Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 18th April 2010, 15:55   #1  |  Link
bonkabonk

How do I use the Xvid codec without really installing it?

My uni doesn't allow me to install Virtual Dub or the Xvid codec. I got vdub to work anyhow by just putting every DLL into vdubs directory.

So i wondered if there was a similar solution to my Xvid problem?

Is there a way to put all necessary files for the Xvid codec somewhere where Vdub can find them, which doesn't involve installing, or accessing system folders etc.?
Thanks!

I guess that in general my question is:

How do i make Virtualdub as portable as possible? (without using VirtualdubPortable, cos that one seems infected with spyware.)

Also, if anyone knows a codec which works with WMV under Linux/Ubuntu, i'd really like to know ...

- Dawn Summers

Last edited by bonkabonk; 18th April 2010 at 15:58.
bonkabonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 18:51   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Why not use xvid_encraw, ffmpeg, or some other self-contained frontend?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 19:58   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

VirtualDub is based on VfW (Video for Windows) and thus relies on VfW Codecs.

The entire idea behind VfW Codecs is to install the Codec system-wide, so any VfW-based application (e.g. VirtualDub) is able to use it.
Just putting the DLL of the VfW Codec into VirtualDub's install folder won't work, because the Codec must be registered to the operating system.

If you are looking for something like VirtualDub, but without the pain of having to rely on VfW, I highly recommend to you to give Avidemux a try.
Avidemux ships with all the required required encoder/decoders "built-in", so you won't need to install anything else on the system.
Also the ZIP package of Avidemux works "out of the box", so you can simply unzip to your home folder and it works. No Admin rights needed.

And if you don't mind using a command-line tool, use FFmpeg (or MEncoder), as suggested by Dark Shikari...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th April 2010 at 20:02.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 13:54   #4  |  Link
bonkabonk

boys, you are so helpful! unlike over at other forums which only tell you what you CAN'T do ....
2nd, the direct links are simply good service. and a understandable explanations are, you know, always nice.

Next set of annoying noobie questions:
Is there a program to detect which codecs ARE installed on that particular OS, so that i might re-code the vid, to another "type" of AVI, which IS acceptable to Vdub?

I'm asking, cos I just wanna know, and also, I need to do stuff that can only be done at the university, and the universitys comps are much more powerful than my 15 year old laptop....

- Dawn Summers

Last edited by Guest; 19th April 2010 at 14:38. Reason: rule 4
Old 19th April 2010, 14:25   #5  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkabonk View Post
Is there a program to detect which codecs ARE installed on that particular OS, so that i might re-code the vid, to another "type" of AVI, which IS acceptable to Vdub?
Goto "Video" -> "Compression" in VirtualDub to see a list of all the installed VfW Codecs available on your system

You can also use GraphStudio for that purpose, which is a great tool anyway:

(Note that only "ACM/ICM" Codecs listed under "Graph" -> "Inster Filter" -> "Video Compressors" are relevant to VirtualDub!)

Another option is the the "System Information" (msinfo32.exe) tool, but the list seems incomplete here:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3...tion201004.png

And to make this clear again: If you use Avidemux instead of VirtualDub, you won't need any "Codecs" to be installed on the computer!

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th April 2010 at 16:02.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:40   #6  |  Link
Boolsheet

The shortest way I know to register a vfw codec, is to create a string (like "vidc.XVID"="xvidvfw.dll" ) in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\" in the registry.
But the way you describe your system, it's probably restricted anyway.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:47   #7  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolsheet View Post
The shortest way I know to register a vfw codec, is to create a string (like "vidc.XVID"="xvidvfw.dll" ) in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\" in the registry.
But the way you describe your system, it's probably restricted anyway.
The "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" part is the problem, if you don't have an Admin account
Old 19th April 2010, 16:37   #8  |  Link
bonkabonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post

Another option is the the "System Information" (msinfo32.exe) tool, but the list seems incomplete here:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3...tion201004.png

And to make this clear again: If you use Avidemux instead of VirtualDub, you won't need any "Codecs" to be installed on the computer!
1. oddly enough, my sysinfo DID actually gave me all the things i saw under vdub. Now, i found a set of pc's which arent' as restricted as the other ones.
2. Avidemux is a sympathetic tool, but i haven't used it much, and yes i'm lazy to learn when it's not needed .... sue me It's not that I don't like Avidemux, it's just really so much more comfortable using stuff I know, like vdub.
3. Thanks!

- Dawn Summers

Last edited by bonkabonk; 19th April 2010 at 16:39.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:10   #9  |  Link
b66pak

off topic...

Quote:
without using VirtualdubPortable, cos that one seems infected with spyware.
are you talking about the version from p o r t a b l e a p p s . c o m ? could you elaborate on this?
_
b66pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 20:56   #10  |  Link
bonkabonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
off topic...

are you talking about the version from p o r t a b l e a p p s . c o m ? could you elaborate on this?
_
why are you writing this with spaces?

and yes aVast gave this a warning, but yes it could have been infected with a a w32 virut gen worm or virus ...

at your own risk.

For the portable Firefox, from the same site, McAFee gives a warning for two of it's HTMLS of all files, the helpfile.html and another one, so ....

- Dawn Summers
Old 19th April 2010, 21:48   #11  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Probably a FALSE POSITIVE once again. In such case, it's always good to get a second opposition

Check the suspicious file at http://www.virustotal.com/ where it will be checked with 41 different anti-virus engines.

Also: Why don't you get VirtualDub from the official web-site? It's already "portable" as-is...
Old 21st April 2010, 11:59   #12  |  Link
bonkabonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Probably a FALSE POSITIVE once again. In such case, it's always good to get a second opposition

Check the suspicious file at http://www.virustotal.com/ where it will be checked with 41 different anti-virus engines.

Also: Why don't you get VirtualDub from the official web-site? It's already "portable" as-is...
i'm heavily using Vdub, but on some parts of the network, the XVID codec is not used, so I caN'T use it there. I've recoded some stuff with MS1 codecs ... sadly.

Also, that site, who's to say that they themselves:
1. don't detecting everything, because they're apps just aren't that good?
2. don't detecting everything, because they're hacked by baddies?
3. don't detecting everything, because they're hackers themselves?

- Dawn Summers
Old 21st April 2010, 13:06   #13  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
1. don't detecting everything, because they're apps just aren't that good?
They use a huge number of different anti-virus engines, including all the popular ones used in commercial anti-virus software. So instead of getting the opinion from one single anti-virus engine, which easily can be wrong (FALSE POSITIVES do happen in reality), you get the opinions of more than 40 different anti-virus engines. That clearly is much more reliable result!

Quote:
2. don't detecting everything, because they're hacked by baddies?
3. don't detecting everything, because they're hackers themselves?
This cannot be guaranteed, of course. But http://www.virustotal.com/ definitely is one of the most popular "online" scanners. It also got good ratings from various computer magazines. So you can say that they have good reputation! Why should they risk that? And really, from personal usage I can clearly say that they won't give you a "100% clean" for all files. In my experience their results match what you get from a locally installed scanner. I even use VirusTotal to scan my own files that I know for sure are "clean", because I want to know which anti-virus engines trigger FALSE POSTIVES with my files...

After all, who's to say that Google doesn't willingly hide the best search results from you? Or who is to say that the Bill Gates himself doesn't read all your personal e-mails sent via your Hotmail account? Or who is to say Doom9 isn't actually run by the RIAA and MPAA? We can't know for sure, but we use it anyway. Don't we?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st April 2010 at 14:22.

Tags
codec, portable, virtualdub, xvid