Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th February 2016, 00:42   #36461  |  Link
XMonarchY

What does
Quote:
* added support for native 10bit 4:2:0 DXVA decoding (+ scaling)
mean? I recall I could play 10bit 4:2:0 videos with "DXVA2 Copy-Back" enabled in LAV Filters and it was just fine...

"Processing done by GPU Video Logic" - is this what madshi meant?

BTW, LAV Filters does show hardware support for HEVC on my GTX 980 through DXVA2 Copy-Back acceleration. I guess its only for 8bit content then. If 8bit is enough, why would HEVC rips start using 10bit anyway? Using 10bit would increase file size, wouldn't it?

Is NVidia CUVID still an inferior option to DXVA2 Copy-Back? Does it still produce artifacts after all the driver updates, LAV updates, and madVR updates?

Last edited by XMonarchY; 25th February 2016 at 00:45.
Old 25th February 2016, 00:53   #36462  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What does

mean? I recall I could play 10bit 4:2:0 videos with "DXVA2 Copy-Back" enabled in LAV Filters and it was just fine...

BTW, LAV Filters does show hardware support for HEVC on my GTX 980 through DXVA2 Copy-Back acceleration. I guess its only for 8bit content then. If 8bit is enough, why would HEVC rips start using 10bit anyway? Using 10bit would increase file size, wouldn't it?

Is NVidia CUVID still an inferior option to DXVA2 Copy-Back? Does it still produce artifacts after all the driver updates, LAV updates, and madVR updates?
You need at least 10bits for the wider gamut and HDR. In fact, 12bits is the minimum according to Dolby (Vision).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 00:58   #36463  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
You need at least 10bits for the wider gamut and HDR. In fact, 12bits is the minimum according to Dolby (Vision).
No, I'm pretty sure all of the sources are 10-bit. I have seen the official UHD Blu-ray specs. 12-bit sources are listed as a (possible) future upgrade but are not part of the current standard.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 01:00   #36464  |  Link
clsid

That changelog entry only concerns the "native" variant of DXVA2. That requires special handling from the video renderer. Copy-back acts as a normal decoder as far as renderers (and other downstream filters) are concerned.

Your GTX 980 provides partial acceleration. That means it does not have a dedicated decoder unit for HEVC, but uses generic GPU and CPU resources to do the decoding. That is much less efficient and slower compared to full acceleration.

10bit does not necessarily make things bigger. In fact, it can sometimes even provide similar quality at lower size.

CUVID is inferior due to broken NVIDIA drivers. LAV and madVR are NOT at fault.
Old 25th February 2016, 01:00   #36465  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
I have neither HDR nor 3D and only normal sRGB/Rec.709 colorspace, but my TV has 12bit output. I guess it makes no difference for anyone without HDR and wide colorspace? I thought no 4K TV could reproduce UHD colorspace yet...
Old 25th February 2016, 01:02   #36466  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
What does

I don't think you are getting actual fixed-function hardware decoding but hybrid decoding instead, where part of the GPU is used to decode the HEVC content. But this impacts the performance of the GPU and will not do much of anything to improve the speed of HEVC decoding.

The only fixed-function HEVC decoders are found in the new Intel iGPU (which are 8-bit) and the Nvidia GTX 950/960, which are 10-bit.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 01:11   #36467  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
I have neither HDR nor 3D and only normal sRGB/Rec.709 colorspace, but my TV has 12bit output. I guess it makes no difference for anyone without HDR and wide colorspace? I thought no 4K TV could reproduce UHD colorspace yet...
Even if your display does not have HDR your PC still has to be fast enough to decode the 10 bit HEVC video. 4k can bring fast CPUs to its limits.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 01:47   #36468  |  Link
huhn

[QUOTE=XMonarchY;1758464]What does

Quote:
* added support for native 10bit 4:2:0 DXVA decoding (+ scaling)
that madVR can accept p010 from DXVA native and it can scale these using DXVA.
Quote:
this is hybrid decoding which is pretty much a waste of time. the performence gain from CPU only is very little. 10 bit encoding lowers needed bitrate.
Quote:
it's just buggy and 10 bit isn't supported.
Quote:
it doesn't matter if they can't reproduce the color space 100%. and i wouldn't be shocked if it will take 5+ year before we reach 100% BT 2020 on a payable display.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 01:52   #36469  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The only fixed-function HEVC decoders are found in the new Intel iGPU (which are 8-bit) and the Nvidia GTX 950/960, which are 10-bit.
AMD's Fury cards and Carrizo also have HEVC fixed function 8 bit decoder afaik.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 01:54   #36470  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
AMD's Fury cards and Carrizo also have HEVC fixed function 8 bit decoder afaik.
that's correct. the 3xx series has this decoder.
Old 25th February 2016, 02:13   #36471  |  Link
aufkrawall

