first post after registering 5 years ago )
Dhruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:44   #3250  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
...At the time when the video is loaded, madVR should already be on the right monitor.
Yes, I have MPC-HC set up to always run on my secondary. With Aero OFF, everything works like a champ and refresh rate detection is correct.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:15   #3251  |  Link
mark0077

Does the renderer receive notifications of refresh rate changes, display changes that it could use to work when moved from one screen to another?
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:42   #3252  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Yes, I have MPC-HC set up to always run on my secondary...
How do you do this?
Thanks
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:06   #3253  |  Link
noee

@Peuj:
1. MPC-HC has a command line switch "/monitor" (check the Help/Command Line), but this is not reliable, I've found
2. When you close MPC-HC on the secondary, the next time it's opened, it will start there by default.
3. I also have a script(AutoHotkey) which opens MPC-HC and sets the "X" position. My secondary is in "Extend Desktop Mode".
I guess you could use about any scripting language to do something like that...

Code:
; Run MPC, mode=1, run on primary, otherwise, run on secondary
MPC_Start(mode=1) {
 global MPCPath

if (mode=1) {
  mX := 80, mY := 50
 }
 else {
  mX := 1950, mY := 50  
 }
 DetectHiddenWindows On
 IfWinNotExist ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW
 {
   MPC_GetEnv()
   Run, %MPCPath%,, Hide
   WinWait, ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW
 }
 WinRestore ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW
 WinMove, mX, mY
 WinActivate
 DetectHiddenWindows Off
 Return
}
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:24   #3254  |  Link
fps

Quote:
Which splitter are you using? Does it only occur when using the MPC HC internal m2ts splitter? What happens if you use Haali's splitter? Or when you remux to MKV? My best guess right now is that it's a splitter problem, which some decoders and some renderers can work around.
Quite possible.
Thanks for the hint! It really is the internal MPCHC splitter (which I used before). With Haali the stuttering playback problem is gone.
Muxing it to mkv also solves the playback issue, works both with Haali's and MPCHC's internal splitter.
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 14:21   #3255  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

I'm getting a lot of delayed frames with v0.19.

When I first installed it they were chronic, one every second or so. Then they got a bit better (and reclock was resyncing - flashing red/green, for some strange reason).

Then it got better again over 5 minutes. Now I get one every now and again, compared to none with v0.18.

They seem CPU related in some way, although my CPU does not seem any more stressed than before in Task Manager (yes, I know it misses short peaks).

Reducing the CPU load by turning off digital room correction for the audio, and overclocking the PC, seems to help, but not fix it completely. With v0.18 I could run the room correction with the PC at stock speeds, no issues.

The other strange thing was after installing v0.19, the first time playback was a total stuttery mess. Then I noticed the madVR stats were cutoff. The video was zoomed past 100%, despite Zoom Player being in fullscreen. Picking fullscreen again fixed it, and playback became smooth (but with delayed frames). I rebooted just in case, but still get occasional delayed frames - one every minute or two.

Has anyone else noticed these issues?

(1) GPU: ATI 2600XT
(2) OS: Windows W7 x64
(3) Movies: 1080p mkv files, 23.976 fps (obtained from blurays with eac3to)
(4) Display resolution + refresh rate: 1920x1080, 95.904hz Interlaced with PowerStrip
(5) Dual monitor setup, playing on secondary, Aero OFF
(6) Zoom Player
(7) Video decoder: ffdshow (VC1: wmv9), CoreAVC
(8) madVR 0.19, all stock settings (except levels), 3DLUT off.
(9) Reclock, no V-sync

Last edited by Mark_A_W; 16th June 2010 at 22:42.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:54   #3256  |  Link
LloydA

Yes, same here. After approx. 1 minute playback starts to stutter and never recovers.

(1) GPU: ATI 5450
(2) OS: Windows 7 x64
(3) Movies: 1080p mkv files, 23.976 fps (obtained from blurays with eac3to)
(4) Display: 1920x1080, 60Hz
(5) Dual monitor setup, playing on primary, Aero off
(6) MPC-HC
(7) Video decoder: ffdshow (VC1: libavcodec), CoreAVC
(8) madVR 0.19, all stock settings, 3DLUT off
(9) Reclock (WASAPI), no V-Sync
LloydA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 17:16   #3257  |  Link
Peuj

Thanks noee !!

I'll try it.
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 19:24   #3258  |  Link
janos666

Quote:
To be honest, I'm disappointed with the special Aero rendering path. I was hoping to get a much higher performance.
I tested it on my laptop and there is a slight performance increase. (It still can not handle anything but bilinear resize, but it is very close now. But bilinear is fine for a cheap TN display and TV shows...)

I don't really care about the performance (on my desktop PC). You are developing a renderer for quality enthusiasts. Where is the D3D Exclusive mode with DeepColor support?
(Ok, I do not have a 10 bit display anyway, yet. )
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 21:12   #3259  |  Link
Razoola

I just wonder if anyone else is getting the same incorrect refresh rate problem as myself and noee in a multi monitor setup on the secondary monitor using the new test aero renderer path? At least I'm on nvidia drivers and noee is on ati so we know its not some gpu maker driver issue.

On the other side however when I run MPC-HC with the win7 compatability setting 'disable desktop composition' (no aero) and not use the madvr test aero renderer path I'm getting 100% perfect playback. This is with the default flush settings and reclock with its vsync options disabled. In windowed mode I get no stuttering or tearing, in fullscreen on either primary or secondary monitor I also get no stuttering or tearing. From this respect madVR is working 100%, its just aero that kills it for me.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 21:52   #3260  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I just wonder if anyone else is getting the same incorrect refresh rate problem as myself and noee in a multi monitor setup on the secondary monitor using the new test aero renderer path? At least I'm on nvidia drivers and noee is on ati so we know its not some gpu maker driver issue.

On the other side however when I run MPC-HC with the win7 compatability setting 'disable desktop composition' (no aero) and not use the madvr test aero renderer path I'm getting 100% perfect playback. This is with the default flush settings and reclock with its vsync options disabled. In windowed mode I get no stuttering or tearing, in fullscreen on either primary or secondary monitor I also get no stuttering or tearing. From this respect madVR is working 100%, its just aero that kills it for me.
I do. I get a bad tearing when Aero off though, so that's not an option for me. I somehow found a workaround for at least my setup, as I described in my post from last page. You might wanna check it out.

Last edited by Hypernova; 16th June 2010 at 22:54.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling