Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 17th June 2003, 12:44   #1  |  Link
Shaggy999

WMP not playing OGM files correctly....

Hi, I searched around the forum and could not find the answer for this. I am having problems playing an ogm file. I decided I wanted to play around with ogg, so I took one of my movies that I had previously encoded to DivX and then re-ripped the audio track off of the VOB files. I converted the audio to a .ogg file, which plays fine in Windows Media Player. I then opened up the OggMux program and created the ogm file using the DivX movie file and the ogg file I created.

When I try to play it there is no video displayed (WMP acts as if I'm playing an audio track), there is no audio, and it says the track is 11 hours long when it should be only 90 minutes.

What should I do? Could it be a problem that the AVI file already had an audio track in it? My assumption is that the ogg muxer program would just be grabbing the video data and ignoring the audio data.
Shaggy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 12:51   #2  |  Link
Shaggy999

Well, it appears I've solved my problem. I used VirtualDub to create a new version of the avi w/ no audio in it and muxed that with the ogg..... plays great.
Old 17th June 2003, 20:54   #3  |  Link
Hiro2k
New Container Mod

I would recomend a new player like ZoomPlayer, I really like the way it has integrated so many OGM options into the player. For instance in the Language menu, you can select the subs, audio language, and even fastforward to the chapters you want.
Hiro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 20:39   #4  |  Link
Shaggy999

I can't rely on another player because it will not just be me watching these files, and some of the people watching are not as tech-savvy as me. I live in a quad and share internet & network resources w/ my quadmates so everyone watches these movies streamed off my file server. One of the people doesn't even know how to extract files from archives. To have them switching between WMP and another player would make some of their brains explode.

Anyway, I have ran into a new problem... I wanted to test integrating an AC3 file into an OGM file and have ran into some problems. I did a search and found out that I guess OGM doesn't support different formats muxed together yet? So I figured, ok.... I'll just do an OGM w/ JUST an AC3 track. But I am having difficult creating an "ac3-wav".

The instructions in oggmux says to create an ac3-wav in besweet, so I opened up besweet (er, ac3machine anyway) and told it to create an ac3-wav and after it's done it bloats a 282 448 KBit DD5.1 track -> 900 MB AC3 file that I told it to downsample to 320. And if I try to play the AC3 file all I get is clicking.

In addition, oggmux is looking for a .wav file and when I select ac3-wav in besweet it still outputs a .ac3 file. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did a search on here and google and the only information I've found is that someone else had troubles and said that besweet when selecting ac3-wav decodes it to .wav and then re-encodes it to .ac3 eventhough it's told not to or something?

Oh, and I have both the "audiofilters" pack and the ac3filter installed.

Anyway, I'm at work right now so I don't have the log file. I will post a logfile when I get home. But my main questions are:

1) How do I produce an ac3-file compatible w/ oggmux?
2) Why is the file bloating to 900 MB?
3) I read on here that the new version of ogg may now support muxing ac3 w/ ogg and I just want someone to confirm this is the case.

I'll post a log file when I get home tonight.

As a sidenote, is the morgan stream switcher a required install for doing multiple audio tracks in OGM or does the Ogg playing filters handle this itself? My assumption is that morgan stream switcher is only for dual-stream avi's w/ MP3. I have both installed and wasn't sure which is actually doing the work (or both). My reason for asking is merely for support w/ my quadmates when insalling CODECs on their systems.
Old 18th June 2003, 23:23   #5  |  Link
Shaggy999

Some more questions that popped into my head. I was wondering what kind of compatability DivX/Ogg/AC3 have on Mac?

One of my friends has a mac laptop and w/ files that I download in DivX format for PC he can play in mac and see the video, but no audio and he has to run this converter from apple to get the sound to play. But the DivX movies that I create he can't even get video. And now that I'm using Ogg I'm wondering if that is even compatible.
Old 18th June 2003, 23:43   #6  |  Link
Shaggy999

Oh, and one more question that might be related.... I'm assuming I don't have to have a DD5.1 output (analog or digital) in order to hear an AC3 track. My assumption is that DirectSound or something downmixes the tracks to 2.0 as it plays? Or maybe this is where my problem lies (that I don't have 5.1 audio system right now). I do have a 5.1 speaker setup, but my 5.1 sound card fried awhile back and so I'm just using stereo sound w/ another card that I had until I can replace it.
Old 19th June 2003, 01:00   #7  |  Link
Hiro2k
New Container Mod

Have you installed the AC3 filter? Also there is a plugin for Winamp that will allow you to play AC3 files in it. As for Besweet, you need to create an AC3 file with a WAV header. I'm not sure how to do that, so check the audio forum, that's where most of the talk took place. Also you can search in the New A/V.

As far as the player goes, I highly suggest ZoomPlayer or BSPlayer for OGM playback, they are not to difficult to understnand. I suggest you try them first, and then try to explain them to your friends.
Hiro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 03:26   #8  |  Link
Shaggy999

Yes, I have the AC3Filter installed. In fact, I can drag the raw AC3 file that I ripped off the DVD onto WMP player and it will play it. But after running it through AC3Machine/BeSweet it becomes unplayable.

As for creating an AC3 file w/ a wav header... I realize that part, the problem is figuring out how to do it. I selected ac3-wav and what I thought were all the right settings, but it just came out bloated and unplayable (and still a .ac3 file).

I am giving it one more try and if it doesn't work I'll post the log file from it tonight.