Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 28th December 2001, 16:33   #1  |  Link
jvalla

CCE Quality

As per my previous post, the quality of my finished product seems to be very blocky around anything that stands out or moves in the picture. ( Sopranos Season 1 Episode 6 50 Minutes 1 x 80 min cdr )

I am using the dvd2svcd software which rocks. Maybe my CCE settings are wrong. I am using average bitrate of 2050, max 2500 min 300.
Audio 128 and am doing a 3 pass and have tried a 4 pass. Same outcome. Maybe dvd2svcd is not passing over the settings correctly to CCE. Image quality priority I have tried at 17, 40, and 75 and get the same quality. I have tried this encode about 7 times following word for word the DOOM9 Guide. Any thoughts, thanks.
jvalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 17:15   #2  |  Link
robshot

use the method on my site

www.robshot.com

only 2 passes needed. guaranteed best quality.

robshot
Old 28th December 2001, 21:18   #3  |  Link
jvalla

Thanks for the info.
I have posted this question a couple of times and have read many many threads in this forum and I can't find an answer to this quality problem. I know there are a few people that use CCE and it would be a great help if someone could throw a couple of techniques out there to help out. Thanks.
jvalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 22:36   #4  |  Link
Stars556

Maybe just interlaced source ?!?

Hi jvalla,

maybe your source material is interlaced and you didn't deinterlace it for encoding in CCE (progressive frames option checked). Check your source VOBs with DVD2AVI. Load the VOBs and press F5 for preview. Watch the stream information window on the right side ...

CCE should give you good image quality, especially in 4 pass VBR ...

Stars556
Stars556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2001, 00:52   #5  |  Link
Uli
XviDiver ;)

Try increasing the max. bitrate. Take a CD/RW and test the maximum bitrate your player accepts. I have the maximum at 3500 kBit/sec, coz my Yamakawa plays this bitrate just fine Very seldom i have blocks...
Only Terminator 1 SE, coz of bad source material with noise and scratches in the original film...

greetz, Uli

Last edited by Uli; 29th December 2001 at 00:58.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 23:01   #6  |  Link
Stabmaster-Arson

The Sopranos are progrssive and anamorphic widescreen. I have the same issues. I just encoded season 3 episode 2 with cce 2.64, 3 pass, average 2050 min 1700 max 2500, using nt4 SP5 compatibility mode on windows 2000.

My avisynth file looks like this

loadplugin(mpeg2dec.dll)
avisource(c:\sop\sop.d2v)
bicubicresize(480,360)
addborders(0,60,0,60)
resampleaudio(44,100)
I left all other cce settings default except the one where you slide it left to put more bits for complex scene, i moved it a little left.

I did 3 passes and it was very very fast, about 1 hour 30 minute onmy dual P3 800 machine.

The output quality is terrible. An when I say terrible I do not mean that someone else may look at it and thik it looks good, I mean anyone looking at it would instantly recognize it as being terrible. It is unclear and has kind of a ghosting or rippling effect around edges.
I encoded episode 301 using tmpgenc, 2 pass, let tmpgenc do all the resizing for me with the same bitrates. It took 25 hours to do (Which is an issue for another forum), but the final quality is fantastic.

Is there something im missing here?

I really enjoy the speed of the compression but it won't do me any good if I can't get the quality.
Stabmaster-Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2002, 03:01   #7  |  Link
DVD__GR

To Uli URGENT:I have also YAMAKAWA as you.have you unlocked the preferences menu?If you know plase help me!!!!Mine cant play mini-dvd's.I wonder if you have tried yours.

To jvalla:
Go to advanced settings in cinemacraft.set image quality priority to
Putting and an anti noise at 6 wouldn't be bad.test and reply.
Wonder if I helped??
DVD__GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2002, 12:12   #8  |  Link
Uli
XviDiver ;)

@DVD__GR:

You have a new pm.

greetz, Uli
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote