Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 29th October 2009, 19:32   #2461  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Stax, do you recommend to edit the audio delay in Staxrip according to the findings of MediaInfo or I should leave it at what it picks from the filename?
Old 29th October 2009, 21:08   #2462  |  Link
stax76

Depends on the demuxer and source, I've only experience with DVD and SD DVB where where the demuxers do fine.
Old 29th October 2009, 23:07   #2463  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Demuxer is the dgavc...
Old 30th October 2009, 06:01   #2464  |  Link
kevbo

Use Yadif for 720p TV?

I'm just starting out converting ATSC MPEG-2 to H264. I've used StaxRip for DVD conversions, and conversions of older 480i TV content, but never this.

So, my source is 1280x720 ATSC 720p MPEG-2.

It seems to me that, in the default list of filters that shows up when I run StaxRip 1.1.2.0, the only one I need is Source. Yadif seems to be totally inappropriate, as I have 720p content and I don't need to de-interlace. I don't need crop, because I want the full image.

The thing that's weird is that I ran an encode with yadif _enabled_, before I thought about it. It made 44 minutes of show to be about 1.2G. I reran the encode and disabled yadif, and the resulting file is larger, 1.65GB.

So, what should it be? I assume that Yadif actually did something...was it bad? The size difference there is pretty significant...what size should I be looking for, ballpark, for 44 minutes of video @ 1280x720p? The .h264 file was about 1.5GB. (the audio is just raw .ac3).
Old 30th October 2009, 06:51   #2465  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
1.1.2 beta
  • Fixed x264 command line generation for --nr and --rc-lookahead switches
  • Updated x264 to rev 1310 and added new options for --b-pyramid
  • Improved default handling for various source formats

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sta....0.7z/download

@Brother John

1.1.2 has it fixed hopefully
Thanks Stax.
Old 30th October 2009, 07:16   #2466  |  Link
stax76

@w4tt4n4b3

I'm pretty sure discussion of encoding of DVB captures is permitted. regarding dgavc please use the dgavc thread, I've little experience with it.

@kevbo

I'm not a filter expert, you could create a dedicated thread if you want to know exact. Probably Yadif smoothed the image which increased the compressibility, the difference is surprisingly big.
Old 30th October 2009, 09:59   #2467  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Stax 1.2 crashes when I start up. It was caused when on first start(clean install) I pressed browse custom directory and thats when staxrip crashed.

I have emailed you the diagnostic files.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:48   #2468  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

Quote:
You mean ffdshow is registered and used as YV12 decoder but StaxRip still ask to run the setup?
Exactly, at least VDubMod uses ffdshow. When I enable YV12 in ffdshow’s VfW config and additionally manually add the vidc.YV12 registry entry (that wasn’t there before) and set it to ff_vfw.dll, then StaxRip works as well.

– Freshly installed Win XP Home 32bit, SP3 and current patches
– StaxRip 1.1.2.0 beta
– ffdshow version Oct 18 2009 18:16:02 (msvc 2008, x86, unicode, r3111)
– Xvid 1.2.2 (the one included with StaxRip)
– VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Old 31st October 2009, 01:56   #2469  |  Link
stax76

@flebber

Thanks, I'll upload a new version shortly.

@Brother John

It means then the VFW function StaxRip calls works only with the vidc.YV12 reg key, maybe I can find a function that works without this key.

Last edited by stax76; 31st October 2009 at 01:59.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:00   #2470  |  Link
JeepinPete

Audio sync issues

Just started using x264, and after poor results with Megui, I tried Staxrip. After taking a bit of time to get use to the workflow, I am very pleased with the results, except for the audio being out of sync with the video. I've encoded roughly 30 movies so far. Roughly half have audio sync issues.

A little background on what I am doing. In the past, I have ripped ~150 dvds using DVD Decrypter or DVD shrink, combining all the 1Gb VOB files into one VOB file, and stripping out all the menus and other BS. I use VLC player to watch the files, since MPC has always had tracking issues with the VOB files (IOW, it would skip through parts of the film).