It's a bit more complex (or confusing):
AMD 3xx series also consists of rebranded GCN GPUs (even GCN 1.0).
Afaik GCN 1.2 Tonga GPUs (r9 380 and r9 380X) have a hybrid 8 bit HEVC decoder.
Only very recent Fiji cards (Fury X, Fury, Fury Nano) and Carrizo SoC have fixed function 8 bit HEVC decoder (but no 10 bit capability either).
All other GCN GPUs don't have HEVC decoding capabilities.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 25th February 2016 at 02:19.
Old 25th February 2016, 02:21   #36472  |  Link
baii

But I don't see 8bit hevc going to be used much , if at all.
So the word again, is wait.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 02:37   #36473  |  Link
aufkrawall

Agreed, HEVC 8 bit decoding capability seems quite useless to me as well.
Old 25th February 2016, 08:07   #36474  |  Link
Uoppi

Could someone clarify what "crop black bars" is supposed to do? Should it zoom/scale the bars away or keep them visible (providing player is not set to zoom and madVR is set to lose no image content)?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 08:15   #36475  |  Link
huhn

it is there to remove hard coded black bars from videos.
Old 25th February 2016, 08:16   #36476  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Could someone clarify what "crop black bars" is supposed to do? Should it zoom/scale the bars away or keep them visible (providing player is not set to zoom and madVR is set to lose no image content)?
and does it provide a performance boost with files that have black bars when they are cropped by madvr?
Old 25th February 2016, 08:19   #36477  |  Link
huhn

depends.

but in most cases you have to scale the image more which could be slower.

and removing blackbar without resizing the image is unreliable so you can really take advantage of the performance boost.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:29   #36478  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure all of the sources are 10-bit. I have seen the official UHD Blu-ray specs. 12-bit sources are listed as a (possible) future upgrade but are not part of the current standard.
Sorry, you are pretty wrong

UHD Bluray encoded with Dolby Vision (all Sony titles, Warner as well I think, Fox is the only one skipping on both Dolby Vision and immersive audio on their initial releases, which is why I'm boycotting them) provide a 10bits HDR10 layer for compatibility with non Dolby Vision displays, and an optional Dolby Vision layer which adds 12bits bit depth using a 1080p layer. Dolby Vision is part of the UHD Bluray specs, it's just an optional layer. Only HDR10 is mandatory.

Dolby (who created PQ gamma) states that 12bits is the minimal bit depth to resolve 4K/UH in PQ Gamma/WCG/HDR without any banding. With HDR10, there is still banding in the picture, especially in the low end.

Of course Dolby could be saying this to justify Dolby Vision, which is why I said "according to Dolby".

Bottom line in no meaningful content will be available in 8bits. UHDTV requires 10bits rec709 minimum, and UHD Bluray requires 10bits as well, WCG or not, and supports 12 bits with Dolby Vision.

Although the new JVCs don't support Dolby Vision, they offer a 12bits path from the input to the panels, hopefully in preparation for Dolby Vision support. The main value of Dolby Vision at this stage is that unlike HDR10, it's possible to calibrate a display accurately with Dolby Vision. Unfortunately it requires hardware support in the source and the display, and a pay-for license.

Of course someone with an 8bits, rec-709 display doesn't care about this, but in that case upscaling bluray is probably a better idea anyway.

Probably time to get back on topic, I'm sure Madshi has better things to do than reading all this in his thread...
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 25th February 2016 at 10:13.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:33   #36479  |  Link
Arm3nian

Video specs are only half the story in determining if you can decode in real time or not. The other half is the bitrate. Specs do not determine the bit rate alone, the compression also has a role. I can screen capture uncompressed 1080p 24fps 8 bit RGB and it will have a higher bitrate than 4k bluray releases. But you also have to consider the software decoder implementation. How efficient is it at decoding avc vs hevc. There are too many variables.

My 4.2GHz 5820k can decode the 4k 10bit 60fps hevc clip from Samsung that was posted a few pages back with no problems. It hovers at around 50% usage.

Most UHD blurays will have a bitrate similar to each other, and the standard has a maximum, so if you can decode that, then you're good to go for bluray. But that doesn't mean you can decode anything. A high bitrate file encoded at the fastest setting would most likely encourage your CPU to commit suicide.

For UHD, you don't need gpu decoding if you have a fairly modern cpu with a decent overclock. But it still would help since it's more efficient at doing it and doesn't turn your room into an oven and cause fans to ramp up.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:40   #36480  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Probably time to get back on topic, I'm sure Madshi has better things to do than reading all this in his thread...
Why is this even being discussed here. Let's go flood the lav thread instead. Onward brothers!
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling