Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 18th May 2004, 23:47   #1  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

improving quality w/Rebuilder (CCE)?

I have a (legit) dvd movie that was made from a VHS. The quality is pretty poor - grainy, some static, and artifacts. Are any of you familiar enough w/CCE (basic) to suggest some filter settings to improve the visual quality? I have DVDRebuilder (w/CCE) and I am wondering if some of the filters in CCE may be applied to do this?

thanks
archaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2004, 04:46   #2  |  Link
DocDragon
"Free your mind..."

maybe this thread could be of help to you...

DD
Old 19th May 2004, 04:56   #3  |  Link
quantum

I don't have CCE Basic, but if I recall correctly from other posts, the 'natural picture' preset is in there. I don't know if the ECL values are the same. What you can do to check is:

- Start and abort an encode so you get an item.ecl
- Open item.ecl in CCE Basic and activate the 'natural picture' preset
- Save as something else, like itemnew.ecl
- Do a comparison of item.ecl and itemnew.ecl

Let me know what the differences are and I'll add the info to the original thread.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2004, 14:18   #4  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

quantum,

there's a 'natural picture' checkbox in the CCE basic template tab - couldn't I just activate that at the very beginning of the process, instead of going into .ecl folder to activate? However I recall in your earlier post you mention that the CCE internal filters are not much use... So there is a difference between using the 'natural picture' checkbox in the template, and the .ecl tweak method you are describing above?
Old 20th May 2004, 00:47   #5  |  Link
quantum

Quote:
Originally posted by archaeo
there's a 'natural picture' checkbox in the CCE basic template tab - couldn't I just activate that at the very beginning of the process,
CCE starts and stops many times during an encode so there's no place to "just activate that at the very beginning" because there may be 50 or more beginnings.
Quote:
your earlier post you mention that the CCE internal filters are not much use...
I never said that. I think you're mixing me up with someone else. I think the CCE internal filters are perfectly adequate. I have experimented with the alternatives many times. For me, on low bitrate sources, I'll use the CCE internals.
Quote:
So there is a difference between using the 'natural picture' checkbox in the template, and the .ecl tweak method you are describing above?
You need to modify the .ecl file because DVD RB will access this file for each segment of the encode, then pass the information to CCE.
Old 20th May 2004, 16:24   #6  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

quantum,

I have CCE basic and have tried to find the following filter settings in the .ecl, as noted in your post:

======= NATURAL PICTURE PRESET (typical movie)
use_filter=1
h_filter_idx=8
filter_val=4
h_filter=1
quality_prec=16

I cannot locate any of these settings with a text search in the ecl created after prepare. My question was related to the template settings in CCE basic - there is a checkbox for 'natural picture'. I will try to do a comparison using this setting.

Oh, and by the way it was someone else that mentioned that he felt the internal filters in CCE weren't that useful. sorry
Old 20th May 2004, 17:30   #7  |  Link
DocDragon
"Free your mind..."

Quote:
Originally posted by archaeo
quantum,

I have CCE basic and have tried to find the following filter settings in the .ecl, as noted in your post:

======= NATURAL PICTURE PRESET (typical movie)
use_filter=1
h_filter_idx=8
filter_val=4
h_filter=1
quality_prec=16

I cannot locate any of these settings with a text search in the ecl created after prepare. My question was related to the template settings in CCE basic - there is a checkbox for 'natural picture'. I will try to do a comparison using this setting.
you have to ADD those lines into rebuilder.ecl...

i don't know if that has been suggested to jdobbs in the "suggestion" thread (and it's grown terribly big), but wouldn't it be great if those settings were available as templates in DVD-RB under the "advanced options" instead of manually inserting those lines? maybe another project for v0.50?

@quantum:
do you know if the "standard" template is used in CCE basic when encoding with DVD-RB? this would imply that i could simply change that specific template and wouldn't have to worry about inserting a million lines . i would feel like going back to batch programming !

DD

ps: i actually asked a similar question in this thread and found out that the results were hardly any different, but quantums filter settings are obviously much more "invasive" . i'll do some testing when i'm back home...

Last edited by DocDragon; 20th May 2004 at 17:41.
DocDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 19:01   #8  |  Link
quantum

The ecl key values may be completely different for CCE Basic than for CCE SP. Someone has to follow the directions I posted 6 messages ago in this thread and post the differences that are added when natural picture is selected in CCE Basic.

If that is done, I'll code a quick utility to automatically activate/deactive the filters, for both CCE Basic and CCE SP.
Old 20th May 2004, 19:59   #9  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

Quote:
The ecl key values may be completely different for CCE Basic than for CCE SP. Someone has to follow the directions I posted 6 messages ago in this thread and post the differences that are added when natural picture is selected in CCE Basic. If that is done, I'll code a quick utility to automatically activate/deactive the filters, for both CCE Basic and CCE SP.

I'll give it a try this weekend and report back. Thanks