Now I am converting the VOB files, starting the the quality setting, and making the following changes: Average Quantizer =19; Deblocking set at -1,-1; Partition P4X4 checked; Audio using existing file, in most cases the AC3 extracted from the VOB files. The video results are great, and the resulting MKV files work well in MPC.

The audio issues seems to be a simple offset. If I mess around with the delay settings in the player, I can get things right. So I guess I have two questions, one, why is the audio off, and two, is there anything I can do with the files I've already made to fix them?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 31st October 2009, 18:37   #2471  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Stax, I get this error when I encode with Staxrip an edited .ts file ...
The ts editors I used is h264ts_cutter and TSPE.
Error
------------------------------------------------------------

The following error occurred:

x264 Encoder failed with exit code 3

avis [info]: 512x576 @ 25.00 fps (162579 frames)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast FastShuffle SSEMisalign LZCNT
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 3.0
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I used the 1.1.1.0 version

Then I loaded the file on 1.1.9 version and got:
Error
------------------------------------------------------------

x264 Encoder failed with exit code 3

avis [info]: 512x560 @ 25.00 fps (174996 frames)
x264 [info]: using SAR=16/11
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast FastShuffle SSEMisalign LZCNT
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 3.0
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Now I cut 16 mins from the source file an accidental cut and load it. This time the 16mins file is encoded successfully so I start to believe is there any kind problem that staxrip may have depending the cutting points/frames, whether they are I-frames, b-frames or anything else?
The crash happens during the second pass...

Edit: The reason I suspect it has to be the editing applications that cause the problem is because if I load the source file without editing it then staxrip encodes it perfectly.

Last edited by w4tt4n4b3; 31st October 2009 at 18:56.
Old 1st November 2009, 18:14   #2472  |  Link
vidmen

X264-AC3 not snyc

Hello,
i have some problems by using staxrip 1.1.2.0

Source is a recorded Film by DVBViewer

Vid: ts
Aud: 5.1 DD

by splitt vid and aud in ProjectX everthing ist fine
after cutting the film ( commercials ) and selecting
the target format
Conatiner : mkv
Video : x264
Audio: "add existing" AC3-File ( Dont want to loose the 5.1 property )

everything is send to Virtualdub to create a cutted soundfile
in AC-Format

after complete recoding process Vid and Aud are not sync !!!

the first part is always fine
but if you reach the second part ( the first commercial cut )
the audio is always unsync.

is there anybody knowing whats going wrong here ?

if i record a film without commercial and the complete film
is one "block", everything is fine.

please help

vidmen
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:50   #2473  |  Link
stax76

@vidmen

Problem could be ProjectX as it don't demux the video, when I noticed this it was too late because I couldn't find a old version that still did. Other problem is VirtualDubMod might fail on captured AC3 files, on DVD sources it seems reliable. I'm not sure what options you have, I'm using DVBViever everyday but hardly ever encode captures, even if I did I don't use AC3. You could try not cutting with StaxRip but use a external application like ProjectX, there are lots of MPEG-2 cutting tools.

@w4tt4n4b3

Runtime termination in x264 happens often due to a bug in a library used by dgavcdec. You could try to use a dshow decoder instead, in version 1.1.2 in the options under Preperation you would remove the dga extension from the dgavcdec preparer. The preparer is still active then meaning dgavcindex will demux the source file but StaxRip don't change the source file to dga after the Preparer finished, this means the source file don't change and thus will be handled with DirectShowSource. You don't have to manually change your source filter to DirectShowSource as StaxRip will notice when a incompatible source filter is used and try to detect which source filter to use best. You have to install a AVC dshow decoder like ffdshow. You also have to disable decoding preparers as you get audio demuxed by dgavcdec.

@JeepinPete

Sync issues with DVD sources are often caused by tiny cells of the DVD structure, if you don't need subs you can trim in the beginning with DGIndex. DVD Decrypter can disable tiny cells, DVD Shrink can also trim in the beginning, there is a video on how to do it, you can find a link to it in the initial post of this thread.

