Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 22nd February 2009, 21:38   #1  |  Link
BatKnight

Crop VC1 video from m2ts without reencoding

Hi,

I have a m2ts file from a blu ray that I demuxed to a vc1 file. The thing is that the video is 1920x1080 but the AR is 2.35:1, so they have black bars on the video.
Is there a way to edit the vc1 file or the m2ts file to crop the black bars without going through a reeconding process? I would really like to keep the video quality untouched, just croppin the black bars.

Thanks

Bat
BatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:20   #2  |  Link
idbirch2

No, you can't do that without a re-encode. But why would you want to? Are you viewing BluRay content on a non-1080p or non-720p display?
idbirch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:31   #3  |  Link
BatKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
No, you can't do that without a re-encode. But why would you want to? Are you viewing BluRay content on a non-1080p or non-720p display?
No, I am watching it on a FullHD LCD. It's just a matter of overhead. I am demuxing the m2ts file to remove the unwanted sound tracks and subtitles, and then mux it into a mkv container.
Cropping or not, the video will look the same way on my screen... just wanted to be more effective size-wise.

Thanks for your reply.

Bat
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:44   #4  |  Link
nwg

It won't look the same though. The TV will stretch the picture vertically as the black bars are part of the 1080p. Everything will look tall and thin without them.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:44   #5  |  Link
BatKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post
It won't look the same though. The TV will stretch the picture vertically as the black bars are part of the 1080p. Everything will look tall and thin without them.
No it won't. I have MPC-HC to touch window from inside and keep aspect ratio so on a 2.35:1 file the black bars are provided by MPC-HC

Bat
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:54   #6  |  Link
idbirch2

Even if you could do this (which you can't) and you get around the aspect ratio thing, the black bars really take up very little of the video bitrate, you'd probably reduce the size of the video stream by a few MB.
idbirch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:35   #7  |  Link
BatKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
Even if you could do this (which you can't) and you get around the aspect ratio thing, the black bars really take up very little of the video bitrate, you'd probably reduce the size of the video stream by a few MB.
OK, then no more worries on my side.
Thanks for your support.

Bat