@flebber

StaxRip assumed the template dir contains only StaxRip templates, in your case it contained some other files, StaxRip might have damages this files as it tries to update the templates! It crashes when a file is locked which happened in your case, I've changed it to only look for StaxRip template files. Better use a dedicated dir for StaxRip settings!
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:59   #2474  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Quote:
@w4tt4n4b3

Runtime termination in x264 happens often due to a bug in a library used by dgavcdec. You could try to use a dshow decoder instead, in version 1.1.2 in the options under Preperation you would remove the dga extension from the dgavcdec preparer. The preparer is still active then meaning dgavcindex will demux the source file but StaxRip don't change the source file to dga after the Preparer finished, this means the source file don't change so the source files will be handled with DirectShowSource. You don't have to manually change your source filter to DirectShowSource as StaxRip will notice when a incompatible source filter is used and try to detect which source filter to use best. You have to install a AVC dshow decoder like ffdshow. You also have to disable decoding preparers as you get audio demuxed by dgavcdec.
Thanks, stax for the detailed reply. I have ffdshow installed in my pc. It is the 3072 revision.
This is great support for someone addicted to your application...
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:26   #2475  |  Link
JeepinPete

Thanks for giving me some direction. I did a search on blank cells to get more info (couldn't find the video instructions). Sure enough, the first video I checked tonight had a couple seconds of blank space.

Now my next question. I already .264 file and the AC3 file. Is there any way of editing the .264 file rather than going through the entire encoding process again? That would save 5-6 hours on my computer...

Thanks again,
Pete
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:53   #2476  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Stax, in the Preparations there are 2 options regarding DGAVC index, one is extension as you said the other by format. I will deactivate the by extension option only?
And how do I disable the audio decode preparers?
There is an option that says Decode audio using DirectShow. Should I leave this one enabled?
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:11   #2477  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Now my next question. I already .264 file and the AC3 file. Is there any way of editing the .264 file rather than going through the entire encoding process again? That would save 5-6 hours on my computer...
Best create a dedicated thread: How to mux .264 and .ac3 file with unknown delay

Quote:
in the Preparations there are 2 options regarding DGAVC index
Both were merged lately, I think already in the latest release, you can remove dga from both.

Quote:
There is an option that says Decode audio using DirectShow. Should I leave this one enabled?
The dshow one is set for wmv sources only, the ffmpeg one is set for ts sources, since audio is demuxed no decoding is needed so you can disable both.
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:15   #2478  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

From Staxrip log...
Decoding ts using ffdshow.
The speed I get is surreal...

Edit: Encoding right now with 1.1.1.9...
I will download the 1.1.2 version later...

Edit No2: Stax, your instructions did the job. Encoding time in the end increased though. At some point it was 110fps and then started gradually but constantly dropping...
While the encoding was being executed there were 2 other applications visible, ffdshow decoder (avc1, ffmpeg) and haali splitter...

Last edited by w4tt4n4b3; 3rd November 2009 at 08:27.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:10   #2479  |  Link
w4tt4n4b3

Reporting from the encoding frontier...
I used the 1.1.2 version. I disabled (unchecked) the Demux and Index AVC using DGAvc Index and also the Decode audio using DirectShow...
and go again the x264 Encoder failed with exit code -1

avis [info]: 1904x1072 @ 25.00 fps (131741 frames)
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 4.0
x264 [error]: x264_encoder_encode failed

message halfway through the encoding process...
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:16   #2480  |  Link
Lupissimo

Trying my "German HDTV" file I created the following template:

1. Preparation: disable Decode ts using ffdshow
disable Decode using audio DirectShow

2. Edited the Demux and index AVC using DGAVCIndex : to read Video Output Extensions: ( deleted dga)

With this the file can be edited and is encoded without error. But whenever I change the focus to another window Staxrip Log does not respond anymore and I have to kill the process.

Